New here, new car. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
New here, new car.

Hey everyone, as my title says I am obviously new to the forums and just yesterday was able to get my hands on a v6 mustang. Was focused on the 5.0 but with taxes and additional costs it was a little expensive although for a v6 I must say this car is VERY FUN.
I opted for the manual although I don't know how to drive manual, and just today started practicing driving. I am interested to hear what people's opinions on some mods that would improve performance might be? Atm I am planning on purchasing a roush exhaust, new shift know and possibly a cai.
Super happy with the car so far and glad to be part of this community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Hey welcome here you will love the stick as soon as you get the hang of it . You will need Somone to show you how to drive it or you will have a rough start . Sounds like a fun car happy for you
Old 03-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks so much! Yes having my step-dad teach me. After a few stalls and some stressful minutes I am getting the "feel" of the clutch and gas. So fun to drive you can really feel the power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I love my 14' V6 and have been working on a few mods already, I live 30min from American Muscle but their website has a lot of really good quality parts and mods. I had a cold air intake, strut bars, lowering springs are going on this week with strut and anti sway bars, new throttle body and throttle spacers, front lip, 8000k hid headlights and fog lights, all internal and external bulbs swapped for LED's, 3.7 side badges, Borla pro series exhaust, one piece Aluminum drive shaft from AM with a safety loop, a BAMA TUNE with 93 octane setup with their diablo sport tuner. (CAUTION DO NOT REMOVE THE FACTORY SPEED LIMITER WITH A TUNER UNLESS YOU DO AN ALUMINUM ONE PIECE DRIVE SHAFT AND LOOP!). The V6 drive shaft is 2 piece and weak and will break apart at 135mph and cause a lot of damage. Tinted windows 25%...More to come just a few ideas for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393768642.043760.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	647.4 KB
ID:	149417

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393768722.596762.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	675.5 KB
ID:	149418

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393768790.273705.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	680.0 KB
ID:	149419

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393768835.959659.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	866.7 KB
ID:	149420

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393768870.444801.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	149421

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393768903.305488.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	723.0 KB
ID:	149422
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Man that's an awesome car! Great job. Definitely looking to work on mines just as much as you have on yours.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have a quick question concerning the clutch. So with learning stick obviously you will stall the car, yesterday I had a rough time and stalled a lot. Today there was less stalls. How long does it take for you to wear out your clutch and have to replace it? And how much would it be? The Ford salesman had told me 2k to get it fixed.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I've had them well over 140k without replacing the clutch. Depends how bad you are on it. Everyone stalls it learning, that's normal, I've tougher friends of mine on my mustang and had them stall it a lot learning. It's not "good" for it but it's not really going to hurt anything unless it's over an over for a long time or getting the RPM's really high and just letting it burn the clutch bad. You will learn and be able to do it soon enough won't take long. It become second nature and you don't even think about it after a little while.

The dealer was probably close as for the clutch is not the cheapest thing to go pulling apart unless you have a mechanic as a buddy, the parts are not that much but the labor is what can kill you. You won't be replacing it anytime soon just keep practicing and you will get it.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the quick reply Mike! Definitely makes me feel a little better now haha. I have only burned the clutch about 3 or 4 times due to thinking I'm in 1dt gear and I'm really in 3rd uuuugh man. But I'm getting the hang of things now, I was actually able to drive in the streets for a while on the way home.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Uno, if you can get this one down the rest will be easy. The hints I'll give are make sure to always push the clutch in fully and be aware of the narrow gates. If you think of 1st and 2nd as one gate, 3rd and 4th as the another gate, 5th and 6th as another when you go from 1st to 2nd you need to pull down and towards you or you can easily hit 4th instead of 2nd. When you go from 2nd to 3rd just push the shifter forward the strong centering springs will guide you into the 3/4th gate. If you are on the hwy and down shift from 6th to 5th keep a pressure to the right or it is easy to grab 3rd instead (not good) I find the shifter wants to go into the 3/4 gate by itself and you either need to let it if thats where you want to be or compensate for it if you are trying for another gear. Enjoy the ride and in a few weeks you'll know how to drive a standard forever. I'll give you a hint once you get decent with it find a deserted hill and practice starting w/o rolling backwards. It's easier without someone on your bumper esp the 1st few times.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I don't think you should really worry about wearing it down, my 98 has 148k on it and it took me a good week to learn how to drive stick. My clutch is still fine and it doesn't look like it has been replaced in a long time if at all. Good luck learning it and be careful starting out on steep inclines. Welcome to the site.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Idk about yours but my 2014 actually has an anti role back feature. On any hill the brake is auto applied when in gear for 5 seconds or until you let the clutch out it auto disengages so it is virtually impossible for the cat to role backwards on any hill. I've been driving stick for years and don't need it but it is actually a really nice feature never worrying about rolling back at all.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Car*
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys! been so busy with work and driving lol but wanted to update this thread. I am looking to get my exhaust, window tints, cai by end of month so I'm super excited! the car has been so fun to drive I love it, amazing how good the mileage is! Bought the car friday practiced sat and sun and just today was the tank hitting empty. I have improved a lot with the help of driving back and forth to work but still need practice with the hills haha! Just wanted to update everyone!
BeyondUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2014V6 View Post
I love my 14' V6 and have been working on a few mods already, I live 30min from American Muscle but their website has a lot of really good quality parts and mods. I had a cold air intake, strut bars, lowering springs are going on this week with strut and anti sway bars, new throttle body and throttle spacers, front lip, 8000k hid headlights and fog lights, all internal and external bulbs swapped for LED's, 3.7 side badges, Borla pro series exhaust, one piece Aluminum drive shaft from AM with a safety loop, a BAMA TUNE with 93 octane setup with their diablo sport tuner. (CAUTION DO NOT REMOVE THE FACTORY SPEED LIMITER WITH A TUNER UNLESS YOU DO AN ALUMINUM ONE PIECE DRIVE SHAFT AND LOOP!). The V6 drive shaft is 2 piece and weak and will break apart at 135mph and cause a lot of damage. Tinted windows 25%...More to come just a few ideas for you.

Attachment 149417
Attachment 149418
Attachment 149419
Attachment 149420
Attachment 149421
Attachment 149422

Can mine look like this? Like got dang. That car is sexy. What kind of chin spoiler is that? Kind of looks like the Street Scene gen II one but I'm not sure..
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2014V6 View Post
I've done 140 mph in my 3.7 and don't have a belt loop with my one piece aluminium driveshaft. It was smooth as can be.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Can mine look like this? Like got dang. That car is sexy. What kind of chin spoiler is that? Kind of looks like the Street Scene gen II one but I'm not sure..

Thanks. And yes it is the street scene gen II
Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've been there the hills were always the worst lol. In my opinion you should definitely get a custom tune. It will really unlock the V6's potential. If you go through American Muscle and buy the Bama tuner you get unlimited tunes for life. So as you keep adding more go-fast parts on, you'll be able to update the files no problem.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

^yeah thats what I'm aiming for! might as well get the best the first time. I just bumped into am's v6 project car my gooood I fell in love lol. I'm actually thinking of supercharging my car now (no way it will happen anytime soon with the cost haha)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking at the side and rear window louvers and just wondering if tinting the windows will affect the visibility more?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
I'm looking at the side and rear window louvers and just wondering if tinting the windows will affect the visibility more?

I myself don't have louvers but my windows are tinted. The amount your visibility will be affected will depend on how dark you're planning to go with the tint. I've got 15% tint on mine and the only time I have trouble seeing out of them is if I'm in the middle of nowhere at night with no streetlights (which is basically never lol.) Louvers for the most part are designed to give you enough visibility through the slats so everyday driving isn't a problem. It all depends on what you decide to do.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGenius View Post
I myself don't have louvers but my windows are tinted. The amount your visibility will be affected will depend on how dark you're planning to go with the tint. I've got 15% tint on mine and the only time I have trouble seeing out of them is if I'm in the middle of nowhere at night with no streetlights (which is basically never lol.) Louvers for the most part are designed to give you enough visibility through the slats so everyday driving isn't a problem. It all depends on what you decide to do.

OP, check out the silver horse racing louvers. They can be custom painted including tinting and body matched. They replace the windows altogether.

I think they look awesome and still give solid visibility.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang