Question regarding exhaust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Question regarding exhaust?

So basically I am planning on buying BBK short headers, BBK catted X-Pipe, and borla s ab's but unfortunately the shops I called which are the ones with best reviews and recommendations don't install headers! =( would that exhaust system work good still with the stock headers or would it benefit me to just install the BBK headers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
That's odd I've never heard of a shop that refuses to install headers. But regarding your question either option would work. But since you can't find a shop to put on the headers for now just install the catted x-pipe and ABs, they will work fine with your stock headers. Since the stock exhaust is highly restrictive, any aftermarket parts you put on is gonna help with performance.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
So basically I am planning on buying BBK short headers, BBK catted X-Pipe, and borla s ab's but unfortunately the shops I called which are the ones with best reviews and recommendations don't install headers! =( would that exhaust system work good still with the stock headers or would it benefit me to just install the BBK headers?

Did they give you a reason why they won't install them? Would be good to know.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

One of the shops said due to modification that's need to be done. And the other shops just doesn't do them anymore lol. I also do have a friend who knows someone who might be able to install them but he lives about 2 hours away. I might just get the headers installed after if that's the case.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Most of the shops around here won't touch headers or cats other than to repair them because they don't want to become liable for any noise issues with the law. There must be some kind of law that they can't put something on that breaks the sound laws or something.. Just a guess though.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

^my friend was telling me something like that as well. Also as far as the mods does everyone keep their stock parts to pass smog?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I did not want to start another thread, I just have a quick question regarding the mid pipe. As of now I have had my mind set on the bbk catted xpipe but was wondering if it would be any different if i went with the off road xpipe? Obviously living in cali does not help if I were to get the off road's but if it's minimal differences why not save money? such a large gap as far as pricing between the two lol. I want a deep sound not no tin-can type of sound with little to no rasp.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I wouldn't go off-road x-pipe if your looking for little to no rasp, the new engines are raspy by nature and an x-pipe only amplifies that. At least the cats will dull the raspy sound a bit. I ended up going with an off-road h-pipe with resonators welded into the overaxle pipes

Sent from the future.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

besides the rasp, they would both be almost the same as far as the performance and sound?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
I wouldn't go off-road x-pipe if your looking for little to no rasp, the new engines are raspy by nature and an x-pipe only amplifies that. At least the cats will dull the raspy sound a bit. I ended up going with an off-road h-pipe with resonators welded into the overaxle pipes

Sent from the future.
I love my off road x pipe and its sound. Sweet music too my ears and way cheaper than the catted x pipe! Dance
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just trying to make space as far as money for a shifter haha so decided to ask. I won't be getting headers anymore too much hassle. And with the borla exhaust it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone have experience with the borla x pipes? Or have info if they would be better than the BBK x pipes?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Off topic -BUT- IMPORTANT

If everybody put where they live and information on their Mustangs on their Profile on this forum it would be a whole lot easier for someone to help them.
This OP can't find anyone to put headers on his car. If we knew where he lives I'm sure someone living close to him probably already knows a shop that would do the install. This Forum covers a whole lot of country & Canada and if people knew your information I'm sure more people would be helped.

Sorry for the interruption
Ronnie
From DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA U.S.A.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, Where you live bro?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I could have sworn I put my location, it probably didn't save. I'm located in San Francisco. I did end up finding a shop but it would be a hassle once smog time comes around.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
installing headers should not mess up your smog checks

I don't think you will have a problem if you leave the cats alone. The BBK Shorty headers bolt up easy right to your stock cats.
You can put the headers on your self if you have tools. It just takes time and if you do get them go to the Ford dealer and pick up new Genuine Ford gaskets.
I can tell you one thing for sure.
Quote:
I sure am glad i live in Florida and not California
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I don't think you will have a problem if you leave the cats alone. The BBK Shorty headers bolt up easy right to your stock cats.
You can put the headers on your self if you have tools. It just takes time and if you do get them go to the Ford dealer and pick up new Genuine Ford gaskets.
I can tell you one thing for sure.

Ronnie
Actually unless they are CARB approved they will not pass Visual in California, just like the Catted X-pipe or 90% of mufflers. The mufflers might say 50 state Emission legal but still not pass Visual in California because of straight through design
Siber Express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was told which sucks because I would love to have them! But so much hassle once smog comes. It will be easier with just X-Pipe and Ab.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Watch how loud you get it, California is bad about other than OEM Smog stuff.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

^Ca is bad for everything! Especially in the city so much bs, in general not even auto related lol.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Probably 1 of the reasons left 20 years ago.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Can anyone recommend me a good pair of resonators for the exhaust setup I'm doing? Off-road BBK x pipe, and the Borla S Ab's.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #23
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
Can anyone recommend me a good pair of resonators for the exhaust setup I'm doing? Off-road BBK x pipe, and the Borla S Ab's.

I went with the 22" Magnaflow Glasspacks for my Lethal off-road h-pipe and Pype Bomb axlebacks. Worked great to get rid of about 80% of the rasp. I only hear a small amount of rasp around 3500-4000 rpm now.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! Will look into them myself

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust