which to buy-2014 v-6 premium or gt standard? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
which to buy-2014 v-6 premium or gt standard?

i currently have a 2014 v-6 premium automatic. love it. I went to dealer today to already see about trading in because i wish i had more toys when i bought it. i have the pony package, rear assist and alarm with it, but wanted the heated seats, nav system and rear camera. i have the deep impact blue i love, but not too keen on the light interior i got, should of got black or even the brownish color, but now i know. so to get one the way i want it now, i put about 10000 down with rebates so i should be able to trade in with the 4000 i rebates they have now and X plan i get, the one i want no one has at all doing a search of AZ and all surrounding, even to colorado. that means they may have to order it. they are going to call me monday to see what it would take and what they can do for me to have all the toys i want. i did drive a gt today though with the nav, and it was fast! now im wondering should i get a stock gt or the v-6 i have with all the toys for about the same price?
disneyfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
WoW---Only you can make this decision

If you really would like the power, sound and prestige of a GT A six just ain't gonna cut it. If you like the 3.7 V6 like I do, A GT ain't gonna cut it.
Only YOU can make the decision on which you would rather have.
The GT guys are gonna suggest a V8.
The SIX guys are gonna suggest a SIX.
Me, I personally love my 3.7 V6 and don't even think about a V8.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you really would like the power, sound and prestige of a GT A six just ain't gonna cut it. If you like the 3.7 V6 like I do, A GT ain't gonna cut it.
Only YOU can make the decision on which you would rather have.
The GT guys are gonna suggest a V8.
The SIX guys are gonna suggest a SIX.
Me, I personally love my 3.7 V6 and don't even think about a V8.
Ronnie
Agree 100% they had three gts parked next my v6 on the car lot where I made my purchase. I had my mind set on the v6 before I got there. The 3.7 to me gets the job done, but like ronnie stated you gotta decide for you.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
I'm a huge fan of the 3.7. Stock it's no slouch, but with bolt ons it's a whole nother beast.

Luxury wise, I'm not a fan of the stock "toys" I NEED the tech package at least to be happy.

Ultimately it's your choice.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393770789.738035.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	675.5 KB
ID:	149425

The new V6 destroys the previous made GT's and has plenty of power. I love my 3.7
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Not a fan of base models. I went from a premium v6 to a premium v8. If I could go back I would have went with the v8 from the get go. I lost my butt doing so but I'm happy and I always wanted to mod a car and the v6 was a good learning experience.

With the rebates you could get a gt the way you want for 5-6k more.

They are both great cars.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393777202.709347.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	857.5 KB
ID:	149442

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393777233.373009.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	799.3 KB
ID:	149443
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

A GT is certainly going to be fast, but youll probably regret getting a base model when you walk up to it or looking around the interior.

Isn't the lack of amenities the reason you looking elsewhere anyway? In my opinion speed doesn't completely make up for this.

Sent from my XT1053 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
All depends on what u really want! If u want all the "toys" get the fully loaded six! But if u really want the power get the 5.0. Once u start wanting the 5.0 power it's gonna be on the back of ur mind till u trade it in! (I've been there) If u look u can probably find a fully loaded used 5.0 with low miles for around the same price as a new fully loaded six!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2014V6 View Post
Attachment 149425

The new V6 destroys the previous made GT's and has plenty of power. I love my 3.7
Destroys? I don't know about that. They perform too close to say Destroys. Just my opinion on the matter.
+Magnaflow Competition Catback Exhaust
+BBK 73mm Throttle Body
https://www.youtube.com/user/redsixmustang
Redsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I do have a few mods but I've had a few 05-09 GT's on the highway next to me and they punch it hard and I can always pull away easily from them after a few seconds, one being a friend saying he have it everything and couldn't stay with me.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I started with a 2012 v6 premium Mca. I loved it it was a great car and had great power for a v6. But a few weeks ago I finally decided to get myself a gt I went to a base gt with a few options. Recaro seats, fp8 appearance package, reverse sensors, tech package. I hated the leather seats I'm my 2012. I also live in Phoenix. I don't regret getting my base gt at all.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Base GT. These cars depreciate faster than Obamas credibility. Buy the speed and don't waste $ on over priced factory add on's. Aftermarket is already working on a bolt in 8.8 for the 2015. Going to make some good money on that deal.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do have a few mods but I've had a few 05-09 GT's on the highway next to me and they punch it hard and I can always pull away easily from them after a few seconds, one being a friend saying he have it everything and couldn't stay with me.
Lol! You sir just have a nice V6. I sold my 07 GT Vert (I was anticipating a move to cold weather with no garage... but it didn't happen). So I went and bought the 2012 V6. I remember thinking at the time that the GT had slightly better low end pull and torque, but both were comparable rides though.
+Magnaflow Competition Catback Exhaust
+BBK 73mm Throttle Body
https://www.youtube.com/user/redsixmustang
Redsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Attachment 149425

Destroys? Shove that word up your *** dood. Stock for stock the old 4.6 still comes out on top and what you can bolt-on to your 3.7 I can bolt-on to my 4.6.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Destroys? Shove that word up your *** dood. Stock for stock the old 4.6 still comes out on top and what you can bolt-on to your 3.7 I can bolt-on to my 4.6.

+11. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post

I saw that one coming! lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfun1 View Post
i currently have a 2014 v-6 premium automatic. love it. I went to dealer today to already see about trading in because i wish i had more toys when i bought it. i have the pony package, rear assist and alarm with it, but wanted the heated seats, nav system and rear camera. i have the deep impact blue i love, but not too keen on the light interior i got, should of got black or even the brownish color, but now i know. so to get one the way i want it now, i put about 10000 down with rebates so i should be able to trade in with the 4000 i rebates they have now and X plan i get, the one i want no one has at all doing a search of AZ and all surrounding, even to colorado. that means they may have to order it. they are going to call me monday to see what it would take and what they can do for me to have all the toys i want. i did drive a gt today though with the nav, and it was fast! now im wondering should i get a stock gt or the v-6 i have with all the toys for about the same price?
Personally, I would never give up a fully loaded, premium model with leather seats for another model that's bare bones base especially one with cloth seats. Oh, F no dude. Here is the real issue. Your tired of getting your chops busted and comments made about you buying a V6 mustang. Your tired of people saying " Why would you buy a mustang with a V6 ?" That's what this is all about bro, I know because I hear that stuff all the time from co workers, friends and heck complete strangers.

You want too feel like your the man because you have a V8 mustang. You could have a 215 HP 5.0 mustang back from the early 90's and because its a V8, your the freaking man a real muscle car.
Buy a 305 HP V6 mustang and your a joke and WTF would you get a v6 mustang for.

OP, Respectfully, let me ask you why you would even contemplate getting rid of your loaded premium model V6 for a base model Gt? Why do you want a Gt?.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
People hate on the 3.7 but it actually puts out more hp per cubic inch than the 5.0 or whatever that formula is haha. Personally a Mustang is a Mustang I love all of 'em.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Get_252520Along.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	149549  
Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I saw that one coming! lol

I know...lol
Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #20

I traded my 6 for a base GT because I wanted the torque. But, it is a much more expensive car to own...insurance and fuel costs go up. If you want bells and whistles and money is a factor, go with the V6. They are both fast, fun cars.
2013gt5.0auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013gt5.0auto View Post
I traded my 6 for a base GT because I wanted the torque. But, it is a much more expensive car to own...insurance and fuel costs go up. If you want bells and whistles and money is a factor, go with the V6. They are both fast, fun cars.
I could see trading a loaded V6 for a loaded V8 but absolutely not giving up a loaded V6 for a base model Gt. The money that someone would loose trading their V6 in they could of just installed a supercharger if they want more power. If more power and torque one desires then just drop the 5,200 dollars on a supercharger for the 3.7 and instantly over 400 rwhp with no additional bolt on mods.

It would be a different story if someone had a base 3.7 had zero mods and wanted too purchase a base 5.0. The money people are spending on modding their 3.7's they are just better too supercharge it and someone like myself would have 440 to 450 rwhp. I think that's plenty fast for a DD.

People just get caught up in muscle car pressure and feel inferior because of the out dated, archaic way of thinking about engine sizes. That thinking is becoming smaller and smaller over time with the newer generation of enthusiasts..This upcoming generation is where the 4 banger turbo cars are cool and Fast and Furious movies rule. Its not like the 60's, 70's and 80's where the V8's were making all the power. Its 2014 and there is a new replacement for displacement. Its called technology and progress.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The base interior on the Mustangs are atrocious. It's not something I could deal with day to day.

The premium package is well worth the extra money. The 5.0 is simply not worth anything near the $8,000 markup over the 3.7.

OP needs to ask himself, does he want a nice car or a fast car.

Either way, I would wait until the '15 comes out before I traded anything in.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The base interior on the Mustangs are atrocious. It's not something I could deal with day to day.

The premium package is well worth the extra money. The 5.0 is simply not worth anything near the $8,000 markup over the 3.7.

OP needs to ask himself, does he want a nice car or a fast car.

Either way, I would wait until the '15 comes out before I traded anything in.
I totally agree with you the 5.0 is not worth the 8,000 dollar markup over the 3.7.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

MORE POWER!! have a GT and couldn't imagine not having it. I have the premium GT but I would definitely trade the premium if I had to in order to keep the GT
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
MORE POWER!! have a GT and couldn't imagine not having it. I have the premium GT but I would definitely trade the premium if I had to in order to keep the GT
MORE POWER is easy too get. Heck with giving up a loaded model with leather and all the technology goodies for a bare bones base model. F that crap. I have a base model and doesn't hold a candle too the premium package with leather seats.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 kona blue View Post
more power is easy too get. Heck with giving up a loaded model with leather and all the technology goodies for a bare bones base model. F that crap. I have a base model and doesn't hold a candle too the premium package with leather seats.
i went from a premium v6 to a base gt with options. I am way happier with my new car. I liked the color changing lights but i could care less if i didnt have them. The stereo was good in the premium but i still did a aftermarket system. And leather i hatted out here in phoenix az, it was hotter than hell in the summer and flippin cold in the winter. So i would much rather have my base gt with the tech package, reverse sensors, and recaro seats. And add my own stereo system.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post

i went from a premium v6 to a base gt with options. I am way happier with my new car. I liked the color changing lights but i could care less if i didnt have them. The stereo was good in the premium but i still did a aftermarket system. And leather i hatted out here in phoenix az, it was hotter than hell in the summer and flippin cold in the winter. So i would much rather have my base gt with the tech package, reverse sensors, and recaro seats. And add my own stereo system.
I completely understand that but respectfully, can I ask you something? Why would you buy a car with leather knowing you live in Phoenix AZ and its hotter than hell in the summer and flipping cold in the winter. I mean didn't you know it is really hot in Phoenix in the summer prior to you buying leather seats. So if you don't like leather seats in the hot and cold why buy a car with leather seats. Just buy a base model with cloth seats from jump.

If you wanted recaro seats then why didn't you just get them in the v6 model from jump? Just wondering and not trying too be a jerk or wise guy!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsix View Post
Destroys? I don't know about that. They perform too close to say Destroys. Just my opinion on the matter.

I doubt that very seriously, I think youve been drinking too much of that V6 antifreeze....
Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I totally agree with you the 5.0 is not worth the 8,000 dollar markup over the 3.7.
Yes its totally worth it....someday he will sell it. A V6 will never ever ever be close to what a V8 is worth + the 5.0 will smoke that V6.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

If you want a V6 buy a Fusion
Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I completely understand that but respectfully, can I ask you something? Why would you buy a car with leather knowing you live in Phoenix AZ and its hotter than hell in the summer and flipping cold in the winter. I mean didn't you know it is really hot in Phoenix in the summer prior to you buying leather seats. So if you don't like leather seats in the hot and cold why buy a car with leather seats. Just buy a base model with cloth seats from jump.

If you wanted recaro seats then why didn't you just get them in the v6 model from jump? Just wondering and not trying too be a jerk or wise guy!

It was my first mustang and I bought it used also it was my first car with leather. So I guess you can say I didn't know any better or that I just didn't think about those things when buying it.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
which to buy-2014 v-6 premium or gt standard?

You answered your own thread in the second sentence. You "want more toys."

Should be the shortest thread ever.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post

Yes its totally worth it....someday he will sell it. A V6 will never ever ever be close to what a V8 is worth + the 5.0 will smoke that V6.
Of course the V6 will never be worth what a v8 is worth. The v8 costs 7,500 plus dollars more so when you sell the V8 you will get more. Isn't that obvious. The v6 will resell for less than a GT but the V6 costs less. Who gives a crap if the v6 sells for less. We paid less for the V6 so it works out too be the same. The 5.0 smoking a V6 is irrelevant.

Again, making a 3.7 faster is easy! Its like a house. I would rather have the smallest house is the nicest and best area then have a big a$$ house in a crap area. I would rather have a fully loaded smaller V6 than a bigger engine that offers nothing other than going faster from 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile. I would rather take the extra money saved and put it into a supercharger on the 3.7 too make 400 plus rwhp which compared to a stock 5.0 at 360 rwhp.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
I doubt that very seriously, I think youve been drinking too much of that V6 antifreeze....
Are you doubting that the 3.7 V6 runs nearly just as well as the previous 4.6 V8?

From motortrend - 2011 Ford Mustang V-6 First Test - Motor Trend

2011 3.7 V6 6spd Track Pack (3.31 gears) - 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.7 at 102.0 mph

2010 Mustang GT Track Pack (3.73 gears) - 0 to 60 in 4.9 and the quarter mile in 13.5 at 104.2

.2 seconds to 60 and that lead carries over through the 1320. That means it is likely a gearing advantage and not a power advantage. Looks to me like the 3.7 does just about as well as the previous 3V 4.6. All while achieving 19/29 MPG against the V8's 16/24 MPG.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

One thing to remember also, a loaded car regardless of it's engine typically has a higher resale value percentage than a base model with the bigger engine...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang