Louver Installation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Louver Installation

Hey everyone, I just received my msi rear and side window louvers (Mach-Speed ABS Rear Window Louvers - Best Price on ABS Plastic Window Louvers for Ford Mustangs)
( Mach-Speed ABS Side Window Louvers for Ford Mustangs - Best Price on Unpainted Mustang Window Louvers)
and was wondering how people approach the installation to avoid any problems in the future as far as the louvers staying in place. The directions that came with the louvers are very straight forward and seems like a easy install I'm just worried about the louvers staying in place. It seems to use 3m vhb adhesive, is that strong enough to hold the louvers in place? also seen a video were silicone was used around the brackets once installed, should I also do the same? buy adhesion promoter? and last but least the car sits in the driveway I will be installing once weather is better (raining atm sigh) would the installation be affected since it gets colder overnight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Louver Installation

Surface prep is key here. Most of the louvres I've seen come with 2 adhesive promoters and 2 alcohol pads. clean both mounting surfaces and use the promoter on the louvres. That VHB, when done properly, will hold anything down (just about), they use that stuff to put airplane skins on when riveting is not possible. Just make sure you get them on straight, apply moderate pressure for about 30 seconds and avoid moisture for as long as possible, around 24 hrs. Be sure to black out the glass if you don't want to see the ugly back sides (mainly for the glass-mounted ones). You should also know the internet rule: Pictures or it didn't happen! .

edit: The above is pertaining to the quarter windows. Sorry, I've no experience with the rear glass louvre...
ageless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I hope that ABS rear window louver works better for you than it did for me. After driving about 5 miles at highway speed, it began to vibrate, creating an extreemly annoying sound in the car. By the time I got back home, three of the center pieces were cracked, due to the vibration.

I received a full refund.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

@ageless1 Thanks for the input, appreciate it!
@bucko I was hesitant at first to get these over the $300 louvers AM offers. But these were on sale and still look just as nice as the others, hopefully it's a smooth install and they won't break or fly off lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have an 04, but I bought the MMD Louvers from AM and have had a few problems with them, honestly. The first set I had, I prepped and all that crap like you're supposed to and one side stuck VERY well, while the other side was "eh." I took the "eh" side off and redid the 3M tape and got it stuck like it was supposed to. One day, about 8 months after I bought them, I pulled in to the driveway from picking up my daughter from school and apparently had lost a louver on the way home. I wasn't happy.

However, I spoke with AM customer service and they sent me a replacement set, I just sent back the one louver I had. This set fits AMAZINGLY. The first set was cut a little differently, I think. The louvers fit so nicely that if they're not cut perfect, it's hard to get a good stick on the window, in my opinion. So in short, prep and stick...if they don't stick like they should, I recommend pulling it off and buying some 3M (not the off-brand) tape and re-sticking it. It's better to be safe than sorry, cause trust me, you don't want to lose one.

I absolutely LOVE the look of the louvers, though, no matter what body style.
Tiffsobelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Please post a pic of the side window louvers once installed. I have been looking at these as well for the price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

@jubi351 really good price compared to other options if you don't want to spend too much money. They do seem very cheap as far as the plastic used. But they do look very nice. I have not seen the mmd louvers in person to input my opinion.
@tiff hopefully these stay put well lol.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
@tiff hopefully these stay put well lol.

Hopefully!
Tiffsobelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
really good price compared to other options if you don't want to spend too much money. They do seem very cheap as far as the plastic used. But they do look very nice. I have not seen the mmd louvers in person to input my opinion.
I ordered my GT500 spoiler through autoaything and saw the price but was skeptical at quality but the reviews were very high. I would like to see a straight on side shot and a front or rear shot to see how far they stick out if you can. Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Scoops mounted easily and they are very secure.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

These do create a blind spot, so be warned. My wife complains that when she has to cross over a divided highway and make a left turn into traffic, she cannot see much unless she angles the care to the left (to view the rear from the rear window). If you click the first picture for a larger view (?) you might get an idea of how far "they stick out"

Mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080246.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	152119   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080245.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	152120  

Name:	P1080247.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	152121  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Appreciate the pics bucko ugh so mad I can't install mines already! Hate Sf weather. I'm not really too worried on blind spots I only use the mirrors tbh. Rarely ever have to look over shoulder.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Appreciate the pics bucko ugh so mad I can't install mines already! Hate Sf weather. I'm not really too worried on blind spots I only use the mirrors tbh. Rarely ever have to look over shoulder.

I'm still getting used to the little spotters.

Bucko: I saw the house in the background of your car pic and instantly thought, Florida! I grew up in Winter Park.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ageless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396816961158.jpg
Views:	2660
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	153067
Finally had the right weather to install these louvers. Really easy install. And no issues so far (knock on wood). It really makes the car stand out and visibility is surprisingly good still. In love with them and hopefully they last me a very long time. I will post more pictures later on for those who are interested in these louvers. Msi louvers from autoanything for the ones interested.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Drove on the freeway already. No problems, at 70mph+ they will start to rattle but honestly you don't even notice it nothing loud and obnoxious.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffsobelle View Post
I have an 04, but I bought the MMD Louvers from AM and have had a few problems with them, honestly. The first set I had, I prepped and all that crap like you're supposed to and one side stuck VERY well, while the other side was "eh." I took the "eh" side off and redid the 3M tape and got it stuck like it was supposed to. One day, about 8 months after I bought them, I pulled in to the driveway from picking up my daughter from school and apparently had lost a louver on the way home. I wasn't happy.

However, I spoke with AM customer service and they sent me a replacement set, I just sent back the one louver I had. This set fits AMAZINGLY. The first set was cut a little differently, I think. The louvers fit so nicely that if they're not cut perfect, it's hard to get a good stick on the window, in my opinion. So in short, prep and stick...if they don't stick like they should, I recommend pulling it off and buying some 3M (not the off-brand) tape and re-sticking it. It's better to be safe than sorry, cause trust me, you don't want to lose one.

I absolutely LOVE the look of the louvers, though, no matter what body style.
Make sure it's the 3M Automotive tape as well. There are tape "grades", so make sure it's for automotive use.

You are correct with the prep work. It is key to making these stick and stay! I too had a problem with one rear side louver; I prepped, I used the 3M automotive, yet after a few weeks, I noticed that the top of the louver was loose. I removed it, and re-did the install. Both have been on for 4 months now with no issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang