ABS Traction Control Lights On - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
ABS Traction Control Lights On

I have a 2012 V6 that has had intermittent traction control issues since 9000 miles, it now has 54,000. Traction Control light illuminations and engages ABS system while driving. It typically happens between 30 -40 mph while driving straight down the road. A few occasions while turning left onto freeway on ramps. I live in Phoenix so it never is wet here to have tire spin from wet surfaces. One time it also illuminated the "Service Advance Trac". The dealer said codes are non specific and can not figure it out. They are guessing speed sensor or Yaw (?) sensor but wont replace without a definitive diagnosis. Last week when it occurred it completely locked the brakes up and I could not go over 20 mph. Anyone else with this problem? I have wrecked the car into a curb once while it was doing it and now with brakes locking up while going down the road I am desperate to find a solution before my car kills me.
lilmonte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmonte1 View Post
I have wrecked the car into a curb once while it was doing it and now with brakes locking up while going down the road I am desperate to find a solution before my car kills me.
Is your dealer aware of this Dangerous behavior your car is now doing? Some Lawyers would be ready to sue them if it caused an injury because they cant fix a dangerous car?

Yes I took the above out to the end of pier of normal reason, but for making a point. Your dealer and talking to Ford, they need to take it serious or you should see a lawyer if your already in minor accidents with the car.

Has your dealer been talking to the Ford reps about this and telling them about the minor accident you had already?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had some intermittent issues with my Advancetrac and it turned out to be air in the brake lines. Bleeding the brakes fixed it. It has been 15000+ miles since my last incident.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Have the dealer install a loop monitor on the system. Essentially, it is a black box that tracks what the system does. If it happens, stop driving and have them come and get the car. This is not a common problem, but with electronics, anything can go wrong. Another forum had examples like yours, and most had to be resolved at the regional level. A good dealer may eventually figure something out. If it is getting worse, and you have copies of where you have brought this to the dealer's attention, you may have to get a lawyer involved. Get them every opportunity to correct this, but don't let it put your or anyone's else lives at risk.

It will be many decades before any car maker will have total reliability in electronics. The field is moving too fast for them to keep up. Like everyone, they are two + years behind the day they roll out a product.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do you by chance have after market wheels and / or different tires than stock?

This seems to happen when the overall revs per mile differ on tires that aren't the same as stock.

I can generate it simply by turning while full lock ( like backing out of a spot).

More noticeable on staggered setups.

Dirty /shorting sensors will also cause this.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think the dealership has to fix it for you since you do not have doing any tuning or ecu changes
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
As nhcowboy memtions, do you have wheels installed that could be interfering with the wheel sensors? As for things you can check, look closely at all four wheel sensors for any dirt, dust buildup, or damage.

But by all means, don't drive it with this condition! Brakes locking up suddenly is no condition to be driving that car. I would find the next closest repair shop. At this point, it does not need to be a Ford dealership, as your warranty has expired (?). After having it towed, explain to this brake specialty shop what is going on as you have done here.

I might also contact the regional service rep for Ford in your area, and let them know about that dealership that stated they could not do anything for you because they could not come up with a "difinitive diagnosis". As stated, you place your life at danger, as well as others you are sharing the road with. Brakes that lock up on their own with no warning is dangerous.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

Region: Arizona
Everything on her is stock. I have the Pony Package which put 18's on her but I bought it off the lot with those rims. The dealership is vey aware of the issues and just keeps putting me back in the car. The problem has left the mechanic and service writer scratching their heads and said they have never seen anything like it. They say they called Ford Engineering but they did not have solutions without codes. Was hoping someone else had an idea I could take back to them.
lilmonte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Everything on her is stock. I have the Pony Package which put 18's on her but I bought it off the lot with those rims. The dealership is vey aware of the issues and just keeps putting me back in the car. The problem has left the mechanic and service writer scratching their heads and said they have never seen anything like it. They say they called Ford Engineering but they did not have solutions without codes. Was hoping someone else had an idea I could take back to them.
There's a Ford Customer Service Rep at AllFordMustangs.com at this link:

Our Ford customer service rep, Deysha. - Ford Mustang Forums

She may be able to escalate this between the Dealer and Ford Corporate. She has helped out alot of members over there. This link also has her phone number as well. Just thought this might need a little more of a push to get some help on this. Join that forum, click on the link and PM her. Good luck and let us know what you find out. I have a 2013 V6 Pony Package as well, so I'm quite interested in the outcome
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I have a 2012 V6 that has had intermittent traction control issues since 9000 miles, it now has 54,000. Traction Control light illuminations and engages ABS system while driving. It typically happens between 30 -40 mph while driving straight down the road. A few occasions while turning left onto freeway on ramps. I live in Phoenix so it never is wet here to have tire spin from wet surfaces. One time it also illuminated the "Service Advance Trac". The dealer said codes are non specific and can not figure it out. They are guessing speed sensor or Yaw (?) sensor but wont replace without a definitive diagnosis. Last week when it occurred it completely locked the brakes up and I could not go over 20 mph. Anyone else with this problem? I have wrecked the car into a curb once while it was doing it and now with brakes locking up while going down the road I am desperate to find a solution before my car kills me.
You say you have had this problem since putting 9,000 miles on your car. How many times exactly? How many times has it been back to the dealer and what was done?

Even though your over mileage, this appears to be a continuing problem. One of the exemptions you can use for Ford to fix it. When was the last time this occurred?

In the meantime, Park it. If you have an accident knowing your having a problem it will be your fault.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang