21,000 miles - New Waterpump - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #36

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If its under warranty there is zero way in hell you should even think about DIY, at least that is my take on it. Its free, let them do it, if the dealer is nice like the one my FIL works at they'll have free coffee and bigass TVs with Sportscenter and free wifi too. Just chillax while someone else takes care of your headache for you.

I'd also take a quick video of it leaking if you can and make sure the tech sees it. Get it leaking and then back away from the car so they can see the car and the plate to verify. Not 100% foolproof but for a job that easy under warranty I can't imagine you'll have an issue with a good dealer.

Just FYI, the techs at the dealers don't make much off of warranty work so just double check to make sure they did it right and that they legit actually changed the pump before you pay for it. Even good dealers can accidentally hire ****heads.
Yeah I like the video idea....the issue is WHERE it is leaking from.....I can get a small mirror in behind the pulley and see the leak when its hot.....not sure I can video that or not...

Well, I have til next week to try I guess...LOL

Funny thing here is that just the day before this started we had detailed the Stang, getting ready to put it up for the winter.....I was thinking about washing and detailing the engine bay. Turns out the dirt helped us track the leak....LOL
shadango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Mine was very difficult to pinpoint where the leak was coming from, but since my dealer sees me often for oil changes, I had absolutely no problem from them with this issue. The service rep looked up the parts and the TSB, then told me it was covered under the powertrain warranty. Sometimes it works in your favor to spend a little extra money for simple service work to create a good relationship with the dealer service department.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 11-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #38
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
thx DieHard, that's' what/who I was thinking about.

Shad, it's unlikely they'll give you ____ but some dealers ______. I suggest being friends with the dealer you bring it to for wtty work it can help.
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
thx DieHard, that's' what/who I was thinking about.
I knew that!
Just reinforcing your comments.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #40

Region: New York
Just had my water pump done took a week to get completed because it was on backorder also had them replace the hose which seems to be causing the issue, which they weren't going to do but had to convince them it was the failure point.
IntoxicatdSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoxicatdSmurf View Post
Just had my water pump done took a week to get completed because it was on backorder also had them replace the hose which seems to be causing the issue, which they weren't going to do but had to convince them it was the failure point.
My dealer replaced the pump and the hose. They are both part of the TSB.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #42

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
My dealer replaced the pump and the hose. They are both part of the TSB.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Originally they told me no on phone, the hose is not a problem so why would we fix it. Just glad they did but was going thru withdrawal while they did it lol.
IntoxicatdSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:21 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoxicatdSmurf View Post
Originally they told me no on phone, the hose is not a problem so why would we fix it. Just glad they did but was going thru withdrawal while they did it lol.
Almost like going to the DMV lol.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 11-25-2015, 09:30 AM   #44

Region: Pennsylvania
So I just got a call from the dealer, after they called yesterday to advise that the pump IS covered under warranty.

They claim the water pump is on national backorder until at LEAST some time next week but probably longer.

Also, the service manager is now saying the degas hose we have will not be replaced becaise it is already the proper hose. it is NOT, as it does not have the check valve shown in the TSB.

WTF.
shadango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #45
Staff

Regular
Staff

if they refuse to do hose it's simple and cheap diy. <$25 and no more than 10 minutes if you have to find channellocks
Old 12-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #46

Region: Illinois
Bad Water Pump

Just an FYI- Ford Motor Company was no help!!! I was told by my dealer here in Ofallon, IL that the "new redesigned part" was back-ordered two weeks. Two weeks went by, called them to check and it was back-ordered another 2-3 weeks. Complained that this was my wife's only means of transportation. Was told to call Ford Motor Company Customer Service. Called them and got nowhere! Was told that they would try and expedite the part order. What does that mean?! Are they going to the manufacturer, grabbing a part off the assembly line and overnight shipping it?!? What gets me, is that they knew this was a problem, and they only made "10" replacement parts?? I know my car is out of warranty (2011 Conv. / 80,XXX mi), but my dealer wont even help me with a rental. The wife has to drive 50 mi. one way to work, as I explained to them, and I don't want her on the side of the freeway in rush hour. Heck, they will make the rental price back as it is going to cost me $8XX for the repair according to their quote. I'm starting to think the Dodge Challenger is looking mighty good as the next vehicle if this the way Ford and their dealers care about their customers.
Rade8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rade8 View Post
Just an FYI- Ford Motor Company was no help!!! I was told by my dealer here in Ofallon, IL that the "new redesigned part" was back-ordered two weeks. Two weeks went by, called them to check and it was back-ordered another 2-3 weeks. Complained that this was my wife's only means of transportation. Was told to call Ford Motor Company Customer Service. Called them and got nowhere! Was told that they would try and expedite the part order. What does that mean?! Are they going to the manufacturer, grabbing a part off the assembly line and overnight shipping it?!? What gets me, is that they knew this was a problem, and they only made "10" replacement parts?? I know my car is out of warranty (2011 Conv. / 80,XXX mi), but my dealer wont even help me with a rental. The wife has to drive 50 mi. one way to work, as I explained to them, and I don't want her on the side of the freeway in rush hour. Heck, they will make the rental price back as it is going to cost me $8XX for the repair according to their quote. I'm starting to think the Dodge Challenger is looking mighty good as the next vehicle if this the way Ford and their dealers care about their customers.
That dealer is giving you a royal shafting!!

Water Pump Replacement for 2011 Ford Mustang in O'Fallon, IL
RepairPal Fair Price Estimate
$323 to $467

Labor: $190 - $242
Parts: $133 - $225
• Coolant
• 2 Hose Clamps
• Water Pump
• Water Pump Gasket
Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rade8 View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!! and I'm not saying that because I love Mustangs. We traded in my wife's Challenger because the transmission went at 19,000 miles, they had the car for 6 weeks to fix that, and in the process broke the headliner. To replace the headliner(they can't be fixed per Chrysler) they have to take out the windshield, that was another 4 weeks+. Alternator recall which could cause a car to shut down while driving, did I mention it has electric power steering? They didn't consider it a safety recall, 9 months for them to come up with a permanent fix, then 3 weeks to schedule the install. Dodge is a nightmare.

Traded it in on a 15 eb Mustang.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #49
Staff

Regular
Staff

yeah $800 ain't worth it....if you don't wrench go to a local shop and have them do it. It is a way to find a shop you like. If you don't know a shop look both on-line and ask at your local parts monger. Good luck

fwiw I had a 2012 V6 Chally rental (own a 2012 V6 Stang) the Chally was a great cruiser but slow & sloppy with blind spots the size of England.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #50
Registered Member

Regular

@Rade8, that Ford dealership is trying to sell you a steaming pile of doggy doo. A good independent shop should be able to have you taken care of for way less.

Re: the Chally, great looking cars, but Dodge reliability is *really* bad. Ford and Chevy reliability isn't by any means great (or even necessarily good), but they are decidedly less bad that Dodge.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My car is not even 2 years old with 37k miles and my water pump just started leaking. The pump is supposedly on backorder so looks like they will be renting me a car for a bit.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

to put a more solid answer to this ?. there has been a tsb out for several years about the early 11 to 14 v6 water pumps leaking and why,
look up TSB 14-0212.

captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My water pump crapped out on me this weekend on my 14 at 48,765 miles. My mustang only 3 1/2 years old, but I was so happy it didn't break down when I was far away from the house. I was able to get it fixed within the same day at my friends shop. My buddy at his car shop told me that he has worked in quite a few mustangs that have had water pump issues, but most of them had over 50,000 miles or more. So I guess it's a bit more common then I thought.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 AM   #54
Staff

Regular
Staff

Dude,

do you have the updated overflow hose with a check valve in it?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
No, is that something that you have Stange Mud ?
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #56
Staff

Regular
Staff

2012 leaking coolant. Help!

Mud sez check out this thread.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

And when Mud is Serious, we listen to him, all the rest of the time we ignore him though
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:35 AM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Do eet.

Slightly OT, but I also added some No-Rosion corrosion inhibitor to my coolant last week. That likely won't prevent a water pump failure, but it should help keep the cooling system in top shape. I siphoned some coolant out of the degas tank to make room. Note to self: used orange coolant does not taste good.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 07-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Do eet.

Slightly OT, but I also added some No-Rosion corrosion inhibitor to my coolant last week. That likely won't prevent a water pump failure, but it should help keep the cooling system in top shape. I siphoned some coolant out of the degas tank to make room. Note to self: used orange coolant does not taste good.
I forgot I added some 'Royal Purple' Ice (something like that) to my coolant when I first got my Mustang. I added another bottle to the radiator when I flushed it a couple years ago. It has lubricants and conditioners for the water pump and radiator. Maybe why my water pump is still good. I've also added the 'hose' a couple years ago
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'm at 88k on mine with the original coolant. Just replaced the hose around 80k. Water pump is hanging on for now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #61
Registered Member

Regular

My water pump just started leaking in earnest today (~75k miles). It's had the revised hose on the degas bottle for a couple of years, but I suspect some damage was already done. It's been hella hot lately, so that might have been what caused the pump to kick the bucket. Ordering the repair kit now...

How much of a bear is it to burp the system?

Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
My water pump just started leaking in earnest today (~75k miles). It's had the revised hose on the degas bottle for a couple of years, but I suspect some damage was already done. It's been hella hot lately, so that might have been what caused the pump to kick the bucket. Ordering the repair kit now...

How much of a bear is it to burp the system?
Most of the time it will burp on its own. I've 'never' had to, but one of my friends cars needed to be burped . I told him to drive up on a steep bank in his yard. With the front end of his car high in the air I removed the radiator cap and let it idle for a little while, it burped a big air pocket and all was well
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I'm at 88.5k. Original pump hanging on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I recently had a very small coolant leak under my car after a super hot day and driving kind of hard I've monitor it and haven't had it since it's been over a week car has been running at the right temperature and the level is still where it's supposed to be so hopefully mine just burped on its own somehow and that was the end of it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #65
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
I recently had a very small coolant leak under my car after a super hot day and driving kind of hard I've monitor it and haven't had it since it's been over a week car has been running at the right temperature and the level is still where it's supposed to be so hopefully mine just burped on its own somehow and that was the end of it

Could've just been a loose hose clamp or something minor. I've slowly been replacing the FoMoCo hose clamps with stainless worm gear clamps.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #66
Registered Member

Regular

OK, replaced my water pump today. I suggest anyone needing to do this order a bunch of the water pump bolts (they're also used for the water outlet housing). The pump kit doesn't include them, and one of my old ones snapped at about 15 ft-lb of torque. Had to find something at Home Depot to substitute. Thanks, Ford.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
TSB superseded by 16-0074

Sent from my SM-J700P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Automatic transmission mod when I can afford it LOL
Top Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
?

Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
?

Sorry, was reading this thread on my phone. Was replying to CaptChas - looked like that was the last post. (Lots of white space there.)
I looked for the TSB number he posted and it has been superseded.
Automatic transmission mod when I can afford it LOL
Top Down is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang