Build List Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Build List Help

Airaid CAI
Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner
BBK 73mm Throttle Body
Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer
Motive Performance Plus 3.73 Gears
J&M Extreme Joint Rear LCA's and UCA's
J&M Adjustable Panhard Bar
Accel Super Coil On Plug Kit

Currently all I've done is put Magnaflow Catback's on my V6. Compared to my friends brand new 2014 V6 you can already feel it has better acceleration, especially doing a burnout. I'm not trying to race or go over board with mods, but would like to get my V6 running smoother and have some more power to pass others on the highway.

When I do a burnout my car does kind of lose control and tries going side to side, will the LCA's, UCA's, and Panhard Bar solve that issue? Also is the throttle body spacer and 73mm tb worth getting and does it fit with the Airaid CAI, heard both sides? I did hear that the spacer gives out a nice sounding whistle which sounds interesting. Are LT headers worth buying with an x-pipe? Finally will the accel super coil on plug kit help with mpg's and is it necessarily needed?

Thanks and I'm open to other brands
AcesNeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
List is an impressive one!

I would suggest some additional research on the spacer. In most applications, they do not offer any real performance gains. Most report them on our V6's as making a better door stop or paper weight.

The Accel coil overs may not be needed as well. I've not heard of the stock coil overs failing. Ford did great with the spark and air intake on these engines from the get go.

You'll get some responses to the rear gear selection as well....it all depends on how you use the car; stop and go or highway. If you do a mixture of both, the gear selection you made (3:73) is a good one.

As to the drive shaft, I'm assuming the tune you'll be buying will remove the top speed limiter. Do you plan to track the Mustang, or have another need to run it over 120? If not, then I'm siding with the folks that say it's not required.

But if the money is burning a hole in the wallet...
Old 03-14-2014, 04:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Haha somehow this got posted in on my build list thread I was making, it logged me off so I thought it deleted it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 04:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I accidentally posted this under my build list thread I was making when it logged me out. Fixed it, sorry lol
Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
List is an impressive one!

I would suggest some additional research on the spacer. In most applications, they do not offer any real performance gains. Most report them on our V6's as making a better door stop or paper weight.

The Accel coil overs may not be needed as well. I've not heard of the stock coil overs failing. Ford did great with the spark and air intake on these engines from the get go.

You'll get some responses to the rear gear selection as well....it all depends on how you use the car; stop and go or highway. If you do a mixture of both, the gear selection you made (3:73) is a good one.

As to the drive shaft, I'm assuming the tune you'll be buying will remove the top speed limiter. Do you plan to track the Mustang, or have another need to run it over 120? If not, then I'm siding with the folks that say it's not required.

But if the money is burning a hole in the wallet...
Yeah I figured the 3.73's would be my best since it's my daily driver. I'm not taking it on the track or plan on running over 120. Good to hear on the accel coils I wasn't sure on that. As for the spacer I read they don't get hardly any performance gains, but they give out a nice whistle, for $130 I wouldn't mind making her sound better.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

You have an impressive list of suspension options that will help the 3.7 perform better.

IMO, I'd rather spend money on mods that offer "performance gains" and not just gimicky sounds. I'd rather leave that for the other crowd, and show the masses what a Mustang is all about!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have an impressive list of suspension options that will help the 3.7 perform better.

IMO, I'd rather spend money on mods that offer "performance gains" and not just gimicky sounds. I'd rather leave that for the other crowd, and show the masses what a Mustang is all about!
Got a good point on the spacer. Is there anything else you could think of?

Decided:
CAI
Tuner
73mm TB
3.73 Gears
Control Arms
Panhard Bar
Old 03-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Make sure the CAI you buy compliments the tuner, in short, they work as a "pair". There are many CAI's that are sold that state "does not require a tune". These offer no additional performance gains then the stock air box setup. Ford did a real good job on the intake system of the 3.7. Buying a CAI that does not require a tune for maximum gain simply means you'd be buying it for looks, and for "sound" (many like the roar it makes when they stomp on the drive by sensor pedal (formorly the gas pedal)). The stock air box tube has a built on "muffler" that prevents the 'roar" sound. The GT's have a sound tube installed that pipes this into the cabin.

So, talk with Dan at AM on the CAI choice; he will set you up with a CAI and tuner/tune combo that will compliment each other.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I've read, but thanks for looking out. I may switch to a steeda CAI, nows the debate on with the steeda tuner or bama. Good thing on Bama is warranty, but it seems most people lean towards steeda. Really appreciate your help. If there's anything else you can think of that would make her run smoother let me know.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Post a pic of your Mustang. Then as you put on the mods, post more. We like to see the members Mustangs, and pictures encourage others to mod theirs as well.

And don't forget; once you get your post count up, you get a 6% discount with AM as a valued member of Mustang Evolution.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Make sure the CAI you buy compliments the tuner, in short, they work as a "pair". There are many CAI's that are sold that state "does not require a tune". These offer no additional performance gains then the stock air box setup. Ford did a real good job on the intake system of the 3.7. Buying a CAI that does not require a tune for maximum gain simply means you'd be buying it for looks, and for "sound" (many like the roar it makes when they stomp on the drive by sensor pedal (formorly the gas pedal)). The stock air box tube has a built on "muffler" that prevents the 'roar" sound. The GT's have a sound tube installed that pipes this into the cabin.

So, talk with Dan at AM on the CAI choice; he will set you up with a CAI and tuner/tune combo that will compliment each other.
I have a question about a "no tune required" Cai as apposed to the Cai sold as a tuner/Cai combo. What is it exactly that sets the two apart? I bought the Airaid tuner/Cai combo but visually they look identical. Is it the tube diameter or the type of filter that's different? Or is it the Airaid brand that just doesn't require a tune and I'd have to go with another brand like Steeda?

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

As soon as the weather gets better here in Kansas I'll try to remember for sure. Discount would be great considering I'm about to spend around $2,000 here in in the next month at AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I have a question about a "no tune required" Cai as apposed to the Cai sold as a tuner/Cai combo. What is it exactly that sets the two apart? I bought the Airaid tuner/Cai combo but visually they look identical. Is it the tube diameter or the type of filter that's different? Or is it the Airaid brand that just doesn't require a tune and I'd have to go with another brand like Steeda?

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
It's the tube diameter. A true CAI that is going to provide more flow than the stock setup is going to have a larger diameter tube. Plus in these cases, a larger throttle body is added to make it a "three some" combination. Since the CAI can flow more air then the stock throttle body can handle, the throttle body is changed. Then the Tuner/tune is needed to let the ECU/PCM know that more air is available, and so that the maps can be changed to increase the fuel/air ratio.

I think the stock injectors can handle this increased air flow, but that would be a question to ask Dan at American Muscle.

So, the cost of adding a thrttle body into the picture of a larger flowing CAI and tuner/tune requirement, usually scares away those who are in the market for a CAI, and they usually buy a cheaper "no tune required" CAI.

Speed costs money. More speen costs more money. How fast do you want to go?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Good explanation. So are the airaid Cai on AM identical, just one is sold separate and the other in a Combo? I guess what I'm really asking is there is no advantage from one to the other?

Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Good explanation. So are the airaid Cai on AM identical, just one is sold separate and the other in a Combo? I guess what I'm really asking is there is no advantage from one to the other?

Good question. My guess would be that it's sold seperately for those who may already have a tuner?

If I were in the market for a CAI, and already had a tuner, I'd not like the idea that I have to buy a combo kit.

Dan at AM can handle this one better.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #16
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesNeight View Post
Airaid CAI
Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner
BBK 73mm Throttle Body
Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer
Motive Performance Plus 3.73 Gears
J&M Extreme Joint Rear LCA's and UCA's
J&M Adjustable Panhard Bar
Accel Super Coil On Plug Kit

Currently all I've done is put Magnaflow Catback's on my V6. Compared to my friends brand new 2014 V6 you can already feel it has better acceleration, especially doing a burnout. I'm not trying to race or go over board with mods, but would like to get my V6 running smoother and have some more power to pass others on the highway.

When I do a burnout my car does kind of lose control and tries going side to side, will the LCA's, UCA's, and Panhard Bar solve that issue? Also is the throttle body spacer and 73mm tb worth getting and does it fit with the Airaid CAI, heard both sides? I did hear that the spacer gives out a nice sounding whistle which sounds interesting. Are LT headers worth buying with an x-pipe? Finally will the accel super coil on plug kit help with mpg's and is it necessarily needed?

Thanks and I'm open to other brands
There's some great information being tossed around here! Bucko has explained everything really good for you.

You have one hell of a build list going. Those mods will turn your Pony into an absolute beast! I'm glad to see that you're focusing on Suspension also. That is one of the most important departments on a car that is commonly skipped over. However, there's no real point in adding a ton of power if you can't actually put that power to the ground! That's where the Upper and Lower Control Arms come into play.

I would personally skip the Throttle Body Spacer if you're going to do an actual 73MM Throttle Body. There's no need to run both of them. Most guys will run the Spacer until they get a Throttle body or something similar to this! Instead of the TB Spacer, I would add a Cold Air Intake. There is a lot of great Intake/Tuner Combo's out there and you can't really go wrong. Airaid and JLT are the most popular options. I've ran them both on a few different Mustangs and the gains are very similar. I ended up going with the Carbon Fiber Airaid on my 2011 GT because the added looks sold me!

The feeling that you're experiencing when doing a burnout sounds pretty normal. Once the tires get really hot they will move from side to side or whatever way you cut the wheel. Adding Suspension won't necessarily prevent that but it will help you get off the line better and use the power that you have.

Long Tubes and an X-Pipe is a great modification. This is one of my personal favorite mods for sure. Besides the really aggressive exhaust note that you get, the added power and torque is great! Your car will throw a check engine light with no cats, however we can turn the O2's off within your tune so you'll be in good shape there. As far as the Accel Super Coils go. They're definitely a great mod. You will see a gain in MPG but if your stock coils aren't bad or damaged then they're not 100% necessary. You will see some small gains though!

Last but not least, your stock injectors will be fine for all of these mods. You won't really need to change them unless you add a Blower, Built motor or Nitrous. The Stock Injectors will get the job done for bolt ons!

I hope this helps. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. I'd be glad to help!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
There's some great information being tossed around here! Bucko has explained everything really good for you.

You have one hell of a build list going. Those mods will turn your Pony into an absolute beast! I'm glad to see that you're focusing on Suspension also. That is one of the most important departments on a car that is commonly skipped over. However, there's no real point in adding a ton of power if you can't actually put that power to the ground! That's where the Upper and Lower Control Arms come into play.

I would personally skip the Throttle Body Spacer if you're going to do an actual 73MM Throttle Body. There's no need to run both of them. Most guys will run the Spacer until they get a Throttle body or something similar to this! Instead of the TB Spacer, I would add a Cold Air Intake. There is a lot of great Intake/Tuner Combo's out there and you can't really go wrong. Airaid and JLT are the most popular options. I've ran them both on a few different Mustangs and the gains are very similar. I ended up going with the Carbon Fiber Airaid on my 2011 GT because the added looks sold me!

The feeling that you're experiencing when doing a burnout sounds pretty normal. Once the tires get really hot they will move from side to side or whatever way you cut the wheel. Adding Suspension won't necessarily prevent that but it will help you get off the line better and use the power that you have.

Long Tubes and an X-Pipe is a great modification. This is one of my personal favorite mods for sure. Besides the really aggressive exhaust note that you get, the added power and torque is great! Your car will throw a check engine light with no cats, however we can turn the O2's off within your tune so you'll be in good shape there. As far as the Accel Super Coils go. They're definitely a great mod. You will see a gain in MPG but if your stock coils aren't bad or damaged then they're not 100% necessary. You will see some small gains though!

Last but not least, your stock injectors will be fine for all of these mods. You won't really need to change them unless you add a Blower, Built motor or Nitrous. The Stock Injectors will get the job done for bolt ons!

I hope this helps. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. I'd be glad to help!

-Dan

I heard that LT headers rub on the ground, which I don't want to deal with. Would ST headers do anything as far as performance with the x-pipe? I would like it to sound more aggressive with my current Magnaflow's. Also would there be any spark plugs recommended? If so do they help any? Changed from 3.73 gears to 4.10 since I already have the 3.31's I want to feel more power haha. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good question. My guess would be that it's sold seperately for those who may already have a tuner?

If I were in the market for a CAI, and already had a tuner, I'd not like the idea that I have to buy a combo kit.

Dan at AM can handle this one better.
That would make sense.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

I heard that LT headers rub on the ground, which I don't want to deal with. Would ST headers do anything as far as performance with the x-pipe? I would like it to sound more aggressive with my current Magnaflow's. Also would there be any spark plugs recommended? If so do they help any? Changed from 3.73 gears to 4.10 since I already have the 3.31's I want to feel more power haha. Thanks!
My long tube headers don't rub on the ground and in fact they don't come close too the ground. Not even remotely close too the ground. Not even in the same zip code as the ground.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I may have been reading after lowering their car maybe? Not sure, but it sounds like I'm going with LT headers and an x-pipe eventually. As far as the x-pipes are they really illegal? I live in Kansas.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:11 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I may have been reading after lowering their car maybe? Not sure, but it sounds like I'm going with LT headers and an x-pipe eventually. As far as the x-pipes are they really illegal? I live in Kansas.
Removing your cats is technically illegal, however the real issue is places that have yearly emission testings. Removing the cats will cause someone too fail there emission test.

I'm not sure about lowering the car , if that effects the clearance of the long tubes. Lol! The car is plenty low for me. I'm 6-4 and I don't need to be riding 1 inch from the blacktop. Lmao.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I don't plan on lowering my car ever I must have been mistaken whatever I was reading haha. Well I know they don't do emission testing here in KS so I just may get the off road x-pipes. Do you think 4.10 gears are to much for a 2013 V6 stang? It's my DD, but I don't necessarily do a lot of highway driving, mainly city. Not sure if the 4.10's have much of a gain over the 3.73's.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't plan on lowering my car ever I must have been mistaken whatever I was reading haha. Well I know they don't do emission testing here in KS so I just may get the off road x-pipes. Do you think 4.10 gears are to much for a 2013 V6 stang? It's my DD, but I don't necessarily do a lot of highway driving, mainly city. Not sure if the 4.10's have much of a gain over the 3.73's.
I too have an off road x pipe and love it. I don't have yearly emission testing where I live. We have six gears and 4:10's will be fine bro. Go for 4:10's big daddy.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I too have an off road x pipe and love it. I don't have yearly emission testing where I live. We have six gears and 4:10's will be fine bro. Go for 4:10's big daddy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang