My next mod :) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My next mod :)

Hi guys,

I have been thinking about my next mod and while i would love to get some appearance parts i cant get out of my mind gears, tune or intake lol!!!

Reason i am thinking about gear or tune is because my 40 total commute are in stop and go traffic and my factory 2.73 just sucks!!!!!

I am not looking to race i am just looking for better stop and fo performance without losing my factory and extended warranty.

If i go with 3.31 gears will it affect my tachometer?

Also does anyone have an idea bout how much could a dealer charge me to do the install???
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 AM   #2

Region: California
Definatly think long and hard before you make any upgrades .. I'd say the best mods to start with are a cold air intake, some type of exhaust upgrade. ( research before buying!! ) and ya you definatly need to upgrade ur gears to atleast 3.31's or higher...
And again think long and hard before you modify ur car.. Theres the right way to do it.. And theres a million ways to ruin it and make it corny. ( which a lot of mustang owners tend to do )... And as far as tuners go.. Thats a bit drastic to start off with.. That should be an upgrade to consider down the line maybe after a year or two of seeing where your project with ur car is going.
V6wPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Hi guys,

I have been thinking about my next mod and while i would love to get some appearance parts i cant get out of my mind gears, tune or intake lol!!!

Reason i am thinking about gear or tune is because my 40 total commute are in stop and go traffic and my factory 2.73 just sucks!!!!!

I am not looking to race i am just looking for better stop and fo performance without losing my factory and extended warranty.

If i go with 3.31 gears will it affect my tachometer?

Also does anyone have an idea bout how much could a dealer charge me to do the install???
No gearing will effect the tachometer, as that reads the RPM's of the engine. It's the speedometer/speed sensors input to the speedometer that requires a new calibration when a gear change from the factory setting is done. If a dealer performs the 3:31 gear change, they can recalibrate (due to the 3:31 being a factory option). Any other gear change requires a tuner/tune to adjust the speed senors readings to the speedometer.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Personally I would go with tune and CAI simply because that's one of the biggest bangs for your buck and a lot of performance upgrades after that will require a tune anyway.

I would do more research on gears, there's a thread somewhere on this forum (perhaps in the "General Mustang Discussion" section I can't remember) titled "the Truth About Gears". A lot of good info in there.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I've driven the 2.73 and 3.31. There is a big difference. I would consider higher but Ford won't do it and I don't want to make the wtty Gods angry. IDK how much a dealer would charge but make sure they've done them before. I've been told it is a fussy job.....fyi with my 3.31 70 mph = 2k rpm.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I've heard that dealers charge an arm and a leg to put new gears in, but like bucko said they'll calibrate it for you. Alternatively you could get the gears installed elsewhere for cheaper then get a tuner to correct everything yourself. Just do some research on the shops first and make sure they've done work like this before.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have 2.73 right now, I think I'll swap tp 3.73 someday
Roush AB

Instagram @bz37
Shengzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
^^Thats what I'm doing next month, these 2.73s have to go!!

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang