V6 to V8 bumper and grille swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #1

Region: New York
V6 to V8 bumper and grille swap

Whats up everyone its been a while. looking for some help on the swap, i know its not hard to do but i just need to make sure i got everything right

So far i know i need, The GT bumper, and a GT grille.
Can you guys let me know if theres anything im missing.

Also ive been doing my shopping around for a grille and i know the Saleen is no longer in production, but does that mean if i find a website with the Saleen still in stock that it is just a look alike or could it possibly be the official Saleen one.

Thanks ahead of time and i apologize if these seem like dumb questions.
JustinEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Actually, LateModelRestoration just posted on Facebook that they restocked the Saleen grilles today. Not sure how long they'll last though. A very popular grille for the 2010-12 Mustangs

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1-Front-Grille
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Assuming you have a 2011 to 2012 Mustang, you need the front bumper cover, the grille, and the lower valance. If the grille is going to be a stock GT type grill (with fogs), then you'll need the fog lights and the headlight switch that pulls out to operate the fog lights(unless you already have the V6 fogs; then you'll already have this switch).

The V6 fogs used a different bulb then the GT fogs, so the wiring plug that connects to the fog light bulb has to either be cut and spliced with the GT type plug, or buy the adaptor that converts the H10 to H11 (easier and recommended).

If your V6 did not have the fog lights, then a kit such as the "Starkey" is highly recommended. It comes with the OEM headlight switch, and the wiring harness for the fogs.
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Thanks a lot. this helps, i think im going to go with the stock V8 bumper cover and stock valence, and just swap out the grille for now and possibly upgrade in the future.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Thanks a lot for letting me know, ironic how they just restocked it today.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Does anyone know a website where i can get a V8 bumper cover with the stock valence. Also would i need to purchase a grille surround?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
You don't need the grille surround with the Saleen grille. As for the bumper cover, Ebay, Amazon, and maybe New Take-off are good places to look
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Not so much now, but when the 2011 to 2012's were first being sold, Roush was doing "there thing" with them, and selling takes offs (brand new front bumper covers, gilles, and lower valances) for cheap. That market may now have dried up a bit, since the 2013's and up have a new front bumper cover, and Roush may now be getting more of those to convert to their Roush setup. Would not hurt to try their site from time to time.

Ebay or local Craigslist may be your best bet though. Be choosy in what used front bumper cover you buy. If there are any tears, chips, or cuts in the bumper cover, take into consideration that these plastic, flexable covers require a different method of repair. They require a "heated staple" type procedure to seam together the tear, and special epoxies on the front side to seal the tear. Then the bondo smear and sanding is performedto prepair for paint. While you may think you saved a few bucks buying a cheaper front bumper cover with these damages, the money spent to repair and its labor quickley eat away at that savings, and usially cost you more then if you just bought a undamaged cover in the first place. You may get lucky and find one in your color too that does not require painting, a real bonus.

Prices will vary based on condition, and distance to ship. Try a local salvage yard in your area for the front bumper at least, to save on the shipping cost. The grille and lower valances are plentiful, and prices vary on them as well (I.E. front grille with or without the GT foglight assemblies).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang