Wheel Spacers? Pros and cons? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Wheel Spacers? Pros and cons?

Ive always liked mustangs with a wide muscular stance. Ive been looking into getting spacers for mine and would like to know what im getting into before i go through with it. anything i should be worried about? or is there also a good side this mod
Bedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I am glad you asked jajaja i was about to post the same question!!! Lol

I have a mustang premiun with the pony package and wheels and the only thing I would like to is to make my wheels more flush with the car, pony wheels are good looking but i would like them to be push more outside.
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
I am glad you asked jajaja i was about to post the same question!!! Lol

I have a mustang premiun with the pony package and wheels and the only thing I would like to is to make my wheels more flush with the car, pony wheels are good looking but i would like them to be push more outside.

+1 for good taste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

it's perfect when you're kind of stuck with what you have. I think it's preferable to buy rims and tires that don't require spacers but when you opt for certain rims spacers do the trick. There arnt really any cons to them... used correctly they shouldn't be dangerous or rub. Some of my friends think it contributes to a weaker wheel set up functionally but I don't see it
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I just put some on tis sat, they look good plus I got sport line springs,only 20 miles or so. After I get home 2 moro im gonna take the rim off and re torque em, then again after 100 miles or so .

2013 mca 3.7: DIB
mods: sportline springs, bmr lca, steeda adj. uca, bmr panhard bar, lca relocation brackets, jlt cai, 91 mpt race tune, lethal o/r x-pipe, pypes m-80 resonators, pypes pipe-bombs.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Cons: depending on how fat a tire (or wide a rim) you currently have, you want to be sure the tire does not rub or strike the rim during suspension travel.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13savage6 View Post
I just put some on tis sat, they look good plus I got sport line springs,only 20 miles or so. After I get home 2 moro im gonna take the rim off and re torque em, then again after 100 miles or so .

How much spacing did you use?
Also, how much did the new springs lower the car?
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Important - YES- Very important

DO NOT BUY UNIVERSAL ONE FITS ALL CARS CRAP SPACERS Only buy a spacer that fits your car and has longer sturdier studs or bolts that come included with the spacers.
Buy a Torque wrench and check the torque about every 1,000 miles or so if running spacers. If you feel a vibration Check the torque immediately.
Spacers are OK if you just use a little common-sense and caution. Plus you don't buy crap just because it is cheaper.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Im new to the S197 body style, whats a good thickness of the spacer? Im not looking for "hellaflush" or whatever you call it, just so it doesnt look so sunk in.

I plan on getting some wheels and tires,but that probably wont be until much later...whats the stock offset? Im sure Ill do 20's on this Mustang, what a good staggered offset wheel?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Diehard im using 1 1/5 inch ones from am . Plus ive got eibach sportlines on.

mods: sportline springs, bmr lca, steeda adj. uca, bmr panhard bar, lca relocation brackets, jlt cai, 91 mpt race tune, lethal o/r x-pipe, pypes m-80 resonators, pypes pipe-bombs.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13savage6 View Post
Diehard im using 1 1/5 inch ones from am . Plus ive got eibach sportlines on.

Do you mean 1.5"??
Old 03-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
DO NOT BUY UNIVERSAL ONE FITS ALL CARS CRAP SPACERS Only buy a spacer that fits your car and has longer sturdier studs or bolts that come included with the spacers.

Buy a Torque wrench and check the torque about every 1,000 miles or so if running spacers. If you feel a vibration Check the torque immediately.

Spacers are OK if you just use a little common-sense and caution. Plus you don't buy crap just because it is cheaper.

Ronnie

Allright so only buy "make-specific" "non-cheap spacers" that come included with the bolts (im guessing the ones from AM should be okay,).. Use a torque wrench..
Got it.
Appreciate all the help guys..
Old 03-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Do you mean 1.5"??
Yeah

Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The one's at AM are OK

If I were to get them I would go for the H&R from Germany that cost $199.99 a set. These will still allow you to use stock Ford Wheels as well as Aftermarket wheels.
Go to AM and read the installation guide. One thing missing in the guide is to use BLUE LOCKTITE" on the nuts holding the spacer on. Torque them to 100lbs. You do NOT want to use "RED" Locktite because if you do you may not be able to re-torque the nuts if they need it later. Red is a permanent locktite.
After driving about 75 or 100 miles pull the wheels and check the torque on the spacers. There is nothing as bad as having a wheel come off and pass you going down the highway. Trust me! I know.
Good quality spacers installed properly are safe and will stick your wheels out enough to look good and clear some big brake kits.
Just don't think the less expensive one are as good as the expensive one's because they are """NOT"" It's not only your life but there are other people using the same roads you drive on.
Ronnie
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So im a dummy, I over torqued my lugs both spacer and wheels to 150#. Is it safe to loosen them and torque them to to 100#, or are my threads fubar??????
I only drove on them 10 20 miles.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Loosen them and re-torque them

Over tightening lug nuts is not a good thing. Just undo them and re-torque to 100 Ft.Pds. and you will probably be fine. I would not leave them that tight because they may twist off.

After you do this, when you drive about fifty miles check them with your torque wrench again to be on the safe side.
Ronnie
Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Plus I should use some locktight

Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Use only on the studs holding the spacer on.

You do NOT want to use the locktite on the lugs holding the wheel on. But you do want to use BLUE locktite on the lugs that is holding the spacer on. Not red but Blue Locktite.
It is the spacers that need to be re-torqued after about 50/75 miles Of course you will torque the wheels to 100 lbs
I put a dab of Never-Seize on my lug nuts but if you don't it is OK.
Ronnie
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

ThAnx buddy can i see some pics of your spacers

Cyclone 3.7
Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Never use any sort of locktight on the lugs themselves, as Ronnie points out. You'll never get them off if you do, or end up twisting the socket on the bolts.

This usually happens when you are in the middle of nowhere, with a flat tire, and some ugly kid with weird eyes is playing a banjo by a tree.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm not using them on my Mustang

I learned about spacers mainly from people using them in the old days. A lot of guys used them on the rear wheels to look cool and to use larger tires as well as wider tires for traction. Spacers were needed for clearance too. When a wheel came off going down the highway the word got around the diner and through talking, A solution came to actually talk to the guy's at the Tire shop in Philadelphia on how to use spacers properly. They called the people making spacers at that time and after installing them properly and using blue locktite nobody ever had a wheel come off again.Making sure everything is clean and re-torquing the nuts on the spacer is now just common sense. Back in those days we were not that smart and just stupid enough to throw away any instructions that came with anything we bought. Instructions were just for stupid people. Ha ! Ha ! The J.C.Whitney catalog sold universal spacers that were really cheap but really crap. Going to the big tire store in Philadelphia to get spacers made for your car and paying more was what saved a lot of grief.
A bunch of guy's had rented a bunch of Garages in Wilmington that we called Garage ally and it was a great time for street rods as well as Muscle cars. Everybody knew everybody and cars were a way of life. We all learned a lot from each other and everybody helped one another when needed.
It was the best time of my life and I wish it was still the same. I know that it is gone forever and will never return. Sad but true. I moved on and now I just enjoy my clubs and a few car shows and cruise-in's. It'n not like the 50's to early 70's but better then no fun cars at all.
Ronnie
Old 03-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Well no spacers here but running a sn95 offset on s197 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395958552.223565.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	976.7 KB
ID:	152080Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1395958576.423780.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	868.3 KB
ID:	152081
armymustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Thats a lot of poke. How bad does it rub?
Old 03-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

No rub but also not lowered yet
Old 03-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymustang View Post
No rub but also not lowered yet

I dont think thats going to work very well for you after lowering.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Meh it my little experiment I have more sets
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Meh it my little experiment I have more sets
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I learned about spacers mainly from people using them in the old days. A lot of guys used them on the rear wheels to look cool and to use larger tires as well as wider tires for traction. Spacers were needed for clearance too. When a wheel came off going down the highway the word got around the diner and through talking, A solution came to actually talk to the guy's at the Tire shop in Philadelphia on how to use spacers properly. They called the people making spacers at that time and after installing them properly and using blue locktite nobody ever had a wheel come off again.Making sure everything is clean and re-torquing the nuts on the spacer is now just common sense. Back in those days we were not that smart and just stupid enough to throw away any instructions that came with anything we bought. Instructions were just for stupid people. Ha ! Ha ! The J.C.Whitney catalog sold universal spacers that were really cheap but really crap. Going to the big tire store in Philadelphia to get spacers made for your car and paying more was what saved a lot of grief.
A bunch of guy's had rented a bunch of Garages in Wilmington that we called Garage ally and it was a great time for street rods as well as Muscle cars. Everybody knew everybody and cars were a way of life. We all learned a lot from each other and everybody helped one another when needed.
It was the best time of my life and I wish it was still the same. I know that it is gone forever and will never return. Sad but true. I moved on and now I just enjoy my clubs and a few car shows and cruise-in's. It'n not like the 50's to early 70's but better then no fun cars at all.
Ronnie
Sounds pretty damn awesome Ronnie! We need some more of that today.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #30

Region: Texas
The torque spec for wheels on a s550 is 150ftlb. Should I use this same spec if I have spacers on my gt?
Guard.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Are you sure? That is super tight, usually its like 85-100... i wouldnt recommend 150.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Are you sure? That is super tight, usually its like 85-100... i wouldnt recommend 150.
Yea. Torque spec changed for 2015- 17 models
Old 11-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #33
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Sounds like a typo to me. The aluminum rims will deform at that much force. Non engineer

plz excuse typos..txtng n drving
Old 11-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Sounds like a typo to me. The aluminum rims will deform at that much force. Non engineer

plz excuse typos..txtng n drving
I didnt even think about that, but i was more concerned with the lugs breaking. There's really no need for them to be that tight.

As far as your original question, how many full threads are you able to get on with the spacers? Basically counting from the 12:00 position, does the 12:00 return at least 7-8 times, or 7-8 full rotations? That's considered to be the "minimum safe threads," so you can still use normal torque specs with that many rotations. I would still advise against 150 ft/lbs, i wouldnt go over 100.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
https://youtu.be/9camEVJ3pnM

Fast forward to 1:35

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang