Spoiler Question (and Hello) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Spoiler Question (and Hello)

Hello All,
I just recently became the proud owner of a 2014 V6 (which I would post a photo of if it weren't currently covered in snow!). Currently, my Mustang is without a spoiler, however I feel that is needs something on the rear just to give if a bit more "oompf".
That being said, I think I would like to go with something a bit more subtle, such as the Decklid Lip spoiler offered by Ford (seen here: Spoiler, Decklid Lip - Primed | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories)
My question is, has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with purchasing exterior parts for their Mustangs on ebay? I am currently looking at a listing online that looks similar to the Decklid but would be significantly less. 10 14 Ford Mustang GT Rear Trunk Tail Lip Spoiler Painted Shelby 2dr Coupe Base | eBay
I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck, but I just being cheap?
Should I just go with the Decklid spoiler Ford offers?
Thanks a bunch, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area.
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The first link is a stock spoiler that has been used on the 2011's to current for some time. They can be had used for under a hundred bucks off of ebay. You may even get lucky and find one with your color. The second link is more in line with the average prices.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
If the OEM spoiler is what you want, definitely look around on ebay, craigslist, and the classified section on here. People install aftermarket spoilers all the time and then sell their stock spoilers for dirt cheap. The hardest part will be the install since you don't have any pre-existing holes to mount the spoiler.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
If the OEM spoiler is what you want, definitely look around on ebay, craigslist, and the classified section on here. People install aftermarket spoilers all the time and then sell their stock spoilers for dirt cheap. The hardest part will be the install since you don't have any pre-existing holes to mount the spoiler.
True! And finding the template for it is difficult. Finding a buddy that's willing to remove their spoiler to assist in making a template from there's is also going to be challanging, as removing a stock spoiler is a royal pain; not the screws, but that super adhesive 3M automotive tape that's used. That is a huge undertaking to get off, event with the dental floss tricks and such.

Contact a vendor that sells the spoilers to see if they'll sell you a template if you buy a used spoiler. Maybe Dan at American Muscle can help you out with both the spoiler and template. You get a 6% discount once you reach the required post count here, so that can help in pricing too.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I can only speak for my experiences but American Muscle has been a tremendous help for me in figuring things out. There guys have told me what is best bang for the buck when upgrading and helped steer me to cheaper things when it is fine and to better products when I am about to choose a subpar one. There are allot of spoilers on there as well. Ebay and craigslist are great when you can find the right deal so just keep your eye out and if, like me, you ever get impatient go tehre and see what they have. Definitely my preferred site for Mods. Dan fro AM gets on here allot and will always be a tremendous help with any questions.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You are best to just buy a spoiler from American muscle. I bought the gt500 preprinted for my 2012 v6 I had . And when I got my 2014 gt I bought the preprinted duck tail from AM. They are great quality. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395181566.782371.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	617.0 KB
ID:	151074Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395181596.402113.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	644.1 KB
ID:	151075
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I tend to stay away from cheap car parts in general. You pay for what you get.

Although do check out AM, they have quality parts. You can try their 'prepainted' parts, but I personally haven't had any luck. The spoilers I received from them either didn't match (darker/lighter tint than my paint on my car) or it had orange peel, a result from a crappy painting process.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I bought an after market color-matched spoiler on eBay, but from a different seller than the one you linked. Color matching was perfect BUT it had a huge crack in the fiberglass. I sent it back and the replacement had no issues. They also included the template so installation was pretty straight forward. I think I paid around $125.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
BigCiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I tend to stay away from cheap car parts in general. You pay for what you get.

Although do check out AM, they have quality parts. You can try their 'prepainted' parts, but I personally haven't had any luck. The spoilers I received from them either didn't match (darker/lighter tint than my paint on my car) or it had orange peel, a result from a crappy painting process.
I was thinking about getting a pre-painted spoiler and louvers from AM, but after reading this I don't know if I wanna risk it...
AcesNeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesNeight View Post
I was thinking about getting a pre-painted spoiler and louvers from AM, but after reading this I don't know if I wanna risk it...

I have purchased a black GT500 spoiler for my 2012 v6 I had and had no problems with the quality also I just recently purchased for my 2014 GT the pre painted duck tail spoiler and the mmd tail light trim and again the quality was amazing. So out of 3 different pre painted parts from American muscle I have ordered every one was perfect. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395216056.417713.jpg
Views:	1824
Size:	735.7 KB
ID:	151125
Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I'm also very meticulous when it comes to my paint and detailing. I've spent $100's in detailing products and my GT has been in my buddy's professional detailing shop multiple times (actually in there right now). Point being, I have super high standards and know what to look for. Others may not notice defects or just don't care for them.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
I have purchased a black GT500 spoiler for my 2012 v6 I had and had no problems with the quality also I just recently purchased for my 2014 GT the pre painted duck tail spoiler and the mmd tail light trim and again the quality was amazing. So out of 3 different pre painted parts from American muscle I have ordered every one was perfect. Attachment 151125
I will say on newer vehicles you'll have a better chance for a paint match bc both the car and product is newly sprayed. You'll also received 2 black parts and put them on a white car so you don't have much to compare as far as color matching goes.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Replies with items for sale have been removed. Please use the PM function or the classifieds to sell items.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I will say on newer vehicles you'll have a better chance for a paint match bc both the car and product is newly sprayed. You'll also received 2 black parts and put them on a white car so you don't have much to compare as far as color matching goes.

The gt500 spoiler went on to a black 2012 and it matched perfectly. And the duck tail I compared to the black factory spoiler that came off my white 2014 it also matched perfectly
Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
The gt500 spoiler went on to a black 2012 and it matched perfectly. And the duck tail I compared to the black factory spoiler that came off my white 2014 it also matched perfectly
Ah, I see. Very nice.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Thanks!

Ok great, I will definitely check out American Muscle to see what they have. I'm leaning toward letting the dealer install whatever I end up going with, as I am more then a little apprehensive about drilling holes in the back of my new car
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang