Vinyl wrap or Plasti-dip? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Vinyl wrap or Plasti-dip?

So I'm a big fan of old school muscle cars, especially ones like the Plymouth 'Cuda. One thing I really like about those cars are the way they have flat black accents along with the gloss paint. This summer I'm planning to incorporate something like that on my Race Red 'Stang. Figured I would do flat-black accents on the hood, roof, trunklid and spoiler. If anyone's seen the "Red Mamba" GT500 then you'll have a good idea about the look I'm going for. I was planning to do a vinyl wrap but my friend suggested I just use Plasti-dip instead. He says it would be cheaper, however I'm concerned it wouldn't last as long as vinyl would. What do you guys think?
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #2

Plasti is a lot if work and hard to do right with intricate pieces - It's one if those things you shouldn't skimp on accessories for to avoid things like visibly uneven spray and/or texture
alwayswantmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Vinyl looks great but can be expensive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
This is my vinyl stripe. I got the idea from the 1970 mach 1.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1394542942038.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	150296  
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just tried to plati dip my deck lid. Didnt go so well. did 4 coats. waited 36 hours and just lightly sprayed down with water. ended up creating a peel spot and looked bad so i just peeled it off. Going tomorrow to vinyl guy to price getting it wrapped. Thats my limited experience 2 cents.

I have a thred going elsewhere about my Plasti dip woes. Everyone there said no problem with. do 6 or so coats and dont wash for 2 weeks.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #6

Region: Virginia
I wanted Lemans stripes on my car, but was scared to buy a kit online and mess it up trying to do it myself. I ended up finding a local guy who does wraps and vinyl for business vans and cars. Plain vinyl application was simple and easy for him, and he only charged about $200. It was quality 3M vinyl and it looks great! I would recommend going that route.
crbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrannan View Post
I wanted Lemans stripes on my car, but was scared to buy a kit online and mess it up trying to do it myself. I ended up finding a local guy who does wraps and vinyl for business vans and cars. Plain vinyl application was simple and easy for him, and he only charged about $200. It was quality 3M vinyl and it looks great! I would recommend going that route.
Headed to the vinyl guy for the price today. A little worried they won't be able to matte the tail lights because of all the concave spots. will post quote and things so others can know ahead of time. Also going to price a paint shop matte spraying the entire section I think.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The 3M vinyl is your best bet. It has a decent lifespan; about 8 years before it might give you fading effects.

The ultimate wout be a professional paint/clear coat, but then we're talking high bucks for this quality work.

I plan to have my Race Red's roof painted black; my son runs a body shop, and I can get a decent price on the work; about $400.00 to do it.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I second finding a local car Graffics Vinyl guy/gal, look at my garage pics they were done with a design I did on the rain wet car with my fingers showing the artist; and the artist took it further and made if great for me and what I wanted.

Plastic Dip didn't hold up on some 1911 grips I did for more than half a year, I would think by two years on a car, it would be pealing. Plisti Dip was designed to be easy to peal off. Great if you fark up, but not long lasting.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I used vinyl for my decklid and it looks great and lasts a lot longer than plasti dip would.
dakoteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yeah I'm definitely going to go with vinyl now. Rather spend the extra $$$ to have it done right the first time. Should look awesome when it's done.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
Headed to the vinyl guy for the price today. A little worried they won't be able to matte the tail lights because of all the concave spots. will post quote and things so others can know ahead of time. Also going to price a paint shop matte spraying the entire section I think.
By any chance did you happen to get a quote? I was looking to get the stripes I bought from American muscle installed.

giogonzalez101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Use vinyl, trust me. My car came with lots of plastidipped parts and I took it all off and switched it with vinyl. It looks A LOT cleaner!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by giogonzalez101 View Post
By any chance did you happen to get a quote? I was looking to get the stripes I bought from American muscle installed.

Well the plastidip peeled right off the decklid, faux cap stuck though. I went to the vinyl guys and they wouldnt quote. Said it would not work out well to wrap the intricate tail lights on the 2013. Said the could probably do the deck lid put with faux cap it wouldn't have a great look or long life.

Went to a paint shop and for $225 they will matte the deck lid black and clear coat matte spray it and the tail lights.

I am going to see a plastic guy today about an RTR style custom decklid with the Pony from my grille in the center similar to the need for speed mustang deck lid.

Ill let you know but at this point not sure whats up. Think I may get the RTR and add the Pony then paint it all flat black. If not I will do with the shiny deck lid then add the flat black Pony
Old 04-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

hey bro i suggest vinyl i work at a vinyl shop im very very against plastidipping ... i know how to do it and do it well i do it for rimms if ppl are very against powder coating ... vinyl lasts longer and looks way way smoother and more like paint then plasti dip .... plasti dip looks orange peely and when you feel it on your car it doesnt feel like paint vinyl on the other hand done right is looks like a very high quality paint job !!!!

this is my black car with a vinyl green stripe

this is my car full wrapped
dozer 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
how much would a wrap cost for a 13 stang

2013 mca 3.7: DIB
mods: sportline springs, bmr lca, steeda adj. uca, bmr panhard bar, lca relocation brackets, jlt cai, 91 mpt race tune, lethal o/r x-pipe, pypes m-80 resonators, pypes pipe-bombs.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

i do it personally for 1800 $
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer 13 View Post
i do it personally for 1800 $
Since you do it I have been trying to get opinions on Florida weather. Where do you do it at. I have had a place here tell me not to do interior vinyl because it will get screwed up in the heat down here. That sound accurate.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
both are cool ideas but have you considered hydro graphics???

i had some parts done.. basically anything the can be painted can be dipped

http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/index....e-pics-inside/
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

sorry for the late response but iver had my interrior wraped for a year and it looks as good as new bro i wouldnt worry about it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang