Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21,000 miles - New Waterpump

48K views 72 replies 34 participants last post by  Ray_3.7 
#1 ·
I just got the diagnosis. It was the water pump leaking last night. It is now being replaced at the dealer...ready this afternoon. Has any one else had a pump go out this soon? Obviously, I'm a bit disappointed.

#44 ·
So I just got a call from the dealer, after they called yesterday to advise that the pump IS covered under warranty.

They claim the water pump is on national backorder until at LEAST some time next week but probably longer.

Also, the service manager is now saying the degas hose we have will not be replaced becaise it is already the proper hose. it is NOT, as it does not have the check valve shown in the TSB.

WTF.

#46 ·
Bad Water Pump

Just an FYI- Ford Motor Company was no help!!! I was told by my dealer here in Ofallon, IL that the "new redesigned part" was back-ordered two weeks. Two weeks went by, called them to check and it was back-ordered another 2-3 weeks. Complained that this was my wife's only means of transportation. Was told to call Ford Motor Company Customer Service. Called them and got nowhere! Was told that they would try and expedite the part order. What does that mean?! Are they going to the manufacturer, grabbing a part off the assembly line and overnight shipping it?!? What gets me, is that they knew this was a problem, and they only made "10" replacement parts?? I know my car is out of warranty (2011 Conv. / 80,XXX mi), but my dealer wont even help me with a rental. The wife has to drive 50 mi. one way to work, as I explained to them, and I don't want her on the side of the freeway in rush hour. Heck, they will make the rental price back as it is going to cost me $8XX for the repair according to their quote. I'm starting to think the Dodge Challenger is looking mighty good as the next vehicle if this the way Ford and their dealers care about their customers.:banghead::censored:

#47 · (Edited)
Just an FYI- Ford Motor Company was no help!!! I was told by my dealer here in Ofallon, IL that the "new redesigned part" was back-ordered two weeks. Two weeks went by, called them to check and it was back-ordered another 2-3 weeks. Complained that this was my wife's only means of transportation. Was told to call Ford Motor Company Customer Service. Called them and got nowhere! Was told that they would try and expedite the part order. What does that mean?! Are they going to the manufacturer, grabbing a part off the assembly line and overnight shipping it?!? What gets me, is that they knew this was a problem, and they only made "10" replacement parts?? I know my car is out of warranty (2011 Conv. / 80,XXX mi), but my dealer wont even help me with a rental. The wife has to drive 50 mi. one way to work, as I explained to them, and I don't want her on the side of the freeway in rush hour. Heck, they will make the rental price back as it is going to cost me $8XX for the repair according to their quote. I'm starting to think the Dodge Challenger is looking mighty good as the next vehicle if this the way Ford and their dealers care about their customers.:banghead::censored:
That dealer is giving you a royal shafting!!

Water Pump Replacement for 2011 Ford Mustang in O'Fallon, IL
RepairPal Fair Price Estimate
$323 to $467

Labor: $190 - $242
Parts: $133 - $225
• Coolant
• 2 Hose Clamps
• Water Pump
• Water Pump Gasket
Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

#49 ·
yeah $800 ain't worth it....if you don't wrench go to a local shop and have them do it. It is a way to find a shop you like. If you don't know a shop look both on-line and ask at your local parts monger. Good luck

fwiw I had a 2012 V6 Chally rental (own a 2012 V6 Stang) the Chally was a great cruiser but slow & sloppy with blind spots the size of England.

#50 ·
@Rade8, that Ford dealership is trying to sell you a steaming pile of doggy doo. A good independent shop should be able to have you taken care of for way less.

Re: the Chally, great looking cars, but Dodge reliability is *really* bad. Ford and Chevy reliability isn't by any means great (or even necessarily good), but they are decidedly less bad that Dodge.

#51 ·
My car is not even 2 years old with 37k miles and my water pump just started leaking. The pump is supposedly on backorder so looks like they will be renting me a car for a bit.

#53 · (Edited)
My water pump crapped out on me this weekend on my 14 at 48,765 miles. My mustang only 3 1/2 years old, but I was so happy it didn't break down when I was far away from the house. I was able to get it fixed within the same day at my friends shop. My buddy at his car shop told me that he has worked in quite a few mustangs that have had water pump issues, but most of them had over 50,000 miles or more. So I guess it's a bit more common then I thought. :nonono:

#61 ·
My water pump just started leaking in earnest today (~75k miles). It's had the revised hose on the degas bottle for a couple of years, but I suspect some damage was already done. It's been hella hot lately, so that might have been what caused the pump to kick the bucket. Ordering the repair kit now...

How much of a bear is it to burp the system?

#62 ·
Most of the time it will burp on its own. I've 'never' had to, but one of my friends cars needed to be burped :). I told him to drive up on a steep bank in his yard. With the front end of his car high in the air I removed the radiator cap and let it idle for a little while, it burped a big air pocket and all was well :)

#64 ·
I recently had a very small coolant leak under my car after a super hot day and driving kind of hard I've monitor it and haven't had it since it's been over a week car has been running at the right temperature and the level is still where it's supposed to be so hopefully mine just burped on its own somehow and that was the end of it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#65 · (Edited)
Could've just been a loose hose clamp or something minor. I've slowly been replacing the FoMoCo hose clamps with stainless worm gear clamps.

#66 ·
OK, replaced my water pump today. I suggest anyone needing to do this order a bunch of the water pump bolts (they're also used for the water outlet housing). The pump kit doesn't include them, and one of my old ones snapped at about 15 ft-lb of torque. Had to find something at Home Depot to substitute. Thanks, Ford.

#69 ·
Sorry, was reading this thread on my phone. Was replying to CaptChas - looked like that was the last post. (Lots of white space there.)
I looked for the TSB number he posted and it has been superseded.

#71 ·
Mine was built 6/4/2014, purchased 9/1/2014. New water pump 1/29/2020 @ 25927 miles. I put the degas hose with check valve on 3 yrs ago.

#72 ·
Nice sunny day last Sunday so I went for first drive this year. I could feel the smile on my face until I noticed the temperature going up. Headed home and had to stop twice to let it cool off. 74K miles, replaced the hose just before putting the car away for winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.