Question for Airaid CAI Installation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question for Airaid CAI Installation

Recently, I ordered Airaid CAI from AM and had it installed for my baby. However, I found the aluminum fitting (and gromment) is not perfectly connected to tube. As the following pic shows, there is still an apparent gap although I had made a lot adjustment. I'm afraid that it will lead to air leak and affect CAI's function.

Does anybody have the same problem? How to fix it? MANY GREAT THANKS!!

GlobalMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah it definitely looks like its not seated properly. I know when I did mine it also gave me a hard time, but not to get it straight, but to get it in at all! From what I can remember is that there was a lip on the end of the aluminum fitting and from your pic it looks like its not completely through the grommet causing it to sit crocked. Its something IMO you should address. If you can't do it with the CAI on the car I'd suggest talking it off and apart to get it seated properly.

:Update:

I just went to look at mine for you and noticed that the line actually pulls on the aluminum fitting causing mine to not sit exactly flush either. When I tug on the line just a little in the opposite direction it sits perfectly flush but when I let go it sits a little crocked.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you tug on the line a little (down) does it straighten or remain crocked?

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395442820410.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	151425  
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
If you tug on the line a little (down) does it straighten or remain crocked?

yes, when I crug the line downward from the view of my picture, the fitting can be straighten.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah it definitely looks like its not seated properly. I know when I did mine it also gave me a hard time, but not to get it straight, but to get it in at all! From what I can remember is that there was a lip on the end of the aluminum fitting and from your pic it looks like its not completely through the grommet causing it to sit crocked. Its something IMO you should address. If you can't do it with the CAI on the car I'd suggest talking it off and apart to get it seated properly.

I just went to look at mine for you and noticed that the line actually pulls on the aluminum fitting causing mine to not sit exactly flush either. When I tug on the line just a little in the opposite direction it sits perfectly flush but when I let go it sits a little crocked.

Thanks so much, Bro. Maybe this should be universal situation?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This is what Airaid staff replied to me:
By design we used the aluminum fitting/rubber grommet combination to allow for manufacturing tolerance we saw with the OE breather tube during development of the system. While it may appear that the fitting may be prone to leaking however the raised flange area of the aluminum fitting is only a stop to prevent the fitting from being installed too far. The section of the fitting the fitting that goes thru the grommet is where the seal is made and you should not have any reason to be concerned. Let me know if you have any additional questions.”

Old 03-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
with my airRaid intake this is exactly what it does in your first pic and is crocked. I have used mine for almost 13k miles and no leaks. If it leaks your rpms will jump up and down while you are idling and act like it wants to die.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
with my airRaid intake this is exactly what it does in your first pic and is crocked. I have used mine for almost 13k miles and no leaks. If it leaks your rpms will jump up and down while you are idling and act like it wants to die.
LOL,thank you. I'm totally at ease now!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
looks awful
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai