Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Bro. I personally would take a loaded premium 3.7 any day of the week than a base, bare bones 5.0. My a$$ wants nice leather seats and the latest gadgets. Making more power is easy if one wants with the 3.7

Good choice bud! 3.7 baby
Just the opposite here. If I wanted leather, nav etc. I would buy a luxury car instead of a pony car (My Lincoln fills that roll nicely).
Different strokes for different folks.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Leather and all that bull crap adds weight. Plus the leather in the mustangs sucks. I bought mine for one reason to hand out *** stompings.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Leather and all that bull crap adds weight. Plus the leather in the mustangs sucks. I bought mine for one reason to hand out *** stompings.

Ha ha ha! I hear ya.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Also I think the topic of this thread is dumb. I don't think anyone should regret a purchase they made. The new v6's are bad ***, and more than enough for a DD and still go out and stomp equally moded 3vs in. plus I guarantee you that a good % of the population that has the 5.0's honestly do not need them. They will never use it to its potential/ probably do not have the skill to anyways.

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

* do not

Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #75

Quote:
Leather and all that bull crap adds weight.
yes, adding leather interior is like towing a 5th wheel camper. I agree about the huge weight difference. Rapinator126 is smart...
cqt1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqt1414 View Post

yes, adding leather interior is like towing a 5th wheel camper. I agree about the huge weight difference. Rapinator126 is smart...
I hear you on that but for people who don't race , they may not be concerned about the added pounds of leather. The person who drives there car to and from work and over to Wally World may not really care about the added weight. Ha ha ha!

I would think majority of Mustang owners are not hardcore racing enthusiasts where having leather seats is going to make them that much slower when going to the food store and Rapinator 126 does know his stuff. He is da man. Lol
Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #77
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
OP, the true answer to your original ? is YES. I like my V6 and am happy with it, but there are many more folks who go from the V6 to the V8 than the other way. If I was willing to spend the $ w/o hesitation I would get the plain V8 rather than the luxe V6...but it ain't my money and I got the plain V6. If you get the V6 (and it seems like that is what YOU want) and the manual go for the 3.31 rear end. If you get the plain V8 spring for some type of b/up sensor or camera. Enjoy it either way.

3rd gear in these sixxers is a hoot, two lane blacktop passing moves and you are going 80+ by the time you are even with the car you are passing.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #78

Kona Blue,
I like that white accent on your side, it looks good. Mine is performance white, and I want to add black stripe, just not sure where and how much. I'm sorting that out....
cqt1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqt1414 View Post
Kona Blue,
I like that white accent on your side, it looks good. Mine is performance white, and I want to add black stripe, just not sure where and how much. I'm sorting that out....
Thanks bro. Appreciate that. Black stripes will look awesome.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #80

Region: Virginia
Smile

[QUOTE=Rapinator126;1986270]Also I think the topic of this thread is dumb.

Yeap, I am aware of that, but before posting the question and reading all the great answers I got from some people, I was not sure what I wanted. Now, I am sure, and will have no regrets: V6 premium.
In my case, a V8 would only be nice just to say I have one, but I don't need one. I am not going to race it. So you are right, I would never get the car's potential to good use, and as you also said, I probably would not know how. I can take that, no offense taken. I drive a 140hp VW, and will have to learn how to drive my new 305hp mustang. So, I'm sorry, I will probably be posting some more dumb questions in the next few weeks/months! Hope that's ok and I get more nice, useful answers too. Thx!
ylmva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have a 305 Horsepower six I have not had anyone do a "YUGK yet. Most of my friends are true car people and already know about the 3.7 V6 and how it performs so I don't get the static that the small Peins people spout out. If they don't like my Mustang it is because they are either driving a Civic, Volvo or jap car of some kind. All I know is I must love my car a lot because I just got a call from my dealer. They are looking for low mileage Mustangs and offered me what I paid for it on a trade on a 2014 anything they sell. I'm not giving my V6 up for anything.

Ronnie
Nice ride, you have good taste my friend.

I seriously thought as first you were the guy who sold me my stang two weeks ago.

We have the same car and the sellers name was Ronnie. Once I saw your mod list all conspiracy theories went out the window though.

I love my v6 with all the upgrades the guy added, obviously the MCA package, then he added the comfort package, and I don't know if the leather (saddle back) interior is standard for the MCA package or not, but if not then he also added the premium package.

Seriously, I just love being in the car, then you add the performance in and it's easy to see why I've driven over 1,000 miles in two weeks. And I don't have a daily commute as I work from home!
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #82
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
[QUOTE=ylmva;1986394]
Quote:
Also I think the topic of this thread is dumb.

Yeap, I am aware of that, but before posting the question and reading all the great answers I got from some people, I was not sure what I wanted. Now, I am sure, and will have no regrets: V6 premium.
In my case, a V8 would only be nice just to say I have one, but I don't need one. I am not going to race it. So you are right, I would never get the car's potential to good use, and as you also said, I probably would not know how. I can take that, no offense taken. I drive a 140hp VW, and will have to learn how to drive my new 305hp mustang. So, I'm sorry, I will probably be posting some more dumb questions in the next few weeks/months! Hope that's ok and I get more nice, useful answers too. Thx!

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. This is an open forum and a great place to learn. Ask away . . . .
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
[QUOTE=ylmva;1986394]
Quote:
Also I think the topic of this thread is dumb.

Sounds like you made the right choice for your needs, and going from 140hp to 305hp will be quite the jump for you. I love my V6 Premium ragtop.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, you are new to Mustangs, shows you want to learn as much about your car as you can instead of just driving it. As you spend more time out here, you will get a feel for who the people are that truly want to offer you help and who is just out here to be a jerk. Ignore the jerks, the only one looking dumb is them. We may not all say it when it happens, be we certainly see it.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #84
Staff

Regular
Staff

don't be afraid to ask ?'s and learn to ignore the dumb answers.

Mud
Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Wasn't directing my post to you at all buddy. So dont get all upset, I was talking in general. Not directed to one person.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #86
Staff

Regular
Staff

same here..........
Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8?

3.7 : looks great, mpg was ok I expected better. Plenty of power. Still a mustang. Insurance and gas is a wash. I'll spend $700 more on gas and $190/year on insurance on the gt.

5.0: still looks great , stupid power, more smiles per gallon , wish I would have just gotten it from the start.

Both are still mustangs and rock. I agree on a loaded v6 vs base gt.

You'll love the v6 since you seem to be sold on it. (Def get the 3:31).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396903508.818780.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	153168

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1396903533.867572.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	614.8 KB
ID:	153169
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #88

I considered the V8. I was loaned one (a 2013) awhile back by my dealer when I was getting work done on my Fusion. And it was fun to drive. Hadn't been behind the wheel of something with that much power for many years.

But when it came time to buy I considered the fact that I'm not a young kid, I'm not going to be headed to a track anytime soon nor do I feel the need to blow people away at a light. I wanted something that looked cool and was fun to drive. The V6 fit my needs nicely.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I love my 2011 v6 I got the 3.31 and auto in mine and I wouldnt trade her for anything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
The main thing , what is it that you can afford the rest will follow . I love my 6 speed though !.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #91
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:

Leather adds weight? Sweating onto cloth seats in the hot summers of Florida adds stink. I'd rather be able to wipe down and condition my leather, then to have to smell stink on my cloth seats and have to clean them more often.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Leather adds weight? Sweating onto cloth seats in the hot summers of Florida adds stink. I'd rather be able to wipe down and condition my leather, then to have to smell stink on my cloth seats and have to clean them more often.
All my previous mustangs had leather. My 02 gt, 03 cobra, 08 stage 3. For the coyote it was one thing in mind when I bought it. Luxury had no roll in my purchase in this one.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

I love leather and the information display
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Can never go wrong with a V8!
Sunnycalibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycalibear View Post
That's true. You can never go wrong with a V8, the sound of it or the added performance. Now all one has to do is cut that check or make those added payments. Its that easy peasey.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I bought the 2013 V6 Almost 2 years ago. I told myself I would never need the V8 so bought a premium pony pak. I enjoyed it, took it to car shows, it got great attention and I even got a runner up in a peoples choice for late models at the first car show I went to.

Then I discovered all the kewl things about mustangs and mustang owners and clubs. Things I thought were back in my 70s past and forgot about while Driving V8 trucks and L4 econoboxs as life grew up. (Still own my V8 truck). Said my truck could be my V8.

After about 2 years, I said do I want to super charge my V6 auto? Looked into the costs and determined I would be better off trading for a GT almost the exact same as my V6. I pulled the trigger on March 17th and swapped for the V8 and some money I had saved up for the pro-charger or save for repairs. I had to tune the V6 to get perforce on the auto, and make sure you get at least 3.31 gears. The GT 6speed stick I think I am going to be able to keep engine stock and live out its 7year/100K warranty.

Borla ATAKs go on it Friday

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycalibear View Post
this is what gets me... kinda reminds me of the youtube videos "but its not an iPhone.... I want an iphone"..... hello.... strap a blower on it and it will eat a V8.... I'm guessing the response is.... " its not a V8..."

Think with a clear mind, smaller engines are the way of the future. Better fuel economy, more efficient, less money, less insurance cost.

This is how you go wrong with a V8: You buy it, and then realize your dropping an extra $100 a month on gas. Your insurance is.... XXX amount higher. You have fewer toys/gadgets/luxuries in the car. You have a front heavy car that isn't as balanced. You lose to a turbo'ed or supercharged V6 that in the end cost less. Sure, your exhaust is deeper, and you have potential to make ur V8 even faster than a blown V6, but is it worth it? how often are you going to use more than 450HP? ....really how often do you use 420HP?

I had the option for a premium V8 if I wanted... I chose to get a fully loaded V6 premium. Why? Its more practical and just makes more sense... (Sixxers look better imo also) But I guess its not a V8... smh...

Sure if your just tracking the car or at the strip then ya, go V8. But if this is ur DD or primary car, I can't think of a single good reason to buy a V8 over the V6... unless you think its worth it to get pushed back in your seat a little harder a few times a week.
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I think this thread has gotten a bit funny!.. Too many people are biased to one side or the other!.. Lol. For me I'll always get a V8 simple because I Love the sound and the low end torque!.. Yes I could've traded in my '04 GT and financed a newer 5.0!.. But I decided to keep the '04 and buy a '06 GT!.. So now instead of having only one Mustang, I now own two!..

The new V6 is an all around good car!.. But to me it doesn't have the fun factor of even the older V8s!.. And yes I've driven one of the new V6!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

I drove my roommate's 2013 GT, and well.. I'd choose my car 100% over it anyday. Why? it didnt have the fun factor at all... but that probably due to the auto transmission. I don't see the fun in push one pedal or the other and thats it... its boring even with all the torque... but thats engine irrelevant. Still feel its a no brainer, V6 if its a car you drive often, V8 if your just racing it. Personally I feel the fun is being able to race a car that you drive all the time.. but hey, thats just me
Old 04-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Both my Mustangs are DDs!.. Lol
Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Both my Mustangs are DDs!.. Lol
What I am saying is its financially smarter to drive a v6 as a dd, irrelevant if you can afford a GT as a DD or a Shelby or a Bugatti.... FACT: is that its a smarter financial decision to drive a v6 as a DD (I know, I know, then why not a civic or geo metro... well cause its a civic or geo metro)
Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Both my GTs get almost as good mpgs as your V6, and because they are older, I'm paying less in insurance per car as I would a newer V6!..

Just saying
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Both my GTs get almost as good mpgs as your V6, and because they are older, I'm paying less in insurance per car as I would a newer V6!..

Just saying
32mpgs, $309 for 6 months of full coverage. Ball is in your court...
Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #104
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Even if you don't count $$$$$$$$=MONEY

There are V6 3.7 Mustangs
There are 5.0 V8 Mustangs
There are 4.6 V8 Mustangs
There are the older V6 Mustangs
There are even 4 Cylinder Mustangs from long ago
There are straight 6 cylinder Mustangs from long ago
There was a 221, a 260 & a 289 CI Mustang V8 at one time.
All were Mustangs that were loved and loved by their owners
Who cares if some idiot that is not a Mustang owner and never was or will be one does not like your engine weather it is a six or eight cylinder. OR your transmission weather it is an Automatic or a three speed stick ( Early 1964 Mustang straight six) A Four speed , Five Speed or Six speed Manual.
If you are a true Mustang lover you should like all FIFTY GREAT YEARS of continuous Mustangs. None were better then any other but they sure are all different. Really Different. If they all stayed the exact same they would be like Jap cars and not an American Muscle car that almost everybody you talk to likes weather it is a six, an eight , Auto or Stick. A Mustang is a Mustang and no other car is like it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

yes, to OP: it depends what you are using the car for. If its a DD, I'd really recommend the V6 if you are getting 2011+ and V8 if you are planning using it as a drag car. If you're going pre-2011, I'd say yes, get a V8.
To answer the original question: No, I do not regret the 3.7L in any way. If I made the decision today (a little over 2 years later), I'd make the same choice... MAYBE would have bought a slightly used one though to knock off the depreciation hit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang