which to buy-2014 v-6 premium or gt standard? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Sounds like a beast. Is it still a street car or mainly a strip car? He's got props from me for still keeping it a 6spd, with the spray, he should be able to hit low 10's @ around 140.
Its still very streetable, has all power accessories, ac works and looks like a clean lowered z with wheels until it starts up. The factory 6spd has been rebuilt for upgrading the factory parts never broke, he did drive with caution. The factory 10 bolt survived but got swapped out before it had a chance. It has a complete Pa performance suspension, but driving the car on drag radials is like trying to get traction on ice.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
If I was looking for boost on my 3.7, I would install a super charger and call it a day.
For almost 6K id rather get a 5.0!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You really only need the ton of power when racing. And Nitrous is activated at WOT, that makes it perfect. Have a car that's tame around town but it can open up when you need the power.
Meh id rather have all the power all the time at my disposal! Plus a nitrous tune running w/o nitrous will cut stock power! Just my preference tho!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Meh id rather have all the power all the time at my disposal! Plus a nitrous tune running w/o nitrous will cut stock power! Just my preference tho!
All joking aside the 5.0 coyote is one bad dude. My 2013 f150 had the 5.0 and it ran really good for a big truck. I'm just amazed how my 3.7 performs just as good as my 96 cobra did and my 06gt. You've owned them both you know the difference between them. The coyote is an entirely different animal. I have three kids in private school so the base stang 3.7 was my ticket back into a stang within budget
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
That was my way into the mustang family also, although I'd love to have a 5.0, really who wouldnt, but with having a family the 3.7 with 305hp from the factory was good to pass up! But even that was a hard sell to the wife lol. I love owning a mustang!

2013 V6, Candy apple metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,painted side mirrors covers,upper and lower black billet grille,pony projection lights,boss 302 strut tower brace,barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,bama tuned,bbk shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
I'm sure a bare base model aero Fox body had a lot more compared to a base1960's Ford model. Its called progress but regardless I personally rather have the options in a loaded premium model over another model that's faster but bottom trim level.

If the OP desires more power then what he currently has their are plenty of options out for the 3.7 to achieve that goal besides buying a V8.
If you consider disc brakes, PS and brakes. The cars came with roll up windows, manual door locks, no AC and 4 cylinder seats. It was about as bare bones as you could get in the modern era. If I could have eliminated the PW, PDL etc. I would have, but sadly that is no longer an option.
Again, everyone has their own opinion about it which is why all flavors of Mustang are made.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I totally agree with that and everybody has different things that make them happy and enjoy. To each their own and what's important too one may not be important to another enthusiast. Some people it's just not important to have a v8 and 420 horsepower. Some people just love the look of a Mustang and only need 305 horsepower because it fits their needs and wants.
I talked one of my employees into getting a 2014 V6 over a GT, it was the right car for his personal needs.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I didn't think the F-body interiors were all that bad, at least from a drivers perspective. The large hump in the floor on the passenger side is a bit much however.

I will admit that the new Camaro interiors looked awesome before the car actually went into production. Now they make the Mustangs interior look like a Maybachs by comparison. They are just awful (Camaro interiors if that wasn't clear).

My Z28 is capable of much lower times. I have yet to run the car on slicks, I know when I do, the current rear end will explode like all the previous ones have. Depending on how things work out this year with building my Talon and investing money into the 94 5.0, I might end up with a Moser 12 bolt and a set of slicks on the Z28 and go for low 10's.

That said, it doesn't take much more than a cam to get good times out the LS1 fbodies. Sounds like your cousin has a nice running car.

I had a 95 Z28 back in the day, that had to be one of the most horrible interiors ever put into an automobile. The cracked dash, 1984 Corvette quality interior pieces etc. were terrible. I hated not being able to see the hood from a seated position.
Between the chintzy interior, waterpump/opti failure and lack of work space under the hood, I dumped it quickly.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #79
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
I talked one of my employees into getting a 2014 V6 over a GT, it was the right car for his personal needs.
You should have given him/her a raise so they could afford the V8....
Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
For almost 6K id rather get a 5.0!
I completely understand bro. I can't say your wrong in that opinion. different stokes for different folks. I could see that comparing base model V6 too base model V8 but not a fully loaded , premium V6 model. But that's why Ford makes different models and options for everybody's needs and wants. Cars models and options are not a one fit for everybody. Mustang owners on sites like this are in the minority compared to the other consumers who purchase mustangs.

I personally see far more V6 models on the road compared to 5.0 models because the vast majority of consumers (not owners of these sites) don't care about going 155 mph..They don't need a car that goes 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. They don't care about having an engine that can handle 600 rwhp plus.

The majority just want to own a great looking, good MPG's, comfortable, tech packages, better than average acceleration sports like car and 305 HP is more than enough for the majority all for under 25K. People on sites like this are in the minority of Fords customer base.

Is the 5.0 a faster car and geared more for higher performance over the 3.7 model. Heck yeah it is. It better be. The car is over 7,000 dollars more so I better be getting something more for the money. Not every consumer cares about having top power and performance. The majority are not track racing their cars nor drag strip racing them. They drive too and from work and then too Wally World too pick up milk and bread.

I certainly love the 5.0 and would like too have owned one but didn't love it enough too pay an extra 7,500 dollars for it but that's just me.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

[QUOTE="Oh2freshstang;1962133"]
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
All joking aside the 5.0 coyote is one bad dude. My 2013 f150 had the 5.0 and it ran really good for a big truck. I'm just amazed how my 3.7 performs just as good as my 96 cobra did and my 06gt. You've owned them both you know the difference between them. The coyote is an entirely different animal. I have three kids in private school so the base stang 3.7 was my ticket back into a stang within budget
Don't get my wrong tho the 3.7 is in a league of it's own! It's an amazing car & I loved mine!!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I completely understand bro. I can't say your wrong in that opinion. different stokes for different folks. I could see that comparing base model V6 too base model V8 but not a fully loaded , premium V6 model. But that's why Ford makes different models and options for everybody's needs and wants. Cars models and options are not a one fit for everybody. Mustang owners on sites like this are in the minority compared to the other consumers who purchase mustangs. I personally see far more V6 models on the road compared to 5.0 models because the vast majority of consumers (not owners of these sites) don't care about going 155 mph..They don't need a car that goes 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. They don't care about having an engine that can handle 600 rwhp plus. The majority just want to own a great looking, good MPG's, comfortable, tech packages, better than average acceleration sports like car and 305 HP is more than enough for the majority all for under 25K. People on sites like this are in the minority of Fords customer base. Is the 5.0 a faster car and geared more for higher performance over the 3.7 model. Heck yeah it is. It better be. The car is over 7,000 dollars more so I better be getting something more for the money. Not every consumer cares about having top power and performance. The majority are not track racing their cars nor drag strip racing them. They drive too and from work and then too Wally World too pick up milk and bread. I certainly love the 5.0 and would like too have owned one but didn't love it enough too pay an extra 7,500 dollars for it but that's just me. ---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------
Yea ur 100% right bro different strokes for different folks! I've owned a base 12 & 13 3.7 & now my premium 12 5.0 & IMO the premium isn't worth the extra $ the only difference to me is leather seats (which I don't care for) & my color (which is cool but I can live without) & the shaker stereo (which is cool but again I can live without) only reason I got the premium was b/c that was the best deal I found! I will way the base 12 came with a terrible feeling steering wheel the base 13 came with the leather one that was way better!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #83
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Wow I've often had this debate with one of my good friends. He teases about how I would rather have the V6 Premium over the GT base. And to that I answer, I would rather keep my 06 V6 as my cursing car, and get an 11-14 GT base for fun.

So, it's a tough call, I like fancy gadgets and leather seats, so for me to sell mine, and get a GT, I'd want the premium model myself which is out of my budget. If I could buy a Mustang and not have to daily drive it, I'd buy the GT base and get a fancier daily driver.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I don't see how trading in a car that you just drove of the lot makes any sense. You basically just gave the dealer a few grand.
JRockDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Just buy a premium, loaded Gt and there you best of both worlds. Those who hunger for that 5.0 powerplant yet also desire the creature comforts and technology gadgets. Problem solved.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just buy a premium, loaded Gt and there you best of both worlds. Those who hunger for that 5.0 powerplant yet also desire the creature comforts and technology gadgets. Problem solved.
If money were no object, you may as well get a GT500!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRockDetroit View Post
If money were no object, you may as well get a GT500!
Now your talking. Lol. If someone is only concerned with having the most power and most performance out of their mustang and can only afford a base Gt or a loaded V6 premium then the base Gt is the best deal for that person. It comes down to what's more important to each owner. For people like me, I would rather have a more luxurious interior with the tech stuff and do regret not getting the premium package.

I added more power and that was the easy part.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now your talking. Lol. If someone is only concerned with having the most power and most performance out of their mustang and can only afford a base Gt or a loaded V6 premium then the base Gt is the best deal for that person. It comes down to what's more important to each owner. For people like me, I would rather have a more luxurious interior with the tech stuff and do regret not getting the premium package.

I added more power and that was the easy part.
That was my exact thinking as well. I figure down the line as I desire more performance, I can add a little as I get the cash. The GT would have stretched me too thin, too soon.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRockDetroit View Post

That was my exact thinking as well. I figure down the line as I desire more performance, I can add a little as I get the cash. The GT would have stretched me too thin, too soon.
I hear you on that bro. As you become more financial secure you can always add easy more power to the 3.7. Why take a beautiful fully loaded premium V6 that someone paid 27k for and loose 6,000 plus dollars buy selling it a year or two later just for more power and 5.0 emblems, and a base model too boot.

Keep your fully loaded premium V6, spend 5,000 on a procharger supercharger and poof! You now have a fully loaded , premium, leather seated mustang with 400 plus rwhp which is more than a base stock 5.0 at 360 rwhp.

That's the route I would take if I choose I want too break the 400 HP mark. I have a 2011 V6 with approximately 34,000 miles. I have spent approximately 4k in mods and 22,500 for the purchase. In total I have 26,500 into my car. If I was too sell it now, which I'm not but hypothetically speaking I would be lucky too get 18k for my ride and that's a maybe. If I sold it for 18k it would most likely cost me at least 26k for a base automatic 5.0. So it would cost me 8,000 dollars more to own a base 5.0 and I have too start from scratch with mods.

Along with that poo sandwich I would only have 360 rwhp with a 5.0. On the other hand if I just spend 5k on a supercharger I save 3k and instantly have 440 to 450 rwhp with my current mod setup. Now if 450 rwhp doesn't get the blood pumping to my little schwantz then I can take that 3k left over I saved from not buying a 5.0 and purchase forged rods, pistons and crankshaft.

Forge my 3.7 engine, turn the boost up on the supercharger till my little v6 is making 550 to 575 rwhp and now for the same 8k I now have an almost 600 rwhp mustang. Or spend the 8k on a 5.0 that makes 360 rwhp.

I'll just take the supercharger, 450 rwhp, pocket the extra 3k for better tires and wheels and call it a day. That's just my opinion and how I would roll.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear you on that bro. As you become more financial secure you can always add easy more power to the 3.7. Why take a beautiful fully loaded premium V6 that someone paid 27k for and loose 6,000 plus dollars buy selling it a year or two later just for more power and 5.0 emblems, and a base model too boot. Keep your fully loaded premium V6, spend 5,000 on a procharger supercharger and poof! You now have a fully loaded , premium, leather seated mustang with 400 plus rwhp which is more than a base stock 5.0 at 360 rwhp. That's the route I would take if I choose I want too break the 400 HP mark. I have a 2011 V6 with approximately 34,000 miles. I have spent approximately 4k in mods and 22,500 for the purchase. In total I have 26,500 into my car. If I was too sell it now, which I'm not but hypothetically speaking I would be lucky too get 18k for my ride and that's a maybe. If I sold it for 18k it would most likely cost me at least 26k for a base automatic 5.0. So it would cost me 8,000 dollars more to own a base 5.0 and I have too start from scratch with mods. Along with that poo sandwich I would only have 360 rwhp with a 5.0. On the other hand if I just spend 5k on a supercharger I save 3k and instantly have 440 to 450 rwhp with my current mod setup. Now if 450 rwhp doesn't get the blood pumping to my little schwantz then I can take that 3k left over I saved from not buying a 5.0 and purchase forged rods, pistons and crankshaft. Forge my 3.7 engine, turn the boost up on the supercharger till my little v6 is making 550 to 575 rwhp and now for the same 8k I now have an almost 600 rwhp mustang. Or spend the 8k on a 5.0 that makes 360 rwhp. I'll just take the supercharger, 450 rwhp, pocket the extra 3k for better tires and wheels and call it a day. That's just my opinion and how I would roll.
I got my premium 5.0 for 24K. There were a lot from 20K-24K (the cheaper ones didn't have the options I wanted) & a S/C is gonna run u more like 6K when u get the tune & even more if ur gonna pay for install! Not to mention u now have to upgrade the v6 suspension to handle the power.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got my premium 5.0 for 24K. There were a lot from 20K-24K (the cheaper ones didn't have the options I wanted) & a S/C is gonna run u more like 6K when u get the tune & even more if ur gonna pay for install! Not to mention u now have to upgrade the v6 suspension to handle the power.
No way in my area you can get a brand new 5.0 premium package for 24k. Not here bro. Your the man for paying that brand new. I can have the install done for free. A dyno tune, yes can't change that. I already have some suspension mods so not worried about that. I haven't seen any new 5.0's selling for 20 to 24k.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I haven't seen any new 5.0's selling for 20 to 24k.
Top end of that scale:

New 2014 Ford Mustang For Sale | Fairfax VA

There are premiums out there all day long in the 26K-28K before TTL.

There are plenty of Coyotes running 11's with minimal mods and DR's without very much effort involved.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

In ur original post u were talking about trading a 3.7 for a 5.0 & the difference would be 8K I didn't know u meant a new 5.0!! Of course it's gonna cost u a lot more ur trading a used car with 30k+ miles for a brand new one with 0 miles!! Haha.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In ur original post u were talking about trading a 3.7 for a 5.0 & the difference would be 8K I didn't know u meant a new 5.0!! Of course it's gonna cost u a lot more ur trading a used car with 30k+ miles for a brand new one with 0 miles!! Haha.
Lol. That's what I meant but I didnt say new at first. Lol. I could see paying 20k for a used 5.0 base model.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

[/
Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Yea ur 100% right bro different strokes for different folks! I've owned a base 12 & 13 3.7 & now my premium 12 5.0 & IMO the premium isn't worth the extra $ the only difference to me is leather seats (which I don't care for) & my color (which is cool but I can live without) & the shaker stereo (which is cool but again I can live without) only reason I got the premium was b/c that was the best deal I found! I will way the base 12 came with a terrible feeling steering wheel the base 13 came with the leather one that was way better!

I agree. I hate the seats. I wish I could have got a base, but I like my shaker system. It's not an aftermarket big boom, but it'll do.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsix View Post
Destroys? I don't know about that. They perform too close to say Destroys. Just my opinion on the matter.

Not. The 6 isnt the 8. Lol
backnblack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I agree. I hate the seats. I wish I could have got a base, but I like my shaker system. It's not an aftermarket big boom, but it'll do.
I wish I had the Recaros! :drool: the shaker is cool but honestly the base stereo that was in my 13 3.7 wasn't that bad it's self..at least for me!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by backnblack11 View Post
Not. The 6 isnt the 8. Lol

Haha Your right the new v6 is BETTER than the old 05-10 V8.....DESTROYS THEM!
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

which to buy-2014 v-6 premium or gt standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2014V6 View Post
Haha Your right the new v6 is BETTER than the old 05-10 V8.....DESTROYS THEM!

I've driven both pretty extensively. Very close power-wise. In every other way, the 2011+ 6s do indeed destroy the older GTs. The most notable difference to me is in the steering. I hit a bump in the road going 70ish in an 07 GT convertible and it was actually pretty unnerving. My 2014's steering seems much more sure of itself, especially in sport mode.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

605 RWHP on a safe tune
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I've driven both pretty extensively. Very close power-wise. In every other way, the 2011+ 6s do indeed destroy the older GTs. The most notable difference to me is in the steering. I hit a bump in the road going 70ish in an 07 GT convertible and it was actually pretty unnerving. My 2014's steering seems much more sure of itself, especially in sport mode.

Convertibles are not known to be the most Stable of cars!.. I've driven both a '06 Convertible and '06 Hardtop!.. Both completely stock, and must say the hardtop was a lot more stable!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Convertibles are not known to be the most Stable of cars!.. I've driven both a '06 Convertible and '06 Hardtop!.. Both completely stock, and must say the hardtop was a lot more stable!..

I figured. But I've driven an 02 GT vert a little too and didn't find it as...I don't know...jittery? Do know that the 2007 GT had a lot more of a feeling of torque. Like I could punch it from 0 and it'd give you that "here we go" feeling. To get the same feeling from my V6, I need to be in the mid RPM range.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 03-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I figured. But I've driven an 02 GT vert a little too and didn't find it as...I don't know...jittery? Do know that the 2007 GT had a lot more of a feeling of torque. Like I could punch it from 0 and it'd give you that "here we go" feeling. To get the same feeling from my V6, I need to be in the mid RPM range.
I know what you mean about the lack of torque down low feeling. My 3:73 gears and MPT tune really too care of that torque issue. Lol
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You might have had some bad shocks in your '07 or something!.. I know my '06 GT feels almost as stable as my '04 GT!.. And the '06 is stock, except some tinted windows now!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
You might have had some bad shocks in your '07 or something!.. I know my '06 GT feels almost as stable as my '04 GT!.. And the '06 is stock, except some tinted windows now!.. Lol

Not a suspension thing I don't think, just steering feel. But it was a while ago. At the time, I wasn't used to driving anything with electronic steering so that could have played a role. But I do know that with my 14, if I engage sport steering, 70 mph feels like 40. Very cool, calm, and collected.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang