X-Pipe Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
X-Pipe Questions

So I have been trying to do some research on the BBK Catted X-pipe, but unfortunately I can't find much info on it. Has anyone had any experience with this setup? I'm looking to add more of a growl to go with my FRRP, but am hesitant to drop that much money on something without getting others advice first. I also realize that taking off the stock cats are a big no-no, but are the cats that come with the BBK pipe still legal? BBK's website is alittle fuzzy, claiming that "THE CONVERTERS ON THESE PIPES ARE 49 STATE LEGAL - BUT NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA AS OF JAN 1st 2010".

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/2011-14-mustang-v6-short-mid-x-pipe-with-converters.html?car_motor_key[]=1700&car_motor_key[]=1717
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have the xpipe. Are you just asking about sound and emissions?
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just installed the ford racing xpipe (which reuse the stock cats) on my v6 which currently has the roush exhaust hoping for a deeper rumble. I'm pretty disappointed in the bang for your buck factor although I did see nominal gains in horsepower (REALLY NOMINAL) the sound change was noticeable only to me. It removed some ugly rasp and brought the tone down a bit. I vote go off road if you dont have state emission testing/dont care or don't bother with the ford racing xpipe. That being said its not a bad mod its just money that couldve been used on something else maybe a tune will help me recognize this mod better...
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
I have the xpipe. Are you just asking about sound and emissions?

Both. I would love a little more sound, but it's has to be legal. What's your setup and how do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintSancho View Post
I just installed the ford racing xpipe (which reuse the stock cats) on my v6 which currently has the roush exhaust hoping for a deeper rumble. I'm pretty disappointed in the bang for your buck factor although I did see nominal gains in horsepower (REALLY NOMINAL) the sound change was noticeable only to me. It removed some ugly rasp and brought the tone down a bit. I vote go off road if you dont have state emission testing/dont care or don't bother with the ford racing xpipe. That being said its not a bad mod its just money that couldve been used on something else maybe a tune will help me recognize this mod better...
Interesting. I saw the Ford racing xpipe, but was put off by the idea of having to cut and weld just to install. I would go off road, but I live in MO where emissions are regulated. Thanks for the input.

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
Old 02-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I have BBK Shorty headers,the catted xpipe and magnaflow comps. I love the sound! I could weld in some resonators to get some rasp out but i like it. Sounds like a race car. Lol.

I live in TX and they don't do emission testing unless your in the big citys like Dallas. Pretty sure if I went off road x pipe it'll be to loud.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post

I have BBK Shorty headers,the catted xpipe and magnaflow comps. I love the sound! I could weld in some resonators to get some rasp out but i like it. Sounds like a race car. Lol.

I live in TX and they don't do emission testing unless your in the big citys like Dallas. Pretty sure if I went off road x pipe it'll be to loud.

How big of an impact did the x pipe make on sound? Do you have an sound clips or videos? I want something that will really growl, but won't wake up the neighborhood when driven under normal conditions. Also how easy was the instal? BTW, thanks so much for the info!

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You should get an H-pipe because it will help give a deep rumble without some of the harshness that can come with x-pipes. I'll see if I can get a clip of my set-up posted. BBK shorty headers, stock cats/resonators with a custom H-pipe, Borla S-type cat-back.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a photo of the H I had installed today. Sounds amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1392780523308.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	148184  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Here's a photo of the H I had installed today. Sounds amazing.
Looks nice. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Do you have any drone?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
Looks nice. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Do you have any drone?

$175 to take off the Mags street cat back, FRPP x-pipe and install Borla S-type cat-back and custom H. No Drone at all.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
$175 to take off the Mags street cat back, FRPP x-pipe and install Borla S-type cat-back and custom H. No Drone at all.
That's all?! My local shop wanted $300 just to install my FRRP axle-backs! I'll do some searching tomorrow and see if I can find a reasonable exhaust shop in my area. I will admit, I am worried about having custom work done to the car. I feel going with a trusted brand would lessen the chance of problems down the road. Thus I've been eyeing MRT's H-pipe designed specifically for our v6's. Might be a good alternative if I can't find a decent custom shop.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's all?! My local shop wanted $300 just to install my FRRP axle-backs! I'll do some searching tomorrow and see if I can find a reasonable exhaust shop in my area. I will admit, I am worried about having custom work done to the car. I feel going with a trusted brand would lessen the chance of problems down the road. Thus I've been eyeing MRT's H-pipe designed specifically for our v6's. Might be a good alternative if I can't find a decent custom shop.
300 just to install bolt on mufflers? That's ridiculous! I had my bassanis put on for just under 100. I can't believe some of these shops man.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
He's ripping you off that with that $300 buck charge!! Honestly taking off stock exhaust and putting back your axlebacks doesn't take more than half an hour. I was charged $50 (plus tax) to remove magnaflow competition cat back and put back factory system.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have both H and X pipe? What year is your car? Did yours come with factory H pipe?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 02-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

X-Pipe Questions

Quote:

Yeah that's way to much! I've been using the same shop for a couple years now for a reason. They did give me $25 off military discount but even at $200 I was willing to pay for the amount of work. I was there for almost 2 1/2 hours. I told them I was thinking the same as you with the MRT H-pipe and I told him how much it cost and he told me that's way to much and that he could do it for much less. At first I was a little skeptical but I had a gut feeling that he knew what he was doing and it turned out GREAT! Find a shop were the guy doing the work makes you feel comfortable about him cutting and welding on your exhaust and tell them exactly what you want to do and it'll come out in your favor. Make sure they don't mangle the stock stuff and everything is pretty much reversible if you don't like it.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
You have both H and X pipe? What year is your car? Did yours come with factory H pipe?

|| BlackOnBlack ||

No I only have a custom made H that is shown it the pic above. I don't think you can have both or if that would even be efficient. Mines is a 2014 v6 and it came with a hybrid X/H pipe as all 11-14 V6s do.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Some quick questions before I do some calling around. Do I need to change out my headers in order to be able to run a H pipe? Also can anyone describe how loud the H pipe is? It's been pretty hard to find a video of one in a current v6. Thanks for all the help, I truly appreciate it!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Some quick questions before I do some calling around. Do I need to change out my headers in order to be able to run a H pipe? Also can anyone describe how loud the H pipe is? It's been pretty hard to find a video of one in a current v6. Thanks for all the help, I truly appreciate it!
No you don't need to change the headers to install a custom H-pipe that the exhaust shop fabricates for you. All your changing is the x-pipe portion of the mid-pipe unless you want to change the whole thing. There are no aftermarket options to do this. The only way is to fabricate one. Some have tried using the GT H-pipe with less than desirable results. Here is a quick bad video of a cold start.

http://youtu.be/sD1LmRfTnNc
Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Don't go with BBK. Borla is sooo much more worth the money...
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

These exhaust shops are crazy I went to 3 that told me they wanted 150-250++ for my xpipe to weld it on my friend actually told one of them off because over the phone he quoted 80 for an xpipe then freaked out because he didnt know that was 4 welds. Thats like 50 dollars a weld!! I ended up paying 90 to have someone do it
Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I've got a good guy here in Germany who is Ford certified for custom work and warranty work. He only charges 50€ an hour for the work, no matter what he's doing. And that's cheap for Germany... Most are 80€ at the least.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Random question: how is the custom H different from hybrid x/h that came on 2014 V6? Does it show any performance gains, and if it makes it rumble the any louder/deeper?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 02-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Random question: how is the custom H different from hybrid x/h that came on 2014 V6? Does it show any performance gains, and if it makes it rumble the any louder/deeper?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
It creates the rumble! V8 like, not the same just kind of like it. Let me be clear our v6 will never sound like a v8. An X-pipe is more for performance but usually gives more Rasp than an H-pipe which usually makes things more deep sounding. The reason my H pipe looks the way it does ( pic on 1st page) is because it equalizes the pressure better than a straight across H-pipe or at least thats what my exhaust guy told me and I can hear that. There is no popping or harshness in my exhaust. You must realize tho that some of the deep sound in my exhaust comes from the shorty headers. Borla axle-backs give a great sound and there is no drone. I could probably delete the resonators and there still wouldn't be drone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No you don't need to change the headers to install a custom H-pipe that the exhaust shop fabricates for you. All your changing is the x-pipe portion of the mid-pipe unless you want to change the whole thing. There are no aftermarket options to do this. The only way is to fabricate one. Some have tried using the GT H-pipe with less than desirable results. Here is a quick bad video of a cold start.

http://youtu.be/sD1LmRfTnNc

Thanks for the video, it sounds sick! That deep rumble/engine flutter is exactly what I'm looking for. Does yours have cats? I called one shop and they ball parked it at about $400. Not horrible, but still feel I can find a better deal. Got a few more shops I haven't tried yet.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I still have the the stock cats and resonators.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #26
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I have been trying to do some research on the BBK Catted X-pipe, but unfortunately I can't find much info on it. Has anyone had any experience with this setup? I'm looking to add more of a growl to go with my FRRP, but am hesitant to drop that much money on something without getting others advice first. I also realize that taking off the stock cats are a big no-no, but are the cats that come with the BBK pipe still legal? BBK's website is alittle fuzzy, claiming that "THE CONVERTERS ON THESE PIPES ARE 49 STATE LEGAL - BUT NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA AS OF JAN 1st 2010".

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...key[]=1717

I just added a set of Pypes 3" high flow cats to go with my frpp xpipe. Made it much louder.
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
This guy got it right:

BBK shorty headers, stock cat with FRPP x pipe in place of the stock H/X pipe and magnaflow comp axle backs. Sounds real nice and its emissions legal.

This is the route I am going to go, except I am going to use the magnaflow street axle back instead.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #28
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Airaid CAI, 73mm BBK TB, BBK ceramic shorty headers, 3" Pypes high flow cats, FRPP xpipe, GT500s

Old 02-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

What's with the shorties?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #30
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
What's with the shorties?

They make you go vroom
Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
They seem to make a much better sound. Since both LT & Shorties make no real performance gain in a NA 3.7, you might as well go for sound.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #32
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
They seem to make a much better sound. Since both LT & Shorties make no real performance gain in a NA 3.7, you might as well go for sound.

Made a difference in my setup. Noticeable gains!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
??????. Long tubes don't give any performance gains on 3.7's?????? WHAT BRO! I didn't get 297 rwhp in my automatic 3.7 from just having a tune and CAI. Long tubes give very respectable power gains.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_10016037231374.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	148343
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #35
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Exclamation non-Believers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Thats funny.
does someone always have to chime in to bash a mod that they do not have or have not installed?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang