87, 89, or 93 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
87, 89, or 93

I always thought that if you run premium gas in a car that is meant to run on regular you were just wasting your money. Well it turns out I was wrong. With 87 octane my bone stock 2013 auto ran 9.73 in the 1/8th mile. A few weeks had past and I decided to try premium and just see what would happen. The car picked up almost 3 tenths! Quickest run of 9.44. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this or not. Also tested with mid grade and ran 9.50s for the record. The best overall gas mileage was with mid grade. Just seeing if anyone else has tried this
Thanks
CFYA2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 PM   #2

Region: Florida
Gas does make a difference, especially when your tuned.
I run 93 with my tune.
My old car was a genesis and I actually lost power running 93 because the car was tuned stock for 87. It was a difference in only 4hp so it's hard to see how you dropped a tenth of a second.

IMO you probably noticed time difference due to weather or track prep rather then gas.

I would run 93 as it burns better
2011 5.0 --JLT, Bama tune, steeda WP pulley, tracklight 18s, stallion LCAs, stallion pan hard bar, cat-resignator delete, X pipe, magnaflow mufflers, Eibach springs, 3D carbon spoiler, barton SS
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
This is a good question that I'm also wondering about.

I have a stock 2011 v6, I'm used to only being able to use one type of fuel, but it seems that with the newer stangs you can pick which you like best for your situation.

I plan on getting a bamma tuner soon from AM, but currently, as is, could I run 93 without damaging anything?
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Track prep would be irrelevant because my mustang refuses to spin the tires... Anywhere it's pretty funny actually but the weather was pretty close to the same. I'm an avid racer all of the time was made up in the 60' and Dino sheets show 7+ more horse power in the lower rpms just thought I'd make a post and get others opinions.
CFYA2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I know that on come of the American Muscles product pages they do the dyno of the stock and then with the performance parts added on.

I can't remember the exact part pages (perhaps the CAI's) but they mentioned how they saw similar gains to your findings in HP just by changing the gas.
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang