Getting ready for hwy packed summer: 3.73 gears with BAMA or 3.55 with MPT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Getting ready for hwy packed summer: 3.73 gears with BAMA or 3.55 with MPT

So the summer is almost here. Time for me to swipe out my Michelin Xice to Pirellis. I am almost done modding (purchased the parts) with the exception of gears. Now I have read hundreds of threads where people have suggested that if you do mostly hwy driving (or city mix), get 3.55 gears to get best of both worlds.

I mostly do 80% hwy driving. Now this is where it gets tricky, I want the pull/launch of 3.73 gears but still be able to get decent mileage loll. I currently have a BAMA tune on stock 3.31 gears. The dealership guy told me 3.55 gears won't really make much of a difference after going from 3.31.

I have heard MPT tunes pulls really hard (as demonstrated by Kona blue's dyno specs). I am wondering if this tune coupled with 3.55 gears would be right up there with 3.73 gears and bama? - or if there still would be a day n difference between two and that I should just bite the bullet and get 3.73s?

Cheers

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Here she is

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396034437694.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	152150  
Old 03-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Hey what forced induction are u gonna do? If you re going procharger 3.73 or 4.10 are really good and hwy. Driving wont suffer much at all . If you go turbo 3.31 or 3.55 are better cuz youll stay in the boost, all this that mentioned is only what I have read on forums and such.

2013 mca 3.7: DIB
mods: sportline springs, bmr lca, steeda adj. uca, bmr panhard bar, lca relocation brackets, jlt cai, 91 mpt race tune, lethal o/r x-pipe, pypes m-80 resonators, pypes pipe-bombs.
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13savage6 View Post
Hey what forced induction are u gonna do? If you re going procharger 3.73 or 4.10 are really good and hwy. Driving wont suffer much at all . If you go turbo 3.31 or 3.55 are better cuz youll stay in the boost, all this that mentioned is only what I have read on forums and such.

2013 mca 3.7: DIB
mods: sportline springs, bmr lca, steeda adj. uca, bmr panhard bar, lca relocation brackets, jlt cai, 91 mpt race tune, lethal o/r x-pipe, pypes m-80 resonators, pypes pipe-bombs.
Nah I ain't going FI atm, just gears, shifter + bracket and exhaust. I'm on a budget but if I did eventually go FI, it be turbo for sure. Just in gear dilemma for now lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I love my 3:31 gears. I don't know how you could ever put more down to the ground anyway without slicks These cars are more powerful than street tires allow you to use. I am really no one to answer this though cause I have never done gears. I am just saying the 3:31 will still bark 4 gears so I think that pulls pretty hard for the street.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
I love my 3:31 gears. I don't know how you could ever put more down to the ground anyway without slicks These cars are more powerful than street tires allow you to use. I am really no one to answer this though cause I have never done gears. I am just saying the 3:31 will still bark 4 gears so I think that pulls pretty hard for the street.
I guess the pirelli p zero summer tires are pretty awesome when it comes to traction for street driving. The 3.31 are bit of a sleeper at low rpms for my taste, need that extra bark down there lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

In two weeks I'm going 3.73s. These 2.73s I have now are absolutely terrible! If I had the option of the 400$ upgrade from the factory I would have gladly upgraded even knowing two years down the line I'd go 3.73s. I drove a 3.31 13 manual on the ford lot before I bought mine and it was a pretty big difference! My only complaint about this car is the 2.73 gears! Horrible horrible horrible!!!! I know ford put them in there for Mpg bragging rights but IMO hurt the car more than it helped! Many people that have the 3.31s say the highway mpg is very close to the 2.73s anyway but they make the car way more fun to drive. Sorry for the 2.73 rant. : )

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I've got 3.31 gears as well. I'm thinking about upgrading to 3.73s but I don't know if they're worth it considering what dealers charge to install them.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
If I had the 3.31 gears, the only gear change I would consider is 3.73. Since I have the lovely 2.73s I will be going 3.55. My driving is 80% highway also.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
In two weeks I'm going 3.73s. These 2.73s I have now are absolutely terrible! If I had the option of the 400$ upgrade from the factory I would have gladly upgraded even knowing two years down the line I'd go 3.73s. I drove a 3.31 13 manual on the ford lot before I bought mine and it was a pretty big difference! My only complaint about this car is the 2.73 gears! Horrible horrible horrible!!!! I know ford put them in there for Mpg bragging rights but IMO hurt the car more than it helped! Many people that have the 3.31s say the highway mpg is very close to the 2.73s anyway but they make the car way more fun to drive. Sorry for the 2.73 rant. : )

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
My mustang was more of an impulse buy after a test drive. I had no idea at that time what gear ratios are and how they effect your acceleration. All I saw was performance package with a bunch of goodies - that was enough for me lol I am glad I went with it haha I can't imagine how bad 2.73s must have sucked. Your MPG depends on how you drive and how heavy for foot is. I get 29mpg cruising at 60 mph, and 31-32mpg if I'm granny-ing it at 50mph with current 3.31 gears. Good thing I have a manual for all the joy lol
Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGenius View Post
I've got 3.31 gears as well. I'm thinking about upgrading to 3.73s but I don't know if they're worth it considering what dealers charge to install them.
You would have to be really lucky to get a good price for dealers. I called almost every single dealership around my town; most of them wanted $700 for the install. This one day I asked this service manager I have a good rapport with, fed him some BS saying the performance shops are charging around $330 for an install. But I want peace of mind with getting em installed from a dealership, so how much are you gonna charge me it shouldn't be more than $350-375 due to difference in labour rate.

He was like that's correct, '' we don't charge same labour for everything we do, there are things we do at $60/hr, $80 and then of course the usual $110. '' He checked out his online software thingie to see how many billable hours would be needed to finish 3.31 to 3.73 gear swap. $400 was the amount he came up with, 3.6 hrs @ $110 plus 12% tax.. and he wrote this quote on my profile so that when I come in next time, the person charge knows what to charge. I am sure if I push him a little bit more, he would be willing to weld my after market mufflers within that price.. or may a put in a short shifter for extra change.

You just have to find that one person who will be willing to give you a 'fair' deal
Old 03-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
You would have to be really lucky to get a good price for dealers. I called almost every single dealership around my town; most of them wanted $700 for the install. This one day I asked this service manager I have a good rapport with, fed him some BS saying the performance shops are charging around $330 for an install. But I want peace of mind with getting em installed from a dealership, so how much are you gonna charge me it shouldn't be more than $350-375 due to difference in labour rate.

He was like that's correct, '' we don't charge same labour for everything we do, there are things we do at $60/hr, $80 and then of course the usual $110. '' He checked out his online software thingie to see how many billable hours would be needed to finish 3.31 to 3.73 gear swap. $400 was the amount he came up with, 3.6 hrs @ $110 plus 12% tax.. and he wrote this quote on my profile so that when I come in next time, the person charge knows what to charge. I am sure if I push him a little bit more, he would be willing to weld my after market mufflers within that price.. or may a put in a short shifter for extra change.

You just have to find that one person who will be willing to give you a 'fair' deal
I'm getting mine 650$, gears tax included. Decent? They only work on mustangs and very reputable.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm getting mine 650$, gears tax included. Decent? They only work on mustangs and very reputable.

Yep, that sounds like a perfect deal, does it include bearings too or just gears + shims/seal n stuff? Is it a dealership or a local performance shop? I got quoted the same price including taxes from a shop who sponsors a local mustang forum. He told me I could save me $100 bucks if bearings are not needed.

As per his quote, it was $260 for labor, $200 + tax for gears, and some $60-70 for seals + oil. I figured I might as well get a complete kit from AM and just pay him for the labour.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Its a performance shop call Mustang Direct. I think its just gears, fluid, shims. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!!!! I think the gears will give me the bite this car really needs!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its a performance shop call Mustang Direct. I think its just gears, fluid, shims. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!!!! I think the gears will give me the bite this car really needs!

Absolutely, you will 3.73s for sure!! Did you ask him how much was the labour in that quote? Cuz depending on how much mileage you have on your car, you might as well get bearings too for a complete piece of mind - complete kit would cost you around $300 CAD + shipping and brokerage. I live only half n hour from the border, so I just give em shipped there and just go pick em to avoid extra charges.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Absolutely, you will 3.73s for sure!! Did you ask him how much was the labour in that quote? Cuz depending on how much mileage you have on your car, you might as well get bearings too for a complete piece of mind - complete kit would cost you around $300 CAD + shipping and brokerage. I live only half n hour from the border, so I just give em shipped there and just go pick em to avoid extra charges.
Nah I didn't ask. My car has almost 18000 kms on it.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nah I didn't ask. My car has almost 18000 kms on it.

Yeah you should be good without bearings then. Make sure he does Ford Racing gears made in US- not the China made stuff that ford started producing a while ago.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah you should be good without bearings then. Make sure he does Ford Racing gears made in US- not the China made stuff that ford started producing a while ago.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
I didn't even know they were also made in China! I did specify ford racing gears only, no motive or any other brand.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Sooo..any suggestions to my original gear post ppl? Lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I completely agree with the advice your dealer gave you regarding going from 3.31s to 3.55. You won't feel much difference at all compared to going from 2.73s to 3.55 which would be pretty big. If your worried about mpg with the 3.73s then I'd say save the $$$$ and stay with the 3.31s which are pretty good anyways. I personally would go 3.73s.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I completely agree with the advice your dealer gave you regarding going from 3.31s to 3.55. You won't feel much difference at all compared to going from 2.73s to 3.55 which would be pretty big. If your worried about mpg with the 3.73s then I'd say save the $$$$ and stay with the 3.31s which are pretty good anyways. I personally would go 3.73s.

Mpg are my main concern since I drive 6/7 days on Hwys, and i still get gas every 6 days. If I were a city driver, I wouldn't have bothered too much and just gone with 3.73s. I am going to try MPT tune with shorty headers to save some cash and hopefully I won't be disappointed lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 03-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mpg are my main concern since I drive 6/7 days on Hwys, and i still get gas every 6 days. If I were a city driver, I wouldn't have bothered too much and just gone with 3.73s. I am going to try MPT tune with shorty headers to save some cash and hopefully I won't be disappointed lol

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Well I just installed some bbk headers a couple of weeks ago and to be honest other than my exhaust note changing I really don't feel a difference. That being said I have yet to upload my new tunes that include the headers because they also have the new gear ratio (3.73) that I'm installing in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

|| BlackOnBlack ||
If MPG is your main concern then just stick with 3.31s.

Going to 3.55, 3.73 or even 4.10 isn't going to make your car any faster. It may feel like it but in reality, it won't.

Going with a deeper gear also remember that it will likely introduce droning at highway/interstate speeds depending on your exhaust setup.

Going from 3.31 to 3.55 is a 7% difference, 3.31 to 3.73 is 12% difference at least numerically. In the real world, at the drag strip, you are actually losing performance by requiring a shift into 4th.

On the highway @ 60, you would looking at around a 400 rpm difference going from 3.31 to 3.73.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Then why people with 3.73 on their v6 mustangs actually run .4-.6ths faster than 3.31 or 2.73?? And shifting to 4th wont hurt you... if you know how to shift or have a tune in your auto... and yes numerically speaking it aint much of a difference but you fail to take into consideration the gears in the transmission itself.... which will multiply that difference depending on what gear you are in... correct me if I am wrong just speaking knowledge ived gathered

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Why not be adventurous and go 4.10 with Lund? You only live once right?

And did that guy really just say gears won't make you any faster? lol
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, He must mean not give you any more horsepower "faster".

Old 04-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Or possibly top speed? I hope. lol
Colby2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang