Instrument cluster - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Instrument cluster

Is it possible to get digital gauges for the speed, gas, rpm. Etc.
Official.Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Anything is possible. The key is to start searching using Google to see if a kit is already available that is "plug and play". I tried this and came up with nothing in the way of a complete digital replacement cluster. The closest thing to it was that you can get a digital readout in the information center below the tach. While the link below is for a 99 Cobra, I believe the steps described also work for our 2011 and up Mustangs. It resets to normal when the engine is shut off, but easily sets up again with the procedure:

Mustangworld HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics
Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have a Garmin GPS that tell your speed.

It tells what the speed limit is on the road your on and also tells how fast your going. I just got it and I think there is a feature that will beep when you go over the limit. I don't think I need that because I never speed. The speed sign icon does turn red when you do go over the limit though. It works off the GPS so I'm guessing it is probably pretty close to how fast your really going.
The one on the car that is in the dash is crap. It spins the 10ths. so fast it gets on my nerves. You also have to go through turning it on every time you start the car.
You would think that someone would come out with a nice looking digital unit to just plug into the CPU.
Insert the key hold in reset start the car test will come up on screen immediately let go of the reset button. Then continue to press reset to scroll to speedometer.

I do remember this:>Digital speedometer?

It did work on my 2012 but like I said, The spinning was making me goofy. Well, Goofier then normal.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I also have to say, I never got used to digital readouts. With an analog guage, your eyesight will focus on the position of the needle within the guage, and you know if that's withing the correct reading. For example the oil pressure; if the needle is half way or better, then your brain tells you thats good.

If I look at a "value" rather then a needle, I have to think for a moment, if that value is correct, or within spec.

Again, this may just be my old age. The plan fact is that my brain neurons do not fire as quick as they used to, but for me the good old analog guages work. If I ignore them, the info center sends me a noise warning to inform me that something is wrong, and to look down at the guages.

However, the digital readouts, with the colors they can be programmed in, are cool; my son has a guage pod full of them in his Subaru WRX STi, and they light up, change color, and perform some entertainment to me on those rare days he comes to visit (and does not ask for money) and offers to drive me around (this I like).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang