Need advice on first spring purchase - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Need advice on first spring purchase

Spring is right around the corner and I cannot wait put this snow behind me (and to think I hesitated on buying snow tires back in November lol; I live in PA btw).

Anyway, basically I'm torn between either getting a CAI and tune first from Steeda or buying a set of GT500 quad take offs along with a rear valence. All in all the price is about the same between the two. The CAI and tune will run about $750 with tax and the GT500 quad take offs will be $335, plus a rear valance at $250, plus labor I figure will be around $150 bringing the grand total to around $735. I am leaning towards the axle backs first because the Steeda tune and CAI are always available, but the axle backs are not always easily available (unless I'm wrong here), especially used ones with low miles.

What do you think? Axle backs or cai and tune first?
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Id go with the axlebacks (catbacks preferred) since you can get the CAI and tune on sale later in the year for far cheaper from AM
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishWolf View Post
Id go with the axlebacks (catbacks preferred) since you can get the CAI and tune on sale later in the year for far cheaper from AM
I here ya on the catbacks, but right now getting the quad exhaust is going to cost me quite a bit and I'd rather wait on the rest, getting the quads is going to be the more difficult part since I would rather not buy them new.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Spring is right around the corner and I cannot wait put this snow behind me (and to think I hesitated on buying snow tires back in November lol; I live in PA btw).

Anyway, basically I'm torn between either getting a CAI and tune first from Steeda or buying a set of GT500 quad take offs along with a rear valence. All in all the price is about the same between the two. The CAI and tune will run about $750 with tax and the GT500 quad take offs will be $335, plus a rear valance at $250, plus labor I figure will be around $150 bringing the grand total to around $735. I am leaning towards the axle backs first because the Steeda tune and CAI are always available, but the axle backs are not always easily available (unless I'm wrong here), especially used ones with low miles.

What do you think? Axle backs or cai and tune first?
Hey,

We cannot wait to see the spring weather and melt all this snow as well (We are also in PA and had a brutal winter to say the least).You certainly have your head in the right place though, both are great places to start.

I would personally recommend getting an intake and tune, on the new cars they really are one of the best bangs for your buck. The tuner specifically really is something you want to invest in sooner than later because most of your future mods will only be benefited with this device. Depending on which intake and tuner you are going with, we can most likely either beat or match their price. The best all around set up I would say would be an SCT SF3 tuner paired with either a JLT or Airaid intake. Either one of these will give you a substantial power pick up, and give you lasting quality for years to come.

Keep in mind if you make any order, we offer a 6% discount for our forum members, and that can be used on your entire order. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to myself, or contact our customer service team listed below my signature. Good luck!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Hey,

We cannot wait to see the spring weather and melt all this snow as well (We are also in PA and had a brutal winter to say the least).You certainly have your head in the right place though, both are great places to start.

I would personally recommend getting an intake and tune, on the new cars they really are one of the best bangs for your buck. The tuner specifically really is something you want to invest in sooner than later because most of your future mods will only be benefited with this device. Depending on which intake and tuner you are going with, we can most likely either beat or match their price. The best all around set up I would say would be an SCT SF3 tuner paired with either a JLT or Airaid intake. Either one of these will give you a substantial power pick up, and give you lasting quality for years to come.

Keep in mind if you make any order, we offer a 6% discount for our forum members, and that can be used on your entire order. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to myself, or contact our customer service team listed below my signature. Good luck!

-Dan
Thanks Dan!

I've read many of your posts as well as others and I am aware that the tune and CAI are pretty much the rock solid #1 and #2 first mods to add to your car. Unfortunately that's sort of where my predicament comes into play. I know what would be better to do first, but I also don't want to miss out on the available used GT500 quad axle backs with low mileage.

The tuners and CAI will always be around, but low mileage GT500 take offs are not always around. I definitely don't want to spend the money on brand new GT500 axlebacks since the prices I've seen are about $400 a pop (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Perhaps if you draw my name from that $350 AM sweepstakes I'll do both
Old 03-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Thanks Dan!

I've read many of your posts as well as others and I am aware that the tune and CAI are pretty much the rock solid #1 and #2 first mods to add to your car. Unfortunately that's sort of where my predicament comes into play. I know what would be better to do first, but I also don't want to miss out on the available used GT500 quad axle backs with low mileage.

The tuners and CAI will always be around, but low mileage GT500 take offs are not always around. I definitely don't want to spend the money on brand new GT500 axlebacks since the prices I've seen are about $400 a pop (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Perhaps if you draw my name from that $350 AM sweepstakes I'll do both
I did all at the same time so can't help much... I just wanted to thank you for the truly LOL i got on the subtle hint to AM.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Whatever you do, do the tune with it first. It's the best thing by far for a stock car. I also think the take offs will be around for awhile.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The other mods will benefit greater from having a tuner. It seems logical to get the tuner first.
Hiram2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang