$800 Shopping List - 2014 V6 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Diablosport tuner and a ported lower intake manifold. Fix the "real" restriction. Louder is neither quicker or faster.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Steeda CAI & Tune!

Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3159 - Free Shipping!

Great power adder - Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque!

Let me know if I can help!

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Steeda CAI & Tune!

Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3159 - Free Shipping!

Great power adder - Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque!

Let me know if I can help!

Best Regards,

TJ
I will check it out, thanks! I hadn't looked into a CAI that REQUIRED a tune yet.
JRockDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
As you can see, I have a Steeda CAI. I had a JLT before that and I bar far think Steeda has the best thing smoking. When I bought my combo I did A Tuner/JLT CAI first. For the mods I do have, if I were to do it all over again, I would do a Tuner/Gears combo first. Then I would fish for a use CAI online like a Steeda. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps in your decision. Again, this is only my opinion
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1394832038.156626.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	688.6 KB
ID:	150635
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This answer placed a smile on my face...thanks!

To the OP, think of the engine as a large air pump, to get more air out, you have to get more air in. The order in which you do it does not matter, as long as both get addressed.

Most go with the exhaust first (more air out), as it provides the sweet sound they like, and most friends get to hear that mod first. Then you can go with getting more air in, which in my opinion, should be a CAI and tune combo. A CAI by itself does nothing that the stock airbox setup already can do. Ford did their homework with the 3.7. It's airbox flows very good on its own. However, with a tuner/tune, an improvement in performance is really seen, and felt. The CAI improves the look and sound, so many like this mod for those reasons.

In my opinion, this order works for 95% of the time:

1) Exhaust
2) Tuner/tune
3) If you have to have it, CAI (If #2 and #3 are in the purchase works, get a "combo" kit).
The combo deals out there are a great value. It is hard to pass them up considering a tune is a must at some point.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Borla s types (best non raspy exhaust) or tune and intake (steeda tune required)
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #41
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
AM is hit or miss. I bought two spoilers from them and neither of them matched my paint (different tint) and it had orange peel...
I have also bought two spoilers from AM (GT/CS and a GT500) and both had flawless paint that matched each of my cars perfectly. If you have the stock lip spoiler and are going for a GT500, no drilling is required. The hole patterns are the same.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I have also bought two spoilers from AM (GT/CS and a GT500) and both had flawless paint that matched each of my cars perfectly. If you have the stock lip spoiler and are going for a GT500, no drilling is required. The hole patterns are the same.

I Bought the Kali/Boss 4 pedestal spoiler ready to paint, because my ride is Grabber Blue and flat black contrasts, I didn't want it in the Ford Gloss black. The Ford body shop found BWM flat black matched my flat black stripes, painted it and install was $75.

Now my big problem is that gloss black bottom deck lid that holds the Fax Gas Cap on 2013-14s. It picks up all the road dust and every finger print needs almost rubbed out to get shiny again. Looking to get it painted Flat black this spring as well.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
Good to hear a positive case. All the reviews at AM seem to imply good quality products and even better service.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

OK, so i finally got to work, spending some money too! AutoAnything had the BBK Shorty headers on sale, $240. I debated which exhaust to get for a while and decided to take a chance on the Roush Axlebacks ($440). Also, I caught the SR Lowering springs on sale from AM for $145. There went my ~ $800!

The headers and axlebacks make an amazing combination (I installed both in a few hours). Volume and tone are both perfect (in my mind), and are about the closest to the expensive Borlas that you can get.

The springs have not been installed yet, because I blew a rear shock out on these Michigan potholes and it is scheduled for warrantee service next week.

I plan to get the Steeda CAI and tune in the next few months.

In the meantime, I splurged and grabbed the 20x8.5 Charcoal AMRs from AM. My local Discount Tire is putting 255 35 20 Nitto 555 tires on in a couple days. There are a couple pics below of my projects. Thanks for the input everyone!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0514.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	154825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0515.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	775.1 KB
ID:	154826  

Name:	IMAG0516.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	154827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0517.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	787.7 KB
ID:	154828  

Name:	IMAG0519.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	154829  
Old 04-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
Borla s types (best non raspy exhaust) or tune and intake (steeda tune required)
I agree that the Borlas sound the best by far. I ended up going with the Roush Axlebacks and BBK headers for a value/performance combination.

I threw the axlebacks on in about 40 minutes and drove around... very raspy. The volume was good, but it kinda sounded like my previous car - 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer 4 cylinder. Drove home and took 4 hours to get the headers on. The exhaust note completely changed. Much deeper and it now growls like the Borlas do.

A buddy of mine who is a diehard 5.0 guy, asked me if they were the borlas before I told him they were Roush. I laughed and thought of your post (and is why I am taking the time to reply!) Thanks for the input, ultimately I took a chance and am happy with the setup.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #46
Registered Member

Regular

So how difficult is the install on the headers? Based on what I see in the engine compartment it looks like it wouldn't be to bad.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
So how difficult is the install on the headers? Based on what I see in the engine compartment it looks like it wouldn't be to bad.
There were no major issues with the install. Granted I have a large air compressor and impact guns which was a plus. It was tediousthough. The aftermarket headers each have 3 of 6 nuts that cannot be reached with a socket, and must be tightened with a wrench. There will be a ton of short turns with the wrench.

There is a ton of room and are no clearance issues dropping in the headers from above. I had initially thought all headers went in from below - I was wrong.

So... The mid pipe connects to the headers with a 15mm nut. You will need a deep well socket, a ~18" extension, a universal/wobble adapter, and an impact gun (ideally) to remove/install these easily. I had to run to Harbor Freight cause I didn't have metric deep well sockets.

Get all 6 nuts started loosely when installing the new headers, or there will not be room to get them in, there is very little clearance. When wrenching down the bottom header bolts, it is easier to reach a couple from under the car than from the top.

All together. Took me just over 4 hours.

Needed:
- Deep well sockets 15/17mm
- ~18" Extension
- 1/2 Wrench Preferably ratcheting version
- Ramps/Chocks
- Other standard tools: vicegrips if the studs come out, etc
Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Awesome guy. Next time you see a crazy deal, please share with your other eagerly ready to spend brethren
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Awesome guy. Next time you see a crazy deal, please share with your other eagerly ready to spend brethren
You can still get the headers from AutoAnything for $242 shipped. They always have a 15% off coupon code you can grab from Retailmenot.com Right now it is "TRUCK15"

They also have the new SCT X4 tuner, and with the coupon code brings it to $340.

The springs I got lucky on, AM only had them at 159.99 (plus our 6% discount) for a couple days. Now they are back at 179.99.

Roush Axlebacks are the same price now at AM.

Everything is still available at those prices except the springs. Oh and if you're near a Discount Tire, they had the Nitto 555 tires installed with TPMS rebuild for $620. I was fortunate to save an additional 5% as they gave me a military discount.

I figure that I cannot afford all of my mods at once, so I will just snatch them up as deals arise.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRockDetroit View Post
I agree that the Borlas sound the best by far. I ended up going with the Roush Axlebacks and BBK headers for a value/performance combination.

I threw the axlebacks on in about 40 minutes and drove around... very raspy. The volume was good, but it kinda sounded like my previous car - 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer 4 cylinder. Drove home and took 4 hours to get the headers on. The exhaust note completely changed. Much deeper and it now growls like the Borlas do.

A buddy of mine who is a diehard 5.0 guy, asked me if they were the borlas before I told him they were Roush. I laughed and thought of your post (and is why I am taking the time to reply!) Thanks for the input, ultimately I took a chance and am happy with the setup.
Same exhaust set up here also. The headers toned the Roush down a little bit, but sound great!

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Gears and tune

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Then, unless you plan to gut your whole exhaust system shorty headers is a great direct bolt on that will give you more low end.

You will get mix reviews on the BBK shorty tune length headers, but I guarantee you will be smiling from ear to ear
What gains did tou feel? Are you pretty happy..im thinking of getting them.. I have tune cai and 3:73 gears

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

This is what I did
1. Delete mufflers
2. CAI/Tuner
3. 3:73 gears
If I had to do it again I would of done gears/tuner first. I would like to do Shorties...Roush grill and lowering springs

Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You Have Plenty of Time....

All these posts and only one briefly spoke about Suspension. You need to pick out your suspension first, even if you put on your exhaust first. You don't want to load up your suspension and find out none of your suspension parts will not work for the exhaust setup.

Get an idea on how much you want to drop it, then you can decide if your exhaust setup will work. Nothing worse than being in a hurry and realize you spent a lot of money and you have to rethink your suspension.

Pretty sure your Mustang won't rust out on you, so no need to rush.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
All these posts and only one briefly spoke about Suspension. You need to pick out your suspension first, even if you put on your exhaust first. You don't want to load up your suspension and find out none of your suspension parts will not work for the exhaust setup.

Get an idea on how much you want to drop it, then you can decide if your exhaust setup will work. Nothing worse than being in a hurry and realize you spent a lot of money and you have to rethink your suspension.

Pretty sure your Mustang won't rust out on you, so no need to rush.

How is an intake, shorty headers and axlebacks going to have an effect on my suspension?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
+1. I not sure what that post is aimed at? Maybe he can elaborate on it.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang