My 2013 Mustang isn't looking too good :( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My 2013 Mustang isn't looking too good :(

This 92 year old woman decided to cut me off while she was making a left hand turn and this happened. It makes me so sad to see my car this way. Do you guys think it's totaled?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1392366574.089186.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	739.4 KB
ID:	147817Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1392366591.659225.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	735.1 KB
ID:	147818Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1392366613.027003.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	750.7 KB
ID:	147819Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1392366627.758328.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	627.7 KB
ID:	147820
MichaelDieguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Na it'll Buff rite out..
kript2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I'm gonna say it isn't totaled.
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 03:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Doesn't look totaled, but I can't tell if the body has shifted. I have another thread where an 82 year old man hit my car while it was parked....4 times. Inb4 thread turns into how old people shouldn't be driving. Best of luck, man.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think it's a total. But I do see some oil leakage on the second picture. I hope you the best. It's sad to see something happened like that
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Did the airbags deploy? Those suckers are like 4-5k each if they go off. Body damage doesn't look it would total it but it could be close if there is suspension damage as well.
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The way it usually works is that an insurance adjuster will look the car over and estimate the cost to repair. You have the right to be there when this is done. Also, you have the right to insist on OEM parts, and not "just as good as OEM". Remember, the insurance companies are out to make money, and settle claims as cheaply as possible. You are not forced to accept anything but exact replacement parts. You also do not have to accept the first offer if you do not think it covers all repairs. My son works for a body shop, he also writes up esimates on accident vehicles. He can represent a person who feels an insurance agent is not being fair. In no way am I saying the insurance agents are all unfair; just know your rights.

If the estimate totals 80% or more of the cars worth, they usually total it. Lets say the car is worth 10 grand...if it takes 8K to repair it, they usually total it.

Since the fault was not yours (?), you also have a right to claim "Diminished value". Your car is going to be worth less now when you go to trade it in or sell it. It will show up on a Car Fax type report. This makes it's value less. Since the accident was not your fault, you have a right to claim diminished value, and the insurance company will cut you a check for this value. Insist on it.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The way it usually works is that an insurance adjuster will look the car over and estimate the cost to repair. You have the right to be there when this is done. Also, you have the right to insist on OEM parts, and not "just as good as OEM". Remember, the insurance companies are out to make money, and settle claims as cheaply as possible. You are not forced to accept anything but exact replacement parts. You also do not have to accept the first offer if you do not think it covers all repairs. My son works for a body shop, he also writes up esimates on accident vehicles. He can represent a person who feels an insurance agent is not being fair. In no way am I saying the insurance agents are all unfair; just know your rights.

If the estimate totals 80% or more of the cars worth, they usually total it. Lets say the car is worth 10 grand...if it takes 8K to repair it, they usually total it.

Since the fault was not yours (?), you also have a right to claim "Diminished value". Your car is going to be worth less now when you go to trade it in or sell it. It will show up on a Car Fax type report. This makes it's value less. Since the accident was not your fault, you have a right to claim diminished value, and the insurance company will cut you a check for this value. Insist on it.
I would thank you for this if I wasn't mobile.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Doesn't look totaled, but I can't tell if the body has shifted. I have another thread where an 82 year old man hit my car while it was parked....4 times. Inb4 thread turns into how old people shouldn't be driving. Best of luck, man.
Lately, I've noticed a ton of elderly drivers lately on my commute lately. I do respect senior citizens, but on the roads they sometimes irritate me.

Get this, I was on a two-lane highway in the right-most lane and here comes an old man and his restored 50's Thunderbird on the exit ramp from the interstate... AND HE MERGES RIGHT (not 'right' as in the direction) INTO MY LANE! Luckily an opening in the left lane had just become available, so I had to take it. My clean Carfax and his restored T-Bird would of been f*cked.

I glare at him for a solid 15 seconds and he slowly stares back. WTF man. /rant
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I ran into a trailer hitch and bent the driver part of my frame. It was nearly 6,000 in damage and we ended up swapping for the GT front and I got a better looking hood. I don't believe it's totaled. Especially being a new car. It's just the bumper, headlight, and fender. The hood will be bent back. As far as mechanical.... I couldn't tell you.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Someone else posted pictures of very similar damage a while back with your same concerns. They ended up posting followup pictures as their car was repaired. I would guess you are probably good.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Low speed impact, should be fixed. Sorry for you. That aluminum hood came out pretty good, I'm surprised. Be glad it was a fender and door. Rear quarter would be a different story. Glad you weren't hurt.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi 2 StangZ

You say:
Quote:
Get this, I was on a two-lane highway in the right-most lane and here comes an old man and his restored 50's Thunderbird on the exit ramp from the interstate... AND HE MERGES RIGHT (not 'right' as in the direction) INTO MY LANE! Luckily an opening in the left lane had just become available, so I had to take it. My clean Carfax and his restored T-Bird would of been f*cked.
I drive a lot of interstate highways and when I see I car coming from an on ramp I try to be a little friendly and let the car or truck merge in. It is a lot safer then trying to hold your ground and get pissed.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You say:

I drive a lot of interstate highways and when I see I car coming from an on ramp I try to be a little friendly and let the car or truck merge in. It is a lot safer then trying to hold your ground and get pissed.
Ronnie
I do as well. As I believe I stated in my post, a spot wasn't available for me to let him merge in at the time. I was lucky a spot opened up for me to get over and let him in.

On highways I'm very cautious, I give space (i.e. don't tail gate), check all blind spots before I change lanes, give people coming from a ramp the right-of-way, etc..
Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

In the state of Florida, you are supposed to give right of way to vehicles merging onto the highway. I have to admit, it ticks me off a bit when folks toodle down the highway in the right most lane, and do not provide a right of way for merging traffic coming onto the highway. I too provide a "stare back" to any driver that trys to hold their own and not allow traffic to merge in.

When approching an on ramp, move to the left; if you cannot, then slow, and allow traffic to merge in.

Compared to the average age on this site, I'm old. I don't drive a T-bird (never was a big fan of them, even though they saved the Corvette from getting the ax in 1955), but I do drive a Mustang.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

My insurance estimator called me this morning and told me that there was major damage to the suspension and said it was about $15,000 worth of damages to the car (the drivers side side and steering wheel airbags deployed), and they hadn't even finished the estimate. He called me an hour and a half later and told me that it definitely was totaled. He said since I had under 12,000 miles on the car and hadn't owned it for a year yet that I get back what I payed the dealer for the car. The car was payed off the day I bought it, so my question is... Is the car still mine after they pay me for the damages to my car? Do I get to scrap it for parts? This is my first accident, so I don't really know what happens after it's totaled. So, if anyone could please help me that would be appreciated!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
You will have the option to buy it back.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDieguez View Post
My insurance estimator called me this morning and told me that there was major damage to the suspension and said it was about $15,000 worth of damages to the car (the drivers side side and steering wheel airbags deployed), and they hadn't even finished the estimate. He called me an hour and a half later and told me that it definitely was totaled. He said since I had under 12,000 miles on the car and hadn't owned it for a year yet that I get back what I payed the dealer for the car. The car was payed off the day I bought it, so my question is... Is the car still mine after they pay me for the damages to my car? Do I get to scrap it for parts? This is my first accident, so I don't really know what happens after it's totaled. So, if anyone could please help me that would be appreciated!

If they pay you full price for the car, they own it. If you want to keep the car, they will come up with a lower reimbursement amount. Is this your insurance company or the other person's? Who was found at fault and cited?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

This is my insurance company and the police collision report states that she violated a CVC (failure to yield). I had the right of way and she caused the accident. I don't think the insurance company has decided who's at fault though.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just wondering why your insurance company is paying out and not her's if it was her fault? You really don't want a claim against your insurance if you can help it.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

They could be Subrogating, or it could be a no-fault state,or the OP and the crasher could both have the same insurance company.
Subrogation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP, is your state and/or insurance No-Fault?

One day dropping off a girl coming back home from Band Camp, I got backed up over by a semi-trailer in a 1989 2dr Gran-prix sports. the trailers back bar was almost up to my windshield by the time I bailed out. I could not put the car in reverse as the down pressure on the hood from the truck trailer kept me from shifting into reverse gear.

Trucking company would not even speak to me. [it was in an industrial park the police said they didn't have jurisdiction over] My insurances subrogated for me, fixed the car, sued the trucking company, and gave me a check for the extra damages they got out of them. State Farm is not a company designed solely to make profits for shareholders only, it is a mutual to spread risk out between low risk customers. Every customer is a shareholder and gets dividend checks back from time to time.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I have to admit, it ticks me off a bit when folks toodle down the highway in the right most lane ...
I do not do this. On the highway, I am a very defensive and considerate driver, mainly because I do not trust other drivers, especially at 60+ mph speeds.

---

To finish my "rant"; It's difficult to explain, it was heavily trafficked and I did what I could, safely. Mr. T-Bird wasn't looking at me when he merged. He looked at me after I started to glare at him and he seemed confused. I don't know if I really did screw up or he was just admiring my red car. Needless to say, I avoid that route as much as possible.

To bucko and Ronnie - I hear you guys. I'm a lot younger and have much to learn. Although this guy was quite old, maybe 80-85. I believe it may have just been a mistake on his part, but hey, you never know.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It's fine, Nobody got hurt, No crash

He probably thought you would slow down to let him in. Stuff like this does happen. At least no "ROAD RAGE" was involved and you all got where you were going. I'm not as old as old Bucko but I'm better looking.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I'm just wondering why your insurance company is paying out and not her's if it was her fault? You really don't want a claim against your insurance if you can help it.
He lives in California. It's not his insurance company that's paying out. His adjuster forwarded all the information to the other's party. All his insurance company is doing, is paying Michael and the other parties insurance will pay his insurance company. Since the police cited her as the guilty party, it wont be a contested claim.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
... All his insurance company is doing, is paying Michael and the other parties insurance will pay his insurance company..
Yep, than that is Subrogation, whereby one party takes over the rights or remedies of another against a third party.

{"the basic premise is that where one party (i.e. typically an insurer or a guarantor) makes a payment on an obligation which, in law, is the primary responsibility of another party, then the person making the payment is subrogated to the claims of the person to whom they made the payment with respect to any claims or remedies which are exercisable against the primarily responsible party"}
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Request for all original parts, any part that got damaged to be replaced not just re shaped the part to look good again... Since car is almost 1 yr old they could even replaced it with a new one, depends on insurance.
If it was me and almost a new car I will talk to a lawyer, they won't charge you and most likely they will simply replace your ride.
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
In 1980 i totaled a 6 month old Mustang. My insurance company told me to go pick out a new one with the same options, i did with only a color change. Got a new payment book with payments being the same.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2013 mustang