Tune + Warranty - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tune + Warranty

Considering tuning my 2013 but i'm worried about blowing pretty much any shred of a warranty I still have. Should I really be worried about it? Seems to me the true potential of our cars and any performance mod can only be recognized with a tune but i've had two bad experiences with two different dealers in my area.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Talk to your dealer about what you want to do with your car. Some are ok with it, most are not.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The dealers in my areas definitely will not be.
The dealer I purchased my car from messed up my registration leading to me getting a ticket (they fixed it but i still got court fees) and when I called them about it they constantly where "in meetings." The secretary called me back on her personal phone and said they constantly lie, they arn't in any meetings, yada yada.
The other dealer refused to do any warrenty work on my interior essentially accusing me of using a polish to scratch the glass and told me if I didnt like it I could probably argue with a manager.
I can only imagine asking them about a tune.
TLDR: If the dealer wont help me am I running any real risks tuning? I'm 20,000 miles strong and about a year and a half since purchase no problems so far.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSancho View Post
Considering tuning my 2013 but i'm worried about blowing pretty much any shred of a warranty I still have. Should I really be worried about it? Seems to me the true potential of our cars and any performance mod can only be recognized with a tune but i've had two bad experiences with two different dealers in my area.
The truth of the matter is one always run the risk of having their warranty voided should you tune. I have had my car tuned around 5,000 miles and never been happier. The tune really turns the car into a different vehicle from the factory tune. Its night and day difference but remember you do run the risk of causing warranty issues.

Based upon your concerns and should you choose too tune I would highly recommend either Steeda or Bama for starters.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
My local dealer told me as long as it is a Steeda tune, they will honor the warranty. So thats what I bought. We will see if there are any concerns when the snow melts and I drive the car.
Randy
randyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyg View Post
My local dealer told me as long as it is a Steeda tune, they will honor the warranty. So thats what I bought. We will see if there are any concerns when the snow melts and I drive the car.
Randy
Yea Steeda does tunes for Ford even. Good tunes and safe and htey pay attention to all details you want in special requests. And yes I have one of theirs in my files. I also have their CAI which does require a tune, one of if the only one. I also have MPT tune in my folders and started with Bama.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The dealer I purchased my car from messed up my registration leading to me getting a ticket (they fixed it but i still got court fees) and when I called them about it they constantly where "in meetings." The secretary called me back on her personal phone and said they constantly lie, they arn't in any meetings, yada yada.
The other dealer refused to do any warrenty work on my interior essentially accusing me of using a polish to scratch the glass and told me if I didnt like it I could probably argue with a manager.
TLDR: If the dealer wont help me am I running any real risks tuning? I'm 20,000 miles strong and about a year and a half since purchase no problems so far.
Dude, Wheres The Family? [WTF] You get a ticket and have to pay court costs? What did they say when you demanded that they pay that cost you incurred from their mistake they are legally liable for?

Both those dealers should be put on the red list of customer satisfaction surveys. You do file those with Ford don't you each time you visit the dealer? These are the types that give car salesmen bad names. By contrast, my Ford Dealer's service department's compensation is based on their customer satisfaction ratings. I have a Ford Dealer less than a mile from my home. Instead I chose to buy and service at one 7 miles away, service in the sale and service down the road was the reason why.

Unfortunately with that kind you must go to, I would wait some time for awhile. How many miles you got on it now? Have you let enough time for "infant mortality" to work itself out yet? IN electronic terms, that means let everything that could break early break first.

Even with a good dealer, you bring an engine in with a rod stickin' out the block or a burned piston, the ECM is going to Ford and if the tune caused it your up for the repair bill. (Expect to be able to pay for a repair to play. I put money away as a personal Insurance Policy)

Now if you keep rev limits in factory specs, speed limiters in factory specs so no over-rev, over-speed events get recorded in the black box memory (see your owner's manual about recording personal driving data), your warranty with a good dealer should be good for engine items the tune could not have caused, like oiling problems in factory design (cam tick issue), a part here or their, things not directly caused by beating on the motor.

But with hostile dealers...man can you see if others are available within an hours drive? Where are you at? Even in places like Chicago, some car dealers for decades cater to the performance crowd. (I dont live in Chicago, just an example)
Old 02-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can relate, my ford dealer is great, cs is second to none, but my Mazda dealer where I get my wife's Mazda 5 gt serviced is so bad and deceitful that I will not be buying another Mazda period, which is a shame because its a great car. I have made multiple calls to Mazda Canada and filed two complaints about them and got zero feed back! Im/we are done with them, her next car will be from my local ford dealer! Despite being a good car its not worth the hassles or headaches. We get the impression that Mazda really doesn't care about its customers which is completely the opposite of how ford has made us feel, from the dealer to ford of Canada.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in Miami worst part is one of the manager is a friends dad. Multiple calls including threats to BBB and I still havnt gotten any compensation. I even called Ford about these dealers and they basically took a statement. Guess i'll have to hit the west cost to find a decent dealer...
Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm in Miami worst part is one of the manager is a friends dad. Multiple calls including threats to BBB and I still havnt gotten any compensation. I even called Ford about these dealers and they basically took a statement. Guess i'll have to hit the west cost to find a decent dealer...
That treatment you describe is BS for such dealers. [They are treating you like someone they don't need to worry about]

Have you filled in a Ford Survey callin' that **** out? How are the dealers up north up on 95 ?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Come up here, I have an excellent ford dealer for you. Lol.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
That treatment you describe is BS for such dealers. Perhaps they only care about folks in the underground that buy the top items? Sorry but my investigator creds comes out on that **** they are given you in your demographic area. [They are treating you like someone they don't need to worry about]

Have you filled in a Ford Survey callin' that **** out? How are the dealers up north up on 95 ?
Go back to the dealer and request a meeting with the Local Ford Rep. If they refuse to do that, go get a picket sign and walk back and forth in front of their dealership. They will fold!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #13
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I live in ft Lauderdale. Take it to Sawgrass Ford. They are great!
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyg View Post
Randy
First, the dealer cannot do that legally. Nothing against Steeda and their tunes, but a dealer cannot come out (and I'll bet you do not have that in writing) and say they will warranty a Steeda tune and not another brand, unless they can prove that one tune was more aggressive than another. Then they could make their case against you.

Also be aware that any dealership can identify a tune was installed at any given time. It used to be with the earlier PCM's, that you could flash the stock tune back in, and drive to the dealership for warranty work. Not the case with the new PCM's. They store the fact that the stock parameters have been/were changed at one point.

If you're concerned that your dealer will not honor a warranty issue because of a tune, then locate another dealer in your area and take to them. As it has already been mentioned, some dealers are more lenient than others. If you do go with a tune, it would only effect warranty issues with the driveline to a dealer going by the book; any other warranty issue, such as a radio failure, or interior defect would still be covered.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
A failure from a tune, particularly our tunes is extremely rare. The tunes we send out are the same tunes used in our Steeda serialized vehicles sold through Ford dealers. Vehicles that are backed by a warranty, hence need to have a tune that is not going to cause us warranty issues.

Should an engine failure occur, we would work with the Ford dealer for proper diagnostics, this would include not only traditional diagnostics but things such as fuel octane testing and other techniques to fully determine the cause of failure. Should it be determined that indeed the tuning was the cause of the engine failure and not abuse, over revving, improper fuel octane, etc, then we would work with the customer on resolving the failure.

You are in good hands with Steeda ... dealerships know our reputation & sell our vehicles ... you have nothing to worry about.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
A failure from a tune, particularly our tunes is extremely rare. The tunes we send out are the same tunes used in our Steeda serialized vehicles sold through Ford dealers. Vehicles that are backed by a warranty, hence need to have a tune that is not going to cause us warranty issues.

Should an engine failure occur, we would work with the Ford dealer for proper diagnostics, this would include not only traditional diagnostics but things such as fuel octane testing and other techniques to fully determine the cause of failure. Should it be determined that indeed the tuning was the cause of the engine failure and not abuse, over revving, improper fuel octane, etc, then we would work with the customer on resolving the failure.

You are in good hands with Steeda ... dealerships know our reputation & sell our vehicles ... you have nothing to worry about.

Best Regards,

TJ
Bam. Game over.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well, That is good to hear

I guess I may go with a Steeda Tune. My dealer actually sells Steeda performance stuff through the dealers performance shop.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Best Regards,

TJ
Sounds like a good deal to me!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I guess I may go with a Steeda Tune. My dealer actually sells Steeda performance stuff through the dealers performance shop.
Ronnie
<Drops off of chair and obtains head injury>. Our good buddie Ronnie is coming over to the dark side and adding a tune to his Mustang?
Old 02-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

<Drops off of chair and obtains head injury>. Our good buddie Ronnie is coming over to the dark side and adding a tune to his Mustang?
Lmao.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wow, Bucko is gonna buy me a Tuner and Steeda Tune

Thanks Bucko
Ronnie

PS: are you coming to the waterford lakes Ford and Mustang show?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a 13 mustang that I put a bama tune on about 5000 miles ago. no problems and much better overall. It really is night and day difference. Although, it takes about 45 seconds before idle drops; I'm not sure if that's normal.
D2theJ2theC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey breo what part of Miami are you located. I am in Miami kendall
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Best Regards,

TJ

Wanna sweet talk my dealer?? I want a tune! Lmao
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Hey breo what part of Miami are you located. I am in Miami kendall
Technically i'm in Miramar haha but saying Miami is convenient. Metro Ford is the shady as hell one I went to and the one in Pembroke Pines is the one that basically told me i'd have to argue with a manager (it actually took him two weeks to tell me Ford declined my claim and at that point I didn't even care I had enough.) Thanks for the tune info! I think I need to save up and buy one of the bundles on American Muscle the hype is real!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Every time I see TJ post in a thread like this I just feel better and better ab my Steeda tune.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Technically i'm in Miramar haha but saying Miami is convenient. Metro Ford is the shady as hell one I went to and the one in Pembroke Pines is the one that basically told me i'd have to argue with a manager (it actually took him two weeks to tell me Ford declined my claim and at that point I didn't even care I had enough.) Thanks for the tune info! I think I need to save up and buy one of the bundles on American Muscle the hype is real!
Cool! Haha

Well i bought my car at metro ford jajajajaja they were the only dealer honoring the truecar.com price lol
Old 02-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Every time I see TJ post in a thread like this I just feel better and better ab my Steeda tune.
Are the gains the same or better than the equivalent Bama tune?

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The problem I see with tunes and potential headaches down the road is that several engine/drive train issues could be wrongfully, but still arguably, blamed on the tune and it then becomes the owners responsibility to prove the dealer wrong. I'm not justifying it just stating the kind of service many have either received or at least heard of over time. To those that have had their dealer give them the greenlight on going with a tune: I hope that employee doesn't develop amnesia or get terminated.

This doesn't mean I'm judging anyone or what they have said, I'm just a glass half empty guy when it comes to dealerships. I've received plenty of great service but unfortunately I don't go in expecting to get any more than acceptable.

Sent from my XT1053 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22 View Post
The problem I see with tunes and potential headaches down the road is that several engine/drive train issues could be wrongfully, but still arguably, blamed on the tune and it then becomes the owners responsibility to prove the dealer wrong. I'm not justifying it just stating the kind of service many have either received or at least heard of over time. To those that have had their dealer give them the greenlight on going with a tune: I hope that employee doesn't develop amnesia or get terminated.

This doesn't mean I'm judging anyone or what they have said, I'm just a glass half empty guy when it comes to dealerships. I've received plenty of great service but unfortunately I don't go in expecting to get any more than acceptable.

Sent from my XT1053 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
On the subject of amnesia id assume youd get it in writing not just an okay. And someone correct me if im wrong but isnt it illegal for a dealer to deny warrenty work unless they can prove that it was the aftermarket part that caused problems?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
On the subject of amnesia id assume youd get it in writing not just an okay. And someone correct me if im wrong but isnt it illegal for a dealer to deny warrenty work unless they can prove that it was the aftermarket part that caused problems?
Even if you got it in writing and your engine is blown, that employee will probably just get fired and you'll be screwed lol. Yes technically it is illegal, but the question is what are you gonna do when they deny it, sure you could take Ford to court, but the court costs may be overwhelming. Also the question is how much proof do they need to deny warranty work?

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Actually, if you read your manual, you will find the process for disputing a warranty denial. Ford uses the BBB's arbitration process and it costs you nothing. You can also read more about it on the BBB's website.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It don't really matter what a dealer tells you.

If your dealer say's "Go ahead and tune the car, We don't care"
Then you have a very serious engine problem.
The dealer has to call in a big shot from FORD to OK a repair.
The Big Wig say"s "THIS CAR HAS BEEN TUNED"
Then What? Do you really think the dealer will replace your engine for free if the Ford Motor Company say's no to warranty??????

But you are still protected unless they can prove the damage was caused by the tune.
How often do we ever see a serious problem with a Ford engine? It is a very, and I mean VERY rare occurrence.
If you over rev your engine it is your fault. Run low on Oil, Again your fault. Run wide open at the track and over heat and puke the engine, Again your fault. Warranty ain't gonna cover any of that anyway.
If it is a factory defect or re-call I'm betting you are covered Tune or no Tune.
If you want a tune, Go for it.
If your going to get one, Just put your stock tune back in when taking it in for service because they like to update the CPU and if they do it may cause you problems.
Ronnie
Old 02-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They have to prove you but still is a PAIN IN THE A$$ and in the meanwhile you are without a car!

My first car was an Altima 08 and it was heavily modded and the only reason dealer was always helping was because the manager was my buddy but guess what? one day he quit working there and exactly after 3 months I had to sell the car lol no more warranty for me and the best part is that whenever you mod a car you should be prepare because there will always be problems and no matter what you people told you at the end you will have to die at the dealer.

My second car was a Veloster Turbo 2013, Only had that car for 5 months and had to sell it!!!!!!!! I installed a custom FMIC and one day I went to the dealer because some issue I was having and guess what? the F dealer sent a letter to hyundai and boom my warranty was gone, yes gone I had no more warranty in a Brand new car just for an FMIC!!!!!!!! Thanks god I sold the car for almost the same I paid for it lol Carmax bought it

Now I have this beauty and I will only add an Axle back, White Stripes and thats it! nohing else lol

I don't want to have anymore problems
Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

There is always risk whenever you decide to tune, but like stated earlier, even without a tune and you hit the rev limiter, or abuse your ride and break something in the motor ford can deny you warranty work, read your manual it clearly states "abuse" can deny warranty work. So the next time anyone is at the track and is pushing the car to its limits remember, if something breaks you might as well been tuned because you'll be in the same boat.

2013 V6, Candy apple metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,painted side mirrors covers,upper and lower black billet grille,pony projection lights,boss 302 strut tower brace,barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,bama tuned,bbk shorty headers,Roush AB.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang