Vibration after Axle back install - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #36
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
^^^ I'm in agreement with you GrabberMeBlue. At this point, the easiest way to troubleshoot this would be to put the stock axle backs on. If the vibration and clunks go way, the source of the problem has been identified.

The clunk situation would be felt in the "seat of the pants" if it were transmission related I'd think. Unless an exhaust hanger got really twisted in alignment, this seems doubtful. If it were the case, I'd be looking at another shop to hang the next set of axle backs.

I've done 3 sets of these (two on my Mustang; one on a friends), on a garage floor with only jack stands; we never had these problems the OP is mentioning. And as much as I've posted on how I'm not a fan of the Roush, one of these was a set of Roush! They lasted all of about 30 minutes on my Mustang before they were removed.

I'm beginning to think these Roush axle backs are like Christmas fruitcake; only a few are made, and get handed down/sold to the next person!
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah will put the stocks back on after work.

Could anyone please post a pic of how the hanger should be set? So that way i can have an idea or at least compare to see if I have mines wrong
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
^^^ I'm in agreement with you GrabberMeBlue. At this point, the easiest way to troubleshoot this would be to put the stock axle backs on. If the vibration and clunks go way, the source of the problem has been identified.

The clunk situation would be felt in the "seat of the pants" if it were transmission related I'd think. Unless an exhaust hanger got really twisted in alignment, this seems doubtful. If it were the case, I'd be looking at another shop to hang the next set of axle backs.

I've done 3 sets of these (two on my Mustang; one on a friends), on a garage floor with only jack stands; we never had these problems the OP is mentioning.

I backed mine up on ramps and did mine, no problems either. He did mention that he took them apart the day after getting them installed and reinstalled them. Not sure if that is when the clunking got introduced, but now it's not even a shop install anymore.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Yeah will put the stocks back on after work.

Could anyone please post a pic of how the hanger should be set? So that way i can have an idea or at least compare to see if I have mines wrong

If mine wasnt in storage i could send you a pic of where it touches. Just lay underneath with a bright light and look at everything carefully, grab your pipes from underneath and shake them around/pull them towards you, look for anything that is close to other parts. Thats how i found where mine was touching.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another update, now i turned the car on to go to work and after driving it for about 25 miles the car started to make clunk noises on the exhaust when I was going to park it.

I put the car in R and it made that loud clunk noise and was the same from r to p.

What a terrible mistake a made buying this crap of exhaust.
You need to look under you car while its on the ground, not on a lift and check to make sure your overaxel pipes have enough clearance around the rear suspension. If they do and you say nothing was adjusted up front concerning your exhaust I suspect you have another issue and not the exhaust. The Roush Axel backs are much smaller than the OEM mufflers so the muffler itself shouldn't be hitting anything and the fit are usually bang on when it comes to hanger placement with roush so I don't see that being an issue. Good luck.

2013 V6, Candy apple metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,painted side mirrors covers,upper and lower black billet grille,pony projection lights,boss 302 strut tower brace,barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,bama tuned,bbk shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #41
Admin

Supporter
Admin

FastFord13 makes a good point; if these were installed using a lift, then when the car was settled on it's driveline, the exhaust system may have settled, and is rubbing on something.

When I have custom pipe work done on a vehicle, my exhaust shop will take it for a ride with me in it to identify if there are issues such as this. Lets hope it is a simple issue with the install and not the Roush themselves.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm beginning to think these Roush axle backs are like Christmas fruitcake; only a few are made, and get handed down/sold to the next person!

Ha!!!!!!! That's good!!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
FastFord13 makes a good point; if these were installed using a lift, then when the car was settled on it's driveline, the exhaust system may have settled, and is rubbing on something.

When I have custom pipe work done on a vehicle, my exhaust shop will take it for a ride with me in it to identify if there are issues such as this. Lets hope it is a simple issue with the install and not the Roush themselves.

He said he was there when the shop installed it and was under the car. Question for OP, was it a lift where the wheels hang free, or was it a lift that the car is driven up on and the wheels support the weight of the vehicle while in the air?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Wrong post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #45
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
He said he was there when the shop installed it and was under the car. Question for OP, was it a lift where the wheels hang free, or was it a lift that the car is driven up on and the wheels support the weight of the vehicle while in the air?
More good points! The muffler shop I use has both. They usually use the "drive on" type lift (where the car is supported by its suspension) for vehicles that do not have a complete frame, and the one that has the swing out arms for those that do (have a complete frame).
Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

If its not touching any suspension part when the car is on the ground and there's no problem with clearance, as Bucko stated I don't see how just axelbacks, no matter what make, can cause a clunking noise. Even if the OEM axelbacks are put back on and the "clunk" goes away I'm still not convinced that it was the axelbacks themselves causing the issue. They are much smaller and lighter than the OEM ones, other than a bad install there is nothing that would make them "clunk" just my 2ยข.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,painted side mirrors covers,upper and lower black billet grille,pony projection lights,boss 302 strut tower brace,barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,bama tuned,bbk shorty headers,Roush AB.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Just went outside and test it and the noise is like when you let the brake go slow it makes that weird noise. Well thats the noise I am hearing and it is coming from the back of the car but i am not sure if it is comming from the brake or the exhaust, I already asked a coworker to help me out. He will go out with me after lunch to see if we can fund from where is that noise coming from
Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Just checked it with my friend and dammit you can only hear that noise from inside the car, the exhaust is so loud outside that u cant hear it lol

I will checked again afterwork so i can change cloth and get under it
Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just went outside and test it and the noise is like when you let the brake go slow it makes that weird noise. Well thats the noise I am hearing and it is coming from the back of the car but i am not sure if it is comming from the brake or the exhaust, I already asked a coworker to help me out. He will go out with me after lunch to see if we can fund from where is that noise coming from

By noise, are you talking about the clunking? If so, don't start the car. Just work the brake pedal. Do you hear it inside? Does your friend hear it outside now? Can you narrow it down?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Do you guys think that putting dynomat on the trunk could help with the vibration?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah about the clucking. With the car off it doesn't. Make any noise because i cant brake with the car off jeje
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah about the clucking. With the car off it doesn't. Make any noise because i cant brake with the car off jeje

You can't apply the brakes with car off? Never heard of that. Sure, you won't have power assist, but the calipers will still grab the rotors. I just went out and stepped on the brakes in my 2012.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

I mean, you can but since the car is not in d not r you wont hear any noise, i only hear the noise when i shift from r to d or d to r.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #54
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I mean, you can but since the car is not in d not r you wont hear any noise, i only hear the noise when i shift from r to d or d to r.
When the Roush were installed, did the idle RPM go up? It almost sounds to me now as if the idle RPM went up by a couple hundred RPM, producing the "clunk" sound when placing the transmission into gear.

This may have been asked/covered already, but are you getting this clunk noise on a cold started situation? When the engine is cold, and started, the RPMs will be slightly higher to allow for a warmup. depending on temperature, this fast idle can be anywhere from 10 seconds up to about 20 seconds. If you shift into gear during this timeframe, you may be experiencing a clunk.

If this is the case, try letting the engine warm for about 30 seconds, or until the idle settles down to it's "normal" idle, then shift into gear. Does it still clunk?

Or, the clunk is exhaust related (something in the exhaust clunking against metal when placing the car in gear.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

I really dont know if the rpm went up
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I know hindsight is always 20-20, but I read about exhausts and picked Borla-s made for Ford under Ford Racing Sports. I also heard abotu install issues on all brands of cars with after-market exhaust, and how they can change after awhile and needed re-centered.

So instead of going to the exhaust shop, I had my dealer put on Ford Racing Sports. I then knew if I complained about a noise, I would not get blown off about after market mufflers. Sure enough, about 2 weeks of using them the passenger side tip was not centered any more. I took it in and 15 mins later it was centered perfecta again and has stayed that way. It cost me more, but I have better piece of mind and no hassles to deal with.

If and when I put headers on, it will be at the dealer, I know it cost a lot more, but I cant deal with the hassles otherwise. All my 70s cars got header "tics" in them months after I put headers on and I don't want to re-live that hell again. At least I hear the Factory Ford metal manifold gaskets work with the BBK shortys.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok. I guess I am not understanding where the brake is coming into play.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #58
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I really dont know if the rpm went up
Check the tach on the dash...normal idle on my 2011 3.7 with an automatic is below 1000; about 700 to 800 (ball park guess, as the tach does not have numbers below the 1K mark.

Also, on a cold engine, you'll both hear and see the RPM's being higher. After a few moments, no more that 20 seconds I'd say, you'll hear the RPM drop (plus you'll see the tack needle drop). This would be the "normal" idle.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

What i meant is, how you ever hear the noise a brake made when is wet??

Thats the noise I hear when I shift.

Sorry for the confusion, english is my second language and i am doing my best here to explain you guys what is going on
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

It happens either with cold or warm engine. It really doesn't matter
Old 03-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It happens either with cold or warm engine. It really doesn't matter

Either way, Bucko would like you to verify the RPMs you have now just to be sure they aren't too high. You will need to let him know what the needle on the tach says.

Don't worry about your English, you are doing fine.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks

I will check the rpm right now
Old 03-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
What i meant is, how you ever hear the noise a brake made when is wet?? Thats the noise I hear when I shift.
My brakes will make wet brake noise putting them on or even just first moving out of the garage when stored for more than a week. The rotors get a film of rust on them in about a week sittign in the garage. The noise goes away in about 5mins worth of driving the rust off and the rotors look clean again.

Are you storing your car for a time and then this noise happens?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, i drive my car everyday
Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Isn't it pretty humid in Miami?

I wouldn't describe the wet brake sound as a clunking, to me it is more of a rubbing, grabbing or squeaking? Do you still feel it sounds like a clunking or banging?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #66
Admin

Supporter
Admin

If the car clunks at any time of the day when going from park to drive/reverse, and the RPM's show below the 1(k) mark (meaning a normal idle), then the clunk has to be exhaust related. There has to be a pipe or axleback side that is striking metal underneath when you first place it in gear.

Either that, or your idle is too high, but that is set by the ECU/PCM parameters. I don't think a set of axlebacks are going to fool the ECU/PCM into setting a higher idle because the exhaust is that much free'er flowing. If this were the case, it would have been posted by other Roush users before, and I don't recall ever reading about this...anyone else recall this?
Old 03-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Isn't it pretty humid in Miami?

I wouldn't describe the wet brake sound as a clunking, to me it is more of a rubbing, grabbing or squeaking? Do you still feel it sounds like a clunking or banging?

Yes like a rubbing thing.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Nope, my car idles fine. If for some reason his car is idling high after the install could he remove the battery cable for five minutes and have the ECM/PCM re learn? Or was this already covered.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Another update, i re installed everything again for the third time lol.

This time i put the tips more out of the bumper and so far no vibrations nor rear windows rattle.

There was one thing i noticed, the passenger muffler has 2 hangers the one one the back, the one that connect 2 points has some rubbing, i push it and it sounds like moving but well so far everything looks good

I will drive it more later tonight and i will post some updates.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Fingers crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang