Cold Air Intake Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Cold Air Intake Noise

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting an Airaid Cold Air Intake for my 2012 v6 with a deal on AdvancedAuto (40% off coupon, it's the same part as on American Muscle). I plan on getting a tune later just don't have the money right now, and I can't miss the deal. However, I don't want an obnoxiously loud sound. Is the suction of air you hear annoying at all? And is it loud enough so you can't hear it over music on the Shaker 500?

I'm all for a muscular sound, just want a somewhat practical car that's not gonna bug the heck out of me that it's too loud.
binly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
God no lol the noise shouldn't be loud at all you will only really hear it at wot or close to it.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
God no lol the noise shouldn't be loud at all you will only really hear it at wot or close to it.
Okay lol I guess I'm just being overly worried about it. I had seen some videos and they made it seem awful loud but that could of been combined with an exhaust or something else.
binly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by binly View Post
Okay lol I guess I'm just being overly worried about it. I had seen some videos and they made it seem awful loud but that could of been combined with an exhaust or something else.

Yea some people say it makes it sound different with exhaust but never really noticed it myself.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
It is not an annoying sound. It's the sweet sound of suction like a slight whistle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The videos you see of CAI sounds are taken from a camera placed in the engine bay or held right up to the intake. Of course the whistle/suction sound you hear is going to be loud then, but you must take into account the fact that you nor anyone else will be riding under your hood. When the hood is latched and a recording is taken from a distance, the engine noise and exhaust note drown out much of the suction sound. This way, it's a pretty mellow, unobtrusive sound.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by binly View Post
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting an Airaid Cold Air Intake for my 2012 v6 with a deal on AdvancedAuto (40% off coupon, it's the same part as on American Muscle). I plan on getting a tune later just don't have the money right now, and I can't miss the deal. However, I don't want an obnoxiously loud sound. Is the suction of air you hear annoying at all? And is it loud enough so you can't hear it over music on the Shaker 500?

I'm all for a muscular sound, just want a somewhat practical car that's not gonna bug the heck out of me that it's too loud.
Awesome! You're going to love the Airaid CAI. Most intakes for the 2011+ Mustangs are tune required so make sure that the intake you're looking at doesn't require a tune.

As far as sound goes, you won't hate it! A CAI adds a slight whistle to the engine but it's not very loud. When you go WOT the intake really sucks in a lot of air and it sounds really cool.

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 you can hear it but not that much. Most people like how it sounds, I tell folks a CAI makes noise for the driver an exhaust for bystanders.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I was meeting my girlfriend at a dealership, and she was waiting for me. I left later or for gas, some reason she was there first. She commented on how loud the CAI was outside. I started to notice it more with the window down. I doubt it gives a turbo sound, but it does make decent exterior sound.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
When your just driving around and not flooring it--

You don't even know it is there.""BUT"" when you floor the go pedal it will growl and sound like pure power. "GREAT"
I bought mine just for the Eye Candy when I opened my hood but fell in love with the better throttle response and the way it sounds under full power.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You don't even know it is there.""BUT"" when you floor the go pedal it will growl and sound like pure power. "GREAT"

I bought mine just for the Eye Candy when I opened my hood but fell in love with the better throttle response and the way it sounds under full power.

Ronnie

Hey ronnie, i was just wondering do you feel any difference with the strut tower brace? I just ordered the same one as yours. Thanks bud
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
To answer the strut tower brace question, I HIGHLY doubt you feel a difference unless you have other suspension work then you might notice a little bit. To me it's more of a mod that is for looks, especially for how most people drive these cars.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
To answer the strut tower brace question, I HIGHLY doubt you feel a difference unless you have other suspension work then you might notice a little bit. To me it's more of a mod that is for looks, especially for how most people drive these cars.

Thank you sir... I like the looks.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It was on my Mustang since new

I can't tell any information on the strut bar because it was on my car since day one. I like the looks of it and I'm sure it must stiffen up the front end I had to add one to my Mini JCW because it was not really feeling stable above 100 miles per hour. I added the strut bar to that car and it was stone solid at 150 MPH. It is probably the same for the Mustang. Not needed at low speeds but probably worth putting it on for the interstate.
Ronnie
Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I can't tell any information on the strut bar because it was on my car since day one. I like the looks of it and I'm sure it must stiffen up the front end I had to add one to my Mini JCW because it was not really feeling stable above 100 miles per hour. I added the strut bar to that car and it was stone solid at 150 MPH. It is probably the same for the Mustang. Not needed at low speeds but probably worth putting it on for the interstate.

Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie I trust your input here and bucko... Appreciate it.. I can't wait to put them on specially I got a bangin deal on cj today...
Old 03-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That and do you guys notice it makes a cool little discharging sound when you turn the car off lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No sound from the Airaid shutting car off.

I have not heard a peep out of my Airaid at all except when I'm accelerating with the pedal mashed all the way to the floor.Then, Like I said before. IT GROWLS and the sound it makes then is music to my ears. Not just the Airaid but I think all of the CAI's will sound great with the pedal mashed to the floor.
The stock 3.7 air box has a silencer built into it to keep the growl down. Ford wants it quiet for Uncle Sam and a lot of buyers not really into cars and performance. My advice is: Just get one of your choice. Keep the stock air cleaner. If you don't like the CAI you can always re-install the stock Ford stuff and sell the CAI. You will lose a little money but that is what modding your car is partly about. It's called "TRIAL & ERROR" and has been part of the car culture since the first car was bought.
I wish I had the $$$$ I spent in the past 55 years on "TRIAL & ERROR" I would be a very wealthy man. That don't mean I wouldn't do it all over again. Well, I still do it.
Ronnie
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Maybe the OP is thinking of a charger whine, but then it's still not THAT loud, haha.

Pick up that CAI, seems to be a good deal.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The noise alone is worth the price of admission.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

God I love the sound when you get in it and hear it roar from under the hood. Combine that with AIRRAIDS throttle body spacer system and it sounds like a turbo spooling with the roar. Why would you not want to hear it! Plus you don't hear it much under normal driving just when you get on the pedal harder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393770501.899100.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	913.8 KB
ID:	149423
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393770538.979417.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	680.0 KB
ID:	149424
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Okay does the throttle body spacer help at all . I understand the idea behind it but do we have numbers to backup the claims ? . What's your personal experience with it ?

geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons View Post
Okay does the throttle body spacer help at all . I understand the idea behind it but do we have numbers to backup the claims ? . What's your personal experience with it ?

Most people say no. A guy on here who drove pretty steady noticed about .5 mpg boost. I have not tested, but the majority will only advise if forced induction and one of the final modifications.

If you can get it cheap, >30, I'd say go for it, but $100+ is a bit much for an experiment, in my opinion. Also, allegedly many CAI systems don't naturally fit right with it installed.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons View Post

Most people say no. A guy on here who drove pretty steady noticed about .5 mpg boost. I have not tested, but the majority will only advise if forced induction and one of the final modifications.

If you can get it cheap, >30, I'd say go for it, but $100+ is a bit much for an experiment, in my opinion. Also, allegedly many CAI systems don't naturally fit right with it installed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake