New exhaust system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Region: Texas
New exhaust system

Looking to upgrade my exhaust system on my 2011 Mustang V6, but don't want to lose much of my fuel efficiency. Thinking of doing shorty headers & cat - back.

What's the best setup for improving performance, but not losing fuel efficiency? Will changing rear gears help as well?

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Mustang Evolution mobile app
tobi1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've been doing a ton of research on this as well because I am looking at getting exhaust fairly soon. A few points to consider:

1. Best bang for your buck is a axleback as there is little to no performance increases over a catback vs. an axleback (basically doing just for sound). At least that is what I've read on here so far and have not seen any dyno or other evidence of gains from a catback.
2. As long as you get exhaust that is made for your car it won't hurt fuel economy (generally helps it). Rear gears will hurt your MPG's.
3. Any reputable exhaust will give similar gains, it all comes down to the kind of sound you want. I'm leaning towards magnaflow but its all personal preference.

Also there was a thread on here where a sponsor was building a turbo kit and said they used the stock manifolds instead of shorties b/c the stock manifolds flow so well. So I wouldn't expect a ton out of shorty headers although LT's are generally worth it. Although to get the best results you would probable want a tune as well.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Catbacks offer better performance when coupled with a tune and an intake. More air in, more air out, more efficient engine. But keep in mind, performance generally comes at a price of fuel economy. But when mods are grouped together you'll see better net gains than just an intake. With no tune and intake I saw a drop in mpg, with tune and exhaust, I sit about 32 hwy 19 city. It's all in driving habits too.

2.73 gear is your lowest gear for our v6. Best for fuel efficiency
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Also there was a thread on here where a sponsor was building a turbo kit and said they used the stock manifolds instead of shorties b/c the stock manifolds flow so well. So I wouldn't expect a ton out of shorty headers although LT's are generally worth it. Although to get the best results you would probable want a tune as well.
The shorties will give you a deeper sound if that is what you are looking for. The stock headers do flow well but if you want the deeper sound go with the shorties.

As for long tubes depending on the state you may not be able to get them. (ie. California) Usually LTs will increase high end torque while shorties will increase low end torque. With LTs you also might have clearance problems and you would also have to change out your midpipe for sure. The shorties fit with stock mid pipe and you won't have to change it out and can do so later down the road.

With the mid pipes though you will have to decide if you want offroad "no cats" or catted (probably with high flow cats compared to stock) and between x pipe or h pipe. Most go with the x pipe but you will have a more noticeable rasp if you do decide to go with the x pipe.

With gears as others have stated you will have a noticable decrease in mpg. But you will have better performance. The performance package has 3.31 gears which isn't too bad of a hit on mpg. You may want to go 3.73 however.

With a cold air intake you may see changes in mpg +/- depending but you will get more sound from your engine. The stock air box is pretty effective as is and you may want to spend that extra money on a tune, gears,exhaust parts, or one piece aluminum driveshaft. With the driveshaft you will be able to remove the speed limiter so you can reach a higher top speed than a soccer mom's minivan but this will require a tune. Gears also require a tune and very likely a professional install is best. The driveshaft may be something you want to consider down the road as it will be rated for higher speeds and also reduce rotational mass. I haven't seen anyone relating the driveshaft change to mpg increases but I'm assuming it will only help.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust