Interested in adding an oil cooler to your 3.7? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Interested in adding an oil cooler to your 3.7?

First off, most may not require an oil cooler in their street driven 3.7. In my case, I track mine once or twice a month on some local road courses, and I do get the engine hotter than most other 3.7's.

In my search to help cool the engine oil a bit, I searched and looked at the oil filter "sandwich" plates, that allow to install a cooler up front by the radiator, and plum lines to it. I looked at the Boss 302 oil cooler setup that installs on a 5.0 and thought I could do some mods to make that work; this uses the lower radiator hose to route cooled water around the oil at the oil filter area. Ford is using this on the Boss 302 R and S, and on the police interceptor models for years.

Then I remembered that Ford is installing the 3.7 in the F150's. I looked at the F150 STX (2013), and sure enough, they have an oil cooler. Look at the pics below. The radiator on the F150 is simular to ours, so the radiator to engine block hose (part #7) and it's oil coolant hoses to the oil filter adaptor (part #15) will make this a bolt on process. The price for all this is $34.54 for the hose, $78.41 for the oil filter plate/cooler line, and $8.91 (part #16) for the part that attaches the cooler to the block and oil filter screws onto.

I could do this for less if I went the way of buying a oil filter plate and cooler that mounted up front, but I like the clean look of Ford's setup, and this is effective, as they use this arrangement in the Boss, the towing package for the trucks equipped with the 3.7, and cars sold to police departments. I've ordered the parts, and will install within a week or so. I'll recall this post and put some pictures of the install on my 2011 Mustang to those that are interested in doing the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.7_engine_oil_cooler_oil_filter_adaptor.gif
Views:	2712
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	147588   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.7_radiator hose_with_oil_cooler_lines.gif
Views:	2431
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	147589  

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Here's a picture of the 3.7 engine used in the F150; you can see the oil cooler/oil filter adaptor installed with it's two male connectors that connect to the oil cooler lines that route to the radiator hose (part number #7):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-ford-f-150-37l-v6-engine.jpg
Views:	4459
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	147590  
Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
This is a great find bucko, If all works out on the install, i would love to do this to my Mustang
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I may only have to modify the the radiator hose (part #7) bottom that connects to the radiator nipple, as it looks like the truck radiator used a "snap and clip" style connection, whereas the 2011 V6 radiator hose uses a clamp. Should be simple enough, even if I have to use a piece of PVC pipe and a 90 degree elbow after cutting off this plastic connector.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Wow that is bad *** bucko. Please take a lot of pics and do a write up on this, as I would really like to do it too.
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
[Spock Like EyeBrow movement]...Interesting...Even Fascinating...[/Spock]

Thanks Bucko, I've been concerned about heat and heat soak myself on a few Road Course and Oval track from time to time. This seems like a very economical way to get this covered. It could even be a magazine article when done?

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Haha. Wow I was just thinking about this when I was at the ford dealer and looking at the specs of the new ford trucks and saw the oil cooler.

All I thought was it would be neat to have it in the mustangs. But that's only how far I got with my thought. Lol.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It's pricy to add the parts, but since I abuse the 3.7 somewhat on those weekend getaways, I figured it's worth it. My local Ford dealer atually had the hose in stock, but wanted the full MSRP price for it (64 bucks), so I did better to order it from a Ford internet parts supplier. They did however allow me to take it outside and match it up agains the Mustang. From the thermostat housing connection down to the radiator inlet (lower connection), the length is good (identical), but the lower connector on the F150's hose does use a snap ring to connect to the radiator, whereas my 2011 uses a clamp. I'll need to cut off this connector, and fab in a piece of pvc pipe to connect the new hose to the old lower hose. I'll measure and take plenty of pics with this simple mod and post here when I install. As to the lines that connect to the oil cooler/oil filter box (part number #15), that will all be "plug and drive".
Old 02-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Update:

If you plan to do this mod, start looking for part #15 first!

I purchased the truck 3.7 V6 lower hose first, as it contains the two center "taps" that run to the oil cooler at the oil filter location. Knowing that the lower part of this hose will require some modification, I figured this would be my first purchase. At $34.54, it seemed the wise choice. Next I ordered the cooler itself; this becomes the problem. I used Tasca Ford, as they have great prices on OEM Ford parts. After two days, I got an email from them stating they had to cancel the order, due to this part being on backorder, with a TBD date, which basically meant it did not have a date as to when the manufacturer whould have them. I got persistant, and contacted a large Ford truck fleet sales dealer in brandon Florida. They did not have one, but gave me the phone numbers of two Ford dealers that showed them having them on their shelf. First call, nope. Second call, yep, they had one. He took my payment over the phone, and is shipping it out to me.

He also informed me that these coolers are used on the 3.5's as well as the 3.7's.

So, if you plan this mod, either wait until this part becomes easily accessable, or start looking now for a dealer that may have one on their shelf. here's the part number for this cooler piece (part #15 in the picture): BL3Z6A642D

Prices range from $78.41 to $186.00 for this part. I'd start with this one first. The hose is easily obtainable.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Got the cooler installed today 3-22-2014). It was actually easy to do. The only thing I had to do was to trim off (shorten) the two hoses that attach to the oil filter cooler part. The F150 hose with these two hoses worked fine for our Mustang, requiring the end cut off that connects to the radiator.

If anyone decides to add one of these, give me a PM, and I'll provide some additional details.

But this is an easy mod to do in your own driveway or garage with simple tools (plyers to remove the hose clamps, and a pan to dran the radiator coolant). Here are the steps:

Update: Finished the install this past weekend. Easy install:

1) Drain the oil, and remove the oil filter.

2) Using a large allen wrench (cannot remember the size, but the new "tube" is the same size), remove the center threaded "tube" (oil filter threads onto this). The new oil cooler comes with a longer "tube"

3) Place the oil cooler over the oil filter location, then thread in the longer "tube". Use the large allen wrench to tighten the "tube", then spin on the new oil filter.

4) Fill with new oil.

5) Remove lower engine cover to expose the radiator drain plug (on passenger side). It's a plastic plug. Drain the radiator.

6) Remove the lower radiator hose to engine thermostat connection. Using the new F150 radiator hose, cut off the end that has a plastic connector (used for the F150 3.7 radiators). Then cut back about 3 inches from the lower hose. Using a 2 inch diameter by 3 inch in length radiator hose coupler (Jeggs or Summit sells these; your local parts store may have them), install the coupler to each end, and clamp lightly, as the lower 3 inch cut allows the lower part of the hose to rotate slightly to align with the Mustang's lower radiator coupler.

7) I had to trim off about 2 inches from the tubes that connect to the oil cooler couplers. It took about two trial fits and trims to get the F150 hose with its oil cooler hoses to all fit perfectly without any kinks. It works!

8) Tighten all the hose clamps, make sure the radiator drain plug is closed, and refill the radiator via the deguase bottle (the over flow tank). Install the cap back onto the over flow tank. Turn the heat to full, start the engine, and allow the engine to reach operating temperature. Shut off the engine, allow to cool, then slowly remove the overflow tank cap, allowing pressure to release. Turn the cap slowly! Fill the overflow to the correct fill line. You may have to repeat this cycle, allowing for any air in the cooling system to "burp" its way out.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
So how are the results of the install. I assume you have run it rather hard since it's finished?
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The only issue here is that now you're transfering additional heat to the coolant, but did not upgrade the radiator (unless you did and i missed it). You're correct this is the same method they use on the Boss and Track pack GTs, however, they also include an upgraded radiator to handle the additional heat. I dont know if the 3.7 unit is particularly lacking in stock form, but if you're not careful, all you've succeeded in doing is heating up your coolant.

Very clean and clever install, i dont mean to take away from that at all, just wanting to make sure you get the most for your efforts.

My girlfriend and i have a track day August 2nd / 3rd, and i will see if i can get her instructor to datalog 1 or 2 of her laps and will compare the coolant temps, intake temps, and any timing changes. Do you have any means of measuring your oils ttemp / pressure? We do not on her car, so i guess all we can really compare is coolant vs ambient temps.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I don't think the 3.7 has any real cooling issues so it should be fine. Plenty of open space around the engine for heat to vent, unlike the 5.0's.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's not really a factor, its the physical cooling capacity of the radiator to dissipate heat (or now the additional heat).
Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Stumbled back on this doing some research Bucko, any feedback after all this time?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:51 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Worked great. As far as I know, it's still on the car (sold it awhile back). I had to modify the lower hose slightly so it would clamp to the radiator by using a hose extender (straight piece of pipe with two clamps). IMO, a very good mod to help keep the oil cooler.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have all OEM F150 parts sitting in my garage to do this swap, just haven't done it yet.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang