Oil change help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Oil change help

Hi guys,

My car just hit 3K miles and was wondering when should I change my oil? The car still says that oil life is at 70%. Should I wait more or no?? This is my first mustang so i really dont know anything about this car.

Thanks guys
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Service manager at my dealership recommended every 5000 miles.
nd4spd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure what year you have and how much that plays into it but I have a 2013 and payed for the oil change service(mainly cause I have no time between work and school to do myself). Anyway I need to get it done every 5,000 miles.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

is a 2014
Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'd go with around every 5,000 then but I don't think it would hurt any to do every 3,000 if you wanted to, just might save you a little money in the long haul if you do every 5k instead. Just my opinion though.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Like Bucko always says, reading the owners manual will tell you a lot about your car. Especially maintenance recommendations. You find out really fast oil change places try to make money off of you for things you don't need done. I was recommended my fuel filter needed changing at 30k. I told the guy if he could find it, change it. We have lifetime fuel filters that inside out gas tanks.

You recommendation is 7500 to 10000 miles. I do mine every +5000 or when my oil life gets down to about 30%. End the end, it's up to what you feel most comfortable doing
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I'm at almost 9,000 miles on my car. Still on the original oil and filter. My dealer said when the oil life hits 25% it's time to get it changed. It's at 28% currently. I will be calling tomorrow to schedule the first service.

People don't understand that oil, filters (not Fram - they suck) and cars are made so much better today than they were 10, 20 or 30 years ago that the every 3,000 - 5,000 mile oil change is no longer needed and is simply just wasteful.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
Hi guys,

My car just hit 3K miles and was wondering when should I change my oil? The car still says that oil life is at 70%. Should I wait more or no?? This is my first mustang so i really dont know anything about this car.

Thanks guys

I changed my oil at 3k for my INITIAL oil change, I believe in a brake in period :p others may say otherwise, but it's what made me comfortable.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My first experience with engine monitoring was on my 2008 Cadillac cts, the dealer also said USE the monitor, I was concerned as it was beaten into me to change every 3k. Honestly a lot of effort has been put into making the cars as efficient as possible. What I am saying is USE the monitor.
dacm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will wait to around 6k . Just checked the oil and it looks good.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Oil is such an opinion based topic. Yes oil has advanced over the years but it honestly doesn't hurt anything to change it at 3k. I'd rather be safe than sorry especially with my engine.
CFYA2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I personally do changed at the 5,000 mile mark, this is the first vehicle that has a monitor though so I might be changing my ways too slightly.
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I am planning on going at least 5 k but will probable follow the monitoring tool and manually check the oil periodically to determine when to change it. Unless your tracking the car or putting it under really extreme conditions I would go by the factory recommendations but to each his own, at the end of the day it can't hurt to change it more aside from less use out of the oil that's already in the car.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I am planning on going at least 5 k but will probable follow the monitoring tool and manually check the oil periodically to determine when to change it. Unless your tracking the car or putting it under really extreme conditions I would go by the factory recommendations but to each his own, at the end of the day it can't hurt to change it more aside from less use out of the oil that's already in the car.
Exactly my game plan and thoughts. Sure, you might spend a little more on oil if the changes are needed but if that little bit of money insures that your engine is well oiled, well, the problems if helps prevent is worth it
Old 04-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd24 View Post
Service manager at my dealership recommended every 5000 miles.
I wish these guys would read the tech bulletins put forth by the Ford engineers. They purposely added an extra quart to the 3.7 (6 quarts verses the 5 used in the 4.0) and 8 quarts for the 5.0 to extend the oil life to 10K between changes, and this is with semi-synthetic blend that came from the factory (Boss excluded). Using full synthetic can extend the time between oil changes even further; the oil monitor however cannot detect between semi and full synthetic, so you'd have to reset the monitor and then drive an additional 25% on average.

Stay with the oil monitor; it monitors your driving habits, conditions, and time, and provides a timeframe when the oil should be changed. Following it will in no way hamper your warranty, nor affect the longentivity of your engine. The Ford engineers did this engine right.

And politely inform the service manager to read the specs on the newer Mustangs.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I wish these guys would read the tech bulletins put forth by the Ford engineers. They purposely added an extra quart to the 3.7 (6 quarts) and 5.0 ( 8 quarts) to extend the oil life to 10K between changes, and this is with semi-synthetic blemd. Using full synthetic can extend the time between oil changes even further; the oil monitor however cannot detect between semi and full synthetic.

Stay with the oil monitor; it monitors your driving habits and conditions, and provides a timeframe when the oil should be changed. Folloing it will in no way hamper your warranty, nor affect the longentivity of your engine. The Ford engineers did this engine right.

And politely inform the service manager to read the specs on the newer Mustangs.

Bucko, we have 6 quarts and I believe the V8 has 7 quarts. Oops, you did it again! Ha!
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFYA2818 View Post
Oil is such an opinion based topic. Yes oil has advanced over the years but it honestly doesn't hurt anything to change it at 3k. I'd rather be safe than sorry especially with my engine.
If you do this (due to old oil change habits), then switch to non synthetic. You are totally wasting money on semi and full synthetic oil costs if your going to dump it at 3K.

Ford added an extra quart to the 3.7 and 5.0, for the reasons of oil change extension. Google it. The 3.7 takes 6 quarts, the 5.0 8 quarts. You can go up to 10K with semi synthetic, and longer with full, but the oil monitor does not know what type of oil was used, so it will base the change on driving conditions (stop and go, time, etc), up to 10K.

At the very least, we should stop promoting oil changes to folks that are getting into the maintence of their cars for the first time. Many are using these forums to learn, as they just made their first purchase, and want to do their own maintenance. Years ago, engine tolerances were much different then they are today, and oil was non synthetic for the most part.

Simply put, you are wasting your money on early oil changing methods. Unless you track the car (i.e. weekend strip runs or tracking), there is no need for 3K oil changes anymore.

If you choose to toss money away, it's yours to do so, but promoting early oil changes has no merit on todays engines and oil/oil filters.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Bucko, we have 6 quarts and I believe the V8 has 7 quarts. Oops, you did it again! Ha!
No, I did not! Google it. The engineers added a deep sump oil pan. If you add 6 quarts, check it, it may show slightly low. If you stay with the 6 quarts, you'll be fine, but I always add until the dip stick shows full....and I have an oil cooler. That increases mine a bit.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, I did not. Google it. Owners manuals (first editions) are show 6 quarts for 3.7, 8 quarts for 5.0

I just checked the 3rd edition manual for 2012, 6 for the 3.7, 8 for the 5.0.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I just checked the 3rd edition manual for 2012, 6 for the 3.7, 8 for the 5.0.
I'm trying to find the site that has the Ford engineering comments as to them "adding a deeper sump" to extend oil change intervals. I know the older 4.0 V6 was 5 quarts, and the early publications mentioned 6 quarts for the 3.7, but I read somewhere it holds more. I'm still looking for it. Here is one however that mentions the extended oil changing specs (page 2):

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...v6-engine.html

Here's the excerpt from this article:

"And, speaking of oil, you won't have to reach for the left-front-mounted oil filter or drain the sump of the die-cast deep-sump aluminum oil pan of its 5W-20 oil for 10,000 miles, a 33-percent improvement over the usual 7,500-mile interval. This is an advantage brought about by continuous analysis of driving cycles (Ford says almost all of its engines will be 10,000-milers by 2012)".

Until I find the other link, I changed the capacity to 6 for the 3.7
Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm trying to find the site that has the Ford engineering comments as to them "adding a deeper sump" to extend oil change intervals. I know the older 4.0 V6 was 5 quarts, and the early publications mentioned 6 quarts for the 3.7, but I believe it holds more. I'm still looking for it. Here is one however that mentions the extended oil changing specs (page 2):

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...v6-engine.html

Here's the excerpt from this article:

"And, speaking of oil, you won't have to reach for the left-front-mounted oil filter or drain the sump of the die-cast deep-sump aluminum oil pan of its 5W-20 oil for 10,000 miles, a 33-percent improvement over the usual 7,500-mile interval. This is an advantage brought about by continuous analysis of driving cycles (Ford says almost all of its engines will be 10,000-milers by 2012)".

Until I find the other link, I changed the capacity to 6 for the 3.7

Don't forget about changing your first post for now also.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Don't forget about changing your first post for now also.
Done.

While I'm on the bandwagon for oil myths, you are not forced to use only 5w-20 in your 3.7 or 5.0. In Europe, 5w-20 is not sold, and the vehicles that get exported there are filled with 5w-30. It is getting harder to find 5w-20 in my area (central Florida).

Ford and other auto manufacturers recommend 5w-20 in the U.S. to help with their CAFE ratings for the required mass fuel economy they must meet.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Ranger, my vote is for changing it now...but that is old school. I still recomend doing the first one early although it may only be for piece of mind. fwiw my nice day toy 6K per year gets full synthetic every 9 months. Remember the additives also break down over time and by my schedule it is 4 changes in 3 yrs instead of the 3 that Ford suggests. Yyour dealer may suggest more often but that is for another reason.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
oh yeah, 6qts is full to the line in my car
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
At the very least, we should stop promoting oil changes to folks that are getting into the maintence of their cars for the first time. Many are using these forums to learn, as they just made their first purchase, and want to do their own maintenance. Years ago, engine tolerances were much different then they are today, and oil was non synthetic for the most part.

Simply put, you are wasting your money on early oil changing methods. Unless you track the car (i.e. weekend strip runs or tracking), there is no need for 3K oil changes anymore.

If you choose to toss money away, it's yours to do so, but promoting early oil changes has no merit on todays engines and oil/oil filters.

Nothing like proving my point omit being an OPINION on when to change your oil.
CFYA2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFYA2818 View Post

Nothing like proving my point omit being an OPINION on when to change your oil.
Oil topics get me going...weak point for me. I'll back off, as It is not my intent to discourage opinions on this forum.

To those that are entering the maintenance part of this great hobby, I would mention to take advantage of the great strides that have been made to engine design, assembly, and their tolorences. Take advantage of the oil qualities of today.

But ultimately, do some homework, and decide for yourself as to what maintenance schedule best benefits you.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Bucko, I wasn't going to chime and earlier because I could't list a source (simply don't remember where I read it) but I too remember reading how the engineers did the new oil tank design thus increasing oil life to the 10K mile mark.

As for using 5w-20 vs 5w-30 I haven't done that switch personally. The guy I bought my stang from actually said he ran 5w-30 through it once just as a test and personally felt that overall performance of the car was a little sluggish and switched back to 5w-20.

That was his opinion and I haven't done anything personally to form my own but figured I would share that anyways.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Interesting. On another forum which I'll keep nameless (they hate oil threads and end up closing them), a Ford tech from Texas made all kinds of statements on how anything but 5w-20 would mess up the Ti-VCT (variable cam timing). Had lots of folks believing him and scared to run any other type of oil. Then we started calling him out so to speak. Asked him for any sort of documented proof of this statement. He could only quote what was recommended in the owners manual, which we researched and found pertains to Ford's requirement to meet the stringent CAFE sales for fuel economy statdards. Yes, the 5w-20 will net you some minute gains in fuel economy, and when added up accross the board for Ford vehicles on the road, the numbers present themselves very good on paper.
However, we continued the research and found that 5w-30 is not sold in England, nor other European countries, and so for the Ford vehicles that are exported there, the manuals state to use 5w-30. The theory (another silly oil myth) of certain oil viscosities harming an engine are passed along, and like a snow ball, get bigger and bigger.

When we presented this information to the thread (documented proof), he vanished, and the thread was closed. Go figure.

Stay here. We keep 'em clean (posts), and we learn from the responses.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang