Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21,000 miles - New Waterpump

48K views 72 replies 34 participants last post by  Ray_3.7 
#1 ·
I just got the diagnosis. It was the water pump leaking last night. It is now being replaced at the dealer...ready this afternoon. Has any one else had a pump go out this soon? Obviously, I'm a bit disappointed.

#2 ·
Glad it wasn't something serious. :thumb:

#3 ·
I have read several Threads about the water pumps going out on 2011+ Mustangs on this Forum and a few other Forums i'm a member of. Mine is still good at almost 4 years old and 20,000 miles :)

#5 ·
57K on my 2011 V6, and no issues with the waterpump or anything else for that matter. I live in the Central Florida area.

Maybe it's the climate that's affecting the waterpump to fail early?

#6 ·
I live in Texas and our winter has been relatively cold. My 2011 V6 started only blowing out cold air when using the heater. Turns out that the water pump had sprung a leak around the shaft seal and dumped out a lot of the water leaving the heater core empty. No engine damage and the pump was replaced at 42K miles. Dealer told me not that unusual on the 3.7L.

#7 ·
Suprising. This would be the first two cases reporting a water pump failure; one at 20K, the other at 42K. Kind of spread out in the mileage. With an empty heater core, did the overflow container show below the "fill" line?

I'm going to keep an eye out on my cooling system a bit better now.

#8 ·
Bucko - It is BY FAR not thefirst two cases. I did a search after mine failed. There have actually been numerous and early water pump failures on the 3.7. It is well documented in other sites on the internet...just something else for us all to look out for.

#11 · (Edited)
Yea, they said if it leaks, they can get coolant in the pan if everything does not just happen perfectly to get the Water escape the planned weep hole path out a keyhole in the engine cover. (Chrysler had that issue of ruining a v6 engine from a bad water pump.)

The fact that the Cyclone is back on the outside, tells me someone finally said, "you know, that's not really a great idea putting a water pump inside the block over the oil pump and pan. "

Be that as it may, if you drop "3.7 V6 Ford Water pump failure" into google, you find lots of bad 3.7 water pumps going on, leaving puddles by the side of the car as the symptom. This picture came up on a GM Saturn forum that had this picture in a 2009 post.

Edit: at first it loo9ked like two water pumps, internal external " as both pump gaskets offered in this parts catalog, but only one pump is offered for sale. So it seems there are internal and external gaskets for this pump? What happens then when the inside gasket leaks? need better diagram.

http://www.butmanfordparts.com/?i=2...section=8&catid=10011&subcatid=20151&fl_id=40

In looking at this pump both backside and front side I can see the need to use two gaskets on one pump, no inside leakage, whew...
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_01398_1501231_-1&pt=01398&ppt=C0141

But funny thing is none are in stock in my towns stores or online? I'll just chalk it up to the great water pump conspiracy ;)

#15 ·
Should not be difficult to change if it has to be done. Thanks for posting the information. This will be useful on the search (if it's done) for future reference.

Since my time on this site, I really have not read any other posts on the 3.7 water pump failure. I do check the "competition" sites from time to time, but also do not recall any posts on waterpump failure.

My eyes aren now open though.

#16 ·
I'm ready for when and if my waterpump goes bad. A few months ago i bought a tool made to make removing the assy belt very easy. Its a long handled bar with a couple different sized sockets (can be used on several other car makers, Honda, GM etc.). :)

#17 ·
My 2013 Ford Mustang Convertible water pump just went out after getting home from a 700mile trip. Only good thing, it happen in my drive way just after I got home. The Car has 26K miles on it. Also, being replace under warranty is the throttle body, While driving on the interstate the car lost all power, remained on so I could use the Power steering, and brakes.. Force to pull over and restart then engine.

#20 ·
I consider the Nissan V6 motors they put in their Altimas and Maximas to be horrid as far as timing complexity. Although that's the first water pump driven by a timing chain, having them driven by timing belts is not uncommon at all.

Ours is in a really good spot for replacement. However, I don't think a serpentine belt tool will help. If I'm not mistaken, our belts have no tensioner, they're a stretch fit. I've yet to mess with one, so I can't really comment.

#32 ·
Ours is in a really good spot for replacement. However, I don't think a serpentine belt tool will help. If I'm not mistaken, our belts have no tensioner, they're a stretch fit. I've yet to mess with one, so I can't really comment.
Just in case anyone else runs acorss this thread and is contemplating doing this on their own.....these engines in this car have TWO belts......a stretchy looking one for the AC and then another for everything else, including the water pump. There is a tensioner for this particular belt. Easy to access and remove belt. Removing the pump LOOKs to be a short job......but gonna run ours into the dealer since its under warranty.

#21 · (Edited)
Same issue JUST happened to me. '13 base Mustang V6 6spd with 21,000 miles and the water pump failed. My car was leaking coolant and I actually didn't notice the gauge was all the way to the right for 20 miles haha. Fixed quickly under warranty, but I wouldn't want this happening to me on a long drive in the future... might as well have bought a VW

#23 ·
22k 14 GT and water pump just gave out. Noticed coolant was a bit low. Put a mirror at the back of the water pump and there is an active leak. Super!

#25 ·
I know its an old thread but figured I would just post here rather than do a new thread....

The water pump on our 2011 with 50k miles is leaking......

A drip every few seconds or so...not a huge leak and doesnt get worse when hot really.....but makes a mess under the car.....

We put it up on ramps and got under the car to figure out where the drip was coming from and then removed the pump pulley....its leaking from the area circled in the attached picture....

Looks like an easy enough fix, assuming I can find a pump.

Also, on another forum, someone said that the CAUSE is that the small hose going from the recovery tank to the thermostat housing is lacking a check valve...lets air into the pump and causes it to leak....a known issue apparently by ford but no recall.

Not sure that just replacing the hose will work once the leak starts.

Attachments

#26 ·
once it starts leaking I doubt the hose will help. If your dealer is nice (try cookies if needed) they MAY help you under the 5yr/60K wtty.

key words: nice, if, may

If you are going to keep it replace pump and hose, if you are gonna sell/trade consider Barrs Stp Leak.

#29 ·
Really? I cant see how that would be something they could do....unless it was an inexperienced mechanic who didnt know they shipped from the factory that way (with the wrong hose) and assumed it was something done by the owner?

I will see what happens...I am not the sort to take that sort of hogwash lightly.....I will post back once we have it done......cant get into the dealer til next week. :banghead:

#30 ·
Call your dealer and make sure you are still covered and then take it in. If they try to screw you over then tell them you want to speak to a manager and if not then get ahold of a regional representative. There are legit Ford reps on some of the real big forums and you can PM them with your situation, the dealer name etc... etc... I think there is one on SVTP...

But hopefully the dealer is not an idiot.

#31 · (Edited)
I have been going to a Dodge dealership that the same company owns and they have treated me right so hopefully it will be the same at their Ford shop.

That said I did talk to their parts guy and he did confirm there are two part numbers for the water pump for this engine for this car.....the difference is that one is a kit that includes the new degas tank hose with the check valve....the other is for cars with the correct hose in place already, it would seem. So hopefully that issue is moot. The warranty says that the pump is covered, so it shoudl be covered.

My concern is that it wont leak when we take it in...LOL. It isnt a huge leak....but it leaks....and you have to look for it because of where its leaking from.

#34 ·
If its under warranty there is zero way in hell you should even think about DIY, at least that is my take on it. Its free, let them do it, if the dealer is nice like the one my FIL works at they'll have free coffee and bigass TVs with Sportscenter and free wifi too. Just chillax while someone else takes care of your headache for you.

I'd also take a quick video of it leaking if you can and make sure the tech sees it. Get it leaking and then back away from the car so they can see the car and the plate to verify. Not 100% foolproof but for a job that easy under warranty I can't imagine you'll have an issue with a good dealer.

Just FYI, the techs at the dealers don't make much off of warranty work so just double check to make sure they did it right and that they legit actually changed the pump before you pay for it. Even good dealers can accidentally hire ****heads.

#36 ·
Yeah I like the video idea....the issue is WHERE it is leaking from.....I can get a small mirror in behind the pulley and see the leak when its hot.....not sure I can video that or not...

Well, I have til next week to try I guess...LOL

Funny thing here is that just the day before this started we had detailed the Stang, getting ready to put it up for the winter.....I was thinking about washing and detailing the engine bay. Turns out the dirt helped us track the leak....LOL

#35 ·
It was Sakib (on this forum) that had the problem getting his water pump covered by the dealer. Here's a quote from him...
"It should be covered under drivetrain warranty, unless your dealer pulls the same B.S. my local dealer did when I had a cooling system issue. They blamed the failure on the $11 overflow hose that goes from the degas bottle to the thermostat, and since they claimed that was the "causal part", they wouldn't cover the water pump failure under the drivetrain warranty, because the overflow hose is not a part of the drivetrain by their definition. Quoted me $571 for parts and labor for the water pump, thermostat gasket, and hose. The "stealership". Don't let them pull that crap on you. And no, they did not get my money."

And then as it turned out it wasn't even the water pump.:facepalm:

#37 ·
Mine was very difficult to pinpoint where the leak was coming from, but since my dealer sees me often for oil changes, I had absolutely no problem from them with this issue. The service rep looked up the parts and the TSB, then told me it was covered under the powertrain warranty. Sometimes it works in your favor to spend a little extra money for simple service work to create a good relationship with the dealer service department.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6

#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.