CAI without tuner.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

CAI without tuner..

Just bought an Airaid CAI and Borla ATAK axlebacks from AM just waiting on them. Will installing the CAI without the tuner be okay or not recommended?
rnaltamirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaltamirano View Post
Just bought an Airaid CAI and Borla ATAK axlebacks from AM just waiting on them. Will installing the CAI without the tuner be okay or not recommended?
I have an Airaid CAI and Borla S-type axlebacks with stock tune, no issues. Although I did install them separately. Just remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal before you install the CAI cause you'll need to disconnect the MAF from the stock intake.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
I have an Airaid CAI and Borla S-type axlebacks with stock tune, no issues. Although I did install them separately. Just remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal before you install the CAI cause you'll need to disconnect the MAF from the stock intake.
isnt there a airaid intake that says you have to get a tune or engine damage may occur? I always wondered if that was true.
Steeda CAI, Borla axle back & BBK X pipe
And Jon (Godfather tuner) Lund tune
knight5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5.0 View Post
isnt there a airaid intake that says you have to get a tune or engine damage may occur? I always wondered if that was true.
From my research before I bought my Airaid CAI; the only CAI I know of that actually requires a tune is by Steeda.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have the old style steeda intake. And I can return to stock and it seems to run fine. But I know it's not recommended

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steeda CAI, Borla axle back & BBK X pipe
And Jon (Godfather tuner) Lund tune
knight5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #6

I was hesitant but I was looking for someone who actually has one installed w/out one and their actual experience. Thanks guys!
rnaltamirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I'm running an Airraid CAI with no tune ( as the website says a tune is optional) and it runs fine. It's a purchase you won't regret! Those rpms sound devilish above 3k
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Region: Canada
No tune required. The only one I know of that needs a tune is the Steeda CAI. Steeda has the most airflow and causes the car to run on the lean side. Hope this helps.
ryster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Airaid w/o tune here. I scored it used just for the sound and was worth it. as mentioned disconnect the battery look in the manual and do an idle re-learn. I also tell people when working on it place a rag in the lower air box where the snorkle is to prevent things from dissapearing when you drop them. Enjoy.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
hard learning
GlobalMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yes, you can install the Airaid CAI without a tune.

This intake was designed to not require custom tuning and runs perfectly on the original engine calibration. For even more performance, you can combine this intake with SCT custom tuning where gains of up to 25 horsepower and over 30 foot/lbs of torque can be achieved!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai