Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8? - Page 8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #246
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
1964 1/4 they were straight six cylinders.

They also had a floor mounted three speed manual.
There were a few and I mean """VERY FEW""" 221 V8's that were probably left over from the Falcon/Fairlane era. It sure would be nice to find one of these in a barn somewhere. I had a friend that had one and traded it in on a 289 when they came out. Then the 260 were in some of the early Mustangs. I had one in my 64 1/2 convertible which I traded it in on the 289 271 horsepower V8. At least my 260 Ci did have a four speed manual.
Those were the good old days and no matter what Mustang you bought, It was a MUSTANG and everybody drooled over all of them.
I have a friend that bought a gold six cylinder three speed convertible brand new when they very first came out and I think he still has it. The next time I go up to Delaware I gotta look him up and see. If I go to the American Muscle show in Media I'll stop by and see if I can track him down.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #247
Road Trip!

Region: California
I guess a reason people get the 3.7 is for gas mileage but doesn't the coyote get crazy good mpg too?
wicked2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #248
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes it does

The Coyote gets excellent MPG, It has way more power then anybody needs ( Except for the one's that want it) It is a great powerful very reliable engine. I love it, But the Cyclone V6 is also a great powerful engine that has more horsepower then you need and excellent MPG.
The only difference is::::
Some love their V8
Some love their V6

Neither engine is bad. Different, "YES" Bad "NO"
I personally like my 3.7 Cyclone V6 and don't even think of a V8. I would like to have a manual transmission but due to back, Hip & leg problems it is out of the question for me. I'm just glad that Ford puts a great Automatic transmission in these Mustangs.
Anybody that knocks either of these engines in our Mustangs are either really un-informed or just plain stupid. Both are good and suit different people. It would really be a tragedy if all Mustangs were the exact same. They are not because of the different engines, transmissions, colors, packages, rear end ratio's, interiors, and the best of all===PERSONAL MODIFICATIONS we do to our Mustangs.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #249
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Got the V6 and love it. I haven't driven the v8 so I can't compare them. The v6 goes very well. 305 hp is respectable and the car is quick. If you're not looking for the the top of the line power you should be happy with the v6.
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #250
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Got the V6 and love it. I haven't driven the v8 so I can't compare them. The v6 goes very well. 305 hp is respectable and the car is quick. If you're not looking for the the top of the line power you should be happy with the v6.
Totally agree and if someone wants top of the line power don't get the 5.0. That's not top of the line. Gt500 is where you need to be.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #251
Road Trip!

Has anyone regretted getting a V6 instead of V8?

Lol nobody NEEDS all that horsepower. But we all want it anyways.

Of your gonna get a mustang to mod than just buy the v8. If your getting one to keep stock or only for appearance mods than just get the v6
Old 04-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #252

Region: Louisiana
I got the v6 because 5.0 is in an entirely different market segment. For $20k to $25k, the only competitions were focus ST, fiesta ST, GTI, speed3 ,FRS/BRZ, WRX, 2.0T genesis coupe, v6 camero and c6 challenger, civic si, and maybe a few others.

When I got my 2014 v6 it had 3000 rebate, and that settled it for me. It was the most powerful and the cheapest car in the segment and having the correct driving wheels was just a plus.

If I were shopping in 5.0's segments there would be all kind of other options, Evo, Sti, 135i, and such. For me it wasn't v6 vs v8, it was v6 vs everything in its segment.

I'm happy with my v6's performence. while I've had more powerful cars they were in their own segment and there is no point to compare
jtj5002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #253
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj5002 View Post
I got the v6 because 5.0 is in an entirely different market segment. For $20k to $25k, the only competitions were focus ST, fiesta ST, GTI, speed3 ,FRS/BRZ, WRX, 2.0T genesis coupe, v6 camero and c6 challenger, civic si, and maybe a few others.

When I got my 2014 v6 it had 3000 rebate, and that settled it for me. It was the most powerful and the cheapest car in the segment and having the correct driving wheels was just a plus.

If I were shopping in 5.0's segments there would be all kind of other options, Evo, Sti, 135i, and such. For me it wasn't v6 vs v8, it was v6 vs everything in its segment.

I'm happy with my v6's performence. while I've had more powerful cars they were in their own segment and there is no point to compare

Agree, except our V6 would do circles around:

Fiesta ST
Focus ST (maybe)
FRS/BRZ
V6 Challenger (really our V6 is as fast if not faster than the R/T)
Civic SI
Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Our direct competition is the V6 Camaro and the 3.8L Genesis Coupe. Don't like comparing our Mustang to the WRX because they are really in two different segments. AWD vs RWD, 4 or 5 door vs 2 door, turbo vs NA, etc.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #254
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked2v View Post

Of your gonna get a mustang to mod than just buy the v8. If your getting one to keep stock or only for appearance mods than just get the v6
Why buy a 3.7 and keep it stock? Its far less to buy a 3.7 and mod then buy a 5.0. All my mods to my 3.7 would be a must have for the 5.0. A stock 5.0 needs certain mods to bring it up to my acceptable standards and tone.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #255
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I got my V6 cheap, considering the options it already had as well.

I havent't rulled out dumping a 5.0 into it when the V6 gets plan worn out. There will be tons of them available in the boneyard if/when that time comes.

Then again, a nice used Boss may be available....then again, the suspension setup I currently have is close to that...then again, I could win the lottery and have both...

No more "and then"!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #256
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I got my V6 cheap, considering the options it already had as well.

I havent't rulled out dumping a 5.0 into it when the V6 gets plan worn out. There will be tons of them available in the boneyard if/when that time comes.

Then again, a nice used Boss may be available....then again, the suspension setup I currently have is close to that...then again, I could win the lottery and have both...

No more "and then"!
I hear you on that bro. I got my 2011 3.7 for 22,500 and that was back in October 2010. That was a good price back then for the 11 models. The base 5.0 back then were a good 7,500 dollars more and that again was for a bare bones base model.

I haven't come close to 7,500 for all my performance and appearance mods.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #257
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Why buy a 3.7 and keep it stock? Its far less to buy a 3.7 and mod then buy a 5.0. All my mods to my 3.7 would be a must have for the 5.0. A stock 5.0 needs certain mods to bring it up to my acceptable standards and tone.

And it's waaaay less to buy an "old" v8 and make it 1000x faster than the new v6.

It's the circle of life. We can go back and forth all day lol. And apparently everyone here already has haha
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #258
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
And it's waaaay less to buy an "old" v8 and make it 1000x faster than the new v6.

It's the circle of life. We can go back and forth all day lol. And apparently everyone here already has haha
Yet it would take more $ to make a older 2v gt be as fast a new v6. 10k in the 2v and 10k in the new v6. V6 still wins. So it goes both ways

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #259
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yet it would take more $ to make a older 2v gt be as fast a new v6. 10k in the 2v and 10k in the new v6. V6 still wins. So it goes both ways

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Nope I was including purchase price

Long story short:

Buy what you want/can
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #260
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
I would not exactly call a 5.0 expensive these days:

New 2014 Ford Mustang For Sale in MD | Stock 00049605

Or if premium is your thing:

New 2014 Ford Mustang For Sale in MD | Stock 0K140299
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #261
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I could win the lottery and have both...

No more "and then"!

Dude if anyone hits the lotto
Their NOT driving a Mustang

Something RED and from Italy
seems more realistic $$$$$$$

Got V12 ?
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #262

V6 or V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylmva View Post
I am getting my first Mustang after a long time of dreaming about it. Sooo excited!!

I am debating between getting the V6 premium with the leather seats and some other upgrades, or the GT but without the upgrades. I am feeling more inclined to getting the V6 but everybody keeps telling me I should get the V8. I don't want to regret my decision later on. I understand there are 100 hp difference but how much of that can you really enjoy when the speed limits are low... Plus i would be paying more on gas (lower MPG, and premium gas) . So, I feel like instead of paying the extra $ for cool upgrades, I would be paying for extra HP that I might not be able to enjoy, and would make the car fuel more expensive?
I was just in that same quandry recently! although i have heard from several sources that the V8 can use 87 octane, wont give the full HP advantage though but it will not hurt the car (im sure there are different schools of thought on this subject) but yes gas mileage is less but then going from my SUV to this is not much of a difference in that area..I loved the rumble and the awesome power and speed of the GT!! the V6 is pretty impressive too, handles well.. just gotta go with what your gut is telling you.. I was going to get the V6 manual transmission but when i got into the V8 i was like this is the car for me! Good luck! which ever you decide they are both great cars! enjoy!
midnightstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #263

Region: Virginia
Thank you!!!!
ylmva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #264
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Buying an old V8 has nothing to do with this thread so your argument is completely irrelevant. That's like one saying buy an old V8 and making it faster than a 2014 Gt500 would be far cheaper than spending 60-65 K for the Gt500. It has nothing to with this thread. Were not debating old V8's.

I absolutely love how someone interjects about something that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic. Ba ha ha ha.

Matter a fact , I bet this is the same person on a different V6 mustang forum talking about old V8's. Ha ha ha. So let's keep right on topic with the OP's original question, I think they should switch their car insurance!

Or why not just buy 3.7, fully forge the engine, add boost, install additional suspension parts and make more power than than a new Corvette Z06 for far less money!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #265
Road Trip!

Quote:
Buying an old V8 has nothing to do with this thread so your argument is completely irrelevant. That's like one saying buy an old V8 and making it faster than a 2014 Gt500 would be far cheaper than spending 60-65 K for the Gt500. It has nothing to with this thread. Were not debating old V8's.

I absolutely love how someone interjects about something that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic. Ba ha ha ha.

Matter a fact , I bet this is the same person on a different V6 mustang forum talking about old V8's. Ha ha ha. So let's keep right on topic with the OP's original question, I think they should switch their car insurance!

Or why not just buy 3.7, fully forge the engine, add boost, install additional suspension parts and make more power than than a new Corvette Z06 for far less money!

Why not just invest in Spacex and fly to the moooooooon!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #266
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why not just invest in Spacex and fly to the moooooooon!
Ha ha ha! I'm sure I can make an older V8 get to the moon for far less! Super dance. Ha ha ha
Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #267
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
Dude if anyone hits the lotto
Their NOT driving a Mustang
Something RED and from Italy
seems more realistic $$$$$$$

Got V12 ?
Going fishing lately ?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #268
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstang View Post
I was just in that same quandry recently! although i have heard from several sources that the V8 can use 87 octane, wont give the full HP advantage though but it will not hurt the car (im sure there are different schools of thought on this subject) but yes gas mileage is less but then going from my SUV to this is not much of a difference in that area..I loved the rumble and the awesome power and speed of the GT!! the V6 is pretty impressive too, handles well.. just gotta go with what your gut is telling you.. I was going to get the V6 manual transmission but when i got into the V8 i was like this is the car for me! Good luck! which ever you decide they are both great cars! enjoy!
Yes the Coyote will pull timing down if you absolutely must put 87 gas in it. It has a light on the inside that says "you just put that in me?"

It is an 11:1 compression engine, don't put less then 91 in it unless you must,as recommended. 93 is best.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #269
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Totally agree and if someone wants top of the line power don't get the 5.0. That's not top of the line. Gt500 is where you need to be.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #270
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Yes the Coyote will pull timing down if you absolutely must put 87 gas in it. It has a light on the inside that says "you just put that in me?"

It is an 11:1 compression engine, don't put less then 91 in it unless you must,as recommended. 93 is best.

Is that really the compression on it?

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Ha ha ha! I'm sure I can make an older V8 get to the moon for far less! Super dance. Ha ha ha

Lmfaoooo!!! Your funny!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #271
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is that really the compression on it?

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Lmfaoooo!!! Your funny!
Well thanks bro. I do try to entertain! Ha ha ha!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #272
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Your right Kona Blue a fully done up / boosted 3.7 would make more power than a Z06 and eat a 5.0 for lunch.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #273
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Y would you not mod a V6 3.7?

2013 V6, Candy Apple Metallic.
Gt500 spoiler, Gt500 stripes,2010 Gt premium wheels, Pirelli tires,Painted side mirrors covers,Upper and lower black billet grille,Pony projection lights,Boss 302 strut tower brace, SR lowering springs, Barton shifter bracket,Airaid Cai,Bama tuned,BBK shorty headers,Roush AB, 3.73 Ford racing gears.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #274
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

To create a "sleeper". No one expects a plain old unbadged V6 to have any additional power then what it came from the factory....perhaps even the 5.0's.

Case in point; I was at a track one weekend (local private airport). I took my V6 Mustang out to run a few laps, and was parked to check my times. A guy about my age (old fart like me) came up and asked me what I had under the hood. I opened the hood to expopse the V6. He laughed and said he was impressed. He owned a 2012 Boss, and could not believe I was running times around the track comperable to the 5.0's. I mentioned the mods I had done (primarily suspension, but a few in the way of a tune and exhaust/intake).

He shook my hand and walked away smiling.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #275
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post

Your right Kona Blue a fully done up / boosted 3.7 would make more power than a Z06 and eat a 5.0 for lunch.

Word up bro! Ha ha ha
Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #276
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Word up bro! Ha ha ha
Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #277
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To create a "sleeper". No one expects a plain old unbadged V6 to have any additional power then what it came from the factory....perhaps even the 5.0's.

Case in point; I was at a track one weekend (local private airport). I took my V6 Mustang out to run a few laps, and was parked to check my times. A guy about my age (old fart like me) came up and asked me what I had under the hood. I opened the hood to expopse the V6. He laughed and said he was impressed. He owned a 2012 Boss, and could not believe I was running times around the track comperable to the 5.0's. I mentioned the mods I had done (primarily suspension, but a few in the way of a tune and exhaust/intake).

He shook my hand and walked away smiling.
Oh snap bro. That's what I'm talking about. The 3.7's are a treasure chest with power waiting to be unleased baby. Bro, our cars can easily hang with SS Camaro's , Chargers RT's , Challenger RT's , some of the big boy V8's. Long live the 3.7 baby. Were coning out guns a blazon. Ha ha ha.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #278
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh snap bro. That's what I'm talking about. The 3.7's are a treasure chest with power waiting to be unleased baby. Bro, our cars can easily hang with SS Camaro's , Chargers RT's , Challenger RT's , some of the big boy V8's. Long live the 3.7 baby. Were coning out guns a blazon. Ha ha ha.
A stock 3.7 with a PROCHARGER SUPERCHARGER with absolutely no other mods makes 475+ HP , not bad at all.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #279
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
A stock 3.7 with a PROCHARGER SUPERCHARGER with absolutely no other mods makes 475 HP , not bad at all.

I want a procharger
Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #280
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I want a procharger

If you get a procharger you will eat up 5.0s all day long.

check out the link

http://www.lethalperformance.com/sho...ooled-kit.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang