I did at lap at Daytona - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I did at lap at Daytona

Friday at the Daytona speedway Spring Turkey Rod run they did a Mustang only lap around the speedway. At one time I got up to almost 5o MPH.
It was still pretty nice to have our Mustangs being reconised as the perfect enthusiest car that fits in with Muscle cars as well as Street rods and Customs,

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Friday at the Daytona speedway Spring Turkey Rod run they did a Mustang only lap around the speedway. At one time I got up to almost 5o MPH.

It was still pretty nice to have our Mustangs being reconised as the perfect enthusiest car that fits in with Muscle cars as well as Street rods and Customs,

Ronnie

Did you stay down on the apron or did you go up on the banks? If you went up on the banks, what was that like, especially only going 50?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I don't think that Daytona lets people up on the banks. I was down there a couple years ago. Came *this close* to taking my Honda around for a lap. Lol Didn't have time though.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I don't think that Daytona lets people up on the banks. I was down there a couple years ago. Came *this close* to taking my Honda around for a lap. Lol Didn't have time though.

That would make sense, they are pretty steep. Looks like a blast just getting out there. Another benefit to living in Florida.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if you took the picture when you did on purpose or if you just got lucky, but it is perfect with the flag and the name on the wall centered in the picture.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No way up on the banks doing 50MPH

On these laps around the track they have a pace car and you can't pass and you have to stay under the line.
It is still pretty nice though. When you have about 100 or more "ONLY"Mustangs all in a line it is really something to see.
I did about six pictures and this was the best one. All of the Mustangs in front of me are in my Muscle car club as well as a few from the Daytona Mustang club. There are plenty more behind me.
This event is the Spring Turkey rod run and people come from all over the world for these Turkey Rod Run events.
The event covers the huge infield at the Daytona International Speedway and has hundreds of vendors as well as many food vendors and a car corral where people sell their street rods, Muscle cars and even just plain cars ( Not to many of these though) Th next one will be Thanksgiving Weekend and if you like custom cars and hot rods as well as Mustangs. Make your plans to come on down.
Ronnie
Old 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Sounds like you had a blast!!!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sure did but more to come

It is a three day event and yesterday (Friday) the weather was great. Today (Saturday) it is raining and tomorrow (Sunday) they are calling for really great weather. Our club B.B.Q is tomorrow and with 50 or 60 club members and great weather there it should be a lot of fun.
I didn't mention the last post that this is a four day event at Thanksgiving weekend.
Thursday (Thanksgiving day)
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Not only at the speedway but hot rods and Muscle cars all over. At the Shopping center on A1A in Ormond is a huge car show on it's own every night as well as any restaurant or Motel you go past you will see cars. They usually have over five thousand cars registered at the Turkey rod run and at night they all fill this area up pretty good.
Ronnie
Old 03-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Nice, the size of the track when you get out on it is surprising.

I had the chance to drive Michigan International Speedway a couple of summers ago. They let us get up on the banks and we were supposed to hold the speed to under 80 (some of us did sneak up over that though). The banks are really steep and even at 80+ it took effort to stay in the seat.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Nice, the size of the track when you get out on it is surprising.

I had the chance to drive Michigan International Speedway a couple of summers ago. They let us get up on the banks and we were supposed to hold the speed to under 80 (some of us did sneak up over that though). The banks are really steep and even at 80+ it took effort to stay in the seat.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Hope to be there Sunday. Will certainly stop by and say hi Ronnie. Nice shots. I recall doing this about 30 years ago during the 24 hour race. They allowed Trans-Am's to do a one lap pace lab.

Yes, I once owned a 76 Trans Am HO-455. Still one of my favorites.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Bucko

The club is having the B.B.Q. from 11 to 1 so don't eat nothing till you get there. We are right on the main road next to the Port Orange Street Rods. You will see the sign. Call me when you get there if you can't find me.

If anybody else is going to the Daytona Speedway Sunday , You are welcome to stop by and visit.
Ronnie
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I got my official lap photo

Ronnie
Old 04-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

^ That's a keeper! Cool shot!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang