Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8? - Page 13 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #421
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Lol

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
IG: @azurebluemach
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #422
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
Love my v6! I've only had it since mid September and I've put almost 4k miles on it. Road trips have never been this fun! When I went to look for a mustang I had done plenty of research and like most couldn't justify spending an extra $7-8k for the hp, even though the wife had given me the green light. Doesn't mean I won't ever own one but I love this car so much that that won't happen for a long time. I plan on keeping this car until it's no longer drive able. I clean it every time it gets a drop of water or speck of dust on it I can see. I get nothing but compliments on it and people are amazed that a v6 gets 305 hp.

Exactly!!!!! It's like we're twins!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #423
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've had my 5.0 for about a year and my GF has had her 3.7 for just about as long (she had an auto for about 9 months and we traded that on a stick about 3 months ago, so i feel i can give a really good feel on both.

I love my 5.0. I love everything about it, and with the 3.31s i still get ~25 mpg hwy, which is hard to beat with 420 whp on tap. Really, the v6 doesnt have much to offer over the V8 in terms of cost either, i'm 23 with 1 ticket and pay $170 a month for insurance, and bought my car used with 7k miles for $24k out the door. Really the V8 is the better car...

That being said, i do find myself asking to drive my Gfs car when we go out sometimes because it is just a fun car. Its easier to drive than my 5.0, its a little lighter and just feels more nimble, the clutch is easier, and with Intake / H-pipe / 3.55s its honestly got enough get up to keep me entertained at least. Its not a bad car at all, when we traded her auto in we were really shooting for a GT, but they just wouldnt give us our number, but i'm kind of glad we ended up with the V6. She is too lol, she hates driving my car, says it feels too "11." Its a big heavy car, with a big powerful engine, with big fat tires... basically there's no finesse lol and shes partially right, but different strokes for different folks. They're fun for different reasons.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #424
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I've had my 5.0 for about a year and my GF has had her 3.7 for just about as long (she had an auto for about 9 months and we traded that on a stick about 3 months ago, so i feel i can give a really good feel on both.

I love my 5.0. I love everything about it, and with the 3.31s i still get ~25 mpg hwy, which is hard to beat with 420 whp on tap. Really, the v6 doesnt have much to offer over the V8 in terms of cost either, i'm 23 with 1 ticket and pay $170 a month for insurance, and bought my car used with 7k miles for $24k out the door. Really the V8 is the better car...

That being said, i do find myself asking to drive my Gfs car when we go out sometimes because it is just a fun car. Its easier to drive than my 5.0, its a little lighter and just feels more nimble, the clutch is easier, and with Intake / H-pipe / 3.55s its honestly got enough get up to keep me entertained at least. Its not a bad car at all, when we traded her auto in we were really shooting for a GT, but they just wouldnt give us our number, but i'm kind of glad we ended up with the V6. She is too lol, she hates driving my car, says it feels too "11." Its a big heavy car, with a big powerful engine, with big fat tires... basically there's no finesse lol and shes partially right, but different strokes for different folks. They're fun for different reasons.

I'm kidding here, but I can't help but chuckle a little that your girlfriend is the one that has the V6. Stereotype ya know lol.

More nimble? What, we're talking like 80-100lbs? That's noticing a difference when your fat friend is in the car..you don't lol. I'm sure you notice more dive in the turns from the weight though.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 11-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #425
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, i've got stiffer suspension, so i dont know what it is. I'm almost thinking its the fact we race her car on 245s (nitto NT01) vs my car on 295s (NT05s). Think ice skating. You're more nimble with a smaller blade vs a fatter one right? The weight is noticeable though.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #426
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I really have no regrets in buying my 2011 3.7 and with a few weight reduction secrets, 5.0's ain't outrunning me.

I actually did a antenna delete, side mirrors delete, rearview mirror delete, radio delete, trunk delete, windshield wiper delete, both driver and passenger side delete, back seat delete and cup holder delete.

So basically I'm driving around in a big f ing shell and sitting on a milk crate but no regrets here. My pony will definitely keep up with factory 5.0's now.

In fact the heaviest part of the car is that f ing engine so next week I'm doing an engine delete. Talk about weight reduction and I should blow away the 5.0's then. 😎
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #427
Registered Member
Regular

I think the heaviest part is actually the body. Losing 100 lbs is roughly the same as gaining 10 whp, so a 3700 lb cars worth of weight reduction (with you in it roughly) by definition puts you at stock 5.0 power levels. mind. blown.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #428
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
One thing you forgot to do

The best thing you can do for increased acceleration is to eliminate rotational mass. What is the best option to do that?????
Remove four lug nuts from each wheel. Unsprung rotational weight is the secrete of going zero to 100 really fast.

DO NOT remove the engine. All you want to do is remove the complete exhaust system. Those stock manifolds are really heavy. get rid of them and all of that stupid useless pipe and those big weights called mufflers and your doing something.

Taking off three of the brake calipers and disc is also a good option. Just be sure it is both front s and one rear. ( You want to accelerate fast.--- Not worry about stopping fast)

I hope this helps. If not I can probably come up with more options.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #429
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The best thing you can do for increased acceleration is to eliminate rotational mass. What is the best option to do that?????
Remove four lug nuts from each wheel. Unsprung rotational weight is the secrete of going zero to 100 really fast.

DO NOT remove the engine. All you want to do is remove the complete exhaust system. Those stock manifolds are really heavy. get rid of them and all of that stupid useless pipe and those big weights called mufflers and your doing something.

Taking off three of the brake calipers and disc is also a good option. Just be sure it is both front s and one rear. ( You want to accelerate fast.--- Not worry about stopping fast)

I hope this helps. If not I can probably come up with more options.
Ronnie
Ronnie, now your thinking buddy. I actually will do a steering wheel delete, headlight delete, door panel delete and of course a bumber delete. That should really make the car much lighter and killer acceleration. Since I'm a bigger fella and have more weight than the average driver, 6-4, 250 lbs I'm gonna have my 13 year old son drive. He only weighs like 100 pounds so that's a huge savings right there.

Us 3.7 guys just really need to be creative and no need for any regrets. For the more hardcore 3.7 enthusists they may want to do a transmission delete and turn signal delete. 😎
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #430
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Tho only problem I see is this:::::::::::::::

If a GT owners sees what mods you have done and decides to do the same Modifications we will be right back where we started.
Ronnie
Old 11-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #431
Registered Member
Regular

* Starts tearing apart 5.0 * lol

On that note ... i just realized no one makes a tubular K-member for you guys? A-arms? You can drop about 100 lbs off the nose of the coyote with those parts give or take... kinda sucks there isnt a 3.7 option.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #432
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If a GT owners sees what mods you have done and decides to do the same Modifications we will be right back where we started.
Ronnie
***** Ronnie, your so darn right but chances are those 5.0 guys won't do all of it because their not hard core the way we are. Lol
Old 11-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #433
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

After viewing all of these reasons abiut how a V8 is way better

I made a choice to buy a V8

I gotta say I really like the V8 and have no regrets at all.
I will send a picture soon.
Ronnie
Old 11-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #434
Registered Member
Regular

I had the following mustangs:
1993 5.0 vert
1995 v6
1998 cobra vert
2014 5.0

My favorite car was the '95 v6. Got her in high school and put a ton of money into it and had it for about 5 years. It didn't matter how rough I was on that car it just kept plugging along. I will say I always wanted the v8 though hence why I have one now. The oil changes only cost me $28.00 at Ford and the insurance only increased by $100 every 6 months. Gas wise it's not bad 24 mpg on the highway and it is my weekend car.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #435
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I made a choice to buy a V8

I gotta say I really like the V8 and have no regrets at all.

I will send a picture soon.

Ronnie

Congrats! 2015?

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #436
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Here is a picture of my V8

Sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes.

Ronnie
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #437
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
My first car was a V6. (1996 Monte-Carlo Z34). It was a fun car, put a lot of Time and Money into it!.. And I actually do miss that car!.. But now I've got a '04 GT and a '06 GT!.. And must say I enjoy them more!..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #438
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
If you want power, get a GT. If you don't, get a civic or something. Then you will get your precious gas mileage and cheap insurance payment. You will be modding to try to beat a GT while I will be modding to continue to blow your doors off.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #439
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wow, I thought i was funny with my V8 juice can

But you sure got me beat with this stupid statement,

[QUOTE]If you want power, get a GT. If you don't, get a civic or something. Then you will get your precious gas mileage and cheap insurance payment. You will be modding to try to beat a GT while I will be modding to continue to blow your doors off./QUOTE]

Very nice thing to say.
Ronnie
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #440
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wow, I thought I was funny with my V8 juice can picture

But you sure got me beat with this stupid statement.

Quote:
]If you want power, get a GT. If you don't, get a civic or something. Then you will get your precious gas mileage and cheap insurance payment. You will be modding to try to beat a GT while I will be modding to continue to blow your doors off.
Not a very nice thing to say. A Civic ????? DUH !!!!!
Ronnie
Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #441
Registered Member
Regular

I apologize for my harsh words. Just never understood why people buy non V8 cars with power in mind. Spend a little extra on the front end and have a much better starting point.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #442
Registered Member
Regular

My girlfriend is the perfect example. The car she owned before her v6 was a chevy cobalt with all of 100 hp, and before that it was a chevy tahoe that barely ran. 300 hp is enough to keep her satisfied, and after a few mods shes more than happy with it. Different strokes for different folks, anything under 500 whp is kinda "meh" for me, but i've been doing this a LOT longer than she has. She'll get there some day, but right now shes pretty content with her ~300 whp.

I think people get jaded now, but go back just a few years and the GT model was making less than the v6 makes now ... it would be funny to see these same comments applied to the 3v even though its a GT.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #443
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014Vert View Post
I apologize for my harsh words. Just never understood why people buy non V8 cars with power in mind. Spend a little extra on the front end and have a much better starting point.
I never understand why people buy non V10 cars with power in mind. Spend a little extra on the front end and have a much better starting point.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #444
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I never understand why people buy non V10 cars with power in mind. Spend a little extra on the front end and have a much better starting point.

Lol that's not a little extra, that's a ton extra.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #445
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
So now that the 2015 has the 2.3 Eco Boost . The next topic will be Has anyone regretted getting a 4cyl instead of a v8 or a v6?
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #446
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
What do you mean? It's just 2 extra cylinders. Or if you're referring to the price tag then maybe you've answered your original question.

Quote:
Lol that's not a little extra, that's a ton extra.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #447
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
I've never understood if your going to spend the money on a Mustang GT and mod it for power why not spend a little extra on the front end and have a Mustang GT500???? After all it's only a Mustang GT the GT500 is the real car.

Probably because our 3.7 V6 non V8 mustang has the same HP as a 2010 GT did with a little less torque and lighter. By the way I paid $22k for my PP 2013 new, if I slapped a FI kit on the stock engine I would still have paid less then a new base GT with the added bonus of whooping it at the track and in the twisties. It's all in what you want, anyone can make a Mustang GT fast. The Mustang GT is the dumbed down easy route to go aka anyone can build a V8.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #448
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I really have no regrets in buying my 2011 3.7 and with a few weight reduction secrets, 5.0's ain't outrunning me.

I actually did a antenna delete, side mirrors delete, rearview mirror delete, radio delete, trunk delete, windshield wiper delete, both driver and passenger side delete, back seat delete and cup holder delete.

So basically I'm driving around in a big f ing shell and sitting on a milk crate but no regrets here. My pony will definitely keep up with factory 5.0's now.

In fact the heaviest part of the car is that f ing engine so next week I'm doing an engine delete. Talk about weight reduction and I should blow away the 5.0's then. 😎
LOL, that reminded me of this:

SCC Technical Assistance Program
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #449
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, to be fair, the difference between a v6 and GT is MUCH smaller than between a GT and boss or gt500...
Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #450
Registered Member
Regular

Had a v6 camaro, when a civic passed me i sold it and got
My Laquisha

Soccerluvr4 wuz here
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #451
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I don't think there's anything wrong with owning a v6 or ecoboost stang, it's just not the way I would spend my money. I think if I was looking for a v6, I'd be looking at the Taurus SHO's. I will say that when I test drove the 2015, I found it to be really comfortable to drive, so that being said, I would probably consider an ecoboost as a 2nd Mustang daily driver. This is assuming I had the money of course. But, money doesn't grow on trees, so my first choice would be the GT. If I'm lucky, the Mach 1's will not break the bank and I would go for a new Mach.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 11-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #452
Registered Member
Regular

Some drivers just feel good about their V6 and love them. Some not so much, in my case MY first mustang was a 1995 V6, then 2002 GT, 1997 V6, 1991 LX and now a 2012 GT.

Liked them all but was not quite happy settling with a V6.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #453
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Probably because our 3.7 V6 non V8 mustang has the same HP as a 2010 GT did with a little less torque and lighter. By the way I paid $22k for my PP 2013 new, if I slapped a FI kit on the stock engine I would still have paid less then a new base GT with the added bonus of whooping it at the track and in the twisties. It's all in what you want, anyone can make a Mustang GT fast. The Mustang GT is the dumbed down easy route to go aka anyone can build a V8.
I understand your point, but I paid a little extra for my 2014 GT and when I slap a FI kit on it, you are slow again. It may be easier, but it's still faster. You can enjoy whooping a stock GT all day long, but when you get whooped by a FI V8 and realize you can't go much faster with your V6 you will see my point.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #454
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, you guys are lucky lol my First car was a 2001 v6 auto that i loved to death, but with 2.73s and all of 195 hp it was pretty damn slow. I think with full bolt ons my 3.8 made all of 225 whp and 250 wtq or something like that.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #455
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I understand your point, but I paid a little extra for my 2014 GT and when I slap a FI kit on it, you are slow again. It may be easier, but it's still faster. You can enjoy whooping a stock GT all day long, but when you get whooped by a FI V8 and realize you can't go much faster with your V6 you will see my point.

It's not just a fast thing either. IMO, the 6's and 4's sound awful when people do exhaust upgrades. If I had one, I'd keep the stock exhaust. Maybe an upgraded high flow catted midpipe, but not if its gonna be loud though. Some people like the sound, but I'm not a fan myself.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang