Anyone running shorty headers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Anyone running shorty headers?

I am wondering if anyone is running shorty headers and/or H pipe on their v6. If you do, how so you like it and do you get better low end torque like everyone says you so?

I have a 14 V6 6sp man completely stock and 95% of my driving is done between 1-3RPM's and I noticed the powerband doesn't really kick in until 2500-3000 rpm.
AgentGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Get some 3.55 or 3.73 gears. It will give you that down low your looking for. I have shorty headers and a custom H pipe and while it didn't give me as much down low as I'm looking for is has made a noticeable difference.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have the shorties but not the H pipe. I mainly got the shorties for sound, but i did notice a bit more low end torque after installation, but don't expect anything mind blowing. The sound makes it 100% worth it to me though, it makes it deeper and it loses most of the rasp through the RPMs.
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hmm I'm curious too as I want to eventually get shorties and a tune a bit further down the road. Would they work well with stock mids or would I eventually want to replace those as well, hopefully with an H mid. Also what about the cats? I live in CA and want to ensure it passes smog.
Any ideas on how they might sound with Borla S-types?
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I live in Southern California about 40 mins away the BBK and I let them use my car to C.A.R.B test the BBK shorty headers. I got free headers for doing it. The shorties gave it a great deep sound and I could feel the power increase but it wasn't huge. The shorties passed the CA smog test with flying colors and I'll be recovering the C.A.R.B number soon.
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Where'd you notice most of the power come from? Do you have a stock setup? And hell I'd drive down there if they gave me free headers, I'd even pay for installation haha. Did they put em on for free too?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I had to take off my cat backs, intake, throttle body and return my tune to stock so they could get it tested. I received the car back with the headers installed and everything else completely stock. It still sounded really nice and I felt more power throughout the whole band. Since we live in CA we have no choice but to get the shorties. The long tubes are better for top end but shorties are better for bottom end and they do increase power up top just not as much as the long tubes. Now that I put all of my other mods back on and loaded up my Bama tune it sounds even better and is faster. The headers gave at least a 10 rwhp gain. BBK didn't charge me anything, not even for install.
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGTO View Post
I am wondering if anyone is running shorty headers and/or H pipe on their v6. If you do, how so you like it and do you get better low end torque like everyone says you so?

I have a 14 V6 6sp man completely stock and 95% of my driving is done between 1-3RPM's and I noticed the powerband doesn't really kick in until 2500-3000 rpm.
I am running the BBK Ceramic Shorties, BBK Catted X-Pipe and the Ford Racing Sport Axle-Backs Exhaust.

It's raspy but you can't make a V6 sound like a V8. Real happy with this setup. At cruising speed you can hardly hear them. Much better than driving down the road and hearing that constant engine noise.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Get some 3.55 or 3.73 gears. It will give you that down low your looking for. I have shorty headers and a custom H pipe and while it didn't give me as much down low as I'm looking for is has made a noticeable difference.
Not sure if I want to get new gears. Don't want to spend that kinda money yet. If my supercharger funds works out, then maybe. I'm also not looking wheelie starts either just something to make it easier to so stop and go traffic with giving mpg
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGTO View Post
Not sure if I want to get new gears. Don't want to spend that kinda money yet. If my supercharger funds works out, then maybe. I'm also not looking wheelie starts either just something to make it easier to so stop and go traffic with giving mpg

Ok but your not gonna see much from shorty headers by themselves. You would have to change other parts of the exhaust to make it more free flowing. That's how you get the power. To the guy that says it won't sound like a V8, I agree but it can sound like a damn good v6 and be mistaken for a v8. It's all about how you configure your exhaust. There are countless combinations and I have tried a few and heard many in person. My combo I have now as worked out to be the best to my ears. See clip below.

http://youtu.be/C8QqH8SBET4
Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

AJ, what exactly is your setup cause that sounds incredible
Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
AJ, what exactly is your setup cause that sounds incredible

+1
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I have BBK shorty headers, mid-pipe consist of stock cats/resonators and a custom H-pipe built in instead of the factory hybrid x/h, custom over the axle pipes to get rid of the flat spots in the stock piping and Borla S-type axle backs.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds amazing
Old 03-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok but your not gonna see much from shorty headers by themselves. You would have to change other parts of the exhaust to make it more free flowing. That's how you get the power. To the guy that says it won't sound like a V8, I agree but it can sound like a damn good v6 and be mistaken for a v8. It's all about how you configure your exhaust. There are countless combinations and I have tried a few and heard many in person. My combo I have now as worked out to be the best to my ears. See clip below.

That sounds really good! That's very similar to what it wants car to sound like.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That sounds really good! That's very similar to what it wants car to sound like.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang