Kudos to Bama and Helpful Tip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
DEvermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Iowa
Posts: 106
Kudos to Bama and Helpful Tip

I recently had to get new tunes for Race and Hybrid on my V6 after 93 octane fuel disappeared from my area. I called in to ask for the speed limiter to be removed for these tunes and they mentioned they won't do that unless the car has a one-piece drive shaft. (I do, so it was no problem.)

In my mind, it's a really good thing they do require that.

That said, the tip is this. If you need to have the speed limiter removed from one or all of your tunes because, for example, you are taking your car to the track, you probably should call Bama and ask for that after you place your order and put in your car information. Have your order number in hand, of course. And, make sure you have a good drive shaft on the car (not stock!). There is no place in the form to indicate you do have a drive shaft other than in comments, so it might be a good idea to give them a call and let them know.
__________________
2017 GT350 w/electronics package.
DEvermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
fknjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: McAllen
Region: Texas
Posts: 113
Do we really need to change the drive shaft? Is it really that bad? I here stories from both ends saying that the drive shaft fails and others saying they take their mustang (2011-2014) all the way without the limiter and no problems had occurred.

I'm still getting my driveshaft replaced with an aluminum one piece drive shaft cause I want the benefits that they come with, I'm just truly curious about that issue though.
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Awest31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
I heard a lot about the driveshaft issue. I'm waiting until my warrant runs out to buy a tune and when i do
I'm getting the aluminum driveshaft. It sucks we have a limiter. Such a tease.
Awest31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sterlingbeast5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Naples, FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,654
I have added one to my build list recently as well. My reason was I have heard a number of people report that the clucks and such that come with shifting go away. Can you give me your opinion Devermore? Expensive upgrade but if it truly tightens up the lag and reduces the shifting noise in addition to lightening the car I'd say worth it. I dont track really just a DD that likes to push the limits.
__________________
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
DEvermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Iowa
Posts: 106
From what I heard on the phone today, yes you do need that drive shaft if you want them (Bama) to take off the speed limiter. You can always go with some other company for your tuning, of course.

Personally, though, an aluminum one-piece was one of the first mods I made. I'm taking my car to the track and I don't want to be sweating bullets the first time (or the hundredth time) I'm heading down the long straight with no speed limiter and wondering if it's going to hold or fail. I want to be absolutely confident in my car.

Eh... I don't mind the red line limiter, though...
__________________
2017 GT350 w/electronics package.
DEvermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEvermore View Post
I recently had to get new tunes for Race and Hybrid on my V6 after 93 octane fuel disappeared from my area. I called in to ask for the speed limiter to be removed for these tunes and they mentioned they won't do that unless the car has a one-piece drive shaft. (I do, so it was no problem.)

In my mind, it's a really good thing they do require that.

That said, the tip is this. If you need to have the speed limiter removed from one or all of your tunes because, for example, you are taking your car to the track, you probably should call Bama and ask for that after you place your order and put in your car information. Have your order number in hand, of course. And, make sure you have a good drive shaft on the car (not stock!). There is no place in the form to indicate you do have a drive shaft other than in comments, so it might be a good idea to give them a call and let them know.
That must be something new because bama never asked if you had a one piece aluminum driveshaft. If you told them too remove the speed limiter bama just removed it.

Further more, lets take a look at this because its really interesting if that's true. Example.

Customer: Hello bama. I need you too remove the speed limiter on the tune

Bama: Sir, in order too do this, we need to know if you have a one piece aluminum driveshaft. Do you have that..

Customer: Why of course I do. How lucky for me.

Bama: Great, we will get your tune right out too you with the speed limiter removed.

How does Bama know you are telling the truth or lying? Lmao
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
DEvermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Iowa
Posts: 106
Napless,

The aluminum 1-piece I got from AM did not change any shifting sounds for me. However, for some reason the vibration I had always felt when decelerating in the mid-2000 rpm range is greatly diminished. Still there if you look for it, but not nearly so much.

BTW Nap -- this is in reference to a V6, not a GT like in your sig.

(To diminish that without buying a new ds, push in clutch and apply brake. LOL)
__________________
2017 GT350 w/electronics package.
DEvermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
DEvermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Iowa
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That must be something new because bama never asked if you had a one piece aluminum driveshaft. If you told them too remove the speed limiter bama just removed it.
This was true last year when I got tunes from Bama. I simply asked for the speed limiter to be removed and they did it. But today when I called in to make sure it would be removed because I'd forgotten to ask in the comments section of the form, the response was he couldn't do that unless I had a 1-piece ds.

To me, it simply looks like someone decided they couldn't afford to be liable if the stock DS failed while running their tune. Yeah, you could lie to them. But that's the same as taking responsibility for it yourself anyway. So it seems like an "I had to ask" kind of situation. But like I said above. I think it's good they did ask.
__________________
2017 GT350 w/electronics package.
DEvermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEvermore View Post

This was true last year when I got tunes from Bama. I simply asked for the speed limiter to be removed and they did it. But today when I called in to make sure it would be removed because I'd forgotten to ask in the comments section of the form, the response was he couldn't do that unless I had a 1-piece ds.

To me, it simply looks like someone decided they couldn't afford to be liable if the stock DS failed while running their tune. Yeah, you could lie to them. But that's the same as taking responsibility for it yourself anyway. So it seems like an "I had to ask" kind of situation. But like I said above. I think it's good they did ask.
Yeah, but once word gets out, the answer will be yes I have a one piece. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
I think a one piece DS is a good move for any car that's tracked. Even if you're not necessarily going above the speed limiter, but still driving the car hard for extended periods of time or launching it hard to the drag strip. The worst part about a DS failure is there's not always signs it failing before a joint lets go. Like DEvermore said, sometimes it's just better to have a piece of mind and be 100% confident in your Mustang in any condition.

Bama does check in with their customers now to see if they have an upgraded DS before removing the speed limiter. Could you lie and have them remove it unknowingly? Sure. However, we feel it's still a good precaution to take and can potentially keep some customers out of danger.

Thanks for sharing your feedback DEvermore!

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
I think a one piece DS is a good move for any car that's tracked. Even if you're not necessarily going above the speed limiter, but still driving the car hard for extended periods of time or launching it hard to the drag strip. The worst part about a DS failure is there's not always signs it failing before a joint lets go. Like DEvermore said, sometimes it's just better to have a piece of mind and be 100% confident in your Mustang in any condition.

Bama does check in with their customers now to see if they have an upgraded DS before removing the speed limiter. Could you lie and have them remove it unknowingly? Sure. However, we feel it's still a good precaution to take and can potentially keep some customers out of danger.

Thanks for sharing your feedback DEvermore!

Shane
Shane,
I hear you on that and guessing in today's world of liability it helps protect the company. I'm sure AM will see an increase of consumers that all of a sudden have a one piece aluminum driveshaft. Lol!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Shane,
I hear you on that and guessing in today's world of liability it helps protect the company. I'm sure AM will see an increase of consumers that all of a sudden have a one piece aluminum driveshaft. Lol!
By no means am I denying that! haha. I'm sure we're going to be scratching our heads when the increased amount of one-piece aluminum driveshaft Bama tuned customers aren't reflecting in our DS sales.

Hmm something's not adding up correctly here...

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

By no means am I denying that! haha. I'm sure we're going to be scratching our heads when the increased amount of one-piece aluminum driveshaft Bama tuned customers aren't reflecting in our DS sales.

Hmm something's not adding up correctly here...

Shane
I was thinking the same thing bro. Ha ha ha
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom vs. Strategy Tune (BAMA SCT) Rynarok AmericanMuscle 63 06-17-2013 10:21 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:08 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.