New to this - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #1

Region: California
New to this

Hey everyone,

I'm new to mustang evolution and new to the mustang world in general. I picked up at Roush RS in october and I just recently purchased an air raid intake and Bama tune.

I was planning on going with 3.73 gears, but I was curious to know if a BBK throttle body would be better and I'd like to know if it even fits with an air raid intake.

Thanks in advance
Vlcmbsbllplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlcmbsbllplyr View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to mustang evolution and new to the mustang world in general. I picked up at Roush RS in october and I just recently purchased an air raid intake and Bama tune.

I was planning on going with 3.73 gears, but I was curious to know if a BBK throttle body would be better and I'd like to know if it even fits with an air raid intake.

Thanks in advance
Welcome!

A Throttle Body won't do anything for you, as its the last item on the mods list after you have done everything else and even then might not produce more that a pin drop of added power. Next from a tune and CAI would be gears if looking for back in the seat performance. Exhaust will add better sound...See this truth about gears thread.

The truth about gears.. The best charts are near the end as he redid them.

I personally have 3.55 because I travel on fun trips in my Mustang on Freeways that have 72-82mph traffic on them for hours. If I never left town I probably would have got 3.77. Also 3.55 are more resellable in the future to regular folks, where 3.77 make the car a hot rod buyer only and that means less dollars on resale.

Post Script: Just remember if you plan to keep your car for some time, you already have or will find a special someone that will be riding in your shotgun seat. She will want you to take her special places in your special car (Regional Mustang Events are a great choice

So dont think you will never take trips in the 'Stang on long freeway rides to North Carolina or 'Vegas for huge Mustang Parties in 2014.
Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Art
I have a question and I hope that I can get your opinion with this. I have a v6 manual and 70% street 30% freeway in Los Angeles. Is 373 too much for me since when I drive on freeway I usually go abt 80-90
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
Hi Art
I have a question and I hope that I can get your opinion with this. I have a v6 manual and 70% street 30% freeway in Los Angeles. Is 373 too much for me since when I drive on freeway I usually go abt 80-90
Here is how to decide this for yourself, same way I did.

This chart estimate on 3.73 says you will be doing about 1944 at 65mph. http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-373-2011v6.html and click specs for the chart

WIth your current gears, put it in a lower gear that gives you close to this at 65mph. Then freeway drive at the speed you "think" you will at traveling on the freeway in this gear and Note the RPM. Now for safer legal testing, drop to a lower safe legal speed and downshift till you're running at the same RPM you noted in the previous step. Take a 20-30 min trip in that gear and hold that RPM and see if you can accept that MPG and RPM handling for extended periods of time.

Edit: first post had wrong number so I corrected to AM's chart.
Art
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you very much. And abt the high rpm wearing off gear over time. If it consistently staying on abt 3000-3500 during freeway drive. Will it be a bad choice. Sorry if it's some noob questions
Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytan06 View Post
Thank you very much. And abt the high rpm wearing off gear over time. If it consistently staying on abt 3000-3500 during freeway drive. Will it be a bad choice. Sorry if it's some noob questions
No Worries about questions, the only dumb question is one that is never asked.

Here is how you can determine if that is acceptable to you. Drive a 1 hour each way trip at that RPM (2 hours total) and see if your seat of the pant feeling tells you that RPM range is OK with you and your car. You might find running that high is not going to be good for the car's future life over the long run, or you might find you don't care about that; You gots lots of cash and just will buy another car.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
New to this

Picked up a throttle body as my last mod before I got rid of my 3.7. It made the engine/exhaust/cai note louder and added a noticeable throttle response.

I had a 93tune cai lth catted x and added the throttle body last. I would try and find a used one or maybe pay around $300 new and do it last if you have some extra cash. IMO a cai wasn't worth the money but it looks and sounds cool and worked well with the other mods. I view the bt as the same.

Tune was my favorite mod eh that or exhaust.

Good luck and modding gets addictive.

Not worth the money as in not worth what they sell for ***
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you. I probably can't stand it. I like my rpm below 2.5 k. Kinda a silly thing of me lol
Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlcmbsbllplyr View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance
Welcome to MustangEvolution and to the Mustang world! You'll meet a lot of great people and find a ton of awesome reads on this forum. Get out there and enjoy it! Let us know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

First things first, Congratulations on the awesome pick up! Post up some pictures of your Mustang we would love to check it out. As far as mods go, it sounds like you're already on a great track. CAI and a Bama tune is the two most beneficial mods you can do for any Mustang. How are you enjoying your Bama tune so far?

You're heads in the right spot with the 3.73 gears. Besides a CAI and Tuner combo a set of gears is the next best thing. You'll notice a huge increase in torque and acceleration. I think ordering my car with 3.73's is the best option I picked.

A throttle body is a good modification also. However, for a simple bolt on car or basically stock car it won't have many benefits. These are really a platform mod and don't start to shine until you get into full bolt-ons or a power adder. You won't notice big power gains but you'll definitely notice a huge increase in throttle response and engine noise.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Welcome aboard! Be sure to post some pictures of your Mustang when you get a chance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang