Car relearn and bama tuner question. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Car relearn and bama tuner question.

Okay, so am I crazy or is there something going on with the cars re learn. Since I've bought my SCT bama tuner I've noticed every time I load up a tune the car feels great for a couple of days, throttle response, power ect, but then feels like it goes back to a stock setting? Am I crazy? Anyone else notice this?

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Okay, so am I crazy or is there something going on with the cars re learn. Since I've bought my SCT bama tuner I've noticed every time I load up a tune the car feels great for a couple of days, throttle response, power ect, but then feels like it goes back to a stock setting? Am I crazy? Anyone else notice this?

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace,Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB.
I guess it might have something to do with quality of the fuel you're using, traction/road conditions and climate. Try getting your fuel from a different station and see if that makes any difference. In the past when ever I have gotten fuel from this shell across the border, I felt my car wasn't as responsive above 3000 rpms as compared to when I got gas from Fred Meyers. Could be a bad batch?

The adaptive learning thing is usually for automatics - which shifting points n stuff imo.. But I might be wrong.

I'm in the same boat. Mine used to be a beast right after I pressed the paddle 2/3 gear at 2700-3000rpms. Not as responsive now.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I thought it was also the gas, so I switched up almost every time but still happens. The air right now is still cool and has been pretty consistent over the past couple of weeks. Every time I change tunes 87,91,93 it feels like a beast for a day or two but losses its beast like feeling pretty quickly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought it was also the gas, so I switched up almost every time but still happens. The air right now is still cool and has been pretty consistent over the past couple of weeks. Every time I change tunes 87,91,93 it feels like a beast for a day or two but losses its beast like feeling pretty quickly.

My suggestion would be spend $75 and get MPT. Explain to them what exactly you want and what you've been going through.

That's what I'm going to do sooner than later. Let me know how it goes.

PS: before you do that, try this: take out negative terminal of your battery for about an hour and see how your car behaves. As in if it stays a beast for longer, or goes to stock like response after a few days. It will tell ya if the tune is at fault.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
My suggestion would be spend $75 and get MPT. Explain to them what exactly you want and what you've been going through.

That's what I'm going to do sooner than later. Let me know how it goes.

PS: before you do that, try this: take out negative terminal of your battery for about an hour and see how your car behaves. As in if it stays a beast for longer, or goes to stock like response after a few days. It will tell ya if the tune is at fault.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
I believe you can also go in the fuse box and pull the middle 15 fuse for about 15 minutes and it will do the same thing. But you won't have to reset the clock or any of that.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor323 View Post
I believe you can also go in the fuse box and pull the middle 15 fuse for about 15 minutes and it will do the same thing. But you won't have to reset the clock or any of that.
Yep that's the fuse number 47 to make it relearn

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Yep that's the fuse number 47 to make it relearn

|| BlackOnBlack ||
That only works on the adaptive shifting for the automatics, not the stick.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
That only works on the adaptive shifting for the automatics, not the stick.
Ah okay, my mistake.
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe remove the negative terminal for about 30 mins anyway to see if it makes a difference. Wouldn't hurt to experiment I guess haha

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hey

This is very odd to say the least. Once the tune is installed on the car, the parameters should stay consistent giving you the same performance no matter how much time passes.

Some likely culprits would normally be air temperature or fuel quality, but as stated in a later thread that doesn't seem to be the case. Some minor things can change over time such as fuel trims, but nothing that should have a major effect on the car.

When you have a chance give Bama a call, they can walk you through a data log and see exactly what parameters are causing this change, and make adjustments accordingly. I'm confident they can get to the bottom of it in a timely manner.

I hope this helps, and if I can be any further assistance feel free to get back in touch.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Hey

This is very odd to say the least. Once the tune is installed on the car, the parameters should stay consistent giving you the same performance no matter how much time passes.

Some likely culprits would normally be air temperature or fuel quality, but as stated in a later thread that doesn't seem to be the case. Some minor things can change over time such as fuel trims, but nothing that should have a major effect on the car.

When you have a chance give Bama a call, they can walk you through a data log and see exactly what parameters are causing this change, and make adjustments accordingly. I'm confident they can get to the bottom of it in a timely manner.

I hope this helps, and if I can be any further assistance feel free to get back in touch.

-Dan
OK I will, thanks Dan.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Was there a resolution to this? Might be nice to know for someone who has a similar issue.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Was there a resolution to this? Might be nice to know for someone who has a similar issue.
I'm going to call them this week. I'll post my findings.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post

Quote:
I'm going to call them this week. I'll post my findings.

I called BAMA couple days ago; they said tune shouldnt be the problem since its a software file that doesn't change/stays same on your ecu. However, he asked me to data log the tune and send it over to them to see what's going on. I just have been a lazy bum; too much work to download the thing from SCT website and then connect my tuner loll

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yeah, just checking. When I've researched stuff on this site see a lot of issue threads talk about issues, but never have the resolution. Its nice to see what fixed the issue for someone down the road.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I called BAMA couple days ago; they said tune shouldnt be the problem since its a software file that doesn't change/stays same on your ecu. However, he asked me to data log the tune and send it over to them to see what's going on. I just have been a lazy bum; too much work to download the thing from SCT website and then connect my tuner loll

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Lol, me too. Its hard to find the time but I'll try this week to do a data log. But my car goes into the shop this Thursday for 3.73s and my kids have hockey this week so I'll try my best! Please of anyone else has some input it would be much appreciated!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol, me too. Its hard to find the time but I'll try this week to do a data log. But my car goes into the shop this Thursday for 3.73s and my kids have hockey this week so I'll try my best! Please of anyone else has some input it would be much appreciated!

Here's what I did: took out the negative terminal while I was putting the short shifter in. Tbh, it did feel slightly quicker than before. I know the relearn feature is only for automatics, it did help me somehow. Could be a change in air fuel ratio mix? Idk it did work though. Give it a try and see how your car behaves.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here's what I did: took out the negative terminal while I was putting the short shifter in. Tbh, it did feel slightly quicker than before. I know the relearn feature is only for automatics, it did help me somehow. Could be a change in air fuel ratio mix? Idk it did work though. Give it a try and see how your car behaves.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
OK thanks. I just loaded the 93 race last night and the car felt great, like amazingly great! I'll see how it is after tomorrow and if it feels not as good I'll pull the neg cable and try that.......maybe I'm just crazy idk. Lol. I'll post tomorrow night after work. But from what someone posted it shouldn't relearn. Confused. Maybe like Dan stated its the air temp change but its been relatively consistent, cool and low humidity. Fuel used was shell 93.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

How's your 93 doing? Is it still pulling hard like it did on day 1?

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Was there ever any resolution to this? I'm having a similar problem. Power is awesome for the first couple days after I load the bama tune then a few days later its slowwwww. I know im not imagining it because its quite a noticeable difference.
mikeygaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Was there ever any resolution to this? I'm having a similar problem. Power is awesome for the first couple days after I load the bama tune then a few days later its slowwwww. I know im not imagining it because its quite a noticeable difference.
Is your automatic or manual? I received my updated tune yesterday, will load it and see how it behaves. Based on my data log, I was told I had fueling issues by 10%.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is your automatic or manual? I received my updated tune yesterday, will load it and see how it behaves. Based on my data log, I was told I had fueling issues by 10%.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Mines automatic. So the new tune they are sending you is supposed to fix the fuel issue? I think I need to call bama because im having problems with my shift points also.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah call BAMA, but to save you the time: ask em to send you datalog parameters so that your tune is exactly what you want

|| BlackOnBlack ||

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I haven't uploaded my tune yet; its been pissing rain lately.. Can't do a proper test

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah call BAMA, but to save you the time: ask em to send you datalog parameters so that your tune is exactly what you want

|| BlackOnBlack ||

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

I haven't uploaded my tune yet; its been pissing rain lately.. Can't do a proper test

|| BlackOnBlack ||

Thanks man, appreciate the help. Let me know how the new tune works out for you. I'm calling them now.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Update: Just got off the phone with Bama, they said they have been getting a lot of people calling in saying they feel like their tunes disappear. They are sending me a new batch of tunes that fixed this issue. I asked for a datalog and the guy told me to try out the new tunes first and then we could work from there. So we shall see.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Perfect, I hope they have resolved the issue. BAMA tunes have been under lot of scrutiny lately - for than an year now. I will call em myself and see if they can send me new batch of tunes as well.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Glad I wasn't going insane! And my 93 feels like it disappeared. I'll have to call them or maybe switch all together. I just don't want the same thing happening with another supplier that I have to pay for. Idk but how does a tune kinda disappear?

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Glad I wasn't going insane! And my 93 feels like it disappeared. I'll have to call them or maybe switch all together. I just don't want the same thing happening with another supplier that I have to pay for. Idk but how does a tune kinda disappear?

Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
No idea, but I just hope its not doing any damage to my car.. shes my baby! lol hopefully these new tunes do the trick or I'll be switching to mpt or lund for sure.

edit: it just doesn't make sense though because my car was running great with the tune for like a month before this started happening. now I feel like I have to keep tuning my car every couple days to keep the performance up.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I dont have concrete answer but yesterday i came across this thread on fordfordmuscle or allfordmustangs about this very BAMA tunes issue. Google 'sorta called out BAMA' and you will be able to read what people have been saying. Its not a new issue, been around for almost year and a half with their tunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Update: Just got off the phone with Bama, they said they have been getting a lot of people calling in saying they feel like their tunes disappear. They are sending me a new batch of tunes that fixed this issue. I asked for a datalog and the guy told me to try out the new tunes first and then we could work from there. So we shall see.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Does any with Lund,mpt or steeds report similar issues? Thanks for the info BTW, I'm gonna Google that shortly. I have felt this for awhile about the tunes but I never say a thread on it, at least the V6 section so I thought it was just me until **** it, something is happing here.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does any with Lund,mpt or steeds report similar issues? Thanks for the info BTW, I'm gonna Google that shortly. I have felt this for awhile about the tunes but I never say a thread on it, at least the V6 section so I thought it was just me until **** it, something is happing here.

Here it is:

http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/index....t-bama-tuning/

OP has a reference thread in his post, read that one first. You will be surprised what people have been saying.

Hence why I said spend $75 on a MPT or $50 on a JMS tune when you first posted your concerns here.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here it is:

http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/index....t-bama-tuning/

OP has a reference thread in his post, read that one first. You will be surprised what people have been saying.

Hence why I said spend $75 on a MPT or $50 on a JMS tune when you first posted your concerns here.

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Wow, I just spent 20 minutes reading that! Great info, Thanks bro! Looks like I'm gonna try mpt. What are your thoughts on Steeda. I've only called bama maybe 4 times since being with them, twice I had a really nice guy who generally wanted to help me and the twice where I wanted more info on their hybrid tune. I'm not sure if it was busy or something but I felt really rushed off the phone with little to no info. The second time went a little better but again seemed like I was pulling teeth. I have nothing bad to say about bama as I've really haven't had any problems with there tunes but if my car is only going to feel like stock again after a day or two I'll just put it back to stock and run 87 again. I might just want to avoid all the do this try that adjust this and give mpt/steeda a try. Do they have a tune for life program for x amount of dollars like bama?

Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow, I just spent 20 minutes reading that! Great info, Thanks bro! Looks like I'm gonna try mpt. What are your thoughts on Steeda. I've only called bama maybe 4 times since being with them, twice I had a really nice guy who generally wanted to help me and the twice where I wanted more info on their hybrid tune. I'm not sure if it was busy or something but I felt really rushed off the phone with little to no info. The second time went a little better but again seemed like I was pulling teeth. I have nothing bad to say about bama as I've really haven't had any problems with there tunes but if my car is only going to feel like stock again after a day or two I'll just put it back to stock and run 87 again. I might just want to avoid all the do this try that adjust this and give mpt/steeda a try. Do they have a tune for life program for x amount of dollars like bama?

Steeda is quite a reputable company and I have very rarely seen people complaining about their tunes. Even they did, I'm sure it was resolved right away. They have tunes for life program for $150 if you havent bought the tuner from from.

MPT also has pretty good reputation like steeda. Power wise I'd say MPT>Steeda>bama. They don't have tunes for life program, although they would update your tunes for free for first 6 months. Any mods bought from them that need a tune after 6 month period are also free. They also have this feature where you can buy a $20 add; you can use this $20 fee towards an update outside 6 month period.

Aside from Lund and AED, there are two other hightly reputable companies that I'd recommend: VMP and JMS chips and performance (they tuned CFM'S turbo mustang - first v6 in 10's I guess?)

|| BlackOnBlack ||
Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Great info again! I still remember the first day I loaded my first tune, bama 87 street, and touched the gas, I couldn't believe the throttle response, all I'm looking for is the consistency. If it would have just continued that way I'd have absolutely no problem. I'm sure Mpt/Steeda will be great I'm just worried I might experience the same issue and be back to square 1. But at this point I'm willing to try! There are many members that say Mpt so I guess I'll start there. Thanks again you've been a great help! Much appreciated bro! I will do some more digging before I decide what tuner to go with but you've pointed me in the right direction!

Old 04-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great info again! I still remember the first day I loaded my first tune, bama 87 street, and touched the gas, I couldn't believe the throttle response, all I'm looking for is the consistency. If it would have just continued that way I'd have absolutely no problem. I'm sure Mpt/Steeda will be great I'm just worried I might experience the same issue and be back to square 1. But at this point I'm willing to try! There are many members that say Mpt so I guess I'll start there. Thanks again you've been a great help! Much appreciated bro! I will do some more digging before I decide what tuner to go with but you've pointed me in the right direction!

No worries bro, happy to help anytime. My first ever tune 91 street back when I bought my car last year in summer. It didn't make any difference, loaded 91 performance.. Meh not major difference either. I called BAMA, got a new batch - they were significantly better but again had the same issue as you. It was a beast above 3000rpms on performance tune, but lost its responsiveness soon.

I'm waiting to get my tax returns so that I could use that extra cash towards shorty headers, maybe gears and a new tune. If you have $$, get MPTs race tune for spirited driving, and VMP/JMS as your DD tune - to get power at all levels.

Let me know who you decide to go with, and what's your experience.

|| BlackOnBlack ||

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang