Bama vs. Lund tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Bama vs. Lund tunes

Hi everyone,
I am relatively new to the forum world. I have a '12 V6 with the V6 Performance Package. It has the following mods: K&N CAI, BBK 73mm throttle body, MAC Performance LT headers, shorty h-pipe, full Pypes exhaust (no cats). Needless to say, it's pretty quick already, but now I'm looking to add on a tune to really wake this beast up After doing some research I've narrowed it down to two choices; Bama and Lund. I'm kinda leaning towards Lund b/c it seems that everyone runs Bama and I want to be different. Also, I've read that Lund gets a bit more power out of their tunes than Bama. What do you guys think? Are there any others you would recommend instead?
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGenius View Post
Hi everyone,
I am relatively new to the forum world. I have a '12 V6 with the V6 Performance Package. It has the following mods: K&N CAI, BBK 73mm throttle body, MAC Performance LT headers, shorty h-pipe, full Pypes exhaust (no cats). Needless to say, it's pretty quick already, but now I'm looking to add on a tune to really wake this beast up After doing some research I've narrowed it down to two choices; Bama and Lund. I'm kinda leaning towards Lund b/c it seems that everyone runs Bama and I want to be different. Also, I've read that Lund gets a bit more power out of their tunes than Bama. What do you guys think? Are there any others you would recommend instead?
MPT! I run MPT Bama and Steeda! MPT is my favorite and most powerful of my three tunes.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Either get MPT or Lund for your tune. You will love Bama for maybe a week then want a different company to tune your car lol. Many people switch from Bama and love the more agressive tunes from other companies. My MPT is night and day difference over my old bama tune.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mad is your shorty h pipe from Mac as well? id love to hear a sound clip from your car at idle and rev it. Not many people get Mac LT for our v6 im curious how your setup sounds.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Lund is top notch. You won't be left unsatisfied.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I've read in a couple of threads that MPT pulls insane in low + mid rpms, while Lund shines at high rpms. Anyone who has a personal experience with both?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Lund, simple as that.

My question to you is, why didn't you get a tune first? That CAI and TB are nothing but paper weights right now... There's doing absolute nothing in terms of gains. Same with those long tubes, at least your exhaust may be louder. Although a good tune can tie all of those mods together and make them come to life.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with either MPT, Lund or VMP. A lot of V6 guys don't know that VMP makes tunes for us too, not just the GT/Boss. I have a 91 H Bama tune now and they have a hard time using the full potential of my mods. I feel like the car isn't any faster than when it was just stock with a tune. I'm looking elsewhere for my tuning. Most likely Lund or MPT.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I personally have never had any issues with my bama tunes however my MPT is my favorite. 75 dollars for an MPT is an amazing deal. Its my understanding the hard core mustang enthusiasts that frequent SVT mustang forums use Lund. Lund is 200 dollars and from what I have been told, well worth it. I have no experience with Lund, but since I have MPT, Love it I would recommend you at least try MPT first. You will not be disappointed..
Old 03-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Lots of good advice here on the tunes they gave you. My question is with all those mods, have you done any data logging in Torque or DashCommand to see what your car's computer is doing to compensate for those mods without a tune?

How is your stock idle on the stock tune with LongTubes, no Cats and a TB added? Normally those are items you need a tune to put on to prevent "possible" engine damage. What are you doing to keep the check Engine lights from coming on with no CATs? Where did you put your rear O2 sensors?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Lots of good advice here on the tunes they gave you. My question is with all those mods, have you done any data logging in Torque or DashCommand to see what your car's computer is doing to compensate for those mods without a tune?

How is your stock idle on the stock tune with LongTubes, no Cats and a TB added? Normally those are items you need a tune to put on to prevent "possible" engine damage. What are you doing to keep the check Engine lights from coming on with no CATs? Where did you put your rear O2 sensors?
The check engine light doesn't come on because the tuning company takes care of that. Your definitely not going to want too drive your car on stock tune with long tubes and off road mid pipe.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Kona, the OP is currently on the stock tune. Thus, his CELs haven't been turned off yet.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
The check engine light doesn't come on because the tuning company takes care of that. Your definitely not going to want too drive your car on stock tune with long tubes and off road mid pipe.
Hi Kona; The OP is asking about getting a Tune for the first time in the subject title of this post. So I am interested in what is going on in the OP's car without a tune and those Mods like you and I say need a tune to be able to run with.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The check engine light doesn't come on because the tuning company takes care of that. Your definitely not going to want too drive your car on stock tune with long tubes and off road mid pipe for any length of time.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The check engine light doesn't come on because the tuning company takes care of that. Your definitely not going to want too drive your car on stock tune with long tubes and off road mid pipe for any length of time.
I am not sure why you would repeat that statement based on the above intel
Old 03-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am not sure why you would repeat that statement based on the above intel
Sorry bro, I'm lost on what your saying? What statement did I repeat?

Lmao..sorry! I just misunderstood. My bad guys. Sorry. Really. I'm sober! Lmao
Old 03-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry bro, I'm lost on what your saying? What statement did I repeat?
Kona, please be able to read; and look at the posts...
Old 03-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Kona, please be able to read; and look at the posts...
Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Lund, simple as that.

My question to you is, why didn't you get a tune first? That CAI and TB are nothing but paper weights right now... There's doing absolute nothing in terms of gains. Same with those long tubes, at least your exhaust may be louder. Although a good tune can tie all of those mods together and make them come to life.
Good question. Main reason I didn't do a tune first was b/c I wasn't sure which one I wanted. If I decide to go with Lund I didn't want to spend $200 every time I added something else on for an updated file. So I decided to get all my bolt-ons first and then worry about the tune later.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I believe Lund sends free updated tune files for simple bolt-on additions.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

To be honest the majority of the parts were installed just recently. I don't drive my Mustang during the winter so it's been sitting in my garage since November. I took it for a quick spin on one of the only nice days we've had so far to make sure there were no leaks, weird vibrations, etc. Since then I haven't had much time to mess around with it. It currently does run a bit rough at idle but that's to be expected. Once I get my tuner I'll be able to take care of that as well as my CEL.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If Lund is too critical for you then you can also consider Steeda. It's a real tunes for life program like Bama and cost the same. I have Bama and Steeda tunes and I personally prefer Steeda.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info, it's looking more and more likely I'm going to go with Lund
Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This. They will update for simple bolt-ons. I verified this past Friday when I called them as I'm thinking about going with them & it's not a good idea to be driving without a tune with the mods you have.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+ 1 ^ Lund does offer free updated tunes for bolt on mods. As long as your not adding a supercharger, turbo or nitrous Lund will update your mods for free. Its on their web site. Free updated tunes!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Lund is the only person I have ever heard of that will reply to your emails, and even datalog and make a new tune for you at midnight on the weekend. That right there assured me that they are the best available. I know that wouldn't always happen but he just happened to be on his email, and he helped me a lot.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
Lund is the only person I have ever heard of that will reply to your emails, and even datalog and make a new tune for you at midnight on the weekend. That right there assured me that they are the best available. I know that wouldn't always happen but he just happened to be on his email, and he helped me a lot.
No doubt Lund does amazing tunes. One of the best in the profession, I'm sure.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Lund will blow any tune out of the water. Period. MPT doesn't have crap on a lund tune.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
supersixx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersixx13 View Post
Lund will blow any tune out of the water. Period. MPT doesn't have crap on a lund tune.

You could be right? Do you run a Lund tune? Do you run an MPT tune?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I have run bama mpt and now lund. Jon Lund is the master of tuning our cars. He is figured out fuel mapping issues others haven't.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersixx13 View Post
I have run bama mpt and now lund. Jon Lund is the master of tuning our cars. He is figured out fuel mapping issues others haven't.

So how much faster in the 1/4 mile does your mustang run with your Lund tune over your MPT tune?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To be honest the majority of the parts were installed just recently. I don't drive my Mustang during the winter so it's been sitting in my garage since November. I took it for a quick spin on one of the only nice days we've had so far to make sure there were no leaks, weird vibrations, etc. Since then I haven't had much time to mess around with it. It currently does run a bit rough at idle but that's to be expected. Once I get my tuner I'll be able to take care of that as well as my CEL.
10-4 on the storing since November, mines locked up as well. What did the shop do with your rear O2 sensors once they took the CATs off? Did your CEL go on? It sounds like it did based on your last line. Congrates on getting all those mods done at once, that is like the full intake/exhaust list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona
Haha, I like that I probably was into a few drinks myself.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #33
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi everyone,
MadGenius,

I don't think you could go wrong with Lund Racing or Bama. Both are reputable tuners that have been in the game for a very long time. I obviously have more experience and information with Bama Performance though.

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between 14 different Project Mustangs, tons of street/track testing and dyno testing on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC, we're able to really dial in your Mustang!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns. I'm here to help!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So how much faster in the 1/4 mile does your mustang run with your Lund tune over your MPT tune?
Idk never ran my car with the MPT tune. I had nothing but problems with it. I had 4 tune revisions done and all them caused my car cut during acceleration. I will hopefully be running my car this Thursday. If I do I will post my times. Look up some of the stangs he has tuned and the speed and e/t records they hold. That's why Jon Lund is the best.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I also know somebody that was running an mpt tune and was having problems. He had Jon look at it and then told mpt how to fix the tune lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang