$800 Shopping List - 2014 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
$800 Shopping List - 2014 V6

Alright, I have allocated myself $800 for my first round of mods. These will be for performance/appearance. The only things I have done to my black V6 premium are tinted windows, and added new speakers to the Shaker (along with subs). What would your combination of mods be? I have also thought to just save another few hundred and get Staggered AMR 20s around. What do you think?

$800 to spend... GO!
JRockDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRockDetroit View Post
Alright, I have allocated myself $800 for my first round of mods. These will be for performance/appearance. The only things I have done to my black V6 premium are tinted windows, and added new speakers to the Shaker (along with subs). What would your combination of mods be? I have also thought to just save another few hundred and get Staggered AMR 20s around. What do you think?

$800 to spend... GO!
I am old so I would have taken that money on Speakers and put to your appearance mods. Heck when I was in High school I had huge amps for shat that in the end did not matter, or the cheer girls.

Today I have appearance mods that gets all kinds of attention from cheer moms in several states of touring travel.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I am old so I would have taken that money on Speakers and put to your appearance mods. Heck when I was in High school I had huge amps for shat that in the end did not matter, or the cheer girls.

Today I have appearance mods that gets all kinds of attention from cheer moms in several states of touring travel.
Luckily I am only out $150 on the audio stuff. I had equipment on hand that wasn't being used and got some 5x7s on clearance. Turning heads is definitely nice... But Cheer moms would get me in more trouble than I can handle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

ArtU, I see that you did:

Decals ~$250
Louvers ~$200
Spoiler? ~$300

Roughly my budget. I do like the idea of matte black stripes on my black car. The louvers are awesome and definitely in future plans, and I like the GT500 spoiler. That is a very real possibility. I feel like I should show some love on mechanical stuff too though.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I would state that if you have a platform that ROCKS opps my shift key... then you should know your intended platform is one of the "Rockers!"

Other wise we txt along...

Getting' Around... We are fine...Getting...Around..
Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Decals ~$250
Louvers ~$200
Spoiler? ~$300

Roughly my budget. I do like the idea of matte black stripes on my black car. The louvers are awesome and definitely in future plans, and I like the GT500 spoiler. That is a very real possibility. I feel like I should show some love on mechanical stuff too though.
Actually that is very good plans, I like that
Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I'll tell you right now, a quality stripe installation will cost around $500+ A new spoiler will cost around $200 for the part, and provided you get a quality [matching] paint job and get it installed, you're looking at another $250 (so $450 for spoiler). Louvers, not sure on how much the part is but for paint and installation, another $150-$200 or so.

How about an aftermarket tune? What is that ab $400? Very worth it. Can't forget ab exhaust either. $400-$600 will get you a nice set of axle-backs.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
1st performance mod should be a tune IMO.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
1st performance mod should be a tune IMO.
Agreed. 1st mod in general is exhaust in my book. Ha.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
OK one says 1st mod is tune , Stang says first mod is exhaust....

well that is that I did, Axle back Ford Sports (Borla stingers) with the Ford Tips saying Ford Racing....

And...
Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Are you worried about your warranty? If you are, then I would just save for the staggered wheels. That appearance mod will stand out more than either louvers, spoilers, or stripes would in my opinion
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll tell you right now, a quality stripe installation will cost around $500+ A new spoiler will cost around $200 for the part, and provided you get a quality [matching] paint job and get it installed, you're looking at another $250 (so $450 for spoiler). Louvers, not sure on how much the part is but for paint and installation, another $150-$200 or so.

How about an aftermarket tune? What is that ab $400? Very worth it. Can't forget ab exhaust either. $400-$600 will get you a nice set of axle-backs.
Using American Muscle, and installing everything except the stripes myself:

-Great local shop who quoted the vinyl stripes at under $300. They did my tint and I have seen some impressive vinyl work from them.
-They have the GT500 spoiler in UA Black for $300. Drill a couple holes?
-Louvers in UA Black $200. Double stick tape.

What kind of gains could I see from a stock setup with a tune (on regular gas)? I do think the exhaust is a great idea. I looked into the BBK setup with long tubes. I like that they have published performance gains.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Are you worried about your warranty? If you are, then I would just save for the staggered wheels. That appearance mod will stand out more than either louvers, spoilers, or stripes would in my opinion
No major warranty concern. Assuming you meant because of the tune?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Considering that, I would personally work from the inside out. Performance then appearance. I would get a tune and gears done first. AM probably still offers that combo and with installation your will get a significant performance gain. Even if you still elect to run 87 octane
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Then, unless you plan to gut your whole exhaust system shorty headers is a great direct bolt on that will give you more low end.

You will get mix reviews on the BBK shorty tune length headers, but I guarantee you will be smiling from ear to ear
Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree..Tune & exhaust are the best 1st mods! Personally I'd pick tune 1st because I'd rather go a bit faster than just sound faster u know! Haha. That's just me tho..
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Considering that, I would personally work from the inside out. Performance then appearance. I would get a tune and gears done first. AM probably still offers that combo and with installation your will get a significant performance gain. Even if you still elect to run 87 octane
They do have the kit. $675, and the tunes are for life. This could be it. I suppose the gain from the tune would offset my MPG loss? My commute is long so i wouldn't think about 4.10s. 3.73 over my stock 2.73 would be night and day. Haven't broken the 6 second 0-60 mark yet, winter in Michigan has not made it any easier.

I would even have some cash left over.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They do have the kit. $675, and the tunes are for life. This could be it. I suppose the gain from the tune would offset my MPG loss? My commute is long so i wouldn't think about 4.10s. 3.73 over my stock 2.73 would be night and day. Haven't broken the 6 second 0-60 mark yet, winter in Michigan has not made it any easier. I would even have some cash left over.
Don't forget the cost of getting the gears installed! Since ur commute is long there's lots of hwy driving right? Also auto or manual?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Don't forget the cost of getting the gears installed! Since ur commute is long there's lots of hwy driving right? Also auto or manual?
Having the gears installed would be nice, there goes the extra cash! Yes, 100 miles x 4 days/week. Manual.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Using American Muscle, and installing everything except the stripes myself:

-Great local shop who quoted the vinyl stripes at under $300. They did my tint and I have seen some impressive vinyl work from them.
-They have the GT500 spoiler in UA Black for $300. Drill a couple holes?
-Louvers in UA Black $200. Double stick tape.

What kind of gains could I see from a stock setup with a tune (on regular gas)? I do think the exhaust is a great idea. I looked into the BBK setup with long tubes. I like that they have published performance gains.
AM is hit or miss. I bought two spoilers from them and neither of them matched my paint (different tint) and it had orange peel... On a freshly painted part. Now only the best painter in town paints parts that go on my Mustang and if he says $250 for spoiler paint+install I don't question him.

One of my dad's good friends has been in the tint/vinyl/decal business for 20+ years and here in LA he charges $600 for a stripe job, he's also one of the best in town. He's busy 5 days out of the week.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Having the gears installed would be nice, there goes the extra cash! Yes, 100 miles x 4 days/week. Manual.
Yea throwing the gears in ur trunk won't really work! Lmao. I've heard the install cost from $300-$600 but id call shops around ur area to find the the best price but from a reputable shop! Gears are something u don't want installed by a novice! As for ur driving habits just think the lower the gear (higher the #) the faster it will accelerate but the lower the mpg will go! I've heard 4.10s are too much in a manual. 3.73 are good but more for someone who does more city driving or doesn't care about mpg too much. 3.55s are a good in between. Use the search function & read all the gear threads to gather all the info to make the choice that best suits u!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AM is hit or miss. I bought two spoilers from them and neither of them matched my paint (different tint) and it had orange peel... On a freshly painted part. Now only the best painter in town paints parts that go on my Mustang and if he says $250 for spoiler paint+install I don't question him.

One of my dad's good friends has been in the tint/vinyl/decal business for 20+ years and here in LA he charges $600 for a stripe job, he's also one of the best in town. He's busy 5 days out of the week.
Cant argue with those statements at all, you definitely get what you pay for. Vinyls I would take a chance on, only because they are easily fixed/removed and this place (A2 Customs in Ann Arbor, MI) uses quality material. The spoiler on the other hand... I would hate to return something.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I will read into the gears some more.

Out of curiosity, checked youtube and saw a sub 5 second 0-60 with the 3.73s, tune, cai, and throttle body. Crazy to think that simple bolt ons and a tune will put a V6 in the 4s.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm from Flint/Lansing. Thank the Big Homie I got out of that state.....lol

Now like stated above 3.55 gears is a good way to go consider your daily commute. I myself have 3.55 gears and I have an auto. I was looking for that even balance. That's still a considerable difference from stock and even the people with the performance pack only get 3.31 gears.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm from Flint/Lansing. Thank the Big Homie I got out of that state.....lol

Now like stated above 3.55 gears is a good way to go consider your daily commute. I myself have 3.55 gears and I have an auto. I was looking for that even balance. That's still a considerable difference from stock and even the people with the performance pack only get 3.31 gears.
Very true on the car and Michigan. Ready to go!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

This answer placed a smile on my face...thanks!

To the OP, think of the engine as a large air pump, to get more air out, you have to get more air in. The order in which you do it does not matter, as long as both get addressed.

Most go with the exhaust first (more air out), as it provides the sweet sound they like, and most friends get to hear that mod first. Then you can go with getting more air in, which in my opinion, should be a CAI and tune combo. A CAI by itself does nothing that the stock airbox setup already can do. Ford did their homework with the 3.7. It's airbox flows very good on its own. However, with a tuner/tune, an improvement in performance is really seen, and felt. The CAI improves the look and sound, so many like this mod for those reasons.

In my opinion, this order works for 95% of the time:

1) Exhaust
2) Tuner/tune
3) If you have to have it, CAI (If #2 and #3 are in the purchase works, get a "combo" kit).
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Decals ~$250
Louvers ~$200
Spoiler? ~$300

The stripes inside of stripes was $350, $250 would have got me single wide strips. I know they are cut from the Vinyl cutter at the same time no matter single, dual or triple; but the extra time to edge trim the artist took about another hour trimming each and every edge about a week latter after they had time to setup and get sun heat. I actually have a 56" Vinyl cutter, and rolls and rolls of Avery Vinyl, but I wanted a pro to do my car. I am only a hobbyist with the cutter putting decals on R/C Airplanes and HiPower Rockets. I do have $75 roll of Black Fake Carbon Fiber looking Vinyl I am thinking of doing some car things with some day.

The QTR windows lovers were stock, but AM has them for $200 painted like. in the next few weeks I am getting the rear windows lovers MRT to complete the '71 mach one look.

The Spoiler is the Kali Special 4 pedestal spoiler from AM $199, and $75 for my dealer to paint BMW flat black and install. I really like 2 pedestal spoilers, but our rear deck lid has 4 holes in it.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I also have the 2014 premium ( white) first thing I did was swap out the shift knob, installed a flow master muffler ( kept my pipes) and airaid filter. My car sounds amazing deep and throaty. If you don't have the backup cameras and the GPS I highly recommend it. My next mod will most likely be the louvres but I'm more than happy with my baby as is. Have fun
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglulu View Post
I also have the 2014 premium ( white) first thing I did was swap out the shift knob, installed a flow master muffler ( kept my pipes) and airaid filter. My car sounds amazing deep and throaty. If you don't have the backup cameras and the GPS I highly recommend it. My next mod will most likely be the louvres but I'm more than happy with my baby as is. Have fun
Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #30

Region: Canada
Tinted windows are a must! I also tinted out all the side markers and third brake light. MGP caliper covers are also a great addition.
ryster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Steeda CAI & Tune!

Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3159 - Free Shipping!

Great power adder - Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque!

Let me know if I can help!

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Steeda CAI & Tune!

Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3159 - Free Shipping!

Great power adder - Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque!

Let me know if I can help!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryster99 View Post
Tinted windows are a must! I also tinted out all the side markers and third brake light. MGP caliper covers are also a great addition.

Yes I agree! I did that too
Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
my first two mods on my 2013 v6 were replacement grilles, window tint, and side marker/3rd brake light tint.

gives the car a whole new aggressive look.

with that done, i'm going to do some performance next. doing exhaust, CAI, and tuner. once that is done i'll likely do my sound system then lowering springs and rims/tires. trying to flip flop between performance and appearance to always keep it fresh and fun in each area....

best of luck, and HAVE FUN

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
I can vouch for that CAI, its a monster, huge breathing and sounding; 90's and 00-07's Corvettes at work tremble in fear at lunch time in the parking lot Most of those guys at work don't even know its a V6.

With the "required" tune, it really adds some HPR. Now its the only one that requires a tune, so when I was choosing, that meant it was the one that could actually give some gains over the stock Cold Air box.

Also that Huge Blue Air filter really gets some looks at the many local car show meets. One we have every Friday afternoon to 8pm in the spring-fall has over 200 cars on a nice city block sized grass lawn that used to be a downtown suburban school. DJs , drawing, and all the local food shops line the outside block. Lots of Lady's and also Moms drift around looking, (yes with kids in tow)

Then after 8, the folks all cruse over to the old side of town to an old almost empty mile long 60's strip shopping center and gather round till 11-12pm for the evening show, bikes to mustangs, to Rat and Grunge Rods and everything in-between. The Rat Rod folks look like 40's dudes and their dudettes dress up like the 40's girls.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BKV6 View Post
my first two mods on my 2013 v6 were replacement grilles, window tint, and side marker/3rd brake light tint. gives the car a whole new aggressive look.
Yes, Grill mods are great. I added my GT Grill & Fogs as Mod #6.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang