Magnaflow 'universal' muffler setup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Magnaflow 'universal' muffler setup

So I went to a local exhaust shop to get a custom H pipe made. He said it would get pretty expensive to do a set up like that- its quite labor intensive (picture attached- saw it in one of the threads here in on our forum).

He said since my main goal is to get a deeper and 'just a bit' louder than stock exhaust note, I should go with magnaflow mufflers (universal series - link attached) he showed me in his shop. He qoutoed me 240 for the pair, 140 for tips and rest labor/welding for a total of $450.

Now if I get parts myself (170 for a pair of these mufflers, 30-50 for tips off ebay), I can have the same custom setup for just under 275 including labor.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these universal mufflers? - like if they sound mellow/deep, or if they're are 'loud/boomy' like those fart cannons on 4 cylinder imports?

Why am I not going with magna flow streets? Money lol I am on a student budget, so plan is it have minimal expenses. And since exhausts are something you can't really ask a refund for if you don't like their sound, I just don't wanna be screwed. I have tried their competition series, they were god awful with their drone and obnoxiously loud exhaust note.

My other option at the moment is to get a Pro chamber for $310.. just wanting to get some opinion on this custom setup before I pull a plug on the former.

Cheers

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and here's the picture. Sorry bro i jacked it from your post - AJCruz I think?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1394501831862.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	150283  
Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I did get my Magnaflow Streets (15595) off eBay last year, $450 brand new and shipped. These were not a returned item. I installed them myself, about an hour tops. You don't need to spend $600 plus. The seller I found gave me a huge discount for them because I found them cheaper on someone else's website but told them I would rather deal through an eBay seller. They just matched the price and included shipping.

Hard to speak of the ones the shop showed you. They are a chambered muffler so they may sound similar, but with Streets you know what you are going to get, and the tips are already welded on. With the universal one, you are taking a chance on sound.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I bought my Magnaflow Street (#15595) axlebacks off of Amazon for $535 shipped. They are a perfect fit and sound great!
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
For what your asking *************

Save a little more and get the Magnaflow streets. I'm sure you will be more then happy with the quality sound, The and look of them. With your 2014 V6 they may not just bolt on but some others on this forum with 2013 and up have bought them and installed them without having to buy the full cat backs set.
Anybody that put them on a 2013 up should let the OP know what is needed to do to get them to fit.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Save a little more and get the Magnaflow streets. I'm sure you will be more then happy with the quality sound, The and look of them. With your 2014 V6 they may not just bolt on but some others on this forum with 2013 and up have bought them and installed them without having to buy the full cat backs set.
Anybody that put them on a 2013 up should let the OP know what is needed to do to get them to fit.
Ronnie
I have a 2014 and the #15595 streets fit perfectly with no modification needed. You do not need the cat-back set. I'll try to post a picture, but in the past when I've tried to post pictures, the forum said that it would have to be approved and have NEVER shown up.

Name:	Magnaflow3.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	150307

Name:	Magnaflow4.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	745.4 KB
ID:	150308
Old 03-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Cheapest I could find is:::::

Autozone:
Coupon>>>Magnaflow 15595 Exhaust Muffler Kit | Frugal Mechanic

If you have a store near you, You can pick them up. Or they offer free shipping.
Ronnie
Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Autozone:
Coupon>>>Magnaflow 15595 Exhaust Muffler Kit | Frugal Mechanic

If you have a store near you, You can pick them up. Or they offer free shipping.
Ronnie
Cheers thanks for the help Ronnie! I checked this website, they're all $700+. AM is selling em for $665. While reading other exhaust threads, one of our forum members had suggested 'aero chamber' mufflers. I saw em for $73 each on summit racing (21504HKR), spoke to their customer service rep and asked him specifically if they're going to sound like magnaflow streets or louder.

He said 'since these are chambered, they will be slightly deeper than stock but not as loud as magnaflows'. I know the more options I come across, the more confused my mind is gonna be lol. Have you or anybody else have any opinions on these guys? Lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2014 View Post
I have a 2014 and the #15595 streets fit perfectly with no modification needed. You do not need the cat-back set. I'll try to post a picture, but in the past when I've tried to post pictures, the forum said that it would have to be approved and have NEVER shown up.
Attachment 150307

Attachment 150308
Thanks for the info bro

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have generic flowmaster 40's. Sound the exact same as the name brand. Just not black. I got mine done for $250. I had tips and knew the guy very well
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You may have a problem living in Canada

American Muscle will ship USA for free. Also no Tax unless you ship to Pa. Any other state OK. $660.00 less the AM Discount would be around $620. That is if you knew someone in the States to send them to.
I think I paid around $500.00 in 2011 when I bought my car. It was the best money I ever spent because I sure love my streets.
Ronnie
Old 03-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I have generic flowmaster 40's. Sound the exact same as the name brand. Just not black. I got mine done for $250. I had tips and knew the guy very well
Aye that's what it'd cost me pretty much if I go with custom setup. My only concern are those bent pipes that connects the muffler to the main exhaust line from h pipe. I still have to talk to the shop guy if I ended up going this route.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
American Muscle will ship USA for free. Also no Tax unless you ship to Pa. Any other state OK. $660.00 less the AM Discount would be around $620. That is if you knew someone in the States to send them to.
I think I paid around $500.00 in 2011 when I bought my car. It was the best money I ever spent because I sure love my streets.
Ronnie
Thanks for the info Ronnie, I don't doubt these streets sound awesome! I will surely look into it

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Aye that's what it'd cost me pretty much if I go with custom setup. My only concern are those bent pipes that connects the muffler to the main exhaust line from h pipe. I still have to talk to the shop guy if I ended up going this route.

|| BlackOnBlack ||

Mine are connected on the cup part and welded there. So if I need to, I can cut them off and have a normal pipe again.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Umm you took those connector pipes off stock exhaust and welded em onto your flow masters?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Umm you took those connector pipes off stock exhaust and welded em onto your flow masters?

|| BlackOnBlack ||

Here is what my setup looks like. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1394684291.668020.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	150503Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1394684302.666371.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	643.1 KB
ID:	150504Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1394684313.785376.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	709.0 KB
ID:	150505
Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here is what my setup looks like. Attachment 150503Attachment 150504Attachment 150505
I was wondering about the tube/pipe in your second picture - the bent one that is coming off from the muffler. I don't think the universal mufflers come with those. Did your exhaust guy made you one, or if you took it from your stock mufflers?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
The only problem with do this is not knowing the exact tone your going to get. atleast going with the packages you can youtube the sound.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was wondering about the tube/pipe in your second picture - the bent one that is coming off from the muffler. I don't think the universal mufflers come with those. Did your exhaust guy made you one, or if you took it from your stock mufflers?

|| BlackOnBlack ||

He made me one. Very simple to make. You can take it off your stocks but I like to keep everything stock so if need be, I can return it or if needed for a wreck.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangstandard View Post
The only problem with do this is not knowing the exact tone your going to get. atleast going with the packages you can youtube the sound.

That is very true. But if you just research the general mufflers and what you want, a good muffler guy will hook you up. I told him, delete my resonators, I want a true tone again. I love the roush sound, loud but it is too raspy and I like to hear the idle and at low rpm. So he recommends flowmaster. Now usually, I'm against it because of the force 2 and they sound like dump alone. I ask why not magnaflow, since the street sounds nice. He goes to explain that magnaflow is straight through design. Very similar to roush except roush has no packing. So He welds up a 2 chamber muffler flowmaster 40. It's loud, gets louder through the rpm, yet it's deeper than roush. Drone is less than roush. And at WOT, actually has a tone. Harsh.... But it's sounds like bloody murder

The reason this is so cheap too is you're paying for driveway convenience so you don't have to take it to a shop.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is very true. But if you just research the general mufflers and what you want, a good muffler guy will hook you up. I told him, delete my resonators, I want a true tone again. I love the roush sound, loud but it is too raspy and I like to hear the idle and at low rpm. So he recommends flowmaster. Now usually, I'm against it because of the force 2 and they sound like dump alone. I ask why not magnaflow, since the street sounds nice. He goes to explain that magnaflow is straight through design. Very similar to roush except roush has no packing. So He welds up a 2 chamber muffler flowmaster 40. It's loud, gets louder through the rpm, yet it's deeper than roush. Drone is less than roush. And at WOT, actually has a tone. Harsh.... But it's sounds like bloody murder

The reason this is so cheap too is you're paying for driveway convenience so you don't have to take it to a shop.

He was half right / half wrong. Magnaflow Comps are straight through, Streets are chambered. Sounds like he is not really familiar with what Magnaflow has available for our cars.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
He was half right / half wrong. Magnaflow Comps are straight through, Streets are chambered. Sounds like he is not really familiar with what Magnaflow has available for our cars.
I second that. I had magna competitions, hated em right after started my car! But I was like let's give them a try, I might just be over reacting. Good lord they were horrible, the drone was insane (from about 1700-3000 rpm range) and they actually made my v6 sound like a Honda civic with giant mufflers (aka fart cannons). I was literally on an Advil before going to bed (not sarcasm.. For real) cuz of the drone, and no wonder my ex didn't want to sit in my car lol

Ditched em after 4 days.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The Streets are 100% better

The Comps are just straight through non-mufflers with tips.
The Streets are more like real mufflers and are 99% quieter with a nice deep sound and no drone or vibrations at all.Mine have just enough sound when I'm driving to please my pretty ears. They do come alive when I floor it though and sound way to good.The Streets are the way to go unless you like a whole lot of obnoxious noise, Vibrations and drone.
Borla makes touring and Ford Racing make touring that probably sound nice like the Magnaflow streets.
Ronnie
Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He had a muffler shop with the same part number for the streets minus the piping and it was a straight through design with a ton of packing. This is even what magnaflow says they mainly do is straight through designs.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

What ?????

I have Magnaflow Streets on my Mustang 3.7 V6 and they sure ain't straight through. If I have to bet on it I'll say they have baffles and maybe some sort of packing.
Anybody that says these are loud and drone are either stupid or can hear a lot better then everybody else. Of course they are louder then the stock Ford mufflers but they are a nice deep rumble and you gotta listen to hear them going down the highway. They do scream when under full throttle but your not always doing that.
The Streets come with the pipes and tips already welded on so all you gotta do is remove the stock mufflers and put on the Magnaflows. So easy a stupid CAVEMAN can put them on.

I bought mine in 2011 to fit my 2012 and the box is marked 2011 but it is because they did not change the label yet. They went right on and notice that the pipes and tips are already welded onto the mufflers. Whatever that shop was pushing sure was not the correct part from Magnaflow.
Ronnie
Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He had a muffler shop with the same part number for the streets minus the piping and it was a straight through design with a ton of packing. This is even what magnaflow says they mainly do is straight through designs.

Unless American Muscle is also wrong, they are chambered. All you have to do is look in the tailpipe. And how can it be straight-through when the inlet and outlet pipes are offset?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaf...ck-2011v6.html
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I can hear a very slight amount of drone at certain rpms, but it's not bad at all. I like the way they sound.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:45 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

If you're into using a local muffler shop for some "custom" work, consider buying a set of GT mufflers (used) for your 3.7 V6. The axle back muffler hangers are identical between the GT's and 3.7 V6. The difference is in the tube diameter from the muffler to the pipe behind the axle. A muffler shop can cut the tubes off of your stock 3.7 V6 axle back mufflers (they are worthless anyhow; no one buys them), and can weld them onto any set of GT axle back performance mufflers.

So, if you can get a deal on a set of aftermarket axle back mufflers from a GT, consider buying them, and having your local muffler shop weld the 3.7 pipes from your doner 3.7 mufflers onto these. There is a large market of used 5.0 performance axleback mufflers for sale; if you can get a deal on a set of these, your muffler shop can modify the tubes so that they can work with your 3.7.

I did this with a set of GT500 axlebacks. They came off of a GT, got them for 200 bucks (used), and for an additional 80 bucks, my local muffler shop welded on my old 3.7 muffler tubes onto them and even installed them. Less than 300 bucks, and a nice sound with no drone or obnoxious tail pipe sound.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Unless American Muscle is also wrong, they are chambered. All you have to do is look in the tailpipe. And how can it be straight-through when the inlet and outlet pipes are offset?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaf...ck-2011v6.html

Saw a set at the Daytona rod run. Is just has a curve in the straight pipe. I'll search google to help aid you in the visualization. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1394806480.055269.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	150609 notice the bend. It does exist man
Old 03-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I understand I'm not familiar with all this apparently, but I know a lot of stuff about these cars. I'm the person to avoid all that convenient cost y'all pay and do the same thing for way less. Your wallet. So do as you please. I enjoy my loud flowmasters. Sounds better than magnaflow and borla in my opinion. Especially once I add shorties. Those systems are nice but I got the same sound as half the other muffler brands with far less money. Granted I've spent $1000 collectively on 3 sets of mufflers, I know what'll sound good and what won't. On top of this statement, everyone's ears are different.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Saw a set at the Daytona rod run. Is just has a curve in the straight pipe. I'll search google to help aid you in the visualization. Attachment 150609 notice the bend. It does exist man

Hmmmm...I just went out and shined a bright light in my tailpipe and although I see it curving towards the opposite side, at no angle can I see the exit side like in your picture no matter how I look. Maybe Dan from AM can chime in. Are these mufflers chambered like the website says or not? Also, not sure why the one in the picture looks different than mine. Is that a 15595 muffler? That's the actual part number for the Streets.

That pipe in the picture looks like it's slightly offset from the center. Mine are way over on opposite sides, like the pictures of the Streets posted earlier.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

That is """NOT"" a Magnaflow "STREET"

It may be some sort of Magnaflow muffler but it sure as hell ain't a part # 15595 Magnaflow street muffler.
If you look at a picture of the Magnaflow comps they are just a pipe with a tip. Now they are straight through and loud and obnoxious.

Whitelightning say's>
Quote:
I've spent $1000 collectively on 3 sets of mufflers, I know what'll sound good and what won't. On top of this statement, everyone's ears are different.
He could have saved $500.00 or more of that $$$$ by just buying a set of Streets in the first place. Plus they don't need resonators to calm them down.
Ronnie
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It may be some sort of Magnaflow muffler but it sure as hell ain't a part # 15595 Magnaflow street muffler.

If you look at a picture of the Magnaflow comps they are just a pipe with a tip. Now they are straight through and loud and obnoxious.

Whitelightning say's>

He could have saved $500.00 or more of that $$$$ by just buying a set of Streets in the first place. Plus they don't need resonators to calm them down.

Ronnie

Trust me, been there. Done that. I liked the streets. But I wanted some more volume. Like 3-4k volume. Except at 2k rpm. This was a random picture I found on Google explaining what I saw. Couldn't find an exact picture of the muffler. Must have deleted it to update my phone. Anyways, I may be right, may be wrong, but according to my trusted muffler man, it was gonna rasp. And he saved me about $50 for the pair. I was also at fear for when I did a full exhaust, it wouldn't be louder. All so have left is some shorty headers
Old 03-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Trust me, been there. Done that. I liked the streets. But I wanted some more volume. Like 3-4k volume. Except at 2k rpm. This was a random picture I found on Google explaining what I saw. Couldn't find an exact picture of the muffler. Must have deleted it to update my phone. Anyways, I may be right, may be wrong, but according to my trusted muffler man, it was gonna rasp. And he saved me about $50 for the pair. I was also at fear for when I did a full exhaust, it wouldn't be louder. All so have left is some shorty headers
Are you flow master force 2 on your ride now White? I'm like you and need volume to my exhaust note, the streets are way to mellow for my taste.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Are you flow master force 2 on your ride now White? I'm like you and need volume to my exhaust note, the streets are way to mellow for my taste.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.

Custom flowmaster 40's Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1394883766.889767.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	709.0 KB
ID:	150697Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1394883781.510361.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	150698

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang