Magnaflow 'universal' muffler setup - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If you're into using a local muffler shop for some "custom" work, consider buying a set of GT mufflers (used) for your 3.7 V6. The axle back muffler hangers are identical between the GT's and 3.7 V6. The difference is in the tube diameter from the muffler to the pipe behind the axle. A muffler shop can cut the tubes off of your stock 3.7 V6 axle back mufflers (they are worthless anyhow; no one buys them), and can weld them onto any set of GT axle back performance mufflers.

So, if you can get a deal on a set of aftermarket axle back mufflers from a GT, consider buying them, and having your local muffler shop weld the 3.7 pipes from your doner 3.7 mufflers onto these. There is a large market of used 5.0 performance axleback mufflers for sale; if you can get a deal on a set of these, your muffler shop can modify the tubes so that they can work with your 3.7.

I did this with a set of GT500 axlebacks. They came off of a GT, got them for 200 bucks (used), and for an additional 80 bucks, my local muffler shop welded on my old 3.7 muffler tubes onto them and even installed them. Less than 300 bucks, and a nice sound with no drone or obnoxious tail pipe sound.
Thanks, cheers! I just saw a listing for a pair of both GT & GT500 axlebacks. I am wondering if there's any noticable different between the two when it comes to exhaust note on a V6?

Are your GT500s any 'louder' than stocks, or if they just sound comparatively deep?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and I forgot to add : do these gt500 muffler get loud/open up when you press the paddle, or if they're quite like stocks under WOT?
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Oh and I forgot to add : do these gt500 muffler get loud/open up when you press the paddle, or if they're quite like stocks under WOT?

They are the same roughly except the gt500. They have very little packing in them. In order of packing/volume, v6,GT,GT500.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Had the same exact setup done at a muffler shop. They gave me two magnaflow mufflers, tips, and a magnaflow x pipe plus labor all for 460$. The mufflers look like it's street series. The sound is a good deep sound. I've had them for about 4 months and want something louder now. Gonna try to get some roush AB
Sebas395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebas395 View Post
Had the same exact setup done at a muffler shop. They gave me two magnaflow mufflers, tips, and a magnaflow x pipe plus labor all for 460$. The mufflers look like it's street series. The sound is a good deep sound. I've had them for about 4 months and want something louder now. Gonna try to get some roush AB
Just installed some BBK shorties last night, can't wait to start it up today and see how the sound with my Roush AB! The magnaflow streets are just to tame IMO. There are some who detest Roush but IMO they sound absolutely fantastic on the 3.7 and sound like what a mustang should sound like.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #41
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Magnaflow universal is not Magnaflow street

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Mufflers For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

As you can see. The Universal Magnflow muffler is way different then a Street series made for a particular car engine. When you buy the Magnaflow streets axlebacks or cat backs they are designed for your car. Weather it is a 3.7 or 5.0 or a Camaro.
The universal's are designed to be good performance on any car you can squeeze them on.
They are straight through with packing and are probably really good for performance on any car you put them on without giving you a headache going down the highway at 70 mph.

The Part numbers for your particular car when getting axlebacks include a chambered Muffler designed for Your engine to give absolute best performance.
When you go to your local Muffler shop and they show you a Magnaflow Muffler. It likely will be a Universal and it is good but "NOT THE SAME" as a complete axleback or catback system.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Yes but they could save 500+ $$$ and keep the stockers on as they provide a nice deep rumble without giving anyone a headache on the highway also. Ford did a great job out of the gate with the stock exhaust set up.

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #43
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Stock Mufflers are nice and heavy.

Ford did do a good job on the stock mufflers? I'll be willing to bet that if you put on a set of Magnaflow streets, Ford Racing touring or Borla Touring axlebacks you would never go back to your stock Ford mufflers. You havea Shorty header on your Mustang so you would probably really enjoy the increased performance a less restrictive muffler set could offer you with a much better sound and still not so stupid loud you learn to hate it.
Ronnie
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Yes but they could save 500+ $$$ and keep the stockers on as they provide a nice deep rumble without giving anyone a headache on the highway also. Ford did a great job out of the gate with the stock exhaust set up.

There is a definite difference in sound between stock and Streets. Sure, the Streets are not super loud, but there is a difference in tone and volume so I wouldn't say skip them and keep the stock. I never thought the stock had a deep rumble. Just my opinion.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Ford did do a good job on the stock mufflers? I'll be willing to bet that if you put on a set of Magnaflow streets, Ford Racing touring or Borla Touring axlebacks you would never go back to your stock Ford mufflers. You havea Shorty header on your Mustang so you would probably really enjoy the increased performance a less restrictive muffler set could offer you with a much better sound and still not so stupid loud you learn to hate it.
Ronnie
Hey just saying, I've heard the streets on the 3.7 and the are a tiny bit more aggressive than the stock, IMO a total waste of of $$$. In fact the guy who owns them regrets buying them because they are so tame, and would have kept his stockers on but he bought them from a buddy for a good price that thought the same thing.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
There is a definite difference in sound between stock and Streets. Sure, the Streets are not super loud, but there is a difference in tone and volume so I wouldn't say skip them and keep the stock. I never thought the stock had a deep rumble. Just my opinion.
^^^^Agree 100%. The stock mufflers are way too tame. The Magnaflow Streets are perfect for me and I also don't want to piss off the neighbors early in the morning.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

My point being that for 500$ + there is not a great leap in sound or volume from the stocks to the streets. I have head them in person and not from you tube videos. There are many great exhaust set ups out there, Borla, flowsmaster, bassini, pypes ect ect that give a more unique sound and volume from the stocks than the streets. Just my 2¢. I understand that everyone has their own opinions on exhaust notes and volume/tones but I can absoulty understand why some people want more from the streets in terms of volume and tone.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey just saying, I've heard the streets on the 3.7 and the are a tiny bit more aggressive than the stock, IMO a total waste of of $$$. In fact the guy who owns them regrets buying them because they are so tame, and would have kept his stockers on but he bought them from a buddy for a good price that thought the same thing.

I wouldn't complain if the Streets were a little louder at idle and normal cruising, but it doesn't bother me to where I would remove them. I am still happy with them. I can hear the radio fine and talk on Sync without a problem. I'm glad I have a Premium and would hate to not be able to use some of the features because of my exhaust. I think some of what makes it sound tame is just the way the engine runs. It doesn't fire like a V8.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't complain if the Streets were a little louder at idle and normal cruising, but it doesn't bother me to where I would remove them. I am still happy with them. I can hear the radio fine and talk on Sync without a problem. I'm glad I have a Premium and would hate to not be able to use some of the features because of my exhaust. I think some of what makes it sound tame is just the way the engine runs. It doesn't fire like a V8.
+1 Right on the money when you say it doesn't fire like the V8! I couldn't have said it better. My wife's cousin has a 95 5.0 with magnaflows and it sounds god like. I only speak towards the 3.7s, again they don't sound terrible but just not nearly aggressive enough. My comparison to the stocks are because for me its just not enough of a difference to justify the cost. But they sure are shiny. Lol. This is just my 2¢.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #50
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Just better performance without all the noise

Magnaflow streets, Borla touring or Ford Racing Touring will give you way better performance then stock mufflers and sound good. If your looking for obnoxious stupid loud you would not want any of these. If you don't want to spend the money that is fine. I can understand that. I personally love my Magnaflow streets and the quality and great sound as well as performance they put out.
Ronnie

PS: Did you install your headers and did they fit right up? I'm thinking of getting them next as soon as I can get up the $$$$.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Magnaflow streets, Borla touring or Ford Racing Touring will give you way better performance then stock mufflers and sound good. If your looking for obnoxious stupid loud you would not want any of these. If you don't want to spend the money that is fine. I can understand that. I personally love my Magnaflow streets and the quality and great sound as well as performance they put out.
Ronnie

PS: Did you install your headers and did they fit right up? I'm thinking of getting them next as soon as I can get up the $$$$.
Just to be clear I'm mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone who buys any exhaust from stupid obnoxious loud to keeping the stocks on. I've taken some shots from my exhaust likings and find some to sometimes (myself included) to take personal opinion too seriously. We are all mustang owners and that's all that matters. : )

As for the headers it was a pretty long install, I had a buddy come over to help and it still took 5hrs and some sore hands. Lol the headers are bolted on and tightened but the xpipe needs to be tighten this afternoon after my sons hockey game. Fittment was good once we were able to drop the xpipe which was hard to do in my confined garage. I re used the OEM metal gaskets as some who have done the install suggested to do, I hope it was the right decision.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #52
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No problem here Fast Ford

I think we were just having a nice friendly discussion which is what we like to do on this Forum. If We all liked the same exact mods all of our Mustangs would look like Clones of each other.
I have learned a lot on this forum and I have had my opinion on some things changed by some information I did not know about.
Did you need any special tools to install the headers?
Ronnie
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Magnaflow 'universal' muffler setup

Quote:
Just to be clear I'm mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone who buys any exhaust from stupid obnoxious loud to keeping the stocks on. I've taken some shots from my exhaust likings and find some to sometimes (myself included) to take personal opinion too seriously. We are all mustang owners and that's all that matters. : )

If we all had the same opinions on everything, this forum would be useless. As long as we don't personally attack each other (which I don't think anyone did), it's all fine.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If we all had the same opinions on everything, this forum would be useless. As long as we don't personally attack each other (which I don't think anyone did), it's all fine.
+1

Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Agree! I've learned a lot from these forums by reading and researching the info everyone has contributed. I sat on the fence for a while before getting my mufflers. If I hadn't of received a small bonus at work, I probably would still have the stock mufflers still on. The $535 I spent on the Magnaflows is a lot in my opinion. In the end, it's what ever makes YOU happy and not others.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

GrabberMe Blue said

Quote:
If we all had the same opinions on everything, this forum would be useless. As long as we don't personally attack each other
I agree
Ronnie
Old 03-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think we were just having a nice friendly discussion which is what we like to do on this Forum. If We all liked the same exact mods all of our Mustangs would look like Clones of each other.
I have learned a lot on this forum and I have had my opinion on some things changed by some information I did not know about.
Did you need any special tools to install the headers?
Ronnie
A 1/2 rachet wrench with a pivoting head was critical in the install as there are some nuts that are not accessible once you get the shorties on the studs with a standard rachet. If you are going to do them yourself I suggest that once you get the shoties on the studs, start with the bottom studs closest to the collectors. Patience is a virtue as many curse words were used in this install lol. I can tell you my back, and hands are pretty sore today. They are doable in a confined area and with standard tools other than the ratchet wrench, BUT if you can find a garage that will do the install for a reasonable cost and doesn't dent your wallet I'd suggest going that route. It was not as easy as I thought it would have been.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1394980279705.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	150819  
Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #59
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They sure look great

I'll probably con my brother into helping me put them on when I ever get them. He has a five car large well lighted garage and millions of tools. He built his 32 Ford Street Rods so he should be able to do my headers with my help. ( Which ain't much)
Your sure do look great and I'm sure they give you more performance.
Ronnie
Old 03-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I'll probably con my brother into helping me put them on when I ever get them. He has a five car large well lighted garage and millions of tools. He built his 32 Ford Street Rods so he should be able to do my headers with my help. ( Which ain't much)
Your sure do look great and I'm sure they give you more performance.
Ronnie
Have you looked into the new mac shorties. American Muscle now has them and it looks like they are a true equal lenght header. I like the separate header tube connections at the heads.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #61
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

About the Mac's

I thought I read someplace that they don't just bolt up to your stock cats. I may be wrong or read wrong. I know you do need to run your steering rod through them. Maybe someone one our forum has installed them and can fill us in.

The only information from MAC is;>http://shop.macperformance.com/MAC-F...ders-21405.htm
Ronnie
Old 03-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I thought I read someplace that they don't just bolt up to your stock cats. I may be wrong or read wrong. I know you do need to run your steering rod through them. Maybe someone one our forum has installed them and can fill us in.

The only information from MAC is;>MAC Ford Mustang V6 3.7L 2011, 2012, 2013 Ceramac Short Tube Headers
Ronnie
The long tube macs are the one's with the steering shaft issue. The shorties clear and bolt to the factory midpipe.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #63
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thanks

I want the short tubes.
Ronnie
Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #64
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Thanks, cheers! I just saw a listing for a pair of both GT & GT500 axlebacks. I am wondering if there's any noticable different between the two when it comes to exhaust note on a V6?

Are your GT500s any 'louder' than stocks, or if they just sound comparatively deep?
Louder than stock during idle (nice rumble), quiet during cruise speeds (no drone), and yes, a nice note when you goose it.

It would be best to attend a show or two and get a first hand "hearing" of the exhaust notes, then decide which one suits your taste.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Unless American Muscle is also wrong, they are chambered. All you have to do is look in the tailpipe. And how can it be straight-through when the inlet and outlet pipes are offset?

Magnaflow Street Mustang Axleback Exhaust 15595 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping
They can still be strait through if you look at the Dynomax ultra-flo mufflers in their cat back kit, they are also strait through but they are off set its just a strait pipe running diagonally across the inside of the muffler housing with baffles and other perforations cut into the tube itself, with packing surrounding it. Still a strait through design. Unlike a baffled walled or chambered housing forcing air around to tune the sound.

My setup has no mufflers but 4 resonators with pypes bomb axle backs, very deep sound, super aggressive WOT, and nearly no drone (below 75mpg) 75 to 80 ish a small amount but its not bad at all certainly not Roush, or Mag Comps drone.
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang