Why do you think the 3.7 mustangs are worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #1

Region: California
Why do you think the 3.7 mustangs are worth it?

Of course we all want a V8. But for those of us who cant yet afford one, the 3.7 mustangs are definatly worth it in my opinion. I have the 2013 performance package v6 and it really feels like a muscle car with a couple bolt on modifications. The V6 mustang gets a bad rap from all the previous models before 2011.. And i dont think people have realised the true difference with the 3.7.. Ive had the car for a year and a half and i like it more everyday... People tend to ask why we dont spend the extra 5 grand for the v8.. The truth is, thats a trick question. The v8 will cost you far more than just 5 grand more if you look at the overall expenses that come with a new car.. We're talking higher car payments, higher insurance rates, higher yearly registration fees, and WAY more money spent on gas. I wanna be able to drive my car without having to think about all the money im
Spending on gas. With the v6 im getting 305 horsepower.. Basically just as powerful
As the 2010 GT.. So how can people say its not a good car simply because it has 2
Less cylinders?
V6wPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The long debate. I've owned 2 mustangs and both have been v6. Honestly I just can't afford everything that comes with a v8 as far as the price of the car, higher gas costs and more insurance money.

I had the option to get a 2013 v6 fully loaded or spend a few grand more on a base GT and it just wasn't worth it. I got the 6 with the convenience package and pony package for under 30k, and everything I needed. Not to mention better on gas and 300+ hp. I'm more than happy with it and don't regret my decision.
Awest31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
For me it was fuel economy. Honestly, I would have liked to have the 5.0, as it is a marvel of design. I could have afforded the initial price, but the 180 mile a day commute I was doing for a year and a half made the "wise" part of my brain tell me to go with the V6.

Now that this commute is done for me, I still stick with the V6 because it impressed me on how well it performs and its dependability.

Be prepared though. When the turbo 4 cylinder hits the market with its 315 plus HP, and it's lighter weight, it's going to put a hurt on us V6 owners. We will have to be on our "modding" toes to stay one step ahead.

I love my V6, but that turbo 4 has me a bit wide eyed...
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
I wanted to be that a-hole with the v6 that beats GT's. Just because everyone told me I would never be able to. Plus I got a special edition 2012 v6 a year ago fully loaded, navigation and everything with 10k miles for $22k. . A year later and she's at full bolt ons, waiting for suspension work and then comes a procharger!
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
I wanted to be that a-hole with the v6 that beats GT's. Just because everyone told me I would never be able to. Plus I got a special edition 2012 v6 a year ago fully loaded, navigation and everything with 10k miles for $22k. . A year later and she's at full bolt ons, waiting for suspension work and then comes a procharger!
And this is what it's all about...you buy what you like, you modify it (or not) to suite your tastes, and have fun with it.

To the "haters" that seem to get their jollys from poking fun at someone elses ride, I'm sorry that they don't get it. The car hobby is full of vehicles, designs, and mild to wild changes. I can recall that when the rat rod phase started, I was puzzeled, and did not get why someone would weld together a bunch of parts from several models, and make a "ride" out of it. Now I think it's cool as heck! Some of those are a engineering marvel!

So, keep the V6 going, keep making it individual, and please, post the pictures of the ride here to show everyone else what the hobby is all about.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post

This sums up my plans... I'm going all out with suspension!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ford did a great job on both Mustang engines

The V8 as well as the V6 are truly great engines. Both perform way better then expected. Both get good MPG and both are working great in our 2011 up Mustangs. One is not better then the other and if it was not for the Cyclone V6 3.7 engine I don't think enough Mustangs would be sold for Ford to continue making them. They need sale's numbers to exist.
I'm waiting for some idiots to start knocking the four when it is available in 2015. Even if it is a Four Cylinder it will still be a Mustang and they will probably sell a lot of them.
If you don't like a particular engine or transmission just don't buy it. You have a choice and you just have to get what you want. I could have bought a V8 but the six is more suited to my driving and I love it.
My six has won a few awards against many other Mustangs V8's included. It looks good, runs good, gets good MPG, and sounds good with the Magnaflow streets on it. If I wanted a Manual transmission I could not have it now due to my bad hip's and leg. If Ford did not provide the automatic I could not have my Mustang. I'm happy with my automatic because it works so well weather just tooling around or really getting on the throttle.
I like ALL Mustangs and it seems like 99% of the Mustang owners I have met are all great car people. ( Not like the Corvette snobs I was stuck with when I had my Vette) I ended up joining the Audi club to get away from them idiots.
I belong to two clubs now and one is a Muscle car club. Both are full of good people and the Muscle car club has over 200 members with cars of all sorts and I have never heard anyone knocking another members car.
If you don't like a V6 or a V8 you can't knock it because one is as good as the other. Both are true "MUSTANGS"
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have great respect for the modern V-6, it has more power than my old 5.0! Nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

that's what gets me the most. We have more power than the old v8's yet now it's unsuitable? Half the people talking smack couldn't outrun me with a two car head start (at a drag strip or track of course) I get lower insurance better gas and affordable payments and if I decide I want to spend the extra 5-8 thousand I saved by getting a v6 I'll throw a turbo in it and we can see who's talking smack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It's good to see that we have great appretiation for all Mustangs and all models offered for the Mustang.

If I come across a thread that contains any negative opinions on transmission or engine options, that contain any bashing, I remember this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stupidity.png
Views:	261
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	151373  
Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Now Really, Who really cares if your not gonna be racing.

The only people that care how fast your Mustang is would be you. It is nice to be super fast as long as the car is still streetable and fun to tool around in. I have seen some very fast cars at the drag strip and track days that were crap running on the street. If you want to spend a trunk full of $$$ to get your car super fast it is great (FOR YOU) Some of us just like to have a nice crisp running Mustang that with a few things make it our own and fun to drive.
It always seems that no matter how fast you can get your car to run, There is always somebody faster.Well, not always, But sometimes.
Does anybody except the owner care? I don't think so.
It is nice to have a super fast Mustang but so is it nice to have a crisp running V6 or older GT V8. As long as the person that owns their Mustang likes their car, Everything is fine. If they don't like it they can always sell it and get something else.
ronnie
Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Bucko

Really, Really appropriate Ya gotta love the wisdom of Mark Twain.
Ronnie
Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Really, Really appropriate Ya gotta love the wisdom of Mark Twain.
Ronnie
He had it right. Wise person. Most likely would have owned a Mustang!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #14

It wasn't about not being able to afford the GT for me. I could have afforded it. For sure the coyote is damned impressive. For some reason I am equally impressed with the 3.7 V6, if not more so. This is a base mustang with 305HP/280TQ that can run 13's all day long with minimal work. If you baby it the thing sips the gas. I got 27.5 MPG my last tank of fuel, that is with mixed city/hwy. Its just impressive to me.

The magazines had this car running with the likes of Nissan 370Z, a car that is like 10K dollars more. To me the V6 mustang is one hell of a value for a performance oriented car.

If anything I like the handling of my V6 Performance package more than the GT i test drove. The GT seemed a bit front heavy, granted it was a base GT, not a track pack or Boss. It might be my imagination.

There are days that I get V8 envy but 9 times out of 10 that is when I hear one with a nice exhaust. Doesn't really have anything to do with the power.

I'm looking forward to test driving the 2015 V6 as much as the Ecoboost and the GT. Gotta love an impressive 'base' mustang.

Just my 2cents.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I've had both and they are different in their own ways. I loved my v6 and didn't really want to get rid of her. So instead of going with another v6 I decided to try out the GT. And to be honest I'm getting better average mpg in my GT. I don't seam to be driving any different than I did with the v6. The black one was my 2012 v6.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395416552.710158.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	683.2 KB
ID:	151382Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395416567.744977.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	655.7 KB
ID:	151383
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Your 5.0 looks great

Are you going to put stripes on it? The wheels look good already. Your 2012 looks good too. Congratulations on the new ride and I'm sure your gonna enjoy it.
Ronnie
Old 03-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
What makes it worth it to me: I have a pretty well optioned car that gets good mileage. After I put a super or turbocharger on it I will be able to run as fast as the V-8 but at a price of a base model.
Randy
randyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #18

What got me was the 80$ a month i would have to pay extra in insurance. And I'm doing 21 mpg my friends gt does about 15 on a good day so mathematically 75 miles more before empty "theoretically"
Perma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #19

My reasons for getting a 2014 V6 premium:
1. Not a better looking car avail for $22,500.00
2. Not a better performing car at that price
3. I was driving a 2008 Hyundai Accent...my insurance went DOWN $20.00 a month with the Mustang. That would not have been the case with the V8.
4. I've owned a Corvette in the past, like others have stated, I'm more impressed with the performance from the Coyote than a V 8.
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

These "Electronic Hot Rods" are so impressive with minimal bolt on's. I enjoy driving through the twisty's. My 67 Camaro couldn't do what my 3.7 mustang can strip or track.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Are you going to put stripes on it? The wheels look good already. Your 2012 looks good too. Congratulations on the new ride and I'm sure your gonna enjoy it.

Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie, I love it but how could I not lol it's a mustang. Yes I am thinking of doing the lemans stripes in gloss black
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
3.7 or 5.0, it's still a mustang!

I always have wanted a nice car, as i always took what i can get, and i always took care of the cars regardless. I worked hard, went to school, got 2 degrees, and got a good job or 2 along the way. The wife okayed my purchase, and we went car shopping spur of the moment. This was right when the 13's were just coming on the market. I really wanted the 5.0 and i could not find one within 400 miles spec'd out the way i wanted.

I then decided to test drive the v6. Coming from a honda civic and my doing a lot of driving behind me, it was an eye opener. The thing that got me was that it handled and rode really well, and with the reported MPGS, and the price/rebates i was offered, not to mention the 0% financing, i was finally sold.

I always wanted to mod a vehhcile and the 3.7 was my first test subject. I did everything i wanted, but the only thing that got me was my MPGS were not what i expected. On average based on my fuelly i averaged 23.5 and my best tanks actaully came after i was fully bolted on too. I was honestly hoping for 26-28.

I felt like i was always chasing the 5.0 as that was what i orignally wanted deep down inside. No other reason. I loved the 3.7 in every way other than i excpected a little better mpgs.
The dealership i bought from is now a huge Roush Dealer, and i grew to love the style and sound of them, so one day with the wife's blessing, i ate all my mod money and things on the 3.7 and traded it on on a 2014 roush stage 2.

I love this car and i feel complete like this was the one meant for me, but if it wasn't for my journey in the 3.7, i would never like Mustangs the way i do now either.

I'm averaging currently 4 MPGS less with the 5.0, and it is getting better the more miles i put on her. I would expect a 20/21 average vs 24 in the 3.7. Insurance went up $14/month, and i will pay roughly $650/700 more per gas per year. The only negative, if i would have gotten a set up like i have now my payment would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

So all in all, i don't think people hate on the 3.7. I think it's just immature people who would do that over any topic. We have a group in the Southeast and the last "cruze" we went on had mustangs of all types and everyone get's along and appreciates everyone's ride. Tis life.

It's your life, so do what makes you happy. I wasn't even a Mustang fan before my purchase but now i can't imaginve it any other way.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have both. The v6 was a base, the GT a premium. Performance wise I have done the same to both, CAI, tune, gears, etc. The v6 has gotten a lot more appearance mods because it was lacking compared to the GT. The GT is stupid quick with its 4.10s but the v6 with its 3.73s holds its own pretty well, gets better mileage of course and seems to simply be more fun to drive daily. They are both two great car/engine combos and one can't go wrong with either. Last night at the meeting after the meeting of our local Mustang MCA chapter a bunch of us were chatting. One guy just picked up a really nice '04 Comp orange GT. I had my v6. We drove each other's cars and he was just shocked with the v6's performance compared to his 2v 4.6L. I liked the little New Edge and would love to have one but it's not a 3.7L.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Congratulations jac20

You have something now that you love. Someone will buy your V6 and love it just the same as you love your Roush.
Ronnie
Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
It is a true performance bargain. You get great looks combined with decent performance made in America (mostly) on a platform that has lots of affordable opportunities to make it your own.

btw Good 1st post Spirit, that pretty much nailed my situation and of course my pick
Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Why do you think the 3.7 mustangs are worth it?

When I was looking for my new car, surprisingly the V6 Mustang wasn't even on my mind. I was looking for something with a manual transmission so I could learn how to drive stick. At the time I was looking at used 5.0s. Alas it was proving to be really difficult to find one in my price range. I was about to give up looking for my new car altogether when I drove by my local Ford dealership and saw a brand new Race Red V6 with Performance Package. I didn't think I would fall in love with it right away, but I did. It looked great, drove great and had only 5 miles on the odometer. That was over two years ago and I still can't believe this is the first car I ever bought new. I'm pretty damn lucky!

Also I don't regret not buying a 5.0. Of course every once in a while some idiot will ask me "Why didn't you get the V8?" At the time it just made more sense to buy the V6. I was only 20 at the time so insurance costs would have been astronomically high. Also I was commuting to college at the time so good gas mileage was a must. And to those who think all V6's are slow haven't been in mine. With a few bolt-ons and a tune it will sweep the floor with any stock pre-2011 V8 and even keep up with some current 5.0s

So yes the 3.7s are definitely worth it. However if you're a true Mustang enthusiast you love all Mustangs, regardless of year or engine size.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
When I was ordering my 2013 I went back and forth on the MCA with V6 or the GT/CS with V8. (I knew that I would end up with forced induction either way so that cost was a wash as far as I was concerned).

I was at the track with my Xcharger'd 2006 and made a pass - the Xcharger scream lets everyone know on a pass that it has a supercharger. I got back to the pits and 2 guys driving new 5.0's walked up and one said "we thought you'd be quicker than a mid 12, we could hear the blower". The hood finished opening up and he counted the spark plug wires and said "oh crap, this is a 6, now I'm impressed" and turned to the other guy and said "we're getting our a$$ handed to us by a 6!"

I decided then. I could have the GT/CS and have "just another modded V8" or I could get a 6, beat up on some V8's (especially the Camaros) and have something unique. Besides, with the forced induction on the V8, with a convertible, I would end up needing to put a full cage on the car and I didn't want that. I can put a turbo on this one, put my 6 point roll bar in it, and run low 11's with no problem.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered a new 2014 V6 about 4 weeks ago. I have wanted a mustang ever since I could remember but never considered the V6. With the arrival of the new 3.7 I have no problem driving a V6. What also sold me was when ford decided to use the same front bumper on the GT and V6. So most people won't see a GT or V6 they will just see a Mustang.

I always root for the underdog, So if the V6 is Rocky Balboa and the GT is Apollo Creed thats just fine with me.

YouTube: TheRedStang227
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCny...D0lpUwi_ddL5Ww
Charlesph55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
if it was not for the Cyclone V6 3.7 engine I don't think enough Mustangs would be sold for Ford to continue making them. They need sale's numbers to exist.
Yes, this is one of the top reasons; tons and tons of folks on rentals now drive the Cyclone as a rental car while on Business or VaCa and it rocks for them....That means sales for Ford after the flight home...That's called Market Research results for Ford.

For me my V6 Pony Pack performed better than heavy early 70's cars we hot rodded with 351 fords to 400 mopars. [I am not talking about the factory rich cost rods, but the common V8 and Big Blocks a kid could buy used]
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
I am equally impressed with the 3.7 V6, if not more so. This is a base mustang with 305HP/280TQ that can run 13's all day long with minimal work..
I am and will always be impressed, along with my friends that saw what It could do with my 2013 V6 Pony Pack plus Perf pack options. The only thing I want to put out to others is that not all V6s will run in the 13s all day long or get under 6.1 in 0-60. You need to do some things to make sure they do. The Car & Track review used the 3.31 MT-82 Perf Pack to do 5.8 and 13.9 ets. I had to do more to get to 5.5 in 0-60 other just buy a V6 Premium Pony Pack AUTO ; Just saying, I love the V6 and continue to promote it, just want correct expectations. [Note reviews in mags from MT82 vs Autos, that is where the most issues come from also in the GT 5.0s]
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma3 View Post
What got me was the 80$ a month i would have to pay extra in insurance. And I'm doing 21 mpg my friends gt does about 15 on a good day so mathematically 75 miles more before empty "theoretically"
Yes that is the young person's price. Back in the 70's if I bought a "Road Runner" my insurance said NO WAY...Sebring Plus Pack, OK no issues in insurance costs even with bigger 400ci motor and more better interior.

Funny thing after I bought my 2013 V6, my agent told me the Shelby would cost no more than $11 more, My GT upgrade costs me $4 more a month now.

Insurance and Risk is about track records [no tickets] , risk of your location, and the drivers background checks and what the car can do to cause issues in all of those.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=FloridaSam;1973811]My reasons for getting a 2014 V6 premium:
1. Not a better looking car avail for $22,500.00
2. Not a better performing car at that price

+20 over 9db
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
These "Electronic Hot Rods" are so impressive with minimal bolt on's. I enjoy driving through the twisty's. My 67 Camaro couldn't do what my 3.7 mustang can strip or track.
And that's a FAQ !
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
I'm just gonna throw out there that my first pass ever at the track, not just with my car, first ever. I made a 13.6 run with just a muffler and an intake.

Dying to know what I made now. I've come such a long way. And the funny thing is, I watched 5.0's run 13.3's that day. Driver mods make the difference. That extra $10k doesn't always mean something!
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGenius View Post
Also I don't regret not buying a 5.0. Of course every once in a while some idiot will ask me "Why didn't you get the V8?" At the time it just made more sense to buy the V6. I was only 20 at the time so insurance costs would have been astronomically high. Also I was commuting to college at the time so good gas mileage was a must . And to those who think all V6's are slow haven't been in mine. With a few bolt-ons and a tune it will sweep the floor with any stock pre-2011 V8 and even keep up with some current 5.0s

So yes the 3.7s are definitely worth it. However if you're a true Mustang enthusiast you love all Mustangs, regardless of year or engine size.
Yes those bolded items above is +1000, and the Cyclone V6 rocks in performance proved you made the correct choice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang