Advice for exhaust set up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Advice for exhaust set up

Hey everyone, I already have the universal magnaflow axlebacks(almost identical to the street series) on my '13 V6. I'm looking to change the sound some. I was thinking of getting shorty headers and and off-road x pipe. From what I understand, the o/r x pipe will make it louder and give it some rasp, while the shorties will deepen the tone. Is this correct? How does this set up sound? I'm open to suggestions.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Get Shorty headers and O/R Hpipe from lethal. And add resonators. It will be loud and deep and non raspy at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. But is there anything that doesn't require a tune? I know the shorties don't, but I saw the h pipe does.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
You can do Shorty headers BBK High flow catted xpipe and large 22 inch resonators on the OTA pipes then smaller race bullets and tips for axlebacks. Gna deep rasp free and check engine light free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Alright sounds good! How loud are the x pipes exactly. Some of the reviews make me a bit nervous because they say that they are LOUD. My magnaflows are fairly quiet. I want a good bit louder but I don't want to wake the whole neighborhood up. Feel me?
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Resonators suck. Especially that length. Fart can city.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Resonators suck. Especially that length. Fart can city.
Okay well I definitely don't want that. Should I just suck it up and get the tuner and then get an o/r x or h pipe?
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular
 
Cise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 503
Going off of Charlie santos videos he is most definitely not in fart can city
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
I'm not trying to point him out, but I've followed his advice, and it's had me spending double on exhaust than what I should have.

I had resonators on a roush setup. Sounded like fart can city. Had them on my flows, same story. If you do get resonators, get a 16 or 14 inch. 22 takes too much away from it. These motors are raspy to begin with.

And after all this triple spending on simple exhaust work, I've learned to embrace the rasp, it's nice unless you go X pipe, in that case, high flow cats. A good friend of mine has the same resonators I do, and he actually wants them off his off road H pipe because it tames too much and causes far more drone. Exhaust is personal preference, but with o/r pipes, one this is certain, they are loud and raspy, the H or pro chamber help but deleting cats causes 3k hiss of metal. High flow cats, no so much.

Research your research is all im saying guys.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
He wants no rasp at all. That's why I say get larger resonators. If he wants some rasp them get race bullet sized. Small 12 inch ones. You got idk what size resonators and u had a stock exhaust I saw ur video. Why would u put that large resonators on a stock exhaust minus axlebacks? Roush and resonators are for a car that has high flow cats or off road setup. Ask Kona the resonators I specifically told him to get worked great and he loves it. You can tame as much rasp as you want with the appropriate size resonators. If u just get whatever u want then deal with the whatever exhaust note it comes with. Just gotta think about it. If u have a super raspy muffler like roush on a off road setup ur gna want a big resonator. If u have borla ATAKs get a medium resonators they don't need much taming. Just gotta think of how much rasp is being made and how much of it u want to get rid of. I pretty much pioneered the resonators on here. I've gone through 6 exhaust setups so I have a fair amount of knowledge and experience that I've only ever tried to help another with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Bbk shorty headers have deepened the tone of my Roush AB. When I put 22" glass packs with the stock Mani's and the Roush it made it way too quiet, IMO it didn't sound bad at all, just way too quiet. They came off the next day. The BBK shorties took the rasp off completely. I personally don't have a problem with some rasp, it gives it that race car sound at wot, which I kinda miss, but the shorties at least left the note nice and LOUD. All in all I'm glad I got them, option b was LTS and IMO sound generally like crap on the 3.7s and need resonators as charlie points out.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Well I've did a little research to see how much all of this would cost me. I looked at a few different combinations of shorty headers, mid pipes, and then tuners if necessary. My cheapest option came out to be the shorty headers with a catted x pipe. I'm not trying to be cheap, but money is an issue. So how would that combo sound with my magnaflows?

On the other hand, I might be able to get my hands on a tuner for half the price that they usually go for from a guy who's selling locally. So if that happens, I guess my options open up. It's not that I'm against getting a tuner, I'm just more into the looks/sound of the car rather than gaining as much power as I can.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
He wants no rasp at all. That's why I say get larger resonators. If he wants some rasp them get race bullet sized. Small 12 inch ones. You got idk what size resonators and u had a stock exhaust I saw ur video. Why would u put that large resonators on a stock exhaust minus axlebacks? Roush and resonators are for a car that has high flow cats or off road setup. Ask Kona the resonators I specifically told him to get worked great and he loves it. You can tame as much rasp as you want with the appropriate size resonators. If u just get whatever u want then deal with the whatever exhaust note it comes with. Just gotta think about it. If u have a super raspy muffler like roush on a off road setup ur gna want a big resonator. If u have borla ATAKs get a medium resonators they don't need much taming. Just gotta think of how much rasp is being made and how much of it u want to get rid of. I pretty much pioneered the resonators on here. I've gone through 6 exhaust setups so I have a fair amount of knowledge and experience that I've only ever tried to help another with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Calm down simba, I followed your advice on 18" resonators. So I bought them. I wasn't pleased with the end result. As you stated, think about it but to a inexperienced buyer, he's all we got before pulling the trigger and welding them up. For axlebacks go smaller, for full out setups go medium. There is no reason for an 18" though, it delivers no tone and takes so much away from the car. To the OP, think before you buy or join us in the endless and pricey side of research and development.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Bbk shorty headers have deepened the tone of my Roush AB. When I put 22" glass packs with the stock Mani's and the Roush it made it way too quiet, IMO it didn't sound bad at all, just way too quiet. They came off the next day. The BBK shorties took the rasp off completely. I personally don't have a problem with some rasp, it gives it that race car sound at wot, which I kinda miss, but the shorties at least left the note nice and LOUD. All in all I'm glad I got them, option b was LTS and IMO sound generally like crap on the 3.7s and need resonators as charlie points out.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.

+1 to the resonator too big club :p
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
Well I've did a little research to see how much all of this would cost me. I looked at a few different combinations of shorty headers, mid pipes, and then tuners if necessary. My cheapest option came out to be the shorty headers with a catted x pipe. I'm not trying to be cheap, but money is an issue. So how would that combo sound with my magnaflows?

On the other hand, I might be able to get my hands on a tuner for half the price that they usually go for from a guy who's selling locally. So if that happens, I guess my options open up. It's not that I'm against getting a tuner, I'm just more into the looks/sound of the car rather than gaining as much power as I can.

As I've found out, you'll have to remarry the tuner or unlock it for $150. Then buy the tune for life program. You're better off buying a new tuner unless this guy sells it to you for $75 and below.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
From what the guy told me it is already unlocked. I think I would just have to bu the tune.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
If its locked it's not worth it. If u locked get it for 200. That's the most I'd pay. I would warn you to stay away from bama but u can Google why

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
Well I've did a little research to see how much all of this would cost me. I looked at a few different combinations of shorty headers, mid pipes, and then tuners if necessary. My cheapest option came out to be the shorty headers with a catted x pipe. I'm not trying to be cheap, but money is an issue. So how would that combo sound with my magnaflows?

On the other hand, I might be able to get my hands on a tuner for half the price that they usually go for from a guy who's selling locally. So if that happens, I guess my options open up. It's not that I'm against getting a tuner, I'm just more into the looks/sound of the car rather than gaining as much power as I can.
Well if you're short on money and want a X pipe, why go with the full on catted X? Get an after-cat X (FRPP) and use that extra cash towards a tuner.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
If its locked it's not worth it. If u locked get it for 200. That's the most I'd pay. I would warn you to stay away from bama but u can Google why

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
He's selling it for $200. If I were to get an MPT tune, would that unlock it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Well if you're short on money and want a X pipe, why go with the full on catted X? Get an after-cat X (FRPP) and use that extra cash towards a tuner.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
And I'm looking for a noticeable increase in the volume, would I get that from the X pipe you mentioned? Is it that cut and clamp x pipe that they have on american muscle?
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
If its locked it's not worth it. If u locked get it for 200. That's the most I'd pay. I would warn you to stay away from bama but u can Google why

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Who would you suggest? I'm currently with Bama. I need a safe provider and if possible tunes for life would be a plus.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
If the tuner is unlocked for $200...am I dumb for not already scooping it up? lol
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
He's selling it for $200. If I were to get an MPT tune, would that unlock it?

And I'm looking for a noticeable increase in the volume, would I get that from the X pipe you mentioned? Is it that cut and clamp x pipe that they have on american muscle?
For starters: you NEED to make sure its unlocked. Do a conditional deal with that person who's selling it.. Be like you gotta check it first. Since you already have bama, load one of their tunes onto it and see if it works.

As for tunes for life- that's with almost every other tuning out there. They will update your tune for free for most bolt on parts (shorties, throttle bodies, exhaust systems etc..) UNLESS you're going nitrous/forced induction.

Yep I was talking about the cut n clamp x pipe from AM. It will add some upper end torque (4200+ rpms), and will complement your shorties' low end torque. Shorties will also help with taking away the rasp a bit. In nut shell, shorties with either H or X are best possible sound adders u can have.


|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
For starters: you NEED to make sure its unlocked. Do a conditional deal with that person who's selling it.. Be like you gotta check it first. Since you already have bama, load one of their tunes onto it and see if it works.

As for tunes for life- that's with almost every other tuning out there. They will update your tune for free for most bolt on parts (shorties, throttle bodies, exhaust systems etc..) UNLESS you're going nitrous/forced induction.

Yep I was talking about the cut n clamp x pipe from AM. It will add some upper end torque (4200+ rpms), and will complement your shorties' low end torque. Shorties will also help with taking away the rasp a bit. In nut shell, shorties with either H or X are best possible sound adders u can have.


|| BlackOnBlack ||
Sorry two posts in one lol

Connor- get MPT for 75 bucks. And as I mentioned before, make sure the tuner is unlocked. Google how can you check the tuner itself if its locked to a vehicle or not. I'm sure there will be some information on it.

Fast Ford- Tunes for life is available with almost every other tuning company out there. It just depends how you 'advertise' it. They will update your tune for free for most bolt on parts (shorties, throttle bodies, exhaust systems etc..) UNLESS you're going nitrous/forced induction.


|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Who would you suggest? I'm currently with Bama. I need a safe provider and if possible tunes for life would be a plus.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
MPT. And if money is not an issue, go AED for 200 bucks. They will updates your tunes for free.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Sorry two posts in one lol

Connor- get MPT for 75 bucks. And as I mentioned before, make sure the tuner is unlocked. Google how can you check the tuner itself if its locked to a vehicle or not. I'm sure there will be some information on it.

Fast Ford- Tunes for life is available with almost every other tuning company out there. It just depends how you 'advertise' it. They will update your tune for free for most bolt on parts (shorties, throttle bodies, exhaust systems etc..) UNLESS you're going nitrous/forced induction.


|| BlackOnBlack ||
Lots of people saying MPT, I was just on their site and I can get 3 tunes for 150. How reliable are they, do you know? I might just have to pull out the Visa again. Never heard of Aed??? Reputable?

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Lots of people saying MPT, I was just on their site and I can get 3 tunes for 150. How reliable are they, do you know? I might just have to pull out the Visa again. Never heard of Aed??? Reputable?

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
I have seen tons of people of ppl on this forum using MPT, and have very rarely heard anything bad about it. AED is pretty sick too; I doubt if they tune V6? I heard it was mostly GTs.

All in all, LUND would be much better than MPT if you have extra cash. There were a few threads couple weeks ago comparing MPT with LUND and some other company.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
For starters: you NEED to make sure its unlocked. Do a conditional deal with that person who's selling it.. Be like you gotta check it first. Since you already have bama, load one of their tunes onto it and see if it works.

As for tunes for life- that's with almost every other tuning out there. They will update your tune for free for most bolt on parts (shorties, throttle bodies, exhaust systems etc..) UNLESS you're going nitrous/forced induction.

Yep I was talking about the cut n clamp x pipe from AM. It will add some upper end torque (4200+ rpms), and will complement your shorties' low end torque. Shorties will also help with taking away the rasp a bit. In nut shell, shorties with either H or X are best possible sound adders u can have.


|| BlackOnBlack ||
Okay I called Bama and they told me how to check to see if it's locked or not(locked and "married" are the same thing, right?)

And how will the cut and clamp x effect the sound in comparison to an o/r x or a catted x? I haven't done tons of research(yet), but from the reviews on AM it seems like people are saying the latter are really loud, whereas the cut and clamp makes the tone nice while not increasing the volume much. Again, I'm looking for a significant increase in sound. So if the cut and clamp doesn't add that I'd rather just spend the extra money on an o/r or catted x.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
If its locked it's not worth it. If u locked get it for 200. That's the most I'd pay. I would warn you to stay away from bama but u can Google why

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I will say though if you're starting to mod the car, get bama. Once everything is done go MPT. They are a better tune company, for example the shifts and they have a 6 month tweak period. After my exhaust setup is complete, I'll be making the switch.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Also MPT wants $75 a tune and $125 for ghost cams.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
Okay I called Bama and they told me how to check to see if it's locked or not(locked and "married" are the same thing, right?)

And how will the cut and clamp x effect the sound in comparison to an o/r x or a catted x? I haven't done tons of research(yet), but from the reviews on AM it seems like people are saying the latter are really loud, whereas the cut and clamp makes the tone nice while not increasing the volume much. Again, I'm looking for a significant increase in sound. So if the cut and clamp doesn't add that I'd rather just spend the extra money on an o/r or catted x.
The cut and clamp would only be 'comparatively' louder than your current mid pipe, while the catted version would be next step forward since the cats that come with it are high flowing (usually, depending on the manufacturer). And then of course the O/R x pipe; it would be pretty damn loud since it would take out the cats from your car.

Now everybody's taste/definition of 'loud' exhaust is different. What I think is loud/what I want could be too mellow for your taste. For example the magnaflows.

Now the other option to make it 'really loud' as you suggested you want, get rid of your magnaflows, go straight pipe.. using glasspacks as your mid muffler design. I believe they will chew out a bit of drone you will get from going straight pipe/no muffler design. - Roush and Magnaflow competition mufflers are examples of it.
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
Okay I called Bama and they told me how to check to see if it's locked or not(locked and "married" are the same thing, right?)

And how will the cut and clamp x effect the sound in comparison to an o/r x or a catted x? I haven't done tons of research(yet), but from the reviews on AM it seems like people are saying the latter are really loud, whereas the cut and clamp makes the tone nice while not increasing the volume much. Again, I'm looking for a significant increase in sound. So if the cut and clamp doesn't add that I'd rather just spend the extra money on an o/r or catted x.
All I can say is do a TON of research before you buy anything!!! I ocd for 4 months watching countless hours of video and reading lots of reviews! Just as an example, when I started to research exhausts I knew I wanted loud so I narrowed it down to a few choices and did a ton of homework on each one. In the end it came down to Borla and Roush for me but I was just starting my modding adventure. I went with Roush because they were 300$ cheaper and it allowed me to pick up a painted Gt 500 spoiler and the Roush AB for the price of the Borla Atak. I love my Roush especially with the shorties but that doesn't say I won't go after a set of Borla down the line. Just remember get what YOU want and don't let anyone push you off of it. You will hear ......."those are loud and obnoxious, blah blah blah don't let it discourage you. No matter what you chose and what set up you go with In the end its your ride and $$$ and as long as your happy with it that's all that counts!

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I will say though if you're starting to mod the car, get bama. Once everything is done go MPT. They are a better tune company, for example the shifts and they have a 6 month tweak period. After my exhaust setup is complete, I'll be making the switch.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Also MPT wants $75 a tune and $125 for ghost cams.
That's some good advice! I'll probably order some mpt tunes later this spring. +1 White.

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siber Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
Okay I called Bama and they told me how to check to see if it's locked or not(locked and "married" are the same thing, right?)

And how will the cut and clamp x effect the sound in comparison to an o/r x or a catted x? I haven't done tons of research(yet), but from the reviews on AM it seems like people are saying the latter are really loud, whereas the cut and clamp makes the tone nice while not increasing the volume much. Again, I'm looking for a significant increase in sound. So if the cut and clamp doesn't add that I'd rather just spend the extra money on an o/r or catted x.
The Cut and Clamp was the first Mod done to my Exhaust, it gets a little louder but smooths out the sound more than anything, it also gives more torque through the whole power band with it more noticed above 3000 RPM. As for putting high flows on I kept my stock Cats and resonators, unless you are going F/I the stock Cats flow pretty good, and I don't really want to pay a fine for removing them, since I would get caught.
This is BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe and Borla Touring A/B, probably sound pretty close to yours if you went the route of the Ford X and Shorties.
__________________
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Well after thinking about it I'm ruling out the o/r x pipe. I don't think I would want something that loud. That leaves me with the catted x and cut and clamp x.

My exhaust doesn't have much to it at idle, would the cut and clamp x add anything to that? I may wind up going with that one. The more I think about it, I don't want something too loud, and even the catted x may be more than I'm looking for.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
bazinga11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Burbs
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
Well after thinking about it I'm ruling out the o/r x pipe. I don't think I would want something that loud. That leaves me with the catted x and cut and clamp x.

My exhaust doesn't have much to it at idle, would the cut and clamp x add anything to that? I may wind up going with that one. The more I think about it, I don't want something too loud, and even the catted x may be more than I'm looking for.
Check out prochamber mid pipes. I was looking into that too, since I wanted a deeper-than-oem exhaust note but without going too over the board with $$$. I had a thread on it, search 'prochamber' on this v6 forum. I found it pretty knowledgeable at the end of the day.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siber Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
Well after thinking about it I'm ruling out the o/r x pipe. I don't think I would want something that loud. That leaves me with the catted x and cut and clamp x.

My exhaust doesn't have much to it at idle, would the cut and clamp x add anything to that? I may wind up going with that one. The more I think about it, I don't want something too loud, and even the catted x may be more than I'm looking for.
If you go the Cut and Clamp X you will still be using the Stock Cats and Resonators, you just get rid if the Hybrid X/H part of you stock pipe. As for Idle sound, if you go with the Shorties and and the FRPP X you do have a lot better sound at idle. Can't tell you with the whole stock mid pipe in since I had the X-Pipe first. Truthfully it has a good note with the Stock Manual trans Mufflers on it with the Headers and FRPP X.
__________________
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting rid of my side exhaust set up SaturnMan8227 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 12 08-15-2010 08:27 PM
1997 V6 exhaust set ups whitev6stang03 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 3 07-30-2006 10:32 PM
desire advice... stock investment type advice... dark The Bar 4 04-23-2006 07:07 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:49 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.