Double mid pipe for better sound?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Double mid pipe for better sound??

So I really tried to do a search to find a thread that was similar, even one that just talked about exhaust sound from mid pipe installs and found nothing. Well long story short I recently installed factory 5.0 H pipe. Off the bat the sound was a lot deeper upon startup and on the highway I noticed the car I felt a lot quicker on upper RPM's, around 4200 4300 and above. I still have not done in the car so I don't know if there's any games but then again I've never done in the car so I have no idea what my bass power is at or any of the numbers. My main concern is the sound of my car now. When I had the hybrid mid pipe I noticed a slight burble sound. I really liked it and wanted to enhance it, make it louder. so I thought adding the H pipe, which most people say will give you that more "muscle car" sound, should do the trick. Well it did improve in some areas but the areas I wanted it to improve on it didn't. As of now it sounds great up until 2700 rpm and then it just flattens out into this droned Tacoma PreRunner exhaust sound.

Anyways, long story short I'm planning on trying to sell the car so I can upgrade for a 5.0 but in the meantime I wanted to see if I can maybe put back the factory hybrid midsection while keeping the the H section of the midpipe installed. I don't know if anyone has done that before what it would do to install a double h-pipe or a double X pipe. I have no idea if I'm even thinking I along the right lines with this lol.

Any thoughts on this would be great!
For now as is my car is stock exhaust with the Magnaflow Street Series axlebacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
These types of mods are trial and error. In this case, we can benefit from your trial, and learn from it. I thank you for sharing this experience, but I'll guess that's not helping you in your wallet.

In reading up on exhaust installs, I've learned that larger diameter pipes for exhaust does not always mean more power. An engine can work better in a certain RPM range with back pressure. It has to do with its ability to scavange the burnt mixture from the cylinder during the exhaust piston cycle. But, what engines work best with what type of pipe size, and withing the power band (sweet spot)? This is the million dollar question.

Thanks for sharing. I guess we can go after sound, go after power, and hope that sometimes we get both, with the same mod. And sometimes we can say that Ford got it right when they did it they way they did. But there's always room for improvement!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It is something id like to try if I dont end up selling my car. Im trying to get a factory V6 hybrid section so I can fit it back in WHILE keeping the GT H in there...im sure it cant worsen the power any less than stock...I do have a tune on the ecu so im sure thats whats helping my car out but sound for now is most important lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

There are more and more 2011 and up Mustangs showing up at the boneyard these days, so buying a used exhaust part should not be an issue. Ebay has many used Mustang parts for sale by these yards. Some even offer free freight shipping.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ive checked ebay a few times but not too much. Ive seen a few in junk yards but most are hit or miss where im from. Sometimes they dont even sell exhaust parts here. Ill look into ebay a bit more though.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I've also found that if a boneyard that advertises on Ebay does not have the part posted that you are looking for, send them a note through Ebay. I've been able to get afew parts this way. Funny thing, I usually find the part I just bought this way advertised the following week on Ebay!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ill try that...

Old 02-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #8
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Double mid pipe? Sounds restrictive. Sounds like extra weight.
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
So wait, are you saying you want two midpipes basically? Like two places where your exhaust crosses over?

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ya pretty much....I dont see it drastically hurtting my performance but even if it does im really just looking to change the sound

Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Dude I have that midpipe section we talked about. Clear your inbox and I'll pm you
Floridasixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang