Vibration after Axle back install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Vibration after Axle back install

Hi guys,

I received my Roush axle back from AM and installed them today at my local shop. I love the sound of the exhaust and the way it looks but for some reason my car interior is rattling and when coming to a stop my car shakes when I stop the car and after just 2 seconds it goes away but if I stop again at another red light is the same, some shaking and then perfect idle.

I know is the axle back because it was not like that before.

Any advised???

Thanks
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Look under the car at the hangers for the exhaust... Make sure they aren't rubbing / pressed tight against the hanger mounts (even tightly pressed against the rubber isolator).

Then check the hanger brackets themselves and also check the mid pipe bolts. If they are loose, you will have rattling (and an exhaust leak) that will reverberate inside the cabin.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
Look under the car at the hangers for the exhaust... Make sure they aren't rubbing / pressed tight against the hanger mounts (even tightly pressed against the rubber isolator).

Then check the hanger brackets themselves and also check the mid pipe bolts. If they are loose, you will have rattling (and an exhaust leak) that will reverberate inside the cabin.
Will do that

Thank you so much!''Question, how can I know if I have an exhaust leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It will sound horrible! You'll know.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 03-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Will do that

Thank you so much!''Question, how can I know if I have an exhaust leak?

If you pull the back end up on ramps and crawl underneath while it is running you would probably notice a leak if you listen around your connections. I would say you could try spraying a soapy water solution on the clamp connections and look for bubbles like when checking a tire for a leak. Not sure how quick it would burn off your exhaust, though, if the pipes get hot.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Mine had idle issues and I wasn't tuned. It's because the exhaust is too free flowing at this point and the brain of the car thinks it's still stock and restrictive. I've had roush. Sounded great. But they rattled my rear view mirror at around 1700 in every gear except 6th. My current exhaust does this too but because it's also far deeper
Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So in order to fix the vibration i will need to tune my car?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Mine had idle issues and I wasn't tuned. It's because the exhaust is too free flowing at this point and the brain of the car thinks it's still stock and restrictive. I've had roush. Sounded great. But they rattled my rear view mirror at around 1700 in every gear except 6th. My current exhaust does this too but because it's also far deeper

So to be clear, you are telling a newb here that ONLY has an axle back Roush, that he needs a tune to solve rattling after installing the axle back.

Interesting.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hi,

Is not exacly rattling, is more like all my interior vibrate at certain rpm lol is that normal?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hi,

Is not exacly rattling, is more like all my interior vibrate at certain rpm lol is that normal?

That my friend is the dreaded Roush drone.

Or like mentioned earlier, the hangers are rubbing.

A tune will not fix drone or rattling due to rubbing.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That my friend is the dreaded Roush drone.

Or like mentioned earlier, the hangers are rubbing.

A tune will not fix drone or rattling due to rubbing.
Update,

I took the axle back apart and re-intalled it again and also I tighten the spare tire and now I no longer have the rear windshield rattle but the drone and plastic vibration is still present :/

Question, when you say rubbing you mean the movement of the muffler going back and forth with the acceleration?

Also another annoying vibration is when I stop the car it vibrates for just 2 seconds and then it goes back to normal :/

I already emailed AM and really hope they do something because I can live with drone but not with Car vibration.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Watch your tachometer, do the revs drop to about 500 then go back up to like 650
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nope. The tachometer doesn't move.

Another update, the rear windshield rattle is back and super loud

Also driving at 60 mph on th speedway you can hear a rattle that comes from behind the car, is not loud but is there and it annoying!!!!!

I really hope AM accept my exchange request.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
And Roush strikes again....lol

That's pretty normal for those obnoxiously loud bastards.....hehe
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

they should at least say that on the product description!

I know they were loud and thats why i bought them but i didnt know they were going to make my car rattle like an old 05 mustang.

That is not acceptable.

Borla ATAK are loud as hell but they dont make the car interior to rattle.

Something should be terrible wrong with this mufflers and again I really hope AM take care of me.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, Borla is like a Cadillac of axle backs. Hey, that rhymed....lol. I've heard of situations like yours and extremely disappointed customers. AM from my knowledge hasn't let a single person down yet.

BTW....Borla S-Type. Well worth my two pennies even though I got them on an extremely discounted price, I would happily pay full price if I were to do it all over again
Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thats what i will do, if AM accept my exchange i will pay the difference and get Borla S

Yeah that rhymed lololol :p
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The best of both worlds. Loud when you mash on it, deep tone, and quiet when cruising Borla S-Type is where it's at
Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

AM dont let me down lol
Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AM dont let me down lol

LOL
Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So to be clear, you are telling a newb here that ONLY has an axle back Roush, that he needs a tune to solve rattling after installing the axle back.

Interesting.

Hey, it worked for me mainly. I still have some vibration from the rear mirror and some interior panels as I carbon wrapped my dash. It's mainly the mirror with the frequency of the exhaust. If you catch the item at the right tone and frequently, it'll vibrate. My solution was a dynomat like material on my mirror and the tune helped because it allowed my to shift lower rpm and avoiding the rattle zone as I call it.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

If that doesn't make sense, forgive me, long day detailing.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope. The tachometer doesn't move.

Another update, the rear windshield rattle is back and super loud

Also driving at 60 mph on th speedway you can hear a rattle that comes from behind the car, is not loud but is there and it annoying!!!!!

I really hope AM accept my exchange request.

They won't exchange them as they can't sell a used part. I was shot down on this. You're stuck with them till you sell them or fix the vibration. Take 2 people in the car and strip it out and have the second person isolate and do what needs to be fixed. The other just drive to keep the sound replicating.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Another update, now i turned the car on to go to work and after driving it for about 25 miles the car started to make clunk noises on the exhaust when I was going to park it.

I put the car in R and it made that loud clunk noise and was the same from r to p.

What a terrible mistake a made buying this crap of exhaust.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
They won't exchange them as they can't sell a used part. I was shot down on this. You're stuck with them till you sell them or fix the vibration. Take 2 people in the car and strip it out and have the second person isolate and do what needs to be fixed. The other just drive to keep the sound replicating.

There is only one way to know . Lets see what they say today jeje
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another update, now i turned the car on to go to work and after driving it for about 25 miles the car started to make clunk noises on the exhaust when I was going to park it.

I put the car in R and it made that loud clunk noise and was the same from r to p.

What a terrible mistake a made buying this crap of exhaust.

Unless something coincidentally happened to your U-joints, it sounds like loose exhaust somewhere. When you go back and forth from reverse to park the motor is going to move a little, which will cause your exhaust manifolds to move the whole system around. Maybe it is an installation problem? Also, make sure that no part of your exhaust system is touching or even close to another part of the car. This would also cause vibrations, and if bad enough, a clunk. Not just the axle-backs, check everything from front to back. When the mufflers were installed, the installer is pulling and moving around the whole system. It would also be a good idea to have a second person so you can check in Park, Reverse and Drive. You will see the pipes in slightly different positions depending on where the shifter is positioned.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Hi,

When the installer did the installation I was there looking and he only touched the axle backs. I even re-installed everything my self the following day to see if could fix the rattle but I couldnt :/.

I also looked under the car and everything looked right, i moved the exhaust and no a single noise was replicated. And also there is no touching parts.

I will check again today after work because maybe something got lose but to be honest I think i am putting my oem exhaust back today.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

He doesn't have to physically touch the other pipes further up the car to move them. When I put my axle-backs on, when you disconnect your stock mufflers to get them off, the other pipes are going to move around and drop when nothing else is connected to them. And then you have to move them around when you are trying to get the new mufflers lined up and connected. Those are also a different type of connector and clamp on these pipes than the old days. Everything has to be lined up just right, and the clamp has to be in the right place. It is possible to tighten the clamp down thinking everything is in the right place but it still may not be. When you do change your mufflers back, just do one and then take it for a ride. Maybe you will get lucky and the side you start with is the one that is causing the noise. Then you could just try reassembling it and see what happens. It won't hurt to drive with two different mufflers to test it out.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sounds like one of your hangers needs better placement. I got y catback made custom and noticed the same thing you are at idles. Its the hanger bouncing off the sway bar mount( i think thats what it that is, only glanced at it.) took me forever to find it and wen i did it was the day i put it away for storage so i ddnt have time to fix it. It was on the drivers side, lay on your back onderneath and look at the hangers closest to the front.
The interior rattling will be there for anyone with an aftermarket exhaust i imagine. while our interiors are quite nice, its easy to tell ford cheaped out a bit to keep the cars reasonably priced.

I suggest unplugging your battery to reset your computer so it realizes youve made a change, then peek under at the hangers, and if you interior rattling is bothering you poke everything in your car a few times with your finger to find out whats loose and if its in a spot you can fix the rattling easily.
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Sounds like one of your hangers needs better placement. I got y catback made custom and noticed the same thing you are at idles. Its the hanger bouncing off the sway bar mount( i think thats what it that is, only glanced at it.) took me forever to find it and wen i did it was the day i put it away for storage so i ddnt have time to fix it. It was on the drivers side, lay on your back onderneath and look at the hangers closest to the front.
The interior rattling will be there for anyone with an aftermarket exhaust i imagine. while our interiors are quite nice, its easy to tell ford cheaped out a bit to keep the cars reasonably priced.

I suggest unplugging your battery to reset your computer so it realizes youve made a change, then peek under at the hangers, and if you interior rattling is bothering you poke everything in your car a few times with your finger to find out whats loose and if its in a spot you can fix the rattling easily.

Now he has a clunking also when shifting from Park, Reverse, Drive, not just the vibrations anymore.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Have you checked to see if the tips are centered also? If not they could be banging on the bumper, but from what I'm reading I agree with everyone that it seems to be an install issue. I know the first time I put mine on, the over axle piping was way to close to the suspension parts so I loosened the x pipe, centered everything, checked to make sure there was adequate clearance around the suspension, then tightened everything up.

2013 V6, Candy apple metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,painted side mirrors covers,upper and lower black billet grille,pony projection lights,boss 302 strut tower brace,barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,bama tuned,bbk shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #31
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I don't see how a set of axle back installs can be the source of a clunking transmission. Shifting from park to reverse (or drive), or from gear and back to park and getting a clunk has to be the exhaust moving/clunking in this case.

The vibration inside the car is either the exhaust vibrating on something below and transmitting into the body, or it's just the harmonics/drone of the Roush axlebacks.

Just out of couriosity, have you tried re-installing your stock axlebacks and taking it for a ride? Does everything go back to "normal"
Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Now he has a clunking also when shifting from Park, Reverse, Drive, not just the vibrations anymore.

Mine exhaust made alll kinds of rattling and clunking sounds. Most at very low rpms/idle. I'd be willing to bet its the same problem i had
Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I don't see how a set of axle back installs can be the source of a clunking transmission. Shifting from park to reverse (or drive), or from gear and back to park and getting a clunk has to be the exhaust moving/clunking in this case.

The vibration inside the car is either the exhaust vibrating on something below and transmitting into the body, or it's just the harmonics/drone of the Roush axlebacks.

Just out of couriosity, have you tried re-installing your stock axlebacks and taking it for a ride? Does everything go back to "normal"

Sounds like you are in agreement with everything I mentioned earlier this morning also. One other thing I didn't mention earlier that could be a source of clunking when shifting the transmission could be bad motor or transmission mount. Probably unlikely unless the car is run hard. If it started after the new exhaust, it's got to be an installation issue. Mufflers can cause drone, but not clunking if installed properly. He really doesn't mention what part of the car the clunking is coming from. Two people would really be easier to narrow this down than one, one in the car and one looking underneath.

He was going to try putting the stock ones back on today. I mentioned doing one side first and see if that side makes a difference. He's got a 50/50 chance of picking the problem side first.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry i was in a meeting at my job and couldt reply back,

I am going to go outside now and drive the car to see from where exacly is the clunk noise comming

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

The car is brand new it only has 2k miles and all the noises started after installing the axle back
Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry i was in a meeting at my job and couldt reply back,

I am going to go outside now and drive the car to see from where exacly is the clunk noise comming

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

The car is brand new it only has 2k miles and all the noises started after installing the axle back

Hangers bro. Hangers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang