Prothane Motor Mounts installed in 12 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Prothane Motor Mounts installed in 12 V6

Just installed Prothane Motor Mounts (black polyurethane bushings) in my 2012 V6 along with Steeda Upper Adjustable Control Arm today and holy crap the whole car feels like the old school muscle cars that would rumble and vibrate at idle. I feel like i just bought a massage chair lol. Blow by Racing and Steeda also make motor mounts for our V6 and they use the red polyurethane bushings which arent as stiff as the black ones used in the prothane mounts. The blow by racing mounts are exactly the same as the prothane mounts so they will for sure work on the v6. The steeda motor mounts are slightly different style, but should also work. Improved acceleration and response from the stiffer mounts allowing all the power to go to the wheels now instead of losing some of it through the soft stock mounts. Takes about 3-4 hours to install the motor mounts and they are lighter and smaller then the stock ones and should last 3-4 times longer.
Also installed my MPT 91 tune over my old 91 Bama hybrid tune. The MPT pulls harder with quicker shifts and chirps the tires. I still have their 93 and 97 tune to try out but wont use those for awhile. Also tried out the SCT Livewire for 1/4 mile times and after you get your time it gives you an estimate hp and torque. I changed my vehicle weight to a semi accurate number maybe off by 5lbs or so from actual vehicle weight. I got 296hp and 288tq i will be doing dyno pulls end of next month beginning of April. I wouldnt be surprised if that number quoted from SCT was 90%+ accurate.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ya I had them in my last 06 GT and you can really feel the motor at start up. I did the change because I needed clearance for headers and the stock ones were prone to melting from the heat of the headers vs the stock manifolds. Sounds like you are running out of mods.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

only the expensive stuff left to do like ported heads, all forged internals with 12:1 ,12.5:1 or 13:1 compression havent decided on compression yet lol. That wont be for at least 1-2 years though. Along with the custom grind camshafts for the v6 if no company has come out with them by the time i get everything. I already got lightweight forged rims being made which are about 7lbs lighter each rim compared to my current 18" AMR wheels and intake manifold porting. i could just save time and headaches by going supercharger route but i always loved the way all motor sounds with high compression and cams.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I really like mounts in mine and I was amazed how they improved the shifting feel. I will say the downside is the increased NVH when the dual mass flywheel starts doing it's thing upon decel.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You are right there is way better shifting after the motor mounts were installed and quicker throttle response since no more motor movement. When i start up my car, at idle and at low rpms up until maybe 1600-1700rpm then the vibration is mostly gone with the mounts. The first 2 days there is way more vibration then they break in some and dont rattle or vibrate as bad at least with my prothane mounts. My mirrors vibrate 50-60% less now then the first 2 days. If anyone is deciding to get these or not sure about the extra vibrations just get the motor mounts with the red inserts from either Steeda or Blow By Racing and it wont be as harsh as the black mounts like the Prothane ones, but i like mine. And the mounts are actually harder to do in a V6 then GT. It took 3.5-4 hours to do in my v6 and the GT i think its only 2 hours. Most GT owners install the mounts at the same time they are doing the headers.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Did you ever dyno your v6? I wanna know if Livewire is close to the same?
draxxus131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Strange mod. I just got rid of the dmf in favor of a spec aluminum flywheel. It made the most significant change yet to my car. I have a good bit of mods too.. Lt, gears, driveshaft, clutch, clutch line, shifter, trans mount filler thing from whiteline etc... The dmf made a huge difference.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Call me a noob but what are the mounts and what do they do? Do they stuff mount the engine to the car?
colemaneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
4D, I hope you don't like the new flywheel.....If you want to sell it I would like to buy it at a used price......:0 That is something I would like just not enough to do unless I ever need a clutch.

Cole, the MM's are what attach the engine to the car. Somewhat cheap to buy but they require time to install. As I said earlier it is the mod that helped what I describe a fussy transmission the most. I've read others claim performance gains but I don't believe but admit to not knowing.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have a link to this?? I can't find the page for the mounts.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What's the point of these???
Mattjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Prothane Motor Mounts installed in 12 V6

mud. The clutch flywheel is awesome. If u have any clutch issues just do it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang