Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8? - Page 14 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #456
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
It's not the one who's starts off with the Faster Car!.. It's the one with Deeper Pockets who wins!..

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #457
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014Vert View Post
I understand your point, but I paid a little extra for my 2014 GT and when I slap a FI kit on it, you are slow again. It may be easier, but it's still faster. You can enjoy whooping a stock GT all day long, but when you get whooped by a FI V8 and realize you can't go much faster with your V6 you will see my point.
You don't even need FI if he just adds a blower with supporting mods, full exhaust and a proper tune would do the trick
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #458
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
It's not the one who's starts off with the Faster Car!.. It's the one with Deeper Pockets who wins!..

Nailed it!

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
IG: @azurebluemach
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #459
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
You don't even need FI if he just adds a blower ...
What did I miss here? A blower is FI.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #460
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

True some of the time. Just look at some of the clapped out garbage at the track running ridiculous times. I saw a 96-99 Neon running over 130 at Cecil back in 2006 with an SRT4 swap and who knows what else. Those with fabricating skills can pull of some crazy tricks.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
Old 11-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #461
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
What did I miss here? A blower is FI.

I am referencing the V-6. Reread.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #462
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I understand your point, but I paid a little extra for my 2014 GT and when I slap a FI kit on it, you are slow again. It may be easier, but it's still faster. You can enjoy whooping a stock GT all day long, but when you get whooped by a FI V8 and realize you can't go much faster with your V6 you will see my point.
I guess that depends on what you think a "little extra" is. My 2013 Premium PP was under $20k. It's a helluva lot of car for that.

If I got whooped by a V8 with a power adder, I wouldn't be upset or surprised. When that GT owner loses to a V6 (power adder or not), how does that make them feel?

I'm not sure we'll ever see eye to eye. But curious, if you bought a car for performance, why did you get the convertible?

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #463
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if any of you V8 guys actually know anything about any other engines or platforms when you start talking performance. People like you is what makes it worth the time and money to build a V6 or even a 4cyl turbo.

The way I look at it is if I lose, oh well I'm suppose to I only have a V6. When you lose in your V8, you lost to a V6. Trust me if your car is a stock Vert 5.0, there are modified NA 3.7 V6 mustangs out there that can beat you. Like I said all the pressure is on you to win a race in your V8 not the V6 owner. In the end whoever has the deepest pockets win.

The 3.7 V6 crowd isn't under the impression we can beat anything, but most the V8 crowd are under the delusion that the 3.7 V6 is weak like the V6 Mustangs of the past and that a V8 is the end all be all to performance.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #464
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I'm not sure we'll ever see eye to eye. But curious, if you bought a car for performance, why did you get the convertible?
I bought it as my wife's DD and something I could play with on the weekends until I get a garage I can build something in. She wanted a convertible GT so that is what we got. I personally wanted the hard top, but happy wife = happy life.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #465
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Sometimes I wonder if any of you V8 guys actually know anything about any other engines or platforms when you start talking performance. People like you is what makes it worth the time and money to build a V6 or even a 4cyl turbo.

The way I look at it is if I lose, oh well I'm suppose to I only have a V6. When you lose in your V8, you lost to a V6. Trust me if your car is a stock Vert 5.0, there are modified NA 3.7 V6 mustangs out there that can beat you. Like I said all the pressure is on you to win a race in your V8 not the V6 owner. In the end whoever has the deepest pockets win.

Not exactly a fair comparison!.. Something modified should keep up with if not beat something stock!.. My '04 GT is faster than my '06 GT!.. But then again the '04 is Modified while the '06 (performance wise) is totally stock!.. We all know Stock for Stock and Mod for Mod, the '06 GT has always been, and will always be faster than the '04 GT!.. Just saying!.. If I'm cruising around in my Stock '06 GT and you beat me in your Modded V6, well naturally I already expected to loose!.. Now on the flip side of that same coin, let's say a lightly modded 3.7 V6 ran against a Stock 2014 5.0 and still lost!.. What does that mean?...

Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #466
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

The 3.7 V6 crowd isn't under the impression we can beat anything, but most the V8 crowd are under the delusion that the 3.7 V6 is weak like the V6 Mustangs of the past and that a V8 is the end all be all to performance.
1. You can build a V6 or I4 all you want, but you will never match the power of a built V8.

2. If you are racing, losing should not be ok and you put yourself in that situation by having a less powerful platform from the beginning.

3. I agree that the 3.7 is the best V6 Ford has put in a mustang, but that doesn't change the fact that the 5.0 is more powerful.

The whole part of my argument from the beginning is if you are buying a car for performance, why would you knowingly choose an engine platform that will make less power. V8s will always make more power than V6s. You start out with less and if we put the same mods on, you will end up with less.
2014Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #467
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

I know there's a ton of lessor displaced motors in cars that would beat the silly out of my Mach, but that doesn't mean I like the way they sound. Nothing beats the V8 sound. Even 225hp foxbody's sound great with an aftermarket exhaust and that's low on the HP scale these days. Like many have said here, it's just preference.

Frankly, I wish Ford would drop the V6 and just have the V8 and the ecoboost. I think they should put the 3.7 in the Fusion as a sporty version. 300HP would be awesome and compete well with all the sporty sedans out there.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #468
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I wonder if this is as heavily debated with camaro and challenger owners

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
45thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #469
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not exactly a fair comparison!.. Something modified should keep up with if not beat something stock!.. My '04 GT is faster than my '06 GT!.. But then again the '04 is Modified while the '06 (performance wise) is totally stock!.. We all know Stock for Stock and Mod for Mod, the '06 GT has always been, and will always be faster than the '04 GT!.. Just saying!.. If I'm cruising around in my Stock '06 GT and you beat me in your Modded V6, well naturally I already expected to loose!.. Now on the flip side of that same coin, let's say a lightly modded 3.7 V6 ran against a Stock 2014 5.0 and still lost!.. What does that mean?...Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Well here's the thing most of the V8 guys treat the V6 guys like we don't know anything about performance or had the money for a GT, which is far from true. I as well as others have owned some very high performance vehicles in the past as well as now. Some were V8's, FI V6 and some were/are 4 cyl turbo. I bought my 3.7 V6 car with the full intent to mod it. I like the under dog roll. Just because people drop money on a performance car and pay people to do there mods does not mean they know anything about cars (bought not built). Hell I have a highly modded 4cyl turbo awd van that would give a 2011+ NA 5.0 fits. Again that's the under dog in me and the reason I built it, sleeper. Do I know the V8 can be built faster of course. Do they know I built the van to be fast, not a chance in hell. The look on a V8 guys face being whooped by a van is priceless. I think this is what most V8 guys don't get, some of us chose to build a 3.7 V6 on purpose.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #470
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I know there's a ton of lessor displaced motors in cars that would beat the silly out of my Mach, but that doesn't mean I like the way they sound. Nothing beats the V8 sound. Even 225hp foxbody's sound great with an aftermarket exhaust and that's low on the HP scale these days. Like many have said here, it's just preference.

Frankly, I wish Ford would drop the V6 and just have the V8 and the ecoboost. I think they should put the 3.7 in the Fusion as a sporty version. 300HP would be awesome and compete well with all the sporty sedans out there.
True fact if it wasn't for the success and sales of the V6 Mustang you would never have had a V8. Rumor had it at one time of a 3.7 ecoboost going into a Lincoln. The days of the V8 in the GT are numbered, eventually you will see some form of a V6 FI in a GT.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #471
Registered Member
Regular

Lol i loved nothing more than freight training V8 guys in my BT mazdaspeed3... but alas, my all motor, pump gas V8 is only 20-30 whp behind where my E85, built motor, big turbo 4 cylinder was. I could have pushed that car to 600 whp if i wanted (tuned it myself) but i honestly just got tired of the headaches. There are plenty, PLENTY of high power, low displacement cars out there, but i just decided the simpler power was for me now. I'm sure i'll do the boost thing again before long.

I always have this debate with my friends, and i honestly never pushed the mazda past about 480 whp on purpose. They asked me why, when i had a 600 whp capable build, and my answer was always "...well what would i do next?" I'm 23 lol i'm going to be modding cars my whole life, i cant have 600 whp by the time im 24 or nothing will EVER be good enough to keep me satisfied.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #472
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
True fact if it wasn't for the success and sales of the V6 Mustang you would never have had a V8. Rumor had it at one time of a 3.7 ecoboost going into a Lincoln. The days of the V8 in the GT are numbered, eventually you will see some form of a V6 FI in a GT.
We all know that about the Mustang. We all know that the V8 is what gave it the great success beyond it's birth. Many people simply can't afford a GT, so they buy an entry level Mustang. What if the GT never existed..? I have a feeeling the Mustang would have died a long time ago. Not because there's anything wrong with the staright or V6's, but because the market wanted more power and displacement was the way to go.

I disagree with you on the death of the V8. It will never die in the Mustang's lifetime. It may be reduced to just the "specials" at some point (like GT500, Cobra, etc), but I think Ford (and other care makers in competition) will create more efficient powerplants, maybe even smaller V8's that are boosted (remember 5.0 to 4.6L?), to even a possible hybrid someday. The GT, GT500, GT350, Mach 1 , and Cobra's all drive the model and the sales of the V6 was the support. True, they need each other to survive, but I think with the European market now involved, ditching the 6 is the logical choice.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #473
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Lol i loved nothing more than freight training V8 guys in my BT mazdaspeed3... but alas, my all motor, pump gas V8 is only 20-30 whp behind where my E85, built motor, big turbo 4 cylinder was. I could have pushed that car to 600 whp if i wanted (tuned it myself) but i honestly just got tired of the headaches. There are plenty, PLENTY of high power, low displacement cars out there, but i just decided the simpler power was for me now. I'm sure i'll do the boost thing again before long.

I always have this debate with my friends, and i honestly never pushed the mazda past about 480 whp on purpose. They asked me why, when i had a 600 whp capable build, and my answer was always "...well what would i do next?" I'm 23 lol i'm going to be modding cars my whole life, i cant have 600 whp by the time im 24 or nothing will EVER be good enough to keep me satisfied.
Whoa, you are way younger than I imagined you to be for your level of experience. Same for Rapinator who is 25. I figured you were about my age (30).

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #474
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
LOL, that reminded me of this:

SCC Technical Assistance Program
Omg, lmfao. Dude that is great.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #475
Registered Member
Regular

Haha i was lucky enough to have a very well paying job and live at home while going to school, so i got to spend a lot on toys. That and my parents have a large garage, so pretty much anything anyone needed done we did at my house, so i got a lot of hands on that way with a lot of different jobs. Some i would happily do again lol ... and some i would not.

Out on my own now, with my own bills, and the mod money and mod time has significantly reduced haha. Now i resort to living vicariously through others on these forums with their modding.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #476
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I bought it as my wife's DD and something I could play with on the weekends until I get a garage I can build something in. She wanted a convertible GT so that is what we got. I personally wanted the hard top, but happy wife = happy life.
Well that's very nice of your wife to let you drive her V8 Mustang

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #477
Registered Member
Regular

^ pretty much the same here also, grew up with cars with 500 -1000 +hp. Between my dad and my uncle i learned alot,
As far as keeping hp down while younger I fkd that up, that's why my wife says I'm never satisfied with my car. Which is true. Ran at 700+ in the coyote for awhile. 550 + in the 03 cobra
And 500 in the 3v.
Thats why I'm indecisive now, drives me nuts. Might just get a prius :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #478
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
1. You can build a V6 or I4 all you want, but you will never match the power of a built V8.

2. If you are racing, losing should not be ok and you put yourself in that situation by having a less powerful platform from the beginning.

3. I agree that the 3.7 is the best V6 Ford has put in a mustang, but that doesn't change the fact that the 5.0 is more powerful.

The whole part of my argument from the beginning is if you are buying a car for performance, why would you knowingly choose an engine platform that will make less power. V8s will always make more power than V6s. You start out with less and if we put the same mods on, you will end up with less.
If I may I would like to touch on your comment about " If someone is buying a car for performance why would one knowingly choose and engine platform that will make less power than a V8."

This answer is very easy. First, someone is looking for a super great looking pony car that provides a good level of performance yet can't afford to spend the extra 7,500 dollars.

Second reason. Vast majority of consumers don't need or give two craps about having 430 plus HP. Vast majority of people don't track or drag race and couldn't give a crap about going faster in the 1/4 mile.

Funny because just a few years back, the 2010 Gt was the cats meow all with 315 HP, V8. 2011 rolls around, 305 HP 1/4 mile and 0-60 mph times very close to one another yet the V6 is not performance. That's kind of funny.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #479
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Once you get a v8, you could care less about why other platforms. That's why we don't know lol
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #480
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We all know that about the Mustang. We all know that the V8 is what gave it the great success beyond it's birth. Many people simply can't afford a GT, so they buy an entry level Mustang. What if the GT never existed..? I have a feeeling the Mustang would have died a long time ago. Not because there's anything wrong with the staright or V6's, but because the market wanted more power and displacement was the way to go.

I disagree with you on the death of the V8. It will never die in the Mustang's lifetime. It may be reduced to just the "specials" at some point (like GT500, Cobra, etc), but I think Ford (and other care makers in competition) will create more efficient powerplants, maybe even smaller V8's that are boosted (remember 5.0 to 4.6L?), to even a possible hybrid someday. The GT, GT500, GT350, Mach 1 , and Cobra's all drive the model and the sales of the V6 was the support. True, they need each other to survive, but I think with the European market now involved, ditching the 6 is the logical choice.
Really? If there were V8's only, the Mustang would have been put down long ago bud.

2011 V6 total: 37,202 GT total: 26,422
2012 V6 total: 55,245 GT total: 28,013

I couldn't find 13 or 14, but if 11& 12 is any indication you can take a guess at what car they sell more of.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #481
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_dredd View Post
Once you get a v8, you could care less about why other platforms. That's why we don't know lol
So you and others came to a thread to post a reply about wishing you got the 5.0 over the 3.7 V6 and have not driven a 3.7 V6.

If you don't care, don't post.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #482
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Really? If there were V8's only, the Mustang would have been put down long ago bud.

2011 V6 total: 37,202 GT total: 26,422
2012 V6 total: 55,245 GT total: 28,013

I couldn't find 13 or 14, but if 11& 12 is any indication you can take a guess at what car they sell more of.

I didn't say v8's only. I said they need each other to survive. It would have died if it was a 6 only. Read it again.

Now there's another supporting power plant that crosses oceans. Bye bye v6.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #483
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly I just believe the older v8 crowd is just upset that the new v6 is just as fast or faster than there cars. Thats honestly what it is

Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #484
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Honestly I just believe the older v8 crowd is just upset that the new v6 is just as fast or faster than there cars. Thats honestly what it is

this ^

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #485
Registered Member
Regular

If it isn't, then simply don't hate on the v6.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #486
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't say v8's only. I said they need each other to survive. It would have died if it was a 6 only. Read it again.

Now there's another supporting power plant that crosses oceans. Bye bye v6.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Well at least the GT might finally have a chance to be the main sales figure for Mustangs since the only other choice in a premium now is ecoboost. Personally I wished they just killed the V6 after 14, I wouldn't have mind owning a car with a production engine run of 4 years and not produced any more, but oh well.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #487
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
If it isn't, then simply don't hate on the v6.

You hate all the time. Go on with your moddin' self. Don't try and stick up for something you'd never own.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 11-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #488
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Heck, I had an 88 GT back in 06-08 and it would get spanked by most of your typical sedans these days. I'm sure there is many that hate that the v6 has more power, but not me. Like I've said before, just because it has more power doesn't mean I want it. Really though, the 6 upgrade was far too late IMO. When they brought the 05's out, that's when they should have been starting to make the 6 more powerful and modernized.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Old 11-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #489
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You hate all the time. Go on with your moddin' self. Don't try and stick up for something you'd never own.

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1
Never once hated on the v6 bud, and my wife had a 2012 3.7, so don't talk about something you have no clue of..........

Old 11-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #490
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Never once hated on the v6 bud, and my wife had a 2012 3.7, so don't talk about something you have no clue of..........

Your wife owns it bruh

2004 Azure Blue Mach 1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang