Won't shift out of park - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Won't shift out of park

I have a blue 2011 mustang v6 project car and when i got it back from the body shop for paint I put the car back in park without the battery on. Now when I start the car it show all doors and trunk are ajar when they are closed, power locks dont work, and the button on the shifter wont go back in to shift. This never happened before it was paint. I check all fuses, codes,and i cant figure out the problem. What should i do.
KONABLUE3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONABLUE3.7 View Post
I have a blue 2011 mustang v6 project car and when i got it back from the body shop for paint I put the car back in park without the battery on. Now when I start the car it show all doors and trunk are ajar when they are closed, power locks dont work, and the button on the shifter wont go back in to shift. This never happened before it was paint. I check all fuses, codes,and i cant figure out the problem. What should i do.

What about disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour to an hour, hook it back up and see if that makes a difference. It wouldn't hurt to try.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks but i already tried that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know if you can shift you car out of park with the engine running and door and or trunk open? It's 19 degrees out and I don't feel like going out in the garage to start my car just to test out. I know some vehicles don't let you lock the door while it is swung open with the engine running to prevent you from locking your keys inside. Don't know if Ford won't let you shift out of Park like that for safety reasons. If it does work that way, that would at least explain why he can't get it out of Park.

I also saw some people on the Web talking about crimped wires in the door boots that were causing their Door Ajar lights to stay on. Not sure how much disassembly was done or what was disturbed while painting the car.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm also not clear on how you got your car back home from them to begin with. Was it towed to your house without ever being started to begin with, even at the body shop, and then you just stuck the shifter in Park after you pushed the car to wherever you wanted it? Or did you drive it home from the shop? If you drove it back, I don't understand how you put it in Park without the battery connected unless you shut it off in gear, disconnected the battery, stuck it in Park and then reconnected the battery. Could you please explain a little better what exactly happened?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It may need to go to your dealer to get re-programmed

Somehow the CPU got corrupted and probably needs re-programming.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Somehow the CPU got corrupted and probably needs re-programming.

Ronnie

You're in Florida where it is warm right now. Can you shift your car out of park while either the door or trunk are opened?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yes, you can drive with either open.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
Yes, you can drive with either open.

Not just drive the car but shift it out of Park while open?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. It just gives you the warning that it's open but still shifts.
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby2013 View Post
Yeah. It just gives you the warning that it's open but still shifts.

Ok, thanks! So the shifter problem is not related to the door or truck ajar lights.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When you close the doors, do the windows roll up all the way and seal, or do they stay down an inch?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

@Grabbermeblue yes the windows fully seal, and the windows work.But the power lock dont work, but the doors lock with the key fob.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Can you answer my questions above about how you got your car home?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

^ good question lol
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

This may sound obsurd, but what condition is the battery in? A low charged or weak battery can cause very strange symptoms in the electronics these days. many folks post about how their gauges do strange things when the battery is weak, low charged, or dead.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Listen to Bucko

He is probably totally correct on a low battery.
Ronnie
Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Won't shift out of park

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This may sound obsurd, but what condition is the battery in? A low charged or weak battery can cause very strange symptoms in the electronics these days. many folks post about how their gauges do strange things when the battery is weak, low charged, or dead.

I wondered about that also, only thing is, I was waiting to see how he got the car home. I also figured it was probably charged enough if he got his car started.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm Guessing it may not be His car he is talking about

It may be a case where it is his friends car and he don't know how it was brought home. Probably a trailer and not started for a long time because it is a project car. I'm just guessing because he won't answer about how the car got home.
Ronnie
Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #20
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It may be a case where it is his friends car and he don't know how it was brought home. Probably a trailer and not started for a long time because it is a project car. I'm just guessing because he won't answer about how the car got home.
Ronnie
The way he worded his first post makes it seem like it's his vehicle. But I do feel like we need a bit more info to help him out with his issue.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It is my car, and i bought it and it lot drove. The battery is also brand new. Btw thank for helping.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It still don't answer how it got back home from the paint shop.

Maybe it is to hard to understand. I'm Out
Ronnie
Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is my car, and i bought it and it lot drove. The battery is also brand new. Btw thank for helping.

Could you please read my earlier posts and answer them? One was about what kind of disassembling might have taken place to paint your car, and the other was about how you got your car home and how that whole process went. We would like to help you, but we need a better understanding of what took place.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I think he is just trolling us!
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Well i guess ill start from scratch. I send my car in for frame work, and to be painted. I had minor framed damage to the core support, and frame horns. So last week when i got my car back it was brought by a trailer to my garage. I then installed a new radiator and hose to wrap up my project, then when i started the car i went to put in drive and the button wouldnt go in to shift, and the door ajar signal and the trunk ajar signal went on.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well i guess ill start from scratch. I send my car in for frame work, and to be painted. I had minor framed damage to the core support, and frame horns. So last week when i got my car back it was brought by a trailer to my garage. I then installed a new radiator and hose to wrap up my project, then when i started the car i went to put in drive and the button wouldnt go in to shift, and the door ajar signal and the trunk ajar signal went on.

Did you just have an accident with the car and that is why it is getting repaired? If so, were you able to drive it after the accident and you weren't experiencing these problems, or was the last time you had the car running before the accident and everything was fine? Wondering if the computer got damaged in the accident, it is in the engine compartment.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If they did any welding on the frame

They may have contaminated the computer when they grounded the welder.

If it was at the shop they would have had to get it out of park to move it around their shop when needed.

I hope you have your foot on the brake when taking it out of park. If your foot ain't pushing the brake pedal it won't come out of park.
Ronnie
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Good point with the foot on the brake Ronnie; totally forgot about that simple one.

Either that, or the sensor that "reads" that the brake is applied is bad, or damaged.

And, how sure are you of that battery? Many folks have replaced a battery with a new one, only to find out that the new battery was faulty. If it sat fo awhile, or if the repair shop left the doors open on your car while they were working on it, it may have a weak charge.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

He still has the problem of the door and trunk ajar lights, as well as the power locks only working with the fob. Unless he has two separate problems, I'm thinking it is more than just the brake solenoid switch, but anything is possible.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
He still has the problem of the door and trunk ajar lights, as well as the power locks only working with the fob. Unless he has two separate problems, I'm thinking it is more than just the brake solenoid switch, but anything is possible.
True. With several 'electrical" type problems he is reporting, I think it's going to end up being a damaged harness, or a harness connector near or at the point of the damage/welding he has had done if it's not a battery issue.

Bad grounds can also be a contributor to these types of faults. With the 2011 wiring factory manual I have, it's suprising as to how many body grounds there are throughout the vehicle.

Time to grab a multimeter (showing my age) or a newer test probe, a factory wiring diagram, and start probing.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
True. With several 'electrical" type problems he is reporting, I think it's going to end up being a damaged harness, or a harness connector near or at the point of the damage/welding he has had done if it's not a battery issue.

Bad grounds can also be a contributor to these types of faults. With the 2011 wiring factory manual I have, it's suprising as to how many body grounds there are throughout the vehicle.

Time to grab a multimeter (showing my age) or a newer test probe, a factory wiring diagram, and start probing.

As a side note, I had the same problem with my '95 T/A for years where I struggled pushing the button in on the shifter as the weather got colder, and later, anytime it was the first startup of the day. I would have to let the car run for 10 minutes and then it would just easily push in. I finally tracked it down to replacing the SHIFTER solenoid switch underneath the console. Worked perfect ever since. Not sure if the Mustang has a shifter solenoid switch, but I'm guessing it might. Maybe someone else knows that. Don't have time to look it up right now.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I still think it is a battery problem

I would think if he was going to do a project car he would have some Tools which would include a "BATTERY CHARGER" and the knowledge to know how to hook it up and use it. Even a brand new battery can be low from sitting on a shelf or just have one weak cell.
Like Bucko say's:
Quote:
And, how sure are you of that battery? Many folks have replaced a battery with a new one, only to find out that the new battery was faulty. If it sat fo awhile, or if the repair shop left the doors open on your car while they were working on it, it may have a weak charge.
Ronnie
Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

My battery has enough power to start my car.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Problem is fixed, thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Don't leave us hanging. Someone else might have the same problem.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang