Airaid installation tips - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
Airaid installation tips

Hey everyone! I've had my '13 V6 for a little over a year and a half. I did some appearance things pretty quickly (billet grille and stripes), and I am finally starting to dabble in performance mods. Just ordered my Airaid CAI the other day and will install this weekend. Just looking for any tips from those who have done it!

Thanks!
crbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
What I did

First thing is disconnect the battery (Important)

Remove the stock air box.
Put the airaid coupler on the throttle body and "NOT" the air tube.
Install the airaid air box
install the air tube ( It will go on)
Put a little dish washing soap on the grommet to let it go on easier. ( Just a little)
Hook everything back up and your done.
Ronnie
PS: The main reason to disconnect the battery is for the engine will take in more air so the CPU can compensate for the better air flow.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
First thing is disconnect the battery (Important)

[/COLOR][/I][/B]
PS: The main reason to disconnect the battery is for the engine will take in more air so the CPU can compensate for the better air flow.
Could someone explain a little more about this? I didn't disconnect my battery when I made my installation. I didn't know it had something to do with performance.

What effect did my lack of disconnecting the battery have on my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Thanks, Ronnie!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
CR, after you open up the OEM filter you will see a snorkel tube in the bottom 1/2 of the box...place a rag in this when you work on it, if you drop a screw/tool it will go down this opening causing you to say bad words.

Ted, your car will never be the same, you might as well sell it now.....seriously you'll be fine but if if it's idleing a bit funny look up "idle re-learn procedure" it's in your owners manual it's recomended after work of this type.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

Haha, I definitely don't want to say any bad words! Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

OK, here's what I just finished.......

Re-installed the stock tune.
Ran the car for 10 minutes.
Disconnected the battery for 15 minutes.
Re-connected the battery.
Re-installed my race tune.

Everything seems to work. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrannan View Post
Hey everyone! I've had my '13 V6 for a little over a year and a half. I did some appearance things pretty quickly (billet grille and stripes), and I am finally starting to dabble in performance mods. Just ordered my Airaid CAI the other day and will install this weekend. Just looking for any tips from those who have done it!

Thanks!
crbrannan,

Great choice going with the Airaid CAI. They're certainly one of the best CAI's on the market today. I think you'll be very happy with the results all said and done!

Here's a full installation guide with pictures to make things really easy for you. Check out this link and you'll find the install isn't too bad at all.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any additional questions or concerns though!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Happy to hear that Ted.

The Airaid instructions tell you the first thing to do is disconnect the negative battery terminal. They really don't tell you "WHY". I learned on this forum "WHY" so that is what I did when I put mine on.
Ronnie
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
General rule is to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery whenever you may be touching anything electrical, like disconnecting the MAF for the CAI. This is something I've always done.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Couple other pointers. 1) keep all the fittings loose until everything is hooked up and in place. The Airaid is a tight fit. 2) on my 13' the airaid heat shield rubs against the wheel well hump and it will wear to the metal. Put a thin piece of rubber, foam, etc there to protect against possible future wear and rust. Good luck and enjoy!
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Ted, miscommunication was involved.

Idle relearn may be needed after changes to the car..ie intake, exhaust, tune. Don't change tunes do an idle relearn then change tunes again. Whatever was learned by the relearn was lost by the new tune. I hope not to scare you but each time you reload a tune there is a slight chance of your car getting what is called "bricked" realise it's a computer and with a gazzilion lines of code there is always the posibility of one getting corrupted and it making it angry. Slight chance but it is possible. I would only retune if I wanted to or I was going to the dealer (if they update what they think is your factory tune bad stuff can happen). The other hint I've been told is while you are updating your tune to have ALL electrical stuff off and to even avoid opening and closing doors. I've even been told it's a good idea to have a battery charger on low when installing tunes to help avoid voltage flucuations.

Dawg is correct in it's a good idea to disconnect the battery when doing any replacement of electrical items. It normally does not matter but it is simple enough to do.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Could someone explain a little more about this? I didn't disconnect my battery when I made my installation. I didn't know it had something to do with performance.

What effect did my lack of disconnecting the battery have on my car?
In some cases (rare), a CAI can cause the idle to increase, due to the possibility of increased air into the intake. I say possibility, as most CAI's do not flow any better than the stock arrangement, so installing a CAI for looks, or for sound (you will enjoy the "roar" a CAI provides, as the stock air box tube has a "muffler" built on it's side that eliminates this sound) is why most go this route of installing a CAI over keeping the stock setup.

So, disconnecting the battery and re-installing it after a few minutes will "reset" the ECU/PCM and force it to relearn. No harm or foul if you did not do this initially, as by now your ECU/PCM has relearned on its own.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Ted, miscommunication was involved.

Idle relearn may be needed after changes to the car..ie intake, exhaust, tune. Don't change tunes do an idle relearn then change tunes again. Whatever was learned by the relearn was lost by the new tune. I hope not to scare you but each time you reload a tune there is a slight chance of your car getting what is called "bricked" realise it's a computer and with a gazzilion lines of code there is always the posibility of one getting corrupted and it making it angry. Slight chance but it is possible. I would only retune if I wanted to or I was going to the dealer (if they update what they think is your factory tune bad stuff can happen). The other hint I've been told is while you are updating your tune to have ALL electrical stuff off and to even avoid opening and closing doors. I've even been told it's a good idea to have a battery charger on low when installing tunes to help avoid voltage flucuations.

Dawg is correct in it's a good idea to disconnect the battery when doing any replacement of electrical items. It normally does not matter but it is simple enough to do.
Good info...another reason why most recommend you go back to the stock tune first, before installing another tune.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
In some cases (rare), a CAI can cause the idle to increase, due to the possibility of increased air into the intake. I say possibility, as most CAI's do not flow any better than the stock arrangement, so installing a CAI for looks, or for sound (you will enjoy the "roar" a CAI provides, as the stock air box tube has a "muffler" built on it's side that eliminates this sound) is why most go this route of installing a CAI over keeping the stock setup.

So, disconnecting the battery and re-installing it after a few minutes will "reset" the ECU/PCM and force it to relearn. No harm or foul if you did not do this initially, as by now your ECU/PCM has relearned on its own.
helpful
GlobalMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Bro you jus described the strange problem that's going on with my 2013 mustang. First of all, I F**ked up by not disconnecting my battery when I installed an airaid intake and bbk 73mm throttle body. When I come to a red light, my idle fluctuates under 1000rpm, until finally, it sets itself right under 1000rpm, I'm assuming 900rpm. I did the relearning idling process this Monday that passed and I've been driving it like that with fluctuating rpm's. What should I do? Should I keep driving it till it learns it or no? Also, I recently purchased a SCT tuner. I'm hoping it helps with the idling and reprogramming.
bryan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Byran,

I'm gonna guess it's using a larger diameter TB w/o a tune that is your problem.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Byran,

I'm gonna guess it's using a larger diameter TB w/o a tune that is your problem.

That's exactly what's going on.
The SCT tuner is coming in today. That should do it right?
bryan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

it should.....good luck. I suggest you read my above post about tuning hints just in case.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #20

Got the Airaid installed last night without too much trouble. The sound under heavy throttle is pretty excellent. I'm definitely a fan!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good to hear

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang