Borla Ataks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Borla Ataks

Hello mustang family. I have my self a 2014 v6 mustang completely stock i have decided to start modding it & i need an exhaust that has no rasp or tin can sounding! I am strongly leaning towards the borla Ataks although i need other opinions. As well as the bad sides to the Ataks
Again NO TIN CANS!!
Ddemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have the Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks (Borla Stingers) and they have a pretty deep tone for a v6. They aren't as loud as the ATAKs, but IMO they sound a little more like a muscle car should. Either way Borla is great brand and you can't go wrong with any of their products. Also see if you have any mustang clubs in your area where you can listen to some different exhaust set ups.

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'd recommend doing a full cat back for the most power and sound. Also look into an H pipe if your looking for deep. Nothing you do can get rid of that rasp the v6s are known for but an h with a cat back works well. Also depends if you want loud always or just at WOT. id recommend anything borla or magnaflow
Floridasixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thanks guys i really appreciate it!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Borla ataks ????????????

You sure picked the loudest most obnoxious mufflers going. Go to the Borla web site and listen to the three different one's they make.
For what your asking I would think you would be more satisfied with the Borla touring, Ford racing Touring or Magnaflow Streets.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah ive heard about every system there is but i needa listen to one in person to see if its to my liking. The videos can only show so much
Old 03-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I just ordered Borla Ataks from AM for my 2013 V6. I made the dedision after I drived my freind's 2014 V6 wich Borla S type, which is not as loud as that showed in offical video.
GlobalMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This one is right from Borla

Check it out:

Everybody likes the different noise levels.
You have Nice
You have loud
Then
You have OBNOXIOUS

Ronnie
Old 03-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If you want I'll post a vid later of my set up. It's borla ataks (cat back) and a custom built h pipe
Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
ATAKs are gonna sound like a super loud race car. S-Types are really deep but still quite loud. All your preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
I have the Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks (Borla Stingers) and they have a pretty deep tone for a v6. They aren't as loud as the ATAKs, but IMO they sound a little more like a muscle car should. Either way Borla is great brand and you can't go wrong with any of their products. Also see if you have any mustang clubs in your area where you can listen to some different exhaust set ups.
I believe Borla doesn't make the new FRPP axle-backs like people believe, so they're not the same thing. They're a little quieter than Borlas.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
ATAKs are gonna sound like a super loud race car. S-Types are really deep but still quite loud. All your preference.

I believe Borla doesn't make the new FRPP axle-backs like people believe, so they're not the same thing. They're a little quieter than Borlas.
The ataks do not sound like a race car. They sound amazing. Solid sound and great performance. They pop too so I like that
Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasixer View Post
The ataks do not sound like a race car. They sound amazing. Solid sound and great performance. They pop too so I like that
That's what they sound like to me, all out nasty loud which doesn't sound bad at all. Borla mufflers like to pop I like it too
Old 03-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No it's not nasty loud. To me it's a pleasing sound for a little sixxer. I hate roush and flowmaster but that's my taste
Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i agree with all of you to some extent.. because the nasty obnoxious loud i am talking about is the tin can noise which to me i cant stand. even when i floor my mustang id rather not hear the tin can noise. but i guess that is what i get for choosing a sixer
Old 03-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddemian View Post
yeah i agree with all of you to some extent.. because the nasty obnoxious loud i am talking about is the tin can noise which to me i cant stand. even when i floor my mustang id rather not hear the tin can noise. but i guess that is what i get for choosing a sixer

No tin can noise even when flooring my Magnaflow Streets.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

+1
Old 03-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
but are they loud?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
sorry what i mean by that is is it noticeable at idle? even in cruising on the freeway or on the streets as i heard the ataks are?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Probably not, I've heard them in a few videos. To me they're a very polished (by polished I mean function wise not aesthetics) version of the factory mufflers. They do sound good but I found them only to be loud at WOT (which sounded great). Don't know if you'll like these or not but YouTube Borla Stingers / S-Types. They're deep and loud
Old 03-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Probably not, I've heard them in a few videos. To me they're a very polished (by polished I mean function wise not aesthetics) version of the factory mufflers. They do sound good but I found them only to be loud at WOT (which sounded great). Don't know if you'll like these or not but YouTube Borla Stingers / S-Types. They're deep and loud
yes i have heard of those but since they say that the ataks are they loudest they make i never really put thought into other borlas because i didnt think they were loud but thanks! ill definitely think about the Stingers now
Old 03-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
also i notice that you have a GT.. wont the exhausts be more quiet on the V6 as opposed to your beast? lol
Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I want to say yes, but it really depends, so I'll say "most of the time."

I bought my Borla Stingers/S-Types for my 2006 V6 Mustang with the Ford Racing true dual exhaust kit. It was really loud and sounded great for a V6. When I got my GT I transferred my mufflers and it definitely sounded a lot better on the GT, but not quite as loud oddly enough.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sorry what i mean by that is is it noticeable at idle? even in cruising on the freeway or on the streets as i heard the ataks are?
It's a v6. Idle will always be kinda quiet. Your missing those two cylinders so those missing pulses will keep the noise down. I know it sounds counterintuitive but you don't want loud on exhaust. People always say louder is better but I disagree. To me it's the quality of the sound and eventually you'll get tired of that loud noise. Trick is to find a nice balance
Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, I haven't even started the car since early November, but I do know that they had a louder, deeper tone than stock at idle, but nothing that would give neighbors anything to complain about, even on cold start before the idle drops.

Cruising on the freeway or street is a nice, deep tone, but nothing to get you in trouble. You can still hear the stereo fine, and Microsoft Sync can still hear and understand you.

When you stomp on it, it lets out a nice deep roar, and letting off gives zero pop. I know some of you like the popping. That is a matter of preference. It's not for me. I always liked that "Woooom-Baaaaa" sound you get when revving up a car and then letting off. I had a '73 'Cuda that would do that as well as my current '95 T/A with full a Magnaflow exhaust. I think you guys know the sound I am referring to, the 'Baaaaa" is as the motor is backing off and the RPMs are coming back down. There was no popping when doing that, the mufflers would just cancel that out and turn it into sweet music. I wish some of the more aggressive exhausts for the 3.7 would do that also instead of just letting it come through as pops.

My wife has yet to drive the car, but I had a friend run it around the block once while I stood out in the street. When he took off at heavier than normal acceleration but not nailing it, the car sounded great, so now I know what other people hear coming out of my pipes. I was very satisfied with that sound.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a v6. Idle will always be kinda quiet. Your missing those two cylinders so those missing pulses will keep the noise down. I know it sounds counterintuitive but you don't want loud on exhaust. People always say louder is better but I disagree. To me it's the quality of the sound and eventually you'll get tired of that loud noise. Trick is to find a nice balance
yes you are definitely right on that.. i never thought about it in that way thanks!
Old 03-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Borla Ataks

I will say this, looking at YouTube videos, I also like the Borla Stingers and Bassani on our 3.7. I have no personal experience with them, but I think they sound great on the videos. Not sure of the volume level difference between these two and the Magnaflow Streets.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yes you are definitely right on that.. i never thought about it in that way thanks!
Yeah man anytime. Pm if you got questions still or anything
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Forget the Borlas, go with the Pypes. I think that they're just as loud as the Borla ATAK, sound just as good (if not better) and are a fraction of the price.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Pypes are sh*t and their price backs that up
Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Pypes are sh*t and their price backs that up
Hey dude come on be civil, not every one 700 800 $ to spend. My pypes sound great, I would rather spend $ on the best suspension mods.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

It's just my opinion. Definitely not a fan of pypes, I've heard bad stories left and right ab their fitment and personally their sound isn't attractive to me at all. Just me though
Old 03-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Just because a person does not like a certain sound or price

It does not mean the item is bad. Some of the Mustang owners like the pipes super loud. Some like myself like a lower deeper rumble. Some like direct bolt on and some like to custom fit their choice.
You really can't knock a product just because it is not what you like. If we all had the same exact mufflers we may as well just kept the stock one's on the car.
Doing some modification's to your Mustang makes it yours and not a clone of everybody else's.
I personally like my Magnaflow streets but know they are not for the person that likes super loud. It is their Mustang and they need to put on it what they like. There are so many manufacturers making exhaust it is hard for some people to choose. It is nice to try to explain how certain brands fit and sound then knock the brand you don't like. There are a lot of people that love their pypes and they do seem to get them installed OK.
Nothing is crap or junk if someone wants it and installs it properly on their car.
Ronnie
Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Mr. Ronnie, I could never argue with you. Always saving the day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang